The Long Way Home (Dean Winch...

By winchester-girl67

After a fight with her brother the reader finds herself hitchhiking during a thunderstorm to get home. When t... More

Part 1
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Epilogue

Part 2

555 21 23
By winchester-girl67

The storm really did a number on the rest stop, roof shingles were  littered across the parking lot and trees were snapped in half, leaning  against the power lines and ready to give at any moment. Probably the  reason why there was still no hot water or electricity in the room when  you woke up.

It was rough on Baby too, hail the size of golf  balls left their mark in the windshield while the rear window was  shattered completely by a tree branch so large that Dean had to enlist  in the help of his brother and the motel clerk just to remove it. There  were a few dents as well and some debris had left only one working  headlight, but it was nothing that Dean said he couldn't fix with time  and the right tools. Still, you could tell he hated seeing her like  that, she was his Baby, which you came to realize is what he  affectionately called his car. You refused to admit that you were a  little jealous of a car.

Your clothes were mostly dry by morning,  so you changed back into your jeans and tee, though you kept on Dean's  purple flannel. It was soft and warm and your jacket was still a little  damp from the night before; so, you figured he wouldn't miss it.

After  a few temporary fixes to Baby, you were on the road again, stomachs  growling. Dean mentioned getting breakfast but without power to the only  dining establishment around, you'd have to wait until you got to the  next town over and hopefully they hadn't been hit by the same storm. You  sat in the backseat this time since you were still a little sleepy and  Sam didn't look like he was in the mood to be scrunched up back there.

There  was only so far you guys could get on the highway before you were  detoured away from the first overpass which was filled with debris and  an overturned tractor trailer. A number of other routes were flooded out  as well, according to the radio and the only other way around would  take an extra couple of hours to get through. This certainly was going  to be the long way home, but you didn't mind all that much with the  company you kept.

The steady flap of the plastic covering the  shattered rear window was muffled by the sound of the wind rushing by;  the engine purring and lulling you to sleep in the backseat of Baby.  Dean smiled, glancing in the rear-view mirror at you slumped over on the  door, cheek pressed up against the window as you rested your eyes. His  gaze not going unnoticed by his little brother sitting next to him, Sam  giving him a dubious look. Dean wasn't easily taken with a girl, not  like this, not the way he was acting head over heels for you and it made  Sam a little worried.

You were passed out in the backseat of  Baby, at least that's what the guys thought as they spoke in hushed  tones in the front seat, trying not to wake you. The truth was  you never really could fall asleep completely in the car, not since you  were a child and you could tell that they were trying to hide something  from you. The sound of wind and plastic flapping drowned out most of  their conversation and though you weren't intentionally trying to  eavesdrop, that's exactly what wound up happening when their voices  raised slightly.

"It's along the way, what's the trouble?" Said Dean, his voice was a little deeper, gruffer.

"I just don't think it's a good idea." His little brother shrugged, shaking his head.

"What  did you want me to do, Sam? Leave her on the side of the road in the  middle of a tornado or maybe back at that motel- I remember the clerk  really liked her, did you see the way he was checking her out this  morning?!" Dean growled and you thought you caught a hint of jealousy in  his tone; though, you hadn't noticed the clerk looking in your  direction at all.

"All I'm saying is that you're not responsible  for her, man. You've known her for less than twelve hours and you're  already acting like you're in-"

"Shut it, Sammy." Dean snapped,  rubbing the scruff on his chin, glancing in the rear-view mirror to make  sure you were still asleep. "She was scared and I was comforting her  and now I'm driving her home, that's all." Your heart sank a little at  that comment and you wished you could actually fall asleep so you  wouldn't have to listen to anymore.

"I'm just saying you're  acting like a jealous, protective boyfriend when chances are you'll  probably never see this girl again once we drop her off in Lawrence."  Sam bit his cheek, he knew he was just telling his brother everything he  already knew.

"You don't think I know that, Sammy. Just one time  I'd like to be selfish and actually get close to somebody, like her.  Last night, it was like nothing else mattered, it was just us." Dean  said, glancing between his little brother and the road. "Don't I deserve  to be happy, if only for an hour or two, huh?"

