Walking In Your Fleeting Worl...

By yuseiboushi619

Dazai x Isekaid OC "For Dazai-san, I can light the world up in flames, and you think I can't kill myself a se... More

A/N & Character profile
Chapter-0: As I walk in this fleeting world
Chapter-1: A city that has thrown away yesterday, changes its face
Chapter-2: Breathing in this unchanging feeling
Chapter-3: I reach out repeatedly
Chapter-4: Chasing the wish that slips through
Chapter-5: As I roam this never-ending today
Chapter-6: Waiting impatiently for the dawn that exists somewhere
Chapter-8: I'll say to this worthless night, goodbye
Chapter-9: But even though I think so...
Chapter-10: I'm still here
Chapter-11: I wish for a magnificent and bright end
Chapter-12: But the curtain hasn't dropped yet
Chapter-13: Soon would be good, won't it?
Chapter-14: This repeating melancholy inside my head
Chapter-15: I'm so sick of it, you know?
Chapter-16: It's just inevitable
Chapter-17: That I wish for the end
Chapter-18: The tainted past too,
Chapter-19: Begone!
Chapter-20: I want to tell everyone
Chapter-21: It is I
Chapter-22: I who have failed.
Chapter-23: Isn't there anyone
Chapter-24: To take my hand
Chapter-25: And cease existing together?
Chapter-26: Days darkening in the setting sun
Chapter-27: Are endless
Chapter-28: In a world like that,
Chapter-29: I found you.
Chapter-30: Suddenly, that hand pulls
Chapter-31: And stops the cuff of my reckless heart
Chapter-32: Just a little more like this,
Chapter-33: I want to try living
Chapter-34: It's not like me to think so
Chapter-35: As I roam this neverending today
Chapter-36: I was waiting impatiently
Chapter-37: For the dawn that exists somewhere
Chapter-38: Even though I haven't yet grasped
Chapter-39: A meaning to keep on living
Chapter-40: To the eternity
Chapter-41: For now,
Chapter-42: I'll say goodbye
Chapter-43: Maybe

Chapter-7: If I can't even grasp the meaning of life

3.7K 160 36
By yuseiboushi619

Meeting Dazai arc 3/5

-Riki's POV-

"Welcome home, Nii-san! You took quite a while!" I greet Odasaku with a smile.

"I had to go outside Yokohama to find what Dazai wanted for breakfast. All the shop owners looked at me like I'm an idiot whenever I asked them for it..." Odasaku replies in a tired voice. "Sorry Dazai, it appears they don't sell pufferfish liver." 

I shoot an annoyed glance at Dazai, but he looks away pretending to not notice. 

This dude! Stop pestering Odasaku to bring and cook you poisonous food! Thank God they aren't available easily, otherwise who knows what would happen? 

"Eh, that happened?" I reply with a superficial surprise, "Since Dazai-san just woke up, he hasn't eaten breakfast yet, what about you Nii-san? Have you eaten?"

"Not yet."

I clap once, "Perfect." 

Omg, this is my chance! I can cook breakfast for Dazai~! I've been living for this! 

I've become better at cooking because of Odasaku's influence. It wouldn't be too bad if I could impress Dazai just a little~ "Can I cook you guys brea..."

"No." Odasaku rejects me before I could say the full sentence, "You sit here, entertain this bored-for-life person. I'll cook."

Dazai only smiles and nods at his mention. Oh! These two have been growing closer. For a moment I was worried that my influence may have caused them to not grow close, but that isn't the case at all. Just like the Lites said, the major plots will find a way to happen, regardless of my influence.

"Come on! You think I can entertain him?" I frown. "Dazai-san, choose! My cooking vs Nii-san's."

"He can't choose. I chose it for you. I'm cooking, you sit here." Odasaku brushes past me. "You should rest anyway. You work way too hard, now that today you don't have any work, just sit back and relax."

I lean over to Dazai, hand over my mouth whispering, "Isn't he awesome?"

Dazai nods. "Very."

I sit down in the chair next to Dazai again. Everything in the house is still the same as a year ago. Odasaku isn't the type of person who liked making changes. The flower is still there, on the bedside table. From the way it looks, the water was changed quite a few times. 

Odasaku took care of it even when it's going to wither regardless? A smile appears on my face.

"It's drying up, isn't it?" Dazai says, seeing me looking at the flower.

