Sage | H. GRANGER

By -outlaws

"I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE WORLD IN YOU" hermione granger x sage whitaker (oc) (top-tdh) part one - completed... More

PART ONE
playlist
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
PART TWO
interlude
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
PART THREE
playlist
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty four

forty three

1.5K 58 6
By -outlaws

Flashes of green and blue shot past a girl, whose feet slammed against the damp stone of Hogwarts. Her chest heaved as she ran wildly through the halls. Jet black hair whipped over this girl's shoulders, moving as though it was the black smoke from a forest fire. Bruised arms pumped at her side, the cool spring air bit at her lungs as she breathed heavily.

She didn't know what she was running to, or who she was running from, but the ice cold fear that ran through her veins kept her legs moving. She passed bodies along her way, familiar faces no longer filled with life. A scream bit at her throat at the sight. The halls that once held so much light and laughter were now littered with death and so much darkness.

"Run all you want, Sage." A voice coming from everywhere and nowhere all at once mocked her. "You can't escape your fate."

Her legs burned with every step, her eyes stung with the beads of sweat that dropped from her hair. A door materialized in the distance. One she had seen so many times before. The room of requirement.

"Sage." The dismembered voice called, taking the form of those who haunted her. The voice was her father, her mother, her sweet Alaric. It made her feel nauseous at the sound. "Oh, Sage."

The voice hissed her name, and Sage let out a strangled cry. Her legs ached for rest, but she pleaded with whatever God above to keep her moving. Her prayers fell on deaf ears as her legs gave out underneath her. She fell to the ground with a pained grunt, her hands and knees catching the brunt of the fall. She hissed in pain as pins and needles pricked at the sights of contact. A sobbed rattled her hollow body. She wanted desperately to stand, to keep going, but it was as though she had become a part of the ground she lay on.

"There is no use in fighting it anymore." The voice tsked. It was Draco speaking now. "Look around, girl." Harry.

"Everywhere you go, everyone you touch, it all ends up the same." Her mother. "Destined for destruction."

"No!" Sage screamed, covering her ears to get away from the voice. (voices?)

"Leave me alone!" Her throat was raw, the familiar metallic taste of blood flooded her senses. The voice laughed at her. She wept at the sound. Please. She begged. Please just stop.

"Stop?" Sage felt a presence next to her as she cowered away from it. Fear took control as her frail body shook. Her hair invaded her sight and her breathing was ragged.

"Don't you get it?" The voice was light, airy, filled with honey. Another sob racked her body. "My love, there is no end in sight."

A forceful grip forced Sage onto her back. Her hair fell from her face and her chin quivered at the sight before her. Hermione stared at the girl with fury. Sage fought the urge to scream, tears falling down the side of her cheeks as Hermione leaned closer to the girl. A touch wiped away the tears that fell, but the touch didn't bring the warmth that she was accustomed to. It filled her with a dread that she couldn't shake.

Hermione straddled Sage, who squirmed to free herself from the grip the girl had on her. Hermione pushed aside Sage's wild hair from her face, her touch grazing Sage's cheek. Sage struggled, cries left her as Hermione laughed wickedly from her spot. Hermione reached next to the girl, a sliver of silver appeared in Sage's vision. Her breath got caught in her throat as she watched Hermione with bated breath. Horror washed across Sage's face as realization dawned on her.

"No, no, no, no, no!" She shrieked. Hermione leaned down closer to Sage's face, her breath burning Sage's cheek as she whispered in her ear.

"Wake up, Sage."

Sage could feel the cold tip of the dagger on her side, teasing her. Her sobs grew louder as she fought against Hermione's hold. It felt as though there were hundreds of people holding her down, wishing for her downfall. Hermione spoke again, the blade pushing harder into Sage's side, drawing blood. Her scream echoed through the hall.

"Wake up, Sage."

The blade entered her again, with more force. The pain was blinding. Hermione raised herself up from her position, moving the bloodied blade from her side to Sage's stomach. Sage's vision cut in and out as the person above her, holding her down no longer resembled her love. With each stab, the person changed. Stab. Alaric. Stab. Harry. Stab. Draco. Stab. Her father. Stab. Her mother. Stab. Hermione.

She wanted to scream, but blood bubbled and left her lips instead.

There was no longer a will to fight for freedom. Maybe they were right. Maybe this was all she was destined for. Destruction. Devastation. Death.

    Sage gasped sharply, her hands flying to her stomach as she pushed herself up from the bed. Sobs left her as she panted from her spot. Hermione stirred in the spot next to her, lifting herself up to look at Sage. When she took in the appearance of the girl next to her, all the fatigue left her system.