Dean had been in  low spirits lately, just going through the motions and he did deserve to  have something good or someone good, like you. Sam knew he deserved  that for more than a couple of hours too, but he didn't want Dean  getting his hopes up just to get squashed later. He knew the feeling  Dean was describing and how the weight of their life could drag you  down; but he also knew what it was like to lose someone to it too and  he'd be damned if he didn't try to protect his big brother from a pain  as deep as that.

"I know but, Dean, would you really drag her into all of this- this life?" What did that mean? Suddenly, contract work seemed a little shady to you.

"Course  not, but it doesn't mean I can't take her out to dinner." Dean argued,  knowing it was probably for the best if he didn't. It wouldn't end at  one dinner and he knew that. He sighed heavily, Sam reaching over and  squeezing his shoulder reassuringly.

"The apple pie life just isn't in the cards for us, you know that better than anyone, De-"

"I  got it, Sam. Enough, okay." He shushed, watching you stir awake in the  backseat. You really just couldn't listen to them anymore, it made your  heart ache and your head hurt.

"Hey," you yawned, playing it up a bit and stretching out your arms.

"Hiya,  sleepyhead." Dean smiled, locking eyes with you in the rear-view mirror  for a moment. "Sorry, this is taking so long, the storm damaged more  roads than I thought and we've had to detour quite a bit." Nothing that  you didn't already know.

"S'okay, I don't mind." You shrugged.

Despite  everything you'd just heard, you still felt safe with him, even if you  knew he was hiding something and you weren't sure about his feelings for  you. You knew better than to just call him out on it though; the last  time you did that, you wound up on the side of the road in the middle of  a tornado.

You still thought it was a little odd your brother  never doubled back for you that night. Sure, you definitely had your  fair share of arguments, but neither of you were really cruel enough to  dump each other off in the middle of nowhere. Especially since you  wouldn't even rank that fight in your top ten.

You stared out the  side window of Baby, golden fields of wheat and corn whipping by for  the second hour in a row, stretching as far as the eye could see. It was  hypnotizing and you caught yourself almost falling asleep, your head  actually nodding and bumping into the glass. You rubbed your forehead,  glancing over at the guys who looked the other way; thankful they hadn't  heard and your embarrassment went unnoticed.

"We're coming up on  the state line soon, you guys wanna grab some grub in Kansas city?"  Dean asked, glancing back at you, you hummed along with Sam.

You  were starving and as much as you were exhausted from travelling, you  didn't mind spending more time with them. With Dean. You weren't in any  rush to get back to your brother's house either, since you were  currently staying with him while your apartment was being fumigated for  mold.

"Sweetheart, you okay? You're kinda quiet today." Dean questioned, you could see how his brows furrowed in the mirror.

"Yeah, just thinking." You sighed, leaning your head back against the window.

It  was half true, you worried about how things would play out when you got  home and you weren't exactly sure what you were getting yourself into  with these guys. You found yourself having feelings for Dean after last  night, how could you not; but still, you barely knew him. Though,  despite your hesitations, they didn't strike you as bad guys and so far  had treated you better than your own flesh and blood.

"About?" He glanced back for a moment, his green eyes glowing with the way the sunlight hit them.

You  couldn't tell him the truth, not the whole truth, so you thought for a  moment. You wondered if he'd kick you out of the car like your brother  did, if he knew you had eavesdropped on them earlier. Somehow, you  didn't think so, but you didn't want to press your luck for the time  being either.

"My brother, I guess. I'm supposed to be staying with him this week but after yesterday, I'm not sure I want to." You said.

"Not to pry, but what happened between you guys?" Sam questioned, turning in his seat and resting his arm over the back of it.

"He  broke up with his girlfriend of five years, which isn't like him. I  know he loves her, I even helped him pick out the ring he was going to  propose with. And when I asked him about it, he wouldn't give me a  reason. That's why we fought, 'cuz I wouldn't let it go." You explained,  seeing a sign pass by that read 'Kansas City ahead 10 miles'.

"Sounds like somebody else I know, who can't let things go." Sam chuckled, nudging his brother in the shoulder.

"Watch it, Sammy." Dean growled, giving Sam the best bitch face you'd ever seen.