"I guess. I should've just bought the plant a whole, then it would be a bit more lifetime." I sigh. "But it's way out of my league."

"Why do you take care of the kids?" Dazai suddenly questions. His left eye tells me he's serious. "You are capable to live a way better life by yourself. Yet you let them drag you down."

"Hmm, I wonder why. I guess I'm stuck with them? They gave me a place to stay and offered protection when I had nothing. Why should I betray them just because I can take care of myself now?"

"To live a better life of course! You can let go of a lot and finally enjoy your life if you start living alone."

He's right, I can't deny. If I was living by myself, I'd join the ADA. Every day would've been filled with lots of adventure and life would've been really easy. ADA offers a roof over your head, and the pay is enough for one person to get by happily. Being around good people like Ranpo-san, Fukuzawa-san, and Yosano-sensei would've been awesome. Every day would've been cheerful. Yet, Ryu, Gin, Hibiki, and the rest... I can never leave them. My life had been empty ever since I lost my parents and only sibling. I've lived like a corpse, obsessing over inanimate objects and fictional characters for inspiration to live each passing day. Losing friends and ending up all alone is scary, and I'd never want to do that. 

I was hanging off my last thread when my friend came visiting my house, telling me, Hey, xxxxxx I've done something you wouldn't like. That conversation, that betrayal, it ruined me... I forgot what I was and who I was for a moment. I forgot what Dazai taught me, I forgot every single thing in a second. I picked up the knife to end myself.

I, who'd have never done something like that, tried to end it in a split second. From then on I realized something. Life is nothing, everything can be finished in one second. A second is all it takes, then money, happiness, status, how many friends you have at your funeral crying for you, nothing would mean anything. The time that you spend while living and the memories, that's all that will matter in the end before you close your eyes forever.

"Better life, free life, such never mattered to me." I relax my left elbow on the wooden chair's handle, putting my left cheek in my palm, "As long as I'm around the people I care for, as long as we keep on making memories, I'd go through this manmade hell countless times." I say that with direct eye contact, and smiling. 

He doesn't make a sound, and his face doesn't give away what he's thinking. But I can't help but wonder. What could he be thinking right now? He has no such people he wants to protect yet. Not even Odasaku. Do my words sounds stupid and meaningless to him? 

"I guess asking you such a question was foolish." He replies finally. "What if I take away those people from you, would you finally stop trusting me? Will you still think I'm harmless?"

Okay, asking me that is seriously messed up! If I trace back my reasoning, the reason I am motivated to care for Ryu is definitely that he was going to be Dazai's subordinate. Now I've grown fond of the kids. My only reason to keep living in this cruel world is probably that I want to see Dazai smile... or just witness his life. If he do something "bad" to me, would I be able to hate him? 

GAHHH it's so hard to consider. I wanna pull my hair out!

"Dazai-san is 100% capable of it," I make a sour face. I swear 15-year-old Dazai that has no such people to care for is the hardest to deal with. "But Dazai-San won't do that."

"How do you know that?" He narrows his eyes.

"I just do," I reply. He doesn't respond but I know he doesn't like this reply at all. Maybe I should stop teasing him, and give him a better, logical answer...

"Fine... Dazai-San has nothing to gain from it. Doing that Dazai-San and my relationship have a high chance of getting destroyed, and I'm too important to just let loose yet. I'm too interesting and useful, why would someone as smart as Dazai-San ruin such a great opportunity?"

"So you think I need you?" Dazai laughs. 

Scary and merciless smile, insulting to the core. It's not flattering, it's absolutely devastating being the victim of such a smile. He seems like a stranger right now. 

What was I expecting? My heart feels like it would burst out this second. Being mocked by Dazai, I expected to feel this, yet it's too much to handle already. I'm getting overwhelmed, to the point Karma will get activated at any time. It won't have any effect because I wouldn't be able to peek inside Dazai's feelings, but the black mist will let Dazai know about karma right away. I'm not going to let him know about this so early. 

I stand up, poking his head twice, "How am I supposed to know if you need me or not? I'm answering a hypothetical question!! I just know Dazai san is capable of not doing evil, that's all."

His evil smile fades from his face, confused by my actions he blinks a few times. "I'm capable of not doing evil?"

"Yes." I nod. Yes, bitch! Believe it or not, you're gonna save Yokohama a couple of times. For no reason, just because it's the good thing to do.

