Fate/Knights of the Round

Od Anoraan

Accounts the various years of Artoria's rule over Camelot, from the perspective of a new knight. (2022 Update... Více

Prologue: Lament of the Once-Dragon King
Chapter 1: A Cold Morning
Chapter 2: Sir Lancelot
Chapter 3: Breath of Relief
Update Page/Information

Chapter 4: Knight of Camelot

709 24 2
Od Anoraan

A Memory of the Past

Another cold morning swept across Camelot and yet again there was more downpour.

In the southern district of city, around the edge of the slums and near a river which ran through providing fresh water, lived a captain of the King Arthur's Army.

This was a young man around twenty years of age but perhaps as young as eightteen. How the young man got such a position was unknown to some, but maybe it was for his strong sense of duty or his developing strategical genius or something else his superiors saw. All of it may be hear-say in fact, but whatever it was--the King himself took notice of it, and clearly kept him in the position despite what some critics within the army had to say.

As the day was still starting, the sun creaked through the dusty and ruined windows of the young man's room casting some rays of light upon his face.

He stirred awake to the new day with a groan. His eyes glqncing onto the piles of paperwork on the nearby desk. They were reports that aee mandatory and tiresome, usually keeping most soldiers of higher rank awake at night. Detailed reports of patrols and small skirmishes which required intensive care as important reports which ones would be sent to Agravain, the King's personal adviser.

Agravain made it clear to the leadership of the army that the most important reports he read always went directly to the King after. And there would be no wasting time with meaningless things that the army could solve within their own power. The King was a busy individual so problems of differing scale needed to be either addressed by Agravain, the King, or the Army.

It took a bit for the young man to get going, but he eventually managed to get to washed up and dressed for the day. Already donning his standard armor for the army but clearer distinction of being a Captain of the Calvary, they were highly regarded as more of the elite knights in the army, usually riding along the Knights of the Round, and being better trained and adaptable than regulars.

With the last of his bearings, the captain made his way outside his humble abode. The sun risen a bit more but it was quite overcast. It illuminated the world in a gray hue, and it seem it probably would rain again soon. In the warmer seasons, stepping out usually provided the beautiful sight of the sun highlighting the nearby river, and the apparent emptiness which surrounded the young man's home. He did not have many neighbors as they were more spread out in the southern district.

The Southern district was Old Camelot, much of it had yet to be repaired after Uther's reign and the subsequent war of succession. Today, however, did not bring the usual emptiness of folk about the area, the captain was greeted by the sight of a male in silver armor adorned with a blue cape. This individual was young with dishwater blond hair and aqua colored eyes that were soft yet carried a stern gaze to them. He sat on the top of the wooden fence which surrounded the home. 

Before the captain could make any introductions, the individual spoke up, his voice carrying in the breeze, it was very polite and gentle, "Good morning," he looks down to the parchment in his hands, "(F/n)... (F-f/n)?" The man said in a sincere tone while second guessing his own pronunciation of the name on the paper. "What a curious name that is..." He whispered the name a few more times making to remember the name correctly.

(F/n) was the name of the captain, he was looking a little baffled by sudden appearance of a stranger adorned in the armor akin of a Camelot knight. His (e/c) hues scan around for a few moments seeing if there was any more knights about, but it was just this young man, "Pardon, we have never met before? Do I know you?" He asked. 

"I am afraid we have not met," the man replies offering smile while standing up, "I come here on official business from the King. You are requested for a meeting shortly and I am here to fetch you." The man explained.

(F/n) nearly faints hearing the knight was here on official business from the King. It felt like he somehow messed up due to him needing to be 'fetched'. But before (F/n) could even speak on the matter the man starts to speak again, "I am Gawain, Knight of the Round Table and humble servant to our King. Do not be alarmed by the sudden inquiry, but I was told it was only a discussion of previous reports that were given to Sir Agravain." He finished in a boasting manner, yet somehow so very much humble.

Gawain was the esteemed "White Knight of the Round Table", as the soldiers deemed him the sun knight due to the personality Gawain had. (F/n) never meet him personally, but from his memory of what others in the infantry spoke of, this knight matched up perfectly.

Gawain was a very earnest man who was currently overseeing the funding of the Camelot orphanages and schools. There was some issues around during Uther's reign, particularly, an orphanage burnt down in a wicked fire that soon swept through the southern district at the time. It did not help that the war of succession also hamphered the old city greatly. Gawain did most of his work out of his own pocket and gratitude. He helped much of the city residents, and was one of the few Knights of the Round Table who could be seen traversing the city on daily notice if he was not on a mission if you happen to find him.