    "Sage?" Hermione worriedly spoke. "Sage, what's happening."

    Sage's hands clawed at her chest as she tried to regulate her breathing. Her mind was running at a thousand miles per hour. Tears impaired her vision. The touch of Hermione's hands on her cheeks made her feel sick.

    "Sage, please. I need you to breathe."

    She tried to listen, but the voice from her dream kept echoing in her head. Hermione moved to Sage's side, wrapping her arms around her shoulders. Sage's head fell into the crook of Hermione's neck. Sage tried to push the sound of the blade ripping through flesh out of her mind. She listened to Hermione's voice, but made no sense of the words. The metallic smell of blood stained her nostrils, but slowly, honey and lavender began to overpower it. Her head pounded as she cried into Hermione. This is your Hermione. Sage reminded herself. This is your Hermione.

    Hermione shushed Sage, her hand rubbed her shoulder soothingly. Hermione wanted to help, but what could she do? There had been a shift within Sage. She was no longer the girl who roamed the halls of Hogwarts without an ounce of fear. Hermione couldn't blame her. At times, she couldn't ever fathom that the sorting hat had placed 11-year-old her in Gryffindor. The war had taken a toll on them and this was just collateral. Hermione had only just gotten Sage back, but it felt as though she shared a bed with a phantom of the woman she loved. Maybe Sage would never truly be back.

    Minutes that felt like hours passed and Sage returned back to a dreamless sleep. Hermione wanted to ask what had happened,  but she didn't want to risk another episode. So, Hermione sat still, her arms still around Sage. She peered at the sleeping girl next to her and released a soft sigh at the sight. She slipped out of their position, careful not to wake Sage. She tiptoed out of the room, walking down the stairs into the kitchen. Moonlight flooded the room and the salty scent of ocean water hung in the air. Hermione took a seat at the table and let her head fall into her hands.

"Can't sleep?" Ron whispered, his voice breaking up the heavy air. Hermione turned her head and studied Ron's groggy features.

"Haven't been able to sleep in months, guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall."

Ron hummed in acknowledgement as he walked to the sink, filling up two glasses for him and Hermione. Hermione smiled thankfully at him as he placed the glass in front of her, taking a seat in the space next to her. Silence fell once again in the small kitchen of Shell Cottage, but Hermione didn't mind. Not when it was Ron that she shared it with.

"When do you think that'll be?" Ron asked after a beat. Hermione looked at him in confusion. "The other shoe, I mean. When do you think it'll fall?"

Hermione took a sip of her water, her gaze cast downwards. She didn't have an answer for him. A part of her wanted to say that it would happen the moment they decide to leave this cottage, but there was no sure answer. Not anymore. So, she just gave Ron an unsure shrug.

Silence fell again.

Hermione fiddled with her hands as she thought back to the sleeping girl upstairs. She thought back to the day they reunited, to the touch that she had longed for, to the sweet, desperate kisses shared under the cover of night. She thought of Sage Whitaker and her promise of love. But, as she sat with Ron in the kitchen, both deep in thoughts, that very promise seemed far too good to be true. Wishful thinking, her mother would call it. When Hermione saw Sage for the first time after months without one another, she didn't have a chance to react. She wanted to scream and to cry and to just hold Sage until she couldn't bear it any longer, but she only grabbed her hand and apparated away to the Shell Cottage. It still hadn't settled with Hermione that Sage was back. She was as whole as she could be and she was back. She was alive. She was present. But, not really. Not truly. Hermione longed for what once was. She missed the secret meetings in the astronomy tower, the secret glances across the great hall, the sunsets on the shore of the Black Lake. Wishful thinking, Hermione mused with a heavy heart.

"'Mione?" Ron pulled her from her thoughts. She hummed in acknowledgement, her gaze landing on his tender face."You're crying."

Hermione wiped the tears that stained her cheek. She didn't have an explanation for her tears, but she welcomed the feeling.

"Yeah, I guess I am." Ron grabbed her hand with his own and squeezed it three times. He didn't push any further, because he understood. The two sat silently, listening to the distant waves crashing against the shore.

The morning came quickly and Hermione awoke with the light shining through the thin curtains that lined the windows. Salty air filled her senses as she peeled herself away from the couch's hold. Hermione's unruly curls fell over her shoulder as she took in the sight of Ron sleeping soundly next to her, his arms crossed over his chest. She watched as his lips parted ever so slightly to allow air through, his chest rising and falling with every breath she took. Hermione smiled at the picturesque moment. Soft padding of footsteps danced through the silent air as she stood from her spot on her couch, waking Ron as she did so. Harry entered her vision, tossing a quizzical look her way as he glanced between the pair of them.