"Is that why you're not scared of me?"

I'm not scared of you, because I love you! Seriously, the only terrible thing you can do to me that will hurt me the most is killing yourself. As long as you're breathing, I can smile through everything!

"Does it bother you that I'm not scared of you?" I tilt my head, trying to copy his evil smile a bit ago.

"Very much." He looks away, "Everyone is scared of me, but no one inside this house fears me. I'm feeling like I'm losing my scary charm."

Odasaku returns with a tray in his hand. Breakfast is ready. Miso soup and steamed rice, a normal breakfast.

"It's nice to have people around that do not fear you, they will keep you down to earth," Odasaku replies sitting down beside Dazai. 

"Are you trying to feed me? Untie my hands, I can eat by myself!!"

"No, you might throw a tantrum the moment I untie you." Odasaku shakes his head, "Now open your mouth."

Dazai looks at me, "Help me. Tell him that I won't throw a tantrum!"

Oh look the high and mighty Dazai-Sama is now in danger. Heh.

"Why would I?" I reply. this is the time to pay him back for crushing my heart with a malicious smile. "Nii-san, he's definitely gonna throw a tantrum if you let him go! To make things worse, he'd definitely try to run away!"

Dazai's lazy expression disappears from his face, it's almost like a kid getting roasted, he replies in a worked-up tone, "You know I'm not capable of leaving the bed, let alone running away!"

"Riki hold him tight." Odasaku orders me, "I'll have to force this on him."

"No no no!! Time out! time out!" Dazai yells. "Let me breathe first!"

"You've been breathing enough Dazai-san, you should eat up." I smile at him showing as many as teeth possible.

"Remember when I said you're pure without any malicious intent? I take that back." Dazai sighs. Then he looks at Odasaku,  "Hey, at least let her feed me." 

ME? ME? Did he just say me? Woahhh?? 

"Sure." Odasaku agrees right away, offering me the tray, "Feed him."

"Aaa, You said I should rest... but now you're slave-driving me? You monster."  I complain, totally shocked. 

Like this is ultra super duper romantic! This happens in romance anime!!! This is amazing. Odasaku you're an angel!

After I was done complaining, I take the tray. Picking up some of the boiled vegetables along with the steamed rice using the chopstick I say, "Open wide."

"It's hot," Dazai replies, immediately looking away.

"Want me to blow on it?" I narrow my eyes. This dude wants to annoy me to the core, doesn't he? 

He nods, still looking away, making sure I can't reach his mouth even if I tried. I blow on the portion I picked up on the chopstick, I take it in front of his mouth, but he doesn't open it.

"Well, if you don't want to eat through your mouth, the nose is always an option," I say annoyedly. 

"There's too much rice on the chopstick! I'm not some kind of monster who can eat that much!" Dazai whines.

I look at Odasaku, "So this is why you agreed to me feeding him without even one complaint?"

Odasaku slurps on his miso bowl, looking away, "Sorry."

I sigh. Today's gonna be a long day.

-Neutral POV-

Outside Oda's house, Chuuya was sweating uncontrollably, looking for Dazai on a beautiful Autumn day. He should've been inside his house, enjoying a nice meal, instead, he has to roam the streets to look for a certain bandaged asshole. At first, Mori asked the mafia to keep quiet about the search, but as days keep passing, everyone in the mafia was growing impatient. They have to find Dazai. 

"Goddamit. Where the fuck did he disappear to? Does the boss even realize how incredibly big this stupid city is?" Chuuya whispers under his breath.

"If we can't find him soon, the five-executive meeting will be held. This is very serious! So find him as fast as you can." Chuuya yells at the searching squad members. 

"I swear Dazai if I find you alive I will murder you. You better be dead." He thinks to himself. 

If Dazai is alive and is getting tortured somewhere, and somehow slips out any of the secrets, Port Mafia will be done for. The mafia couldn't have that. Chuuya hated how important Dazai is to the mafia. Chuuya's disappearance wouldn't make much difference compared to Dazai's. Chuuya wanted power, he wanted to become an executive, as soon as possible. Perhaps before Dazai.

Mori wasn't too worried about Dazai's sudden disappearance, rather, he felt peace inside his heart. An unknown peace that he couldn't quite describe, his nerves calmed down. It's probably because he was noticing Dazai's talent. 

