Don't Say You Love Me

By lrm2323

*Completed* Teegan Walters has had to spend one week each summer in a tiny beach town in California with her... More

Chapter ONE
Chapter TWO
Chapter THREE
Chapter FOUR
Chapter FIVE
Chapter SIX
Chapter SEVEN
Chapter EIGHT
Chapter NINE
Chapter TEN
Chapter ELEVEN
Chapter TWELVE
Chapter THIRTEEN
Chapter FOURTEEN
Chapter FIFTEEN
Chapter SIXTEEN
Chapter SEVENTEEN
Chapter EIGHTEEN
Chapter NINETEEN
Chapter TWENTY
Chapter TWENTY ONE
Chapter TWENTY TWO
Chapter TWENTY THREE
Chapter TWENTY FIVE
Chapter TWENTY SIX
Chapter TWENTY SEVEN
Chapter TWENTY EIGHT
Chapter TWENTY NINE
Chapter THIRTY
Chapter THIRTY ONE
Chapter THIRTY TWO
Chapter THIRTY THREE
Chapter THIRTY FOUR
Chapter THIRTY FIVE
Chapter THIRTY SIX
Chapter THIRTY SEVEN
Chapter THIRTY EIGHT
Chapter THIRTY NINE
Chapter FORTY
Chapter FORTY ONE
Chapter FORTY TWO
Chaprer Forty Three
Chapter FORTY FOUR
Chapter FORTY FIVE
Chapter FORTY SIX
Chapter FORTY SEVEN
Chapter FORTY EIGHT
Chapter FORTY NINE
Chapter FIFTY
Chapter FIFTY ONE
Epilogue

Chapter TWENTY FOUR

36 9 25
By lrm2323

Teegan

This shift at the rental hut seems to fly by.

    It's already after 5P.M. when I am dragging a boat out behind the building towards the rack and I see Cohen and Rex. They are down a bit, closer to the pier, but I know it's them. It's been a busy Wednesday on the beach, tons of families in the sand and people in the water. I had eight paddle board rentals out just today, which is a lot. Things are slowing down now as it's dinner time and people are heading back to eat.

   I am definitely getting stronger now as I can hoist the boat up onto the empty rack without as much struggling, but I still grunt a bit. Maybe I'll have some muscles by the time the summer ends. Heading back to the building, I slip inside and sit down, reaching for my water bottle just as a man approaches the counter.

   I stand up again. "Hello, how can I help you?"

   "Teegan, right?" he asks me, and since he's not familiar looking at all, I am confused.

   "Um, yeah."

   "I'm Derek Turner. Luke's dad? I golf with Francis weekly," he tells me, like I would care about that.

   Okay, so he's a friend of my mom's husband. Cool. Why does he know me?

   "Oh, well, nice to meet you," I say anyway.

   "Yes, you too. I just wanted to pre-book a paddle board for tomorrow afternoon. My younger son wants to learn, and I'm off tomorrow, so I thought we'd give it a shot."

   Good, at least he's here to actually use the rental services.

   "Of course. Here's the form to fill out," I say, and unlock an iPad to turn towards him, where the digital forms are. "Pick what time you want and for how many hours, and the total will be there at the bottom. You can pre-pay or pay tomorrow."

   "Great. Thank you." He starts filling out the form just as I see Rex and Cohen coming up to the counter, from the right.

   They are sort of hovering behind Luke's dad and I'm trying not to make eye contact with them, but Cohen has his eyes on me.

   "Alright, I think I got it all," Mr. Turner says and then notices Rex behind him. He gives the iPad back to me, along with his credit card, and turns to Rex. "Rex! Hey, son! Nice seeing you."

   "Hi Mr. Turner," Rex answers politely. "Renting a boat?"

   "Oh, a paddle board for Oliver, tomorrow," the man answers. "See you at the scrimmage tomorrow evening? Oh, ask your dad if he'd like to come help coach? We could use the extra bodies."

   Rex nods but doesn't say anything, then remains quiet until Mr. Turner is paid and on his way. When Cohen approaches the counter, he spreads his hands out onto it and taps his fingers. Rex snorts.

   "Can I help you?" I ask them, but can't help but laugh.

   "Oh, yes ma'am, can we please have -"

   Rex elbows Cohen in the side and he laughs and stops talking.

   "Hey, Teegan. How are you?" he asks me.

   I haven't seen Rex since Saturday night and I suddenly remember how he was in a rush to get out of there once I was home safely. He's so tall and broad shouldered and really looks exactly like a football player. It's strange how he and Cohen are best friends - they seem like opposites.

   "I'm good," I say, and nod. But I'm looking at Cohen.

   He has not taken his eyes off of me and now he's giving me a far too serious look. I just saw him a few hours ago on the beach, just down from the house, but he seems different now.

   "I hear we're friends now," Rex tells me, and it sounds weird. It seems like being friends with me is the last thing he wants to do. But suddenly he smiles and I see a dimple appear on his cheek and I can finally relax.

   "Cohen promised," I say plainly. "Take it up with him."

   "I'm fine with it," Rex tells me, still smiling. "But I don't want any broken hearts in August when I leave for L.A."

   "I'll try to keep from crying too much," I say, but I notice that Cohen is still acting as serious as ever.

   "Hey," I say to him, hoping for something, anything.

   "Hey," he repeats.

   It's awkward and the next minute feels like ten. Rex finally clears his throat and says he has to get home because his mom has been texting him about dinner.

   "You wanna come, Co?"

   Cohen shakes his head. "Not hungry. Catch you later? Come by if you want, we'll be out back."

   Rex looks like he doesn't understand but then finally nods and waves to me. "Bye, Teegan."

