The Heart That's Meant to Lov...

By meganfatheree

Is life a series of transactions, or does it hold surprises for those who least expect it? Naomi Rowe and Kie... More

Chapter 1: Naomi
Chapter 2: Kieran
Chapter 3: Class
Chapter 4: Appointment
Chapter 5: Lunch
Chapter 6: Task
Chapter 7: Mother
Chapter 8: Information
Chapter 9: Routine
Chapter 10: Collaboration
Chapter 11: Suddenly
Chapter 12: Meeting
Chapter 13: Research
Chapter 14: Monday
Chapter 15: Staring
Chapter 16: Interaction
Chapter 17: Admission
Chapter 18: Tawny
Chapter 19: Conflict
Chapter 20: Stress
Chapter 21: Unexpected
Chapter 22: Conscience
Chapter 23: Petty
Chapter 24: Reminder
Chapter 25: Scare
Chapter 26: Snack
Chapter 27: Money
Chapter 28: Advice
Chapter 29: Mock-Up
Chapter 30: Shark
Chapter 31: Oliver
Chapter 32: Karaoke
Chapter 34: Breathe
Chapter 35: Choice
Chapter 36: Suitable
Chapter 37: Argument
Chapter 38: Responsibility
Chapter 39: Decisive
Chapter 40: Avoidance
Chapter 41: Saccharine
Chapter 42: Losing
Chapter 43: Explanation
Chapter 44: Coloring
Chapter 45: Introspection
Chapter 46: Blindsided
Chapter 47: Spa
Chapter 48: Retreat
Chapter 49: Baggage
Chapter 50: Predator
Chapter 51: Tension
Chapter 52: Protectors
Chapter 53: Thwarted
Chapter 54: Plans
Chapter 55: Departure
Chapter 56: Interrupted
Chapter 57: Highlights
Chapter 58: Deflection
Chapter 59: Return
Chapter 60: Mugs
Chapter 61: Rendezvous
Chapter 62: The Kiss
Chapter 63: Breakup
Chapter 64: Aftershock
Chapter 65: Hope
Chapter 66: Invasion
Chapter 67: Competition
Chapter 68: Party
Chapter 69: Hurt
Chapter 70: Eavesdrop
Chapter 71: Aftereffects
Chapter 72: Eye-Opener
Chapter 73: Explanation
Chapter 74: Return
Chapter 75: Skirmish
Chapter 76: Stroll
Chapter 77: Thieves
Chapter 78: Regret
Chapter 79: Honesty
Chapter 80: Reminiscence
Chapter 81: Fauxpology
Chapter 82: Tempest
Chapter 83: Graduation
Chapter 84: Ultimatum
Chapter 85: Betrayal
Chapter 86: Thunderstorm
Chapter 87: Morning
Chapter 88: Introspect
Chapter 89: Friendship
Chapter 90: Goodbye
Chapter 91: Revisit
Chapter 92: Dirt
Chapter 93: Deceit
Chapter 94: Deal
Chapter 95: Delusion

Chapter 33: Intrusion

26 1 0
By meganfatheree

Naomi still wasn't sure how dinner had turned into karaoke, but at least she didn't have to go home. On the other hand, she wasn't sure she wanted to hang out with Oliver for this long, either. He had been acting weird since his return. Naomi couldn't quite place her finger on what changed since he left, but she felt it. That new dimension to his personality and character.

"What do you want to sing?" Oliver asked, scrolling through the digital book of options.

Naomi craned her neck to peer over his shoulder. "I'm fine. You sing if you want to."

Her mother would surely frown on any frivolity such as singing. In fact, if she knew this place had a bar, Naomi's mother might summon her home right away. Oliver must not have told her.

"We'll sing a duet, then." Oliver scrolled through another page, clearly looking for something specific.

Naomi shook her head, though she doubted that Oliver saw. He could be so pushy sometimes, always desperate to have his way whatever it took. Oliver's search for perfection had become an obsession, it seemed.

Not that Naomi had room to say anything. She had become obsessed with perfection, too.

"This one." Oliver clicked a selection, set down the tablet, and handed Naomi a microphone.

The first notes played, slow and yearning.

The door burst open.

Two men stumbled in, one holding the weight of the other. A drunken mistake, perhaps? The man in the black cap didn't look very stable. The other man... Oh no.

Naomi pulled back, startled, but managed to keep her composure. Until Kieran looked up and locked eyes with her. As always, that magical spark of connection pulled Naomi in and stole her breath.

"Hey! What's going on?" Oliver rose to his feet, stiff shoulders shouting his agitation.