At first, he only saw him as a suicidal brat, he'd use him once and then get rid of. Soon Dazai's smartness made him realize that he could sharpen him, and use him for greater purposes. As long as Dazai served by his side, he'd have nothing to worry about. But within months, Dazai showed so much promise that Mori only grew restless. Realizing this boy was even more dangerous than he is. Soon, he'll enough skills to overthrow him and become the king of the Mafia. Despite such dread, Mori can't let go of Dazai. Mafia is where Dazai shines the most, the port mafia wouldn't be able to prosper without Dazai putting in his work in it, for at least 4 more years.

-Odasaku's POV-

"Now what do you want? Want me to wipe your mouth for you?" Riki asks after she is successfully done feeding Dazai. She looks particularly happy about this. Should I ask her to take care of Dazai more?

Riki and Dazai get along quite well. Now that I closely witness it, it's probably because Riki is very interested in him. I may be not smart, but I can tell that she cares for this guy. I don't know why. In normal cases, most girls would be scared to even come close to Dazai the moment they learn what kind of person he is. Yet she acts like she knows this guy her entire life. It's wonderfully strange in some sort of way, I cannot describe. Even though I spent almost a year spending every day together, working side by side, I feel like I can never get close to her the way Dazai is to her. But this makes me a bit rest assured, I don't feel like putting up a wall against Dazai, he may be strange, but I think he's a good guy deep inside.

"Well, my hands are tied, so you better," Dazai replies annoyedly. "You spilled miso on my clothes, I hope you also give me a shower."

"Ara, won't that be too perverted?" Riki puts her hand over her mouth, pretending to be shocked. 

"Maybe if you didn't willingly spill the soup, you'd have the right to complain." Dazai is bitter.

What's with this conversation? It's weird, and I can't describe it. They don't notice my blank stare. Riki takes a tissue and gently wipes his mouth. "I'll bring water and a towel to clean your body. Be a good kid and don't move around much." She disappears inside the kitchen with the food tray.

"I'm older than you," Dazai mumbles. But Riki doesn't hear it.

She hangs around for another hour. I can tell she doesn't wanna leave. It's almost as if she's stuck around Dazai. But Riki has to leave sooner or later, she needs to go earn. 

"So, did you quit your job today?" Dazai asks when Riki leaves. I close the door behind her. She only comes once a day, so there won't be any more need to keep the door open. Dazai is dangerous, and police could appear at any moment.

"I did, it was violent. I haven't been paid in 4 months, so I thought it was about time."

"Violent? A job of postman?" Dazai asks confusedly. 

I don't answer.

"Don't wanna reply?" Dazai says as if he has given up on finding out, "Fine then. When my wounds are healed, I'm gonna leave. That's all there is to our relationship anyway." Dazai pauses, "But I'd miss your sister. She's... interesting." A small smile appears and disappears from his lips.

I think for a while, "You're right. We won't meet anymore once you are healed completely. I would have no idea about your life and how you end up." I pause to construct what I'm about to say next. "But can I make a guess?"

"What?"

"About why you want to die."

"You know the reason?"

"You want to die, because you are a fool."

Dazai stares at me with startled eyes. And an awkward silence falls in my house. I untie his hands. I think he won't try to run away anymore.

"You talk big for a mere postman," Dazai speaks finally, looking at me with a dark and icy cold glance. I feel like I'll be sucked inside that gaze and never be able to return. "Many people have said the same thing, I can't tell why though, because they are all dead."

He's trying to scare me. And I know, he isn't talking empty. Dazai's words aren't to be taken lightly. Dazai holds back this side of his personality in front of Riki for some reason.

"Is that so? Well, I have a place that you definitely need to go to before your death. If you don't, you're a fool." 

"Eh? What kind of place is that?" Dazai narrows his eyes, but I can tell he's interested.

"A quiet and nice place. Not far from here, you can enter without any sort of qualification."

"Is that some sort of riddle? Are you making fun of me by lying to me?" Dazai is a little confused. I hold my laughter inside. I'm definitely lying. If I can put up a straight face, I will succeed in tricking him. This little friend of mine is so hung up on dying, that I can't help but tease him a bit.

"There's no point in using strategy when it's you."

"It's true." He looks away, "But I can't read you at all. I don't have a problem reading your sister, I can tell she holds many secrets that I have no idea about, but you're strange. Way stranger than her."