Hermione shrugged at his nonverbal question. "Couldn't sleep."

That was enough for Harry. He smiled an understanding smile and moved into the kitchen, where Hermione and Ron sat just hours before. They sat silent at the table, sipping their tea and listened to the sounds of the scenery outside. The sound gave Hermione an overwhelming sense of calm. The serenity wasn't something that she would ever let go of. Not willingly. It was something that she had only ever felt twice in her life. Once with her parents, leaving a theater in London. The city was exploding with colorful lights, traffic was dying down and all that could be heard was the distant sound of music and rain pattering on the cement she stood on. Another was when Hermione met Sage. Truly met her. They sat together in the astronomy tower, silent and basking in the warmth of the sinking sun. Both girls leaned into one another, their hearts intertwined just like their hands. Hearts growing fonder with every second spent next to one another.

"Morning." Sage's tired voice cut through the silence, interrupting Hermione's train of thought. She walked past Hermione, her fingers grazing her back as she did so, sending chills down Hermione's spine. She settled in the open seat next to Luna, across from Hermione. She spared a closed lip smile to Hermione, embarrassment causing pink to tint her cheeks as she thought back to the events of the night before. The nightmare was awful, yes, but there was nothing worse than waking up to an empty bed.

Luna Lovegood stood from her seat and wandered towards the open entrance of the kitchen, her eyes filled with a childlike whimsy as she allowed the wind chime to dance around her fingers. Sage had always envied Luna's delicateness.

"It's beautiful here." Luna spoke softly, a gentle smile matching her soft spoken voice.

"It was our aunt's." Bill Weasley answered her. "We used to come here as kids. The order uses it now as a safe house."

He shared a solemn look with Fleur. "What's left of us at least."

"Muggles think these keep evil away." Luna said dreamily. "But they're wrong."

Harry cleared his throat to get the attention of the others on him.. "I think, uh, I think it's time we talk to the goblin."

Sage couldn't bring herself to look at Harry.

"Sage." He spoke softly from his position by the stairs. She finally met his eyes. "You don't have to do this anymore."

A frown pulled at her lips as she shook her head. She knew he meant more than talking to the others who had kept her company in the cellar of Malfoy Manor. He was giving her an out. A moment to flee. A chance to live. But, as she thought back to all she had lost. She knew there was no way in hell she would leave now. Sage was many things, but a coward was not one.

"I know I don't." She spoke softly. "But, I want to."

He nodded at her. He could see the tiny flicker of fire in her eyes once more. He could see the determination as plain as day on her face. He knew that Sage felt as though she had something to prove to them, but after all they had endured, all that Sage had sacrificed for them, he just wished that Sage knew that there was no need. Not anymore.

Griphook sat in a rocking chair facing a shut window. Sage could see from her position leaning against the doorway that the goblin was tired. She couldn't blame him. She was too.

"How are you?" Sage's voice broke the silence.

"Alive." Griphook's voice was tense.

Harry spoke this time. "You probably don't remember th-"

"That I showed you to your vault the first time you came to Gringotts?" Griphook interrupted Harry, his beady eyes watching cautiously as Harry moved to lean against the windowsill Griphook faced. "Even amongst goblins you're famous, Harry Potter."

Sage hated the way he said Harry's name. It made her feel cold.

"You buried the elf." She moved closer to Hermione, like gravity. Her hand brushed Hermione's, but Hermione made no move. Sage frowned.

"Yes." Harry nodded, a flash of pain twinkled in his eyes.

"And brought me here." Griphook stated, his eyes studying Harry's for some sort of ulterior motive.

"You are a very unusual wizard." Griphook decided. I could have told you that. Sage thought to herself humorlessly.

A beat passed and Griphook gestured towards the sword that rested in the corner of the room, near Harry.

"How'd  you come by this sword?"

Sage quirked a brow as Harry said, "It's complicated."

"Why did Bellatrix Lestrange-" Sage flinched at the name. "-think it should be in her vault at Gringotts?"

Sage felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up as she crossed her arms over her chest. She glanced at Hermione and Ron, but they watched the scene unfold in front of them with stone cold concentration.

"It's complicated." Griphook threw back. Sage frowned at his words. Harry heaved a sigh as he glanced up at the group.

"The sword presented itself to us in a moment of need." He ground out. Sage knew what Griphook was thinking and she hated him for it. "We didn't steal it."

    "There is a sword in Madam Lestrange's vault identical to this one, but it is a fake." Sage stood straighter at his words. "It was placed there this past summer."