"Geez, lighten up, Dean. It was a joke." He taunted, nudging Dean again, a little harder this time.

"I swear, one more time and I'm pulling this car over." Dean warned, side-eyeing his little brother.

"Are you guys always like this?" You laughed, a grin spreading across your face.

"Usually  he'd hit me back by now, but he's trying to make a good impression."  Sam chuckled, wiggling his eyebrows, Dean glaring at him. "Do you have a  good relationship with your brother?"

"You mean, when he's not  tossing me out of the car on the side of the road in the middle of a  thunderstorm." You ranted. "Actually... yeah. Yesterday was a little out  of character for him."

"What do you mean out of character?" Dean questioned.

"Uh... unusual, unlikely, not normal... out of character." You teased, you couldn't let Sam have all the fun.

"You're hilarious." Dean said, rolling his eyes and biting back the smirk tugging at his lips.

"I try." You grinned at him through the rear-view mirror.

"Sure, you don't get mad when she does it." It was Sam's turn to roll his eyes.

"It's cute when she does it," he shrugged, smiling.

You  sat forward, wrapping your arms around Dean's shoulders from behind in a  poor attempt at a hug. He seemed to appreciate the gesture though and  squeezed your arm with a large hand. His palm resting on your forearm  for a moment, thumb brushing over your skin underneath the rolled up  sleeve of his flannel shirt that you wore. His eyes never leaving the  road ahead.  

"I think you're cute, too." You pecked his cheek,  Dean's face turning all shades of red before you released him and leaned  back in your seat.

"He's adorable," Sam smirked, batting his  eyelashes. This time Dean did smack him. "Ouch," Sam frowned, rubbing  the back of his head.

"Sweetheart, seriously, how off has your brother been acting and for how long?" Dean asked.

"I  dunno, just the past couple of days, he's been a bit grumpier and more  irritable. Kinda like he's got PMS." You joked dryly, scrunching your  forehead a little. "Why?"

"Have you noticed any odd smells lately?" Sam chimed in, turning in his seat again to face you.

"Um, not really... Oh, I guess his car kinda stunk on the way home. Does that count?" You questioned with a shrug.

"What did it smell like?"

"Y-you  guys are starting to creep me out." You stuttered, twiddling the hem of  Dean's flannel between your fingers and avoiding eye contact for a  moment. Suddenly aware of how little you knew about them and feeling  uncomfortable in their interrogation.

"I know it makes no sense,  Y/N and maybe there's nothing to it, but please, just indulge us." Sam  said, giving you a soft smile and a look that resembled a puppy-dog.  Oddly, it did make you feel more at ease.

"...rotting eggs, I  suppose, but we just passed a cow farm at the time." You explained, Sam  and Dean sharing a knowing look that confused the hell out of you.  "Geez, is this some sort of kink I don't know about?" You joked, trying  to lighten the mood. "What is it with you guys? Now you're acting  weird."

"Y/N-"

"It's probably nothing." Sam said to his brother, effectively cutting him off.

"Uh-huh,  yeah. Cow shit typically isn't so fascinating where I come from. You  guys are from Lawrence too, right? That's where you're headed?"

"Lebanon,  actually," Dean answered before Sam could interrupt him again, he was  tired of lying to you and he didn't see the harm in telling you. "So,  it's not far, but we were born in Lawrence."

"Wow, two guys from  Lebanon should definitely not be that intrigued by cow shit. Which leads  me to think you guys aren't in the farming community and I don't know  too many contractors that travel for work out of state regularly. So,  what is it that you guys really do?" You paused, neither one of them  caring to respond, which annoyed you to no end. "What? You get to ask  all sorts of questions and I don't?"

Dean opened and closed his  mouth a couple of times, but never found the right words. So, he chose  to keep quiet instead, as did his little brother, who eventually turned  away from you. Yup, here it was; you were going to get yourself kicked  out of yet another car for the second day in a row. Why couldn't you just keep your big mouth shut,  you thought. You were either incredibly shy around them or bold to the  point that you made things awkward, there was no in-between.