With this Dazai's mood changes, and the house's mood returns to normal. We chit-chat a bit about Dazai's view on life. He's trying to lure me into a debate, a debate that knows no end. I know he has this same talk with himself every day, he will come out with counter-argument to back his suicidal ideas no matter what argument I chose against him. I give up after a while. Dazai's dark reason has no bottom. I went up and heat up water for coffee in the kitchen.

There's a knock on the door, surely, Riki didn't come back... so who is it? I quickly realize who was at the door. It's the police.

(A/n: I'm not going to write anything directly from the original story, so please I suggest you read the day I picked up Dazai, part a.
Here's a summary, the "police" was Oda's past enemy, because of Dazai's strange characteristics Odasaku and Dazai both were captured. Oda and Dazai get tortured, then Oda inspires Dazai to escape with him. Dazai didn't agree, but Oda said he'll take him to "That place" (bar lupin) so Dazai helps him out.)

-Riki's POV-

Today I was in luck. I whistle. I'm very happy. I got such an experience with Dazai? I mean, did I ever imagine this could happen? The first time I read the short story, I was amazed by the Dazai Odasaku combo. I cried for days. Mixed feelings, pain, happiness. So many things. Part A was filled with happiness and so many happy feelings. I could only shed tears. I was so happy for Dazai. But... but I'm actually present. I was actually in front of Dazai. Witnessing him. I kiss my fingertips. They are the same ones I used to wipe Dazai's soft lips.

"Aaah" A short scream comes out of my mouth. I don't care if I turn on karma and die from overwhelming effects. I am fulfilled. I could lay my life off.

-

"You're home early." Ichika greets me, she is the only one at home right now. Ryu is nowhere to be seen, which isn't rare, he spends quite some time out even though his job is to hold down the fort.

"Yeah... I quit my day job again... Mafiosos everywhere..."

"Why'd they be everywhere?"

"Their prince is nowhere to be found, they are looking for him," I reply with a delicate voice. Dazai is practically royalty in the mafia. 

"They have a prince?" Ichika purses her lips, trying to figure out what I said.

"Dazai Osamu." 

"AHH!! That demon guy who's responsible for so much fear? He's missing?" 

"Come- on... He's not a demon... he's a nice guy that just chooses not to be nice..."

"You don't make any sense... But, how do you know he's missing?"

"Ah, because me and my mentor is kinda tying him up at my mentor's house?"

"WHAT?" Ichika screams. I can understand her, I'd lose my shit too if I heard a friend of mine was keeping contact with the port mafia's demonic strategist, the one who holds almost enough power to already be considered an executive. 

"Yeah... tone your voice down though, the mafia could be around," I whisper.

"So... the guy that you have a crush on is actually..."

"... Yes...?" 

"Oh my God! Girl you ruined yourself!" She falls to her knees in shock. "He's way out of your league! A walking red flag. You're never gonna be happy ever again."

"Calm down, he's not as bad as you think."

"Really? That murderous guy? The one that doesn't blink once while killing? Have you seen his subordinates at work?"

"Doesn't matter to me," I whisper. The only reason I'm in this world is because of my bond with Dazai.

"....Is he hot?" Ichika asks after a very long time. Everyone heard Dazai's name, but no one has seen his face.

"Insanely! When he laughs I feel like crying. So graceful!!" I sit down beside Ichika, closing my eyes I remember how nice it feels when he's around. He's my sun.

"Girl you're whipped."

I laugh out loud. "I know right?" 

"The others don't need to know about this. Keep quiet."

I nod. It will only raise fear inside their minds. They don't need to know.

"But, if your guy is in the mafia, shouldn't you join it?"

I smile awkwardly as I remember the words I exchanged with Dazai today.

「"Why don't you join the mafia?"

"Oya? Didn't Nii-san-"

Dazai interrupts me, "I heard his answer, I know he won't allow you to pick up a gun. I just wanna hear your thoughts."

"I don't have anything against the mafia, if my siblings wanted to join the mafia I'd cheer for them." I looked down at the floor avoiding Dazai's gaze. I want to join the mafia, but now I decided I won't. I won't obey Mori. I'll die before bowing down to him. "But I don't want to join."

"What if we force you?"

"You won't."