    "And she never suspected it was a fake?" Harry asked, bewildered.

    "The replica is very convincing. Only a goblin would recognize that this is the true sword of Gryffindor."

    "Who's the acquaintance?" Hermione cut in. She took a small step forward. Sage watched cautiously.

    "A Hogwarts professor. As I understand it, he's now headmaster."

    "Snape." Sage muttered bitterly. Harry nodded at her in agreement.

    "He put a fake sword in Bellatrix's vault?" Ron questioned, his confusion evident. "Why?"

    "There are more than a few curious things in the vaults at Gringotts." Griphook answered cryptically, causing Sage to roll her eyes in annoyance.

    "And in Madam Lestrange's vault as well?" Harry pushed.

    Griphook leaned back in his chair, his hands now holding onto the arms as he answered, "Perhaps."

    "I need to get into Gringotts." Harry started after a beat. "Into one of the vaults."

    Griphook scoffed. "This is impossible."

    "Alone, yes." Sage chimed. "But, with you? No."

    "Why should I help you?" Griphook asked. He glanced at the group behind him, his eyes scanning Sage with a familiar gaze that landed on her forearm. She crossed her arms again, trying to hide the swirling ink that tainted her skin.

    "I have gold." Harry stated. "Lots of it."

    "As do I." Sage added softly, but she knew by Griphooks demeanor that meant very little to him.

    "I have no interest in gold."

    "Then what?" Ron asked impatiently.

    "That." Griphook pointed a bony finger at the glistening sword in the corner. "That is my price."

Sage felt bile in her throat every time she caught a glimpse of the sword. Her mind brought her back to her dream. The haunting voices chasing her, the feeling of steel tearing through flesh, the taste of blood choking her, the faces of her past, present, and future flashing in her vision with every puncture. She shook her head to get rid of the image, but it lingered there. Mocking her. Harry looked at the sword and went back to Griphook. He moved from his spot, walking past the goblin and the group out into the stairwell. They followed suit, leaving the goblin to his own devices. Sage felt uneasy as she listened to the group talk.

    "Are you thinking there's a horcrux in Bellatrix's vault?" Hermione asked in a hushed whisper.

    "Well, she was terrified when she thought we'd been in there." Harry explained. Sage listened intently to his reasoning. "She kept asking you what else we'd taken. I'd bet you anything there's another horcrux in there. Another piece of his soul. Let's find it and kill it. Then, we're one step closer to killing him."

    "It sounds too easy, Harry." Sage quipped. Ron nodded his head in agreement.

    "She's right. What happens when we find it?" Ron asked. "How are we supposed to destroy it now that you have given the sword to Griphook?"

    Harry's hand rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I'm still working on that part."

    The sound of the door behind the group opening grabbed their attention. Fleur exited the room, exhaustion evident on her still radiant face.

    "He's weak." She spoke, her french accent thick. Harry nodded at the blonde woman and moved past her into the room. The group followed suit, greeted with the sight of a withered Ollivander. Sage's frown deepened as she caught sight of him. He took the brunt of the torture at the Manor. Sage was a traitor and was treated as such, but Ollivander had information they wanted, and they used any means to pry it out of the old man.

    "Mr. Ollivander, I need to ask you a few questions." Harry spoke, his voice gentle as the man turned to look at the group of teens before him. His eyes lingered on Sage longer than the rest. She felt her heart ache at the sound of his frail voice.

    "Anything, my boy, anything."

    "Would you mind identifying this wand?" Harry moved closer to Ollivander, taking a seat on the bed next to the man. "We need to know if it's safe to use."

    Ollivander nodded and grabbed the dark wooden wand that Harry held out. He cleared his throat as he began inspecting it.

    "Walnut." He mumbled. "Dragon Heartstring. 12 and three quarter inches. Unyi-"

    Ollivander stuttered over his words, turning to look at Harry. "Unyielding."

    "This belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange. Treat it carefully."

    Harry nodded and took the wand back from Ollivander. He then handed another, slimmer wand to the man. One that Sage recognized with a heavy heart. "And this?"

    "Hawthorn." Ollivander started, twirling the hand. "And unicorn hair. Ten inches. Reasonably pliant. This was the wand of Draco Malfoy."

    Sage furrowed a brow at his words.

"Was?" She voiced. "Is it not still?"

"Well perhaps not, if you won it from him." Ollivander informed them as he studied the wand. He hands it back to Harry, glancing at Sage with weary eyes. "I sense its allegiance has changed."

"You talk about wands as if they have feelings. . ." Harry paused and shifted in his seat. ". . . and can think." He finished.

