Because You Love Me

By thegirlwhowrites11

Alaina Evans was considered dangerous and locked away...until the Death Eaters came for her. She was saved b... More

1. There's Something Wrong
2. Welcome Home
3. Meeting Harry
4. The Last Stand
5. Dead and Gone
6. A Night at Spinner's End
7. The Boy Who Lived
8. Arrangements
9. Number 4 Privet Drive
10. The Funeral
11. Sirius Justice
12. Finally Eleven
13. An Old Friend
14. Muggle Studies
15. Welcome to Hogwarts
16. The Hogwarts Express
18. First Classes
19. A Lesson in Flying
20. Potions
21. Late Night Talks
22. Suspicious Minds
23. Midnight Adventure
24. Halloween Blues
25. Troll in the Dungeon
26. Jinxing the Broom
27. See Me After Class
28. The Mirror of Erised
29. Christmas
30. Their Deepest and Most Desperate Desires
31. The Sorcerer's Stone
32. Detention With Hagrid
33. Something Wicked
34. Fluffy's Secret
35. The Trap Door
36. Two-Faced Villian
37. Hospitalized
38. Points for Gryffindor
39. Going Home
40. Blissful Summer
41. Dobby
42. Meeting Malfoy
43. Another Year Begins
44. The Elf's Warning
45. Second Year Classes
46. Mudblood
47. Enemies of the Heir
48. What Lies Within
49. Rogue
50. Dobby Returns
51. Moaning Myrtle
52. Parselmouth
53. Petrified
54. Christmas Revelations
55. The Diary
56. Wrong Place, Wrong Time
57. Into the Chamber
58. Tom Marvolo Riddle
59. Reborn
60. Voldemort Has Returned
61. Dead or Alive
62. A Marked Man
63. Free
64. Escape
65. Big Black Dog
66. There's Something Out There
67. Out in the Open
68. Everything's Changed
69. Outcast
70. Lupin's Request
71. Buckbeak and Malfoy
72. Sighted
73. Severus and the Boggart
74. A Shocking Revelation
75. Trouble in Hogsmeade
76. The Doctor and Sirius Black
77. The Fat Lady
78. Freefall
79. The Marauder's Map
80. The Firebolt
81. Return of the Black Dog
82. Seeing the Impossible
83. A Rat Among Them
84. The Whomping Willow
85. The Truth About Scabbers
86. Attack of the Wolf
87. The Stag
88. Cleared
89. Preparations
90. Nightmares
91. Haunted
92. A Wedding at Hogwarts
93. The Message
94. Seven
95. Burning at Both Ends
96. The Exchange
97. The Death of Harry
98. Shattered
99. Reunited
100. New Beginnings

17. Sorted

14.5K 454 218
By thegirlwhowrites11

His lips were sweet on hers, like butterfly wings gracing her skin.  She wanted him more than anything in the world.  He ran his fingers tenderly through her hair and caressed her face.  His touch was almost more than she could handle.

She wrapped her arms around him tighter, not wanting to let him go.  Tears rolled down her cheeks as she deepened the kiss, pulling him even closer.  She didn't want to say goodbye.  When she finally pulled back from him, he was crying, too.

"I have something to tell you, Alaina," Severus said.

"What is it?  You can tell me anything."

He seemed nervous, fidgeting with his cuticles.  "I went back to my old ways."

She frowned at him.  "What old ways, Severus?"

"I'm a Death Eater."

Alaina swallowed hard.  "No.  Please tell me it isn't true."

"I'm sorry.  I didn't know what to do while you were gone.  I had to go back."

"You could have come to me and Harry.  You could have stayed with us."

"They would have only killed you.  It's why I've been sent here now."

She looked up at him, her eyes widening.  "Severus, please­-"

He calmly drew his wand.  "You and I can never be together.  The darkness inside of me, it won't let us."

She put her hands up in front of her.  "Please don't.  No."

"I'm sorry, Alaina, but this is the way it has to be."

She closed her eyes tightly as a flash of green lit up the room around her.