"Again with that..." Dazai sighed. "But you're right. I won't force someone without a strong reason. You have a brother named Ryunosuke, right? The one that can produce blades with his body? I will come to take him, once the time is right. I hope you don't get in the way when I do."

"I won't. I have a feeling my little brother's place is actually in the mafia." I smiled at him. 」

"I won't join," I say to Ichika. "I will stay pure, and represent purity in this world. Free from violence~" 

"Says the girl who's in love with the devil."

"Tch." I roll my eyes. I don't like Dazai getting called that.

"What made you love him? Care to share?"

And so we talk away the entire day, without knowing that Dazai and Odasaku had been kidnapped, and are currently being tortured.

-

"So? You like him because he doesn't swear...?" Ichika is confused. "I've listened to your dumb blabbering all day, just to hear this one little boring detail?"

"My man don't fucking swear!" I shake my fists over my head, "Deal with it!" 

"Why is it such a big deal?"

"It's just awesome! My man's a gentleman!!! How many boys do you know that get angry and don't swear?" I look at Ichika with eyes filled with pride. "That's right, none! My man can make a person angry off their pants without even saying damn."

"You're super weird..." Ichika whispers, a bit creeped out. "So, that's it?"

"He won't yell at you when angry. He is most likely to hide you from the police if you commit murder. He is most likely to understand what you're feeling without you telling him. You can break almost all the laws and get away if you are-" 

Ichika wants to say something but doesn't. I can tell she's angry. She was probably hoping to hear something like, "Oh he's handsome and rich, and very hot, sexy" type reasoning. But something as small as this? Anybody would feel angry.

"I give up..."

"These are green flags-"

"I don't care. You're an idiot. When he breaks your heart, don't come crying to me." She rolls her eyes.

I only smile in response.

Everybody cries when their father dies.

It's an obvious line he told Atsushi, everyone knows of that. yet, it seemed to convey a different feeling altogether. I lost all my friends after my parents' death. They told me to cheer up and stayed with me, but gradually, they felt I was a burden and left.

I hated myself for my incompetence to move on from my loved one's death, I isolated myself, and I hated and hated every ounce of my feelings. Yet all that disappeared in that single line, and tears rolled down my face, I was crying just as Atsushi did. My situation wasn't the same, but I felt understood. It was as if someone told me it was okay for me to cry, okay for me to grieve.

He wasn't real? Sure, but his words were more real than the people that claimed to be real in front of me. It didn't matter any longer, as long as I could hold his ideation, I felt like I could walk out of my misery. Hey, at least he wouldn't abandon me.

Don't pity yourself.
You want a reason to live? I will give you one.

There are countless reasons Dazai is admirable, if you look for it, you will surely notice. I loved him, I still do, and I think I will keep loving him even if his dark era is too much to bear for me.

At dawn, the kids return one by one, and the empty and quiet house fills up with laughter within minutes. 

~

-Neutral POV-

"You really didn't kill a single person!" Dazai is mesmerized by the sight of Oda's skill firsthand. 

Oda deeply sighs, picking up a cigarette packet from one of the unconscious bodies. He puts a cigarette between his lips, only to notice Dazai standing by his side.

"Oh sorry, I forgot you're underage." He says, putting away the cigarette.

"Don't worry about that." Dazai laughs waving his hand. 

Getting his permission Oda puts it back on his lips, "I'm trying to stop smoking, but today is one of those days I can't get by without it."

"Trying to stop... Is it because of Riki-chan?" Dazai softly askes.

Oda nods. He looks at Dazai after he's done smoking, "Let's go to that place."

"The you're-a-fool-if-you-don't-go-there-before-your-death place?"

"Yes, that one. A nice and quiet place. But... you might feel disappointed."

"It's okay." Dazai looks at Oda, "I feel like even if it doesn't hold many impressions, I won't be disappointed." 

The two end up visiting a bar named Lupin. There, they end up talking the night away. Words flow, A moment Dazai is speaking, and the next one Oda is carrying the conversation. Dazai tells oda about his missions, when he met his partner at job at the age of 15, the Arahabaki incident, and many more. Oda tells him about his job as an assassin, the things he never even told Riki. That time when he fleed from an armed religious group, his dangerous postman job together with Riki, and many things. They talk until the sun rises. Dazai and Oda end up playing 16 again.

"Is Riki-chan that important to you?" Dazai asks in between the game.