Kieran lifted a hand and waved it as if to clear the air. "Sorry. My mistake. Wrong room."

"If you made a mistake, fix it," Oliver snapped.

Kieran nodded, his face the perfect mask of contrition. "Of course we will. Just let us rest here for a minute. He's heavy."

Their acting could certainly use some work. How did they expect to fool Oliver with their level of deceit? Naomi set her microphone on the cushion next to her and rose to her feet.

"Mr. Colburn?" For effect, she threw a bit of surprise into her voice. "What are you doing here?"

Kieran, for all his flaws and imperfections, had always possessed the ability to read a situation and adapt accordingly.

"Oh?" Kieran pointed a finger toward Naomi as if he had just realized she existed. "Why are you here?"

Oliver turned to shoot a look between the two. His eyes narrowed in suspicion, but all he asked was, "Doyou two know each other?"

"He teaches at the university," Naomi explained simply. Better to keep things vague, since she didn't know Oliver's true intentions anymore.

"My friend and I came out to unwind. He had a bit too much to drink." Kieran kicked at the man's shin.

Now that she could see him better, Naomi realized she knew him, too. Donovan, Kieran had called him. The friend who had scared her out of her wits. In the end, after a time spent in his presence, Naomi found Donovan wasn't as bad as she had thought. Just... aloof.

Oliver nodded, long and slow as he perused the situation. "Why don't you two hang out here for a bit, if you know Naomi? She has so few friends."

"Oh, I wouldn't call us friends, per se..." Kieran's grin appeared and disappeared faster than a gust of wind, but Naomi saw it. He wanted to tease and flirt in this situation? Adventurous, at best. Fatal, at worst.

Naomi flicked her hair behind her shoulder. "Acquaintances, though."

"Naomi and I were just about to sing a duet." Oliver picked up his microphone from where he had dropped it. "Hope you don't mind, acquaintance."

Naomi flinched at the hostile way he said it. Oliver had always protected her, much like her mother. He didn't like the unknown variables of people without a proper background. That's what happened when one came from money and had lived through so many people using him for one purpose only. Oliver had grown wary as a young man. It clearly hadn't gotten any better over the years.

"By all means, go ahead," Kieran agreed.

"Why don't you take a seat if you're staying?" Oliver's attention left the men who had intruded and landed on Naomi. He rested a hand on Naomi's shoulder. "Shall we, then?"

"Sure." Though, she didn't really want to sing. What would Kieran think of her voice? She had no talent, no rhythm. No ability. Would he laugh at her?

Kieran crossed past Naomi to find a seat. His fingers brushed hers as he did. Naomi inhaled sharply, but caught the instinctual reaction before she breathed out. When she did breathe again, it was slow and controlled. No one could know how Kieran affected her with just a touch. Naomi, herself, didn't want to admit it.

Oliver started the song over, tossing a reassuring smile to Naomi as he began the first verse.

Naomi waited for Oliver's attention to go to the lyrics on screen before she chanced a glance to Kieran.

Kieran had made himself comfortable, reclining like a king on the seat nearby. He had even gone so far as to help himself to one of the sodas that Oliver had ordered for Naomi, since she assured him she didn't drink alcohol.

Kieran raised the bottle of soda in a sort of toast before he took a swig.

Naomi refrained from rolling her eyes. Kieran clearly barged in with ulterior motives, but she couldn't place them. It annoyed her, that he managed to surprise her. Naomi had always been ready and able to read other people like an open book. Too bad that Kieran's book was written in a foreign language.

Oliver nudged an elbow against Naomi's arm, signaling that it was her time to sing.

With a deep breath meant to calm her nerves, Naomi followed the lyrics on screen. It wasn't that she didn't know the song. Naomi had heard it before and knew the tune. The thought of Kieran staring at her made her nervous. Would he tease her about this later?

Yet the song went on, and Naomi powered through it. If Kieran teased her, so be it. She had endured worse.

But, when she looked back at him, the look in his eyes spoke anything but mirth. Naomi didn't know what she had done, but on rare occasions she had seen that same look pass through Kieran's eyes. The look she couldn't interpret, but also couldn't get enough of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 1.5K 31
Book 1 of The Flaw Series. You can't scream at the world and expect the world not to scream back. Via is the type of girl who loves to live in it w...
63.3K 3.5K 38
Lily graduates from college and her life falls apart - or at least that's how it feels. Within a day, Lily a) leaves the comfort of campus with a de...
Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

241K 9.6K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
2.2K 318 36
[3x featured] Do you ever wonder if you are merely a wanderer in this world, lost forever and waiting to be found? Julia was suffering from chronic f...