Alaina drew in a sharp breath and her eyes flew open wide.

"Alaina, what's wrong?" a concerned voice asked her.  "What happened?"

She glanced all around her.  She was on the train, still in Severus's arms.  A wave of relief washed over her.  He was staring at her, his face etched with concern.

"Nothing," she answered finally.  "Nothing now.  It was just a nightmare."

"You jumped like someone had fired a spell at you."

"It was pretty intense."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She shook her head.  How could she tell him that she dreamed about him killing her?  "No.  It's best if I don't talk about it.  I just want to forget it."

Severus frowned.  She was looking at him strangely, almost fearfully.  It was like she was scared to death he was going to strike her or something.  "Alaina, you know I would never do anything to hurt you, don't you?"

Alaina stared at him.  It was like he had read her mind.  She had tried so hard not to seem afraid when she woke up, but it had scared her terribly.  She had no choice but to be scared.  She was hesitant to answer the question he asked.  If he only knew the nightmare she had just experienced he would already know the answer.  She wasn't really sure.  He hadn't hurt her up to this point, but how much had he changed in ten years?  This was what was really bothering her.  Had Severus changed?  And if so, was it for the better?

The fact she was just staring at him was worrisome.  Did she think he would hurt her?

"Alaina?"

She sighed.  "I'm sorry, Severus.  I just-  That nightmare really shook me.  I was just thinking about it before I went to sleep.  I don't really know you anymore.  Not that I knew you well before, but a lot can happen to a person in ten years."

"You're right.  It can.  What are you afraid of?"

"How are things here?  The Death Eaters, are they still active?"

"Some, but they're mostly in hiding.  Why would you-" his voice trailed off.  He didn't have to ask her why she had asked him that question.  He already knew.  She raised up off of his chest.  "Is that what you're afraid of?  That I've rejoined them?"

"It is what I dreamed about.  Y-You killed me."

Severus's eyes widened in horror.  "Alaina, I would never hurt you.  Never.  I promise you right this minute.  Never."

She smiled, then silently chided herself for ever thinking he would.  She knew better.  This man saved her life and tried to save her sister's.  "I know.  You're right.  I was just being stupidly insecure."

He cast his eyes to the floor.  "No.  You were right to think it as a possibility.  You're a mother now.  You can't just think about yourself anymore.  You have to be careful who you trust.  I get your reason."

Alaina reached up and turned his face toward her.  "This is you we're talking about.  I'm not scared of you, Severus.  We're friends.  My imagination likes to run away with me when I sleep sometimes."

He smiled.  "I know what that's like."

"Are we at Hogwarts yet?"

"Almost."

"I guess I better get myself awake a little more then.  Did you sleep?"

"No.  I was too busy to sleep."

Alaina's forehead creased.  "Doing what?"

He looked her straight in the eye.  "Watching over you."

Her cheeks flushed crimson.  He had to be the sweetest person in the world to her.  This was all such a new experience for her.  Being home-schooled, she had never really had friends besides Lily, James, Sirius, and Lupin.  She never saw Peter that much.  Out of all of them, Lily was the only one who seemed remotely interested in what happened to her.  Severus seemed to care about her even more than her sister had.  She didn't know what to make of him.  She glanced over at him.  He was staring out the window.  She smiled.  He made her feel so loved.

"I suppose we should separate," Severus said suddenly.  "I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong idea."

"No, you're right," Alaina agreed.  "I need to go find Harry."

He laid his hand on her arm.  A jolt of electricity seemed to surge through her at his touch.  She gulped.  He looked up at her.  He had felt it too.

"I don't think you should.  You don't want to give him the impression he can't do anything without you, do you?"

"No, of course not, but-"

"Then you should come up to the castle with me.  You'll see him during the sorting ceremony."

She frowned.  "What's that?"

He stared at her blankly for a moment, then shook his head.  "Never mind.  I keep forgetting you didn't attend Hogwarts.  I'll explain it on the way to the castle."