"Important... that's the word. She is very cheerful and bright, right? She's like the sun in my plain, boring, dark world."

"I get it." He nods, "A sort of pure feeling, isn't it? Makes you forget your darkness... as if she had already accepted all the horrible things you did and forgave you for it."

"That!" Oda exclaims at how correctly Dazai put it in words.

"And I win." Dazai chuckles. "Told you, I will beat you."

To Oda's surprise, he notices Dazai actually won the game. This was the first time in his life he lost in such a game. "How did you...?"

"Your ability sees through 6 seconds, so if I wait for 6 seconds and then deliver my move at the exact 7th second you can't possibly predict it. Besides, I was already distracting you with a conversation." Dazai smiles proudly. "I have decided what to call you. Sakunosuke-kun is way too long, and Oda is too short to be a name for someone as strange as you. So, from now on, you're Odasaku. If anybody asks what's your name, you'll have to introduce yourself with that."

"Odasaku... sounds like a farmer's name. Do I have the right to change it?" 

"No. And also,  since you have so many past enemies, you should come to visit a place. A place that will give you protection from your past, where nobody would dare to even touch your hair. A place you're a fool if you don't join."

"What kind of place?"

"Port Mafia, join the mafia." Dazai smiles. "Or else you'd stay a fool."

Oda makes direct eye contact with Dazai, "Okay, but promise me, you won't pursue Riki to join."

"That's a promise. I won't go back on my words even in a million years."

~

-Next day-

"Who are you?"

"Hi, You must be Hayashi Hibiki." 

"How do you know my name?"

"Let's save that for a later time, Is your sister... Riki-chan home?"

Hibiki feels a chill running down his spine. The person standing before him is about 3 years older than him. A thin, tall, brown-haired boy, neck, hands, and right eye are covered with bandages. Hibiki can tell he's bad news just by looking at him. He feels cautious, as he worries that this person may bring disaster to his sister.

"She is..."

"Wonderful. May I request her presence?" The boy's smile gets even wider. "Tell her, Dazai Osamu wants to talk."

~

"This is the report on Akutagawa Riki." Ango turns in a file to his boss.

"You're finished with it? I thought you were facing trouble."

Ango smiles insipidly, "I've been on the job for more than a year and a half, It would be shameful if I didn't finish it yet."

Taneda stays silent for a while, "Discard this file, and never talk about it ever again." 

"What? But! I worked so hard just to... Do you realize how hard it is been? She kept disappearing, mafiosos kept pursuing us, and life was hell! I worked hard to get this information."

"Agent Ango!" Taneda's sudden rise in tone silences Ango. "I know it's been hard. But you have to follow the order. I received it a bit ago, I was going to contact you to stop this investigation some days ago. But I was busy."

"Sir, are you sure I should discard it? My findings are way beyond imagination. This report will shake up the entire world."

"That's precisely why we aren't going to turn it in. This is likely to start a war, other countries will fight for someone like her. Japan cannot have this." Taneda sighs. He understood why Natsume sensei ordered this. Riki's existence and the strange phenomenon of her having 3 abilities are too great a find for the world to find out at all

"I understand. I'll discard this file immediately." Ango nods.

"Also," Taneda says as Ango is about to leave. "Keep an eye on Riki, make sure nothing unpredictable approaches her."

"Yes sir."

------

Characters present:

Dazai Osamu

Oda Sakunosuke

(OC) Akutagawa Riki

Ichika, Hayashi Hibiki (Names and personalities are made up)

Chuuya Nakahara

Ango Sakaguchi, Taneda Santoka. 

Mentioned: Natsume Soseki, Mori Ougai, Akutagawa Ryunosuke 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 107 13
*inspired by the mitski album of the same name and will be angsty af* actions always have their consequences. BSD and any of the characters from it...
97.3K 4.2K 36
"Tch, this is what they mean by sorry? Hah... Now... Where is Chuuya? Is he even here?" Dazai mutters before looking at the small Chuuya looking boy...
5.2K 312 12
Before the intro, I would like to shout out a friend. They requested the idea be made into a fic so here it is. Sunshine and rainbows, they say. When...
39.2K 1.5K 39
After his failed attempt at suicide that had ultimately ended in his right hand man's, Chuuya Nakahara death. Now Port Mafia boss Osamu Dazai really...