"Oh S-sir Gawain. Pardon me for not recognizing a Knight of the Round Table. I have never the chance to see you in person in the field before.... so official business from the King you say?"

Gawain approached (F/n), "Yes, we should not stay around too long, the King is quite busy." He ushers (F/n) along like a parent having to grab their child away from a toy shop.

(F/n) barely had a moment to process it all, he was being strung along through the streets of city.

The two knights quickly reach the gate that lead the central keep of Camelot after some time.

The central keep housed the throne room, Round Table itself including residence of the King and his various subjects. It was a grand spire standing above the city, a large complex with many sub buildings outside and other locations of interest, almost like a whole district in itself.

Guards open the gates seeing Gawain. (F/n) was now in the most guarded and well protected part of Camelot past the vaults which lay somewhere in the Keep, but that was rumors at best. There was no time to even take in the beautiful exterior of the keep and the various buildings.

The pathway leading up to the main doors was calming, aged stone path dotted with trees at intervals on each side led forward and the path diverged in other directions leading to other places. Whole area would definitly pop on a sunny day, but it was unfortunatly overcast.

"Is this your first time inside the inner keep?" Gawain piped up for the first time in awhile.

"Yes, I have never been fortunate enough to been on guard duty here. My duty as a captain usually has me helping out around the army stables or training."

"Unfortunate... Quite splendid isn't?"

"It is."

Quite frankly, it was more amazing on the interior. Gawain walked up the steps to the large dark oak doors that was opened by one of the heavily armored knights standing watch.

It was incredible that the King lived in such place as (F/n) entered.

There were gloriously handcrafted chandeliers of silver and gold dangling from the ceilings, complemented by flowing carpets of luxurious wool on the floor. Entire keep echoing of the King's glory and of Camelot itself.

(F/n) was gawking in the main hall and Gawain took notice. He waved his hand in front of the lad, "Now is not the time to be caught up, our King awaits, and I warn he is not someone you keep waiting." He spoke sternly but it was out of concern.

"S-sorry, on we go."

The two went up the stairs in the center of the hall, and continued up another set located on the sides of the second floor. It was still up another few floors up before finally coming to a set of heavy double doors fashioned from oak wood with silver and gold inlays that made some type of flower like imagery.

Gawain leans against the wall, opposite of the door, "Well that does my part, I'll be waiting here as the King will speak with you alone."

The look in Gawain's eyes was determination: a loyal knight ready to strike down any foe who dare even attempt foul play upon the King. But, getting this close to the King was impossible already, the amount of protection alone was something that could not be imagined.

"Hopefully I don't die from anxiety."

Gawain smiled, "Don't worry, even the knights use to squirm like kids. Just take deep breath, and make sure to be respectful. The King is understanding despite what others may say, you'll be alright." He was quite reassuring.

This made (F/n) less anxious as he breathed in to calm himself. His mind ran wild for a bit but he found the resolve to enter shortly after the pep talk from Gawain.

The Knight slowly pushed open one of the heavy doors to the room and let himself step inside as the door shut behind him with a slow and heavy thud.

It took (F/n) to realize his surroundings, this was not a room of meeting, but that which housed the Legendary Round Table. Marble pillars lay at the side hosting the large cathedral like interior. A large old stone table sat in the middle of the room. There were many chairs that were situated around the table, and all empty at the moment except for one.

A singular seat at the north side of the table, ordained a little fancier in a subtle manner. In the chair sat a woman with golden hair, a golden crown upon her head, and striking eyes of emerald green.

(F/n) was confused, he assumed the individual in that position would be the King but a woman...

...

...

'... what...it cannot be that the King is a woman!?' (F/n) was stunned with shock as his King truly could not be a women, he swore the King of Camelot was King Arthur, the brave man who saved the country countless times in war, but here in person was a woman adorning the silver and blue lion armor.

The King had a tall figure even in her small throne. She was clad in the silver lion armor but a lot less was currently equipped as (F/n) had seen the full armor being adorned before when the King in a parade after returning from a successful repel of sea invaders. A blue cloak draping over her shoulders with white fur around the collar. 

'King Arthur' opens her mouth and what came out was a commanding voice that maintained a motherly gentleness, "Come and kneel at my left side, Knight of Camelot." Her voice echoing through the chamber sending a shiver down (F/n)'s spine.

Her presence demanded the upmost greatest of one's self, almost like you could die if you breathed wrong.

(F/n) quickly made his way over not wanting to upset his liege as he knelt on one knee. His head bowed and eyes fixated to the ground hiding the clear anxiety which had begun again. There was much confusion and doubt circling the young knight's head. It was so hard not to be frightened.

"Do you know why I have summoned you here?" The King asked in a neutral tone yet it was authoritative, her voice echoing throughout the chamber.