A  couple of minutes later, Dean took the off ramp into Kansas City. Only  speaking up to ask if the diner he pulled into would suffice. It was a  late lunch by the time the food came and it was uncomfortable with the  lack of conversation, to say the least. You felt bad, these guys were  sweet, even paying your way back home and so what, they wanted to keep a  part of their life private from someone they had just met. What was  wrong with that? Just because you were feeling a little uneasy and  mostly towards your brother, if you were being honest, that didn't mean  that these guys didn't have the same doubts about you.

"Sorry, I  didn't mean to- Your business is your own, I was just deflecting. Can  you guys talk to me again?" You pleaded, pushing around the fries on  your plate.

"Sweetheart, look, our line of work is dangerous and  we generally just don't like talking about it. We wanted to make sure  that we aren't leaving you in a bad situation when we get to you home,  is all. Are we good?" Dean questioned, giving you a sheepish smile.

You  nodded, continuing to nibble at your food until Dean stole a fry from  your plate, eliciting a giggle from you. You pushed his hand away when  he tried again a minute later. The rest of the meal was quickly filled  with more teasing and laughter. You really did like hanging out with  them and kind of hoped there was a longer way home.

You were  making your way back to the car after lunch, when Dean grabbed your hand  and pulled you in the opposite direction. Sam, who was behind the both  of you, rolled his eyes playfully and continued walking towards the  car.

"Dean?" You questioned when he came to a stop behind the diner, staring out at the open field.

"Check it out," he whispered, pointing up at the sky with his free hand.

There  was a large murmuration of starlings swooping and spiralling together  in dazzling formations against the bright blue sky. You could hear the  rustle of their wings in the wind as they changed directions once more.

"It's so beautiful," you breathed, lacing your fingers through his and squeezing his large palm.

In  contrast to the way the sky came alive the night before, it really was a  spectacular sight. The way they flew amongst the clouds that could  easily change into something truly alive at a moment's notice. There was an ocean above you, you thought and perhaps, just as unpredictable as the real thing.

"Mhm, it is." Dean was looking at you.

You  noticed, unable to bite back a smile as your cheeks flushed. You turned  to him, quickly leaning in on your tiptoes to peck a chaste kiss to his  lips before you lost the nerve.

Being so afraid of the storm  last night, you really allowed yourself to be close with Dean. The  kissing, the comforting touches, they were something out of instinct and  necessity, but now, out of the storm's shadow, you were reverting back  into that shyness. Or was it butterflies; you weren't sure, it had been  so long since you felt something like this for another person, maybe  even ever.

"You're sweet." You said.

"Not if it's true,"  he wrapped an arm around you, turning you and pulling your back against  his chest; his chin coming to rest on your shoulder and his arms snugly  around your waist. You sighed in contentment, laying your hands on top  of his as you spent a few more minutes watching the birds.

When  you eventually made your way back to the car, Sam was standing around  outside talking on the phone, invested in what seemed like an important  conversation. Though, he seemed to cut it short when he spotted you, for  whatever reason.

"Who was that?" Dean asked, your hand linked together with his.

"That was Garth, he- uh, has a job for us." Sam said, clearing his throat.

"Thought you wanted some time off?" Dean frowned.

"This one's in our backyard, so I told him we'd take care of it." Sam explained, giving you a sidelong glance.

Dean  nodded his head, clearly understanding whatever it was Sam wasn't  saying in front of you. You decided to let it go, knowing that they were  uncomfortable talking about their line of work. Even if the curiosity  was eating at you.

You all settled back into the car and set out  towards Lawrence. Sam took the backseat this time saying he wanted to  stretch out, but you thought he was just trying to be nice and let you  sit next to Dean. Since, he saw the way you two came walking back from  behind the diner, hands entwined and Dean bumping your hip with his as  his eyes crinkled with the brightest smile Sam had seen his brother wear  in a long time. His own heart ached and he didn't want to take that  away from him, even if it would only last a short while longer.

It  took about another hour to make it to Lawrence. Somewhere along the way  you had kicked off your boots and laid your feet in Dean's lap, leaning  back against the passenger side door. His free hand rubbing soothingly  over your calves and down to your toes, tickling the underside of your  feet every now and again to draw your attention.

