thirteen

When Sage had arrived at King's Cross station, she immediately saw the flaming hair of Mrs

When Sage had arrived at King's Cross station, she immediately saw the flaming hair of Mrs. Weasley, Ron, the messy hair of Harry, and finally the bushy hair of Hermione. Sage gulped down the uprising nerves and made her way to the group. When Sage had arrived she had noticed the slight look of distrust on Ron's face, but sent him a timid smile nonetheless. She turned to face Mrs. Weasley and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear while doing so.

    "Thank you for having me this Christmas. It means a lot." Mrs. Weasley gave a tight-lipped smile, but Sage could see the way her eyes softened at her words.

    "No one should have to be alone on Christmas. Now, come along dearies." Sage followed behind the group, lagging behind everyone else. It was obvious that she felt uncomfortable, but when the warmth of Hermione's hand intertwining with hers overcame her, every ounce of uncomfortableness and doubt washed away. Sage looked over at Hermione who had her eyes trained ahead of them. She smiled warmly and squeezed Hermione's hand thankfully. Together, they walked with happiness in their hearts and lightning in their veins.

    Grimmauld Place was old. That was the first thing Sage had noticed. There were cobwebs that surrounded the light fixtures that hanged from the ceiling. Dust littered every crook and cranny there was. But, Sage didn't mind. Though Grimmauld Place was old, it told a story. A story that was written amongst the walls which were covered with dull, cracking wallpaper.

    "Please, excuse the mess." A gruff voice had brought Sage out of her admiring state. There stood Sirius Black with raised brows, most likely expecting a gasp of shock or a look of disgust. But, as per usual, Sage surprised him. She smiled a bright smile that seemed to put the stars to shame.

    "Nonsense, it's glorious. Thank you for letting me into your home." Sirius was at a loss of words. In Sage's eyes, he could see an indescribable, yet familiar, fire.

    Hermione had walked out of the dining room and back into the foyer where Sage and Sirius were. She smiled at Sage and walked towards the two of them.

    "Hello, Sirius, i think Mrs. Weasley is looking for you." Sirius nodded towards her and bid farewell to the Whitaker girl. "C'mon, Sage, i'll show you where you're staying."

    Hermione led Sage up the staircase silently. As they walked, Sage trailed her fingers on the wall of the home. She passed by the covered portrait of Sirius's mother, Walburga Black. She could hear the faint, bitter muttering of the portrait. She cringed when she heard the string of curses and slurs. Hermione led Sage down a dark hall that only had the slight illumination of candlelight. Hermione had stopped suddenly, causing Sage to run into her. Sage had muttered a soft apology, a slight blush appearing on her cheeks.

    "Uh, Ginny and I also stay in here. That's okay, right?" Hermione asked Sage cautiously. Sage had smiled at her worried tone and nodded.

    "Yeah, it's great."