(F/n) stutters, "N-no, My King. Sir Gawain informed me it was of some reports I had given to my superior Sir Agravain."

The King stood up from the chair as she walked over to the knight. Every step from her armored boots echoing through the large room. (F/n) would not be exaggerating to describe it as a thunderous roar befitting of a God.

All of the stories of the King of Camelot were true. It all poured into the young knight's head then left so quickly, he was now concerned about why he was there.

The King stopped in front of the young knight as she looked down. It reminded her of some of the other knights similar looks of confusion and anxiety. A soft smile appearing on her face, "Young Knight (F/n), you are here because you shall be my newest Knight of the Round Table."

...

...

...

(F/n)'s thoughts and brain capacity completely flatlined. It was as blank as new parchment, his body tensing up in the process which made The King smirk at how shy full her newesr Knight was. It made her want to laugh aloud seeing the reaction but that would only worsen it. She knew it was very genuine reaction but it was one she had not seen in awhile since the last knight she accepted into the table was ages ago.

"Usually I would resource a small traditional ceremony upon the mystical lake of Avalon, but I have forgone this in favor of speaking with you directly. It disheartens me we cannot go about the ceremony as current times have made me far too busy at the moment. Do know I would have given you a far better introduction into my court." The King informs the knight, "From this day forward, you are no longer just a mere soldier nor Captain in my army, but one of my most trusted allies and comrades. You shall become, a Knight of the Round Table. Look at me, (F/n)." Her voice was softer than before.

(F/n) hesitantly looks up to the gaze of the King, staring into her green eyes. A soft smile on her lips accompanies her gaze as she then drew Excalibur. The 'Sword Of Promised Victory'. It had not seen combat in a long time, but was still kept about for other uses.

The King then held the sword in one hand. "Bow your head again, I shall now Knight you."

(F/n) bowed his head listening to the orders, he felt Excalibur touch each of his shoulders. The aura of the blade was very potent, it was quite holy and truly hard to even just be around. Magic was not uncommon in Camelot, but for those unaccustomed to seeing it, their reaction would have been probably worse than (F/n).

"I hereby declare you Sir (F/n) of Camelot, Knight of the Round Table. Arise."

(F/n) stands up at attention. This was a lot for him to take in as he never thought to be in such a position ever. He had no clue why he was receiving such a post either

"I see," Arthur starts, "Do not think too much of my decision. Trust that I have gone over it thoroughly. And I hope my appearance did not cause much confusion, I made sure prior you were able to see me as my true self." She smiled with a soft gaze. "Questioning it shall only bring you more confusion."  It was like the King could easily read one's own thoughts without a second guess as she had an intellect to her.

"Forgive me my King."

"Please, formalities are not needed here. You can address as your comrade and friend. My true name is Artoria though around those not of the Round Table, Arthur is okay."

(F/n) would have never suspected such a name. The name Arthur was clearly either a mistake or the King was hiding behind it. A woman in this position of power, was unheard of and highly frowned upon in other Kingdoms of Europe.

Artoria sheathes Excalibur back into its scabbard and sets it on the Round Table, "As a knight of my table, you are required every day to appear at routine meetings after first light here. Be sure to arrive on time. Gawain will show you to your new residence within the keep, I've already prepared a room for you, but don't get too comfortable. Tomorrow, I already assigned you with to be going on your first mission with Sir Lancelot." Artoria said with a bright smile, she seemed very lively and in a great mood.

"Sir Lancelot..." (F/n) mutters as this was so much for him to digest, suddenly taken out of his thoughts as someone put their arm around his shoulder tightly and ruffled his hair.

"So you're a knight now, kiddo!" It was Gawain, his smile a bit mischievous as if he knew the entire time that this was going to happen. His super serious mood had vanished for a brotherly one.

(F/n) groans from the ruffling as it was super uncomfortable and embarassing, "S-stop it." He pushes against the barely budging brute.

Gawain could only laugh in response as it made (F/n) more displeased and flustered. The two started to banter like two brothers over a toy. Artoria watched on with a soft smile. It was quite funny to her as she could not help but to internally giggle about it. She knew (F/n) was going to fit right in with the Knights.

Outside of the inner keep and perched upon the roofs of the keeo perch was a veiled woman. A figure adorned in black attire obscuring the body and a cloak hid her face from the world. Her green eyes watching Camelot as a crow soon flown to her shoulder.

"I see... a new knight, what could that add to our game."

The woman emitted a faint chuckle before disappearing into a small black puff of energy. Arcane in nature and even so, quite dark. 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
508K 15.9K 74
Hiraeth - A homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost pla...
539K 11.7K 38
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
235K 5.8K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...