Ollivander managed to offer a knowing smile as he leaned closer to Harry. A sparkle in his eye reminded Sage of when she first got her wand at Ollivander's shop before their first year. Her heart grew heavy as she thought back to those times of innocence.

"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter." Ollivander spoke softly. "That much has always been clear to those of us who have studied wandlore."

Harry paused for a second, glancing at his friends. Hermione gave him a nod of encouragement from her spot next to Ron. Sage glanced at her, a cold feeling washing over her.

"And what do you know about the deathly hallows?" Harry asked, taking a short breath.

"It is rumored that there are three." Ollivander said, leaning back in the chair he occupied. "The elder wand, the cloak of invisibility. To hide you from your enemies. And the resurrection stone. To bring back loved ones from the dead. Together, they make one the master of death."

A chill went down Sage's spine. A bad feeling made her heart beat speed up and her hands get clammy.

"But few truly believe that such objects exist." Ollivander continued.

"Do you?" Harry asked. "Do you believe they exist, sir?"

"Well, I see no reason to put stock into an old wives tale." Ollivander chuckled nervously.

"You're lying." Sage spoke knowingly.

"You know one exists." Harry continued to push. "You told him about it. You told him about the elder wand and where he could go looking for it."

Sage thought back to the nights where all that could be heard was Ollivanders weeping and incoherent mumbled. She wondered how long it took for him to break. Ollivander stared at them with an unreadable expression.

"He tortured me." Ollivander spoke, a misty look in his eyes. Sage let her gaze fall, the memories of the cellar coming back full force. She could hear his voice waver as he spoke. "Besides, I only conveyed rumors. There's no telling whether he will find it."

Harry had a grim look in his eyes as he watched Ollivander with sorrow. "He has found it, sir."

"That's enough." Sage spoke softly as Ollivander looked up in shock at Harry's words. "Let him rest."

Harry nodded at Sage and stood from his seat on the bed. As the group began to leave the small room, Ollivander spoke once more.

"He's after you, Mr. Potter." He paused for a second. "If it's true what you say, and he has the elder wand. I'm afraid you really don't stand a chance."

Harry stood tall, a deep sigh left his lips.

"Well, I suppose I will have to kill him before he finds me, then."

With those words left hanging in the air, the group left Ollivander to his thoughts. They moved back down the stairs and Sage excused herself to the bathroom.

She turned the sink on and allowed the water to fill her cupped hands. She splashed her face, trying to rid herself of the thoughts of the manor. As she looked up and at her reflection, a gasp of alarm escaped her lips. Behind her stood Alaric. His face was no longer the pristine version she had remembered, but one that was charred and burnt. Tears welled in her eyes as she watched him in horror. He watched her, making no move to speak. She felt her chin tremble with fear as she stared into the eyes that once held so much life. Her nightmare haunted her. The voice (voices?) echoed on loop.

You can't escape your fate. The voice laughed at her. You can't escape your fate. She faced her reflection in the mirror once more. You can't escape your fate. It was Alaric's voice now, mocking her. His ghostly figure didn't move an inch, but she heard him loud and clear. You can't escape your fate. She shut her eyes tightly as a quiet cry left her trembling body. The feeling of the bloodied dagger digging into her flesh overcame her senses. She could taste the blood again. You can't escape your fate. She could feel him behind her, waiting for her to hear him, to face all that she had done. She clutched the sides of the porcelain sink as she built up the courage to look back at the mirror. When she finally did, she found something even more terrifying. Herself.

Alaric's voice still rattled in her head, his deep tenor sending chills down her arms. You can't escape, Sage.

Maybe, Sage thought morbidly to herself as another sob left her worn body.  Maybe I don't want to.

A/N

hi all.

this took me forever. my bad. but, i like the chapter a lot and I hope you guys enjoy it.

let me know what you think, what you like/dislike, or just say hi in the comments.

until next time

-outlaws

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 188 14
i was a kid but i wasn't clueless, someone who loves you, wouldn't do this. ⦗ sorcerers stone ⇾ deathly hallows ron weasley x female! oc ...
124K 3.7K 78
❝i'll show you every version of yourself tonight. ❞ in which a studious Slytherin finds herself slowly falling for the Chosen One. harry potter x fem...
53.3K 573 68
Mallorie Valentine and Fred Weasley had been best friends their whole lives. Their parents gone to school together so they had spent a lot of their c...
26.7K 1K 29
[ FULLY EDITED ] Lucius Malfoy has been fatally ill for months. He's so ill, in fact, he's forbidden anyone to help take care of him. Draco's tried e...