   "Bye."

   "I have three boards out and one boat, so hopefully they all come back on time-" I begin, glancing down at the iPad in front of me.

   "Teegan?"

   I look up quickly and our eyes meet, a flash of something in his that I don't recognize. He's clenching his jaw and his lips are parted, just a bit.

   "Yeah?" I ask back.

   "I have to go pick up some stuff. I'm going to get marshmallows... do you like s'mores?" he asks, his expression a bit more normal again.

   "Yeah, of course. Who doesn't?" I answer quickly.

   "Okay. I will be back here at 7P.M. Yeah?"

   I smile, because to me, 7P.M. can't come soon enough. "Yeah."

*

   My heart is pounding because apparently I'm a nervous eighteen year old who's never hung out with a guy before. Of course I have, but all of this with Cohen feels different and new and exciting.

   It's quarter after seven when I lock up the hut and - even though he's not there yet - I got and sit on the bench just a bit closer to the pier. Pulling out my phone to pass some time, I see I have a text from my mom.

   How was closing up tonight? Hopefully things went smooth. I should be home by 9P.M. but if you don't mind putting the kids to bed, that would be great. Thanks, Teeg.

   Oh shit. Oh no. I forgot that I was supposed to pick up the kids from Kelly Turner's after I close down the hut. Like, now. My mom's expecting me to get them and bring them home and get them to bed. But I agreed to hanging out with Cohen. Shit.

   Hey. I'm such an idiot. I forgot I have to pick up my siblings and take them home until my mom gets home. Where are you? I open a new text conversation with Cohen.

   I'm just down the beach a bit, almost there. Shit, okay. It took me longer than I thought at the store.

   I put my phone down in my lap and close my eyes for a second. He's going to think that I am ditching him on purpose. Finally, once I regain my composure, I stand up and start walking.

   I see him, coming towards me, a few minutes later. I'm not sure what I'm going to say to him, but I hope he understands. He has a big smile on his face as he approaches, a bag in his hand.

   "I feel really dumb," I say right away.

   Cohen shakes his head. "No. It's fine. What time is your mom getting home?"

   I swallow hard. "She texted and said she should be home by 9P.M."

   "Oh. Well, that's later than I was thinking, but... you know where I live. You want to come over when she gets home?" he suggests.

   We are just standing there, pretty much behind the rental hut, talking. I sigh and look at my feet, toes in the sand. I know I ruined whatever he was planning for us tonight.

   "Yeah. Are you sure?" I ask him, turning to start walking back.

   "Yeah. I can walk you home, too. I mean, if you want," he says, not missing a beat.

   "I'm going to Luke's, actually," I say, and then shrug. "His mom is watching the kids."

   "Oh. Alright, well, I have to go that way anyway." Awkward.

   "Yeah," I finish.

   We say goodbye and I tell him I'll text him when I'm leaving, in a couple of hours, and then I slip past him to cross the street and walk down to Kelly Turner's. This is a small town. Kelly is my mom's friend, and she watches the kids sometimes. Her son is Luke. Her husband was down at the rental hut today. And if any of them know I'm hanging out with Cohen, they will all know, along with everyone else in Avila Beach.

   I don't know if I really care. My mom found how that her newest employee got into a fight over the weekend, just like that. It's inevitable that things will be said and people will talk. It's the only thing I don't like about this place, now. But hanging out with Cohen isn't the worst thing I could be doing, right? I'm not breaking into stores or doing drugs. I'm just... being a teenager.

   I thank Kelly and grab the kids' hands and we cross over again to go back to their house. Inside, I find out they had pizza for dinner and they aren't hungry, so I give them baths and read them books - again - before tucking them into their beds around 8:30P.M.

   The next thirty minutes pass so slowly. I'm watching the clock in the living room, Tick, tick, tick. Why does time go so slowly when you're waiting for something? It's getting dark outside. It's after 9P.M. when I hear a car outside and then the door opens and closes again. Jumping up, I meet my mom in the front foyer.

   "Hey. Everything good?" she asks right away, putting down her purse. "You didn't answer my text."

   "Sorry. Yes, all good. Kids are asleep," I say quickly. "I'm actually... just going out."

   "Out?" she repeats, like she's more curious than anything.

   "Just a campfire, is that cool?" I ask, even though I don't really have to ask.

   "Of course. Be safe. Get the bug spray," she says and then eyes me again. "Whose house?"

   "A friend," I say, knowing she wants more than that. "See you tomorrow."

   "Alright," she finishes, and I notice she's smiling as I slip past her and out the door.

   Be there in five, I send to Cohen, then put my phone away and reach up to pull out my pony tail.

   Running my fingers through my hair, I get weird fluttery feelings in my stomach. It's just a guy. Just a friend. Rex will probably be there. It's not a big deal. At. All.

   But then my phone buzzes again and I pull it out, flipping it over to read the message.

   Cohen: In the backyard. Come on back when you get here.

   And my heart is pounding again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.4K 3.6K 57
Tessa's love life is full of clichés. She fell for the boy next door, her brother's best friend, and her childhood crush. They all just happen to be...
Isla By liv

Teen Fiction

1.3M 56.9K 40
[Wattpad Featured] [Watty's Shortlist 2021 & 2022] "Sorry if I'm not in love with you, Everett," I shot back. "You're the one who made a bad first i...
376K 8.8K 41
What do you do when your boyfriend of two years cheats on you and gets caught at junior prom, in front of the whole school? You grieve, you suffer, a...
854 40 23
"I've never felt this way for anyone before Linny. You have always been my special woman, please forgive me. I love you and always will, please wait...