The train squeaked to a stop.  Severus and Alaina rose.  He lead the way out of the compartment and off the train.  The tall and massive man who had seen Harry in the Owl Emporium was there.  He nodded in her direction.  She smiled at him.  She glanced back at the train. She didn't want to leave Harry, but knew she must.  Severus was right.  She needed to let him experience this as all the other children did: alone.  She followed him up toward the castle, trying not to look back.

~ * ~

The Great Hall was bigger than any room she had ever laid eyes on before.  She was sitting beside of Severus at the staff table.  Next to him was Professor Quirrell, the bloke she had met in the Leaky Cauldron and then someone else she didn't recognize.  Albus Dumbledore was sitting in the middle and Minerva McGonagall was perched in the chair beside of him.  Upon her and Severus's arrival, she was introduced to Professor Sprout and Professor Flitwick.  She met Madame Hooch, too.  Her hawk-like eyes unnerved her a little bit.  Severus was talking to Quirrell about something.  She really wasn't sure what the conversation was about.  Her attention was on the door.

The students were piling in, but she didn't see Harry anywhere.  She was beginning to get worried.

"Severus?"

He turned to her.  "Yes?"

"Where is Harry?"

"Patience, Alaina.  The first years have to be sorted.  They are the last to come in."

Severus had told her a brief history of the four houses available in Hogwarts.  She remembered Lily and all of her friends had been in Gryffindor.  She wondered what house he had been in.

"Oh, okay.  One more question and then I will be quiet."

He chuckled.  "Okay."

"What house were you in when you were here?"

He sighed.  "Slytherin.  I'm actually Head of Slytherin house now."

"Slytherin.  Wow."

"Does it surprise you?"

"No.  I was just...curious.  I wonder what house I would have been in if I would have attended this school."

"Well," he said, "Lily was in Gryffindor.  I suppose you would have been, too."

Alaina frowned.  "I suppose."

"Alaina, are you alright?  You seem a little off."

"I'm just nervous.  This is all new to me, remember?"

"Right," Severus said.  "Of course."

She chuckled.  

Just then the doors to the Great Hall opened.  She noticed for the first time Minerva had left.  A small stool was sitting in front of the staff table now and an old and battered looking hat was sitting on top of it.  She walked into the Great Hall leading a long line of students behind her.  They all looked as nervous as she felt.  She found Harry among them as they gathered in a wad in the front.

"Now, the first years will be sorted into their houses," McGonagall announced as she pulled out a scroll.  She called the first name.

Alaina leaned forward on her hand.  Harry noticed her and waved.  Of course she waved back with a smile.  Severus kept a blank expression, facing straight forward the whole time.  Occasionally Quirrell would say something and he would turn in his direction.  It seemed like forever before Minerva finally called his name.

"Potter, Harry!"

Harry gulped loudly as he made his way up the steps.  Whispers erupted throughout the room, which made him even more nervous.  He got up on the stool and gripped the edges tightly.  The next thing he knew there was a large hat being placed on his head.

"Oh my goodness," Alaina whispered, "I can hardly wait to see what house he's in."

Severus turned to her and smiled.  He grabbed her hand under the table and squeezed it, then let go.

It seemed like ages before the hat spoke, which startled Harry.  "Difficult...very difficult.  You have plenty of courage.  It's not hard to see.  Not a bad mind either.  Plus there is a thirst to prove yourself, but where to put you."

Not Slytherin, not Slytherin, Harry thought.  Ron Weasley, his new friend had told him that there wasn't a witch or wizard who had been in Slytherin who hadn't gone bad.  He didn't want to be one of them.

"Not Slytherin, eh?" the hat questioned.  "You could be great you know.  No?  I guess then it better be...GRYFFINDOR!"

Gryffindor's table erupted in applause as well as Alaina.  A part of her was relieved he wasn't in Slytherin for some reason she didn't really understand.  Gryffindor had been his mother and father's house.  She felt like they would be proud of him for being in the same one.  He turned and smiled at her.  She gave him a thumbs up.  She had never been more proud.