Sam had talked  your ear off for a good half hour, telling you stories about Dean when  they were younger. Dean protested every time one of them included  something he considered to be embarrassing, which was often and he would  offer you equally humiliating tidbits about Sam.

You cringed  when you saw the sign stating that you were entering Lawrence. You  weren't ready to say goodbye to them, especially Dean who you felt a  strong connection with. It was easy with him, almost like you'd known  him for years and Sam was quickly becoming a close friend, making it  even more difficult to part ways. Just being there in the car with them,  travelling and talking; it felt natural.

"So, where are we  dropping you, sweetheart?" Dean asked with a sad smile, you thought  maybe he felt the same pang at the notion of you leaving them. You could  hope, at least.

"My brother's house isn't much further." You  said, directing him down a couple of streets, reluctantly pulling on  your boots. "Why do I feel like I'm never going to see you guys again?"  You asked when he pulled up in front of your brother's house.

Dean  left Baby idling with that low rumble you'd grown to love the sound of.  You all got out of the car to say your goodbyes, Sam ruffling your hair  before slipping into the passenger seat to give you and Dean some  privacy.

Dean didn't say anything, he just grabbed your shoulders  and pulled you in for a firm hug. His arms tugging at your waist,  molding your body against his for a long minute. Then he kissed the  crown of your head and pulled away.

"I'll call you." He murmured,  his green eyes searching yours and for a moment, you thought he might  kiss you, but then he backed away.

"Yeah? 'Cuz you still owe me that dinner." You teased, tucking your bottom lip between your teeth.

"I will," Dean nodded.

"Liar. You don't even have my number." You huffed, glaring at him and crossing your arms over your chest.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, sucking in a breath and stepping back towards you.

Dean  cupped your cheek with his palm, his eyes were a little glassy when he  rested his forehead against yours. His thumb swiping over your lips,  trying to erase the frown you wore. He needed to make a clean break and  if he had your number he would call, no question. You didn't need to be a  casualty just because he couldn't control his feelings, but you did  deserve a proper goodbye.

He dipped his head and tilted your chin  up slightly so his lips met yours. It was slow and soft at first,  quickly turning heated and needy when you parted your lips for him. His  tongue sliding between them to taste and explore your mouth. You  shivered when his hand slid around your waist to rest on the small of  your back, the other still cupping your cheek and guiding the kiss.

You  didn't want to break away from him, you had this sinking feeling that  Dean would drive off into the sunset and you would never see him again.  That wasn't what you wanted and he seemed to feel the same, but  something kept him at a distance. Probably whatever that phone call was  really about and for some reason, Dean let it get between you.

Eventually,  the need for air was too great, your lungs burning and forcing you to  pull away from him. His hot breath fanning over your flushed, kiss  swollen skin, mixing with yours as you panted, trying to catch your  breath.

"Be good, Y/N." His hand fell away from your cheek and you opened your eyes as he turned away from you.

You  stood frozen in place as Dean opened his car door and slid back in  behind the wheel. Dean locked eyes with you for a final moment before  Baby started to roll away from the curb and he stepped on the gas.

He  glanced back at you once more in the side mirror from down the street,  then turned the corner and the old muscle car was out of sight; though,  you could still hear the rumble of the engine echoing in the distance.

Dean  was biased, he knew that by the way he felt for you. So, maybe it was  nothing but he couldn't shake this feeling that something was off, that  he shouldn't have left you behind.

"Be safe, Winchester. We'll  meet again... I'm sure of it." You said, trying to convince yourself and  hugging his purple flannel around your waist before you spun on your  heel, jogging up to your brother's front door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

174 0 12
Summary: You're on the run from your past, speeding down the interstate in the rain, when an animal crosses in front of you. You slam on the brakes t...
5.6K 77 31
So this story is mainly short little scenes i guess. kinda for like shifting realities for short amounts of time. This isn't a consecutive story, it'...
104K 2.4K 34
Ranking #10 in DeanWinchester 10/3/2021 Ranking #1 in SPNFanFiction 1/25/2021 [COMPLETED VERSION-UNDER EDITING] (This fanfiction is based off season...
272 16 5
This may not have been her first choice - or her second - as to where she wanted to spend Christmas, with the one person she avoids the most. Maybe b...