Severus stared at Harry.  Just like his mother and father, he was in Gryffindor.  A part of him had hoped he would be in Slytherin. It would be easier to keep an eye on him.  His eyes locked with Harry's and suddenly he reached up toward his scar.  It seemed like it had hurt him in some way.  He frowned and then turned to Quirrell.  His head was turned toward the back wall.  After they finished their conversation, Severus stood.

"Alaina, will you come with me?  There is something I want to do for you."

She looked up at him curiously.  "Really?"

"Yes."  He extended his hand toward her.  "Just trust me."

She gave him her hand and they disappeared through a door behind the staff table.

"Hey, Harry," Ron said, his mouth full.  "Didn't you say the redhead sitting beside of Snape was your mum?"

"Yeah.  Why?" Harry asked.

"Because she just left with him."

"So?"

"So, he's the nastiest teacher in the school," Ron's brother Percy said.  "He loves the Dark Arts.  There are a lot of people here who are afraid of him."

Harry gulped.  He didn't like the sound of that and the fact  just a look from him had made his scar hurt, made it even worse.  He would have to tell Alaina about it and soon.

~ * ~

"Severus, why are we in here?" Alaina questioned.  

She had just been in Dumbledore's office the day before taking her test.  Severus was being mysterious.  He had barely talked to her on the way up there, and now he crossed the room without saying a word.  He grabbed the Sorting Hat off of the shelf and brought it over to her.  He knew McGonagall had brought it back.  He was wearing a smile on his face.

"I wanted you to see what house you would have been in," Severus answered finally.

Alaina grinned.  "Can you do this?"

"Of course."  He pulled up a chair for her.  "Have a seat."

She humored him and sat down in the chair.  She felt completely ridiculous.  "This is silly."

"Maybe," he said as he slipped the hat on her head, "but I'm a little curious myself."

"Why?"

He silenced her.  "Ssh.  Not while the hat is is on."

Suddenly there was another voice.  It wasn't hers or Severus's.  His lips were pressed firmly together, watching her intently.  It had to be the hat.  "Hmm.  Not a bad mind.  A hidden talent for potions and a certain strong power within.  If I had to sort you in a house young lady, it would be Slytherin."

Shocked, Severus took the hat off.  Alaina bit her lower lip nervously.  James and Sirius had been talking about Slytherin one day.  Voldemort had been in Slytherin she was sure of it.  He was who they were talking about when she'd heard the name.

"Slytherin?" she echoed, her voice barely audible.

Severus put the hat back on the shelf.  "Well, I'm shocked," he commented.  "I figured you would be in Gryffindor."

"No," Alaina said sadly.  "I would never be put in Gryffindor.  Too much darkness inside of me."

He frowned.  "There is no darkness in you, Alaina.  Besides, I was in Slytherin, too, remember?"

And you were a Death Eater, she wanted to say.  She didn't though.  There was no use in hurting his feelings.  He had nothing to do with the reason she felt the way she did.

It was silly, but she felt tears began to form in her eyes.  The Sorting Hat had truly upset her.  She forced herself to hold it in until she was alone.  She didn't want to have to explain to Severus why it saddened her.

He pulled her close and squeezed her briefly.  "At least now you know."

"Yes," she agreed.  "Now I know."  

Now I know I am truly evil, she thought bitterly.  She left the room immediately, leaving Severus stunned and confused.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 2.9K 42
After coming to terms with her past, Ms Sofia Greene chooses to develop a stable career at Hogwarts. For over 4 years, she was known as one of the mo...
47.1K 2.1K 74
Amilia Hubbard returns to Hogwarts! Harry Potter has begun his schooling! So not only does Severus Snape have to deal with the young wizard but he al...
46.8K 1.3K 38
A new professor arrives at Hogwarts and Severus Snape could not be more annoyed that Defense Against the Dark Arts was given to someone new, but what...
68.6K 3.2K 50
(Y/N) Black was a Death Eater that had been assigned a big mission by Lucius Malfoy. What was this mission you ask? She had to become the Assistant t...