Moon Born

By HeatherWampler

Elanor belongs to the Moon Mist pack and is happy going to school, anxiously waiting for her 18th birthday wh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Epilogue

Chapter 18

80.9K 2.6K 334
By HeatherWampler

Winter Lake was a magnificent city. It was easily three times the size of Moon Mist and far surpassed Silver Peak in beauty and charm. Beautiful, old shops and businesses lined the main street. Lights were strung up on trellises in front of the shops. And side streets dotted with beautiful stone homes.

All of the buildings in the wolf territory were kept on the smaller side, unlike the human world. It was one of the small ways we were able to keep ourselves hidden. Extra protection in case our barrier didn't work. Obviously, it wasn't working if a dead human was found and these creatures were able to get in.

As we drove down the old cobblestone main street, I sat up and inhaled deeply.

"What is that?"

"What?" Ashley asked.

"That smell. What is that smell?"

She took a deep breath. "Oh, that does smell good. Fresh bread?"

I shook my head. "No. Not the bread. The other smell. It's...I don't know. Spicy. Woodsy. It's intoxicating."

"Uh, no? I don't smell anything," she said, sticking her head out the window and sniffing.

"How do you not smell that? Stop the car. I need to find that smell!"

"Um, okay." She pulled the car to the side of the road and put it in park.

I climbed out and followed the scent down the road. A large crowd was in front of a bookstore not far from where we were.

"What's going on there?" Ashley asked.

"I don't know. But that's where the smell is coming from."

"You're never going to be able to get in there."

"I have to try. They must all be trying to buy whatever is making that smell. Maybe it's a Winter Lake cologne or something?"

"Then why can't I smell it?"

I shrugged my shoulders and joined the mass of people. Men, women, and children pushed one another trying to get inside and there was no moving any of them.

"Damn. Okay. Let's find King Orsand and Beta Marsha. Dad should have called their offices to let them know we were coming."

"Hey, we can come back later. I'm sure you'll be able to find the smell then."

I nodded but wasn't so sure. My wolf whined in my head. She wanted in that store desperately. We walked in the opposite direction looking for the police station or anything that would signify a king's office.

"If you were a king, where would you be?" Ashley questioned.

"A castle?"

"Yeah. I probably would be too. Have you ever seen the Winter Lake castle?"

I shook my head. "I've never been here before. I have seen pictures, I've never seen the actual castle in real life though."

"Me either."

"Let's ask and find out."

"Sounds good."

We went into a bakery near the car and meandered around. We picked up a box and put random pastries and bread into it.

"Oh, grab this." Ashley put a chocolate-covered donut in the box. "And this!"

"Hi! Welcome to Rose's Bakery! Did you find everything to your satisfaction?" an older woman with white hair and tiny glasses asked while wiping her hand on a floral apron.

"Yeah. This place is great," Ashley gushed.

"I'm glad you enjoy it! Everything tastes really good too!"

"We're new here. Visiting from Moon Mist. We're supposed to meet with King Orsand, do you know where his office is?"

"The king?"

"Yes. We're Moon Mist's Beta and Gamma's daughters. Official business, you know."

"Oh. He should be at Winter Lake castle."

"Right. The castle." I glanced at Ashley.

"It's on the shores of Winter Lake."

"Thank you." I glanced out the window nervously.

The old woma let out a high-pitched laugh. "It's not far from here. Just right down the main drag, through a small thicket of trees, and you can't miss it."

"Great. Thank you. And the library. I'm supposed to meet with Anna Oakly."

"The library. Um, if you turn onto Evergreen Terrace it'll be the really old-looking grey, stone building. There are large white columns out front. It looks more like a museum than a library."

"Perfect. And Marsha Brandywine? Beta Kenrick wanted me to meet with her as well. I'm so sorry for all the questions."

The woman laughed again. "It's not a problem. I'm happy to help. Beta Marsha is usually at the library or the castle. She has an office there to be near the king. They're always in meetings."

"Good. Good." I paid for the delicacies and we walked back to the car.

The smell lingered in the air but I knew the source of it was gone.

"Where to first?"

"Let's try the castle. Hopefully, Marsha is there and we can just meet with her and the king at once."

"Sounds good to me."

Ashley drove slowly along the idyllic road through the gorgeous woods and came upon a magical lake.

"Can this place be any more perfect?"

I stared, mouth agape at the large and imposing castle. "Holy shit."

"Imagine living there."

"Yeah. Right," I scoffed. "That would be a freaking dream."

We drove around the road to the front gates, being stopped by armed guards.

"Halt! What is your business here?"

"Hi. Um, so we have a meeting with King Orsand and Beta Marsha. We're from Moon Mist helping with the investigation about the creatures."

"Names?"

"Elanor and Ashley. Beta Kenrick and Gamma Arthur's daughters."

He looked down at his clipboard. "Okay. Here you are." He pointed down an extremely long driveway. "Go straight until you see the castle. Park to the right. Not the left. First spot. The guard at the front doors will show you where to go from there."

"Sounds good. Thanks," Ashley said.

As we proceeded up the driveway the smell hit me again but not nearly as strong as in town. I inhaled deeply feeling my inner wolf stir. She whined loudly, wanting to get to the smell.

"What's wrong?" Ashley asked.

"The smell that I smelled earlier. It's here!"

"Oh good. Now you can find it."

"How? How am I supposed to search a castle, Ash?"

"I dunno. I'm sure you'll figure out a way. What if it's your mate?" She looked at me with wide eyes and a huge grin.

"Perhaps. At least having a mate in Winter Lake would mean I get to move from Moon Mist."

"And you would only be a town over from me!" she exclaimed excitedly.

"That is really close," I agreed. "Much better than being hours and hours apart."

"Yes! We can still hang out and you get rid of two giant fleas that are petulant blood suckers"

I laughed lightly at her description of Alex and Harmony. "Remember, the first spot on the right."

"What would happen if I didn't park there?"

"Ash, come on. Not here. I don't feel like getting thrown in a dungeon because you parked in the wrong parking spot."

"Yeah, that would put a damper on the day. First spot on the right."

We both stared up at the castle for a few minutes before getting out.

"Honestly?" Ashley asked.

"Honestly."

"I'm kind of nervous."

"Same. I'm legit nervous. I'm never nervous."

My phone beeped.

'Where the fuck are you?'

"Are you kidding?"

"What?"

"It's Harmony."

"What does she want?"

"To know where I am."

"Well, that is none of her damned business."

"No, it is not."

I exited the text and walked up the many steps to the castle's front doors.

"Halt. State your business!"

"Hi. Elanor and Ashley."

The man spoke into a radio quietly before opening the door. "Take your first right and walk down the hall. At the T please, make a left and the first door on your right."

We both nodded and walked inside Winter Lake castle.

"Oh my Goddess," Ashley gasped.

"That's right."

Once you walk through the doors of Winter Lake castle, your senses are on overload. The walls stretched up for what seemed like forever. The soft golden color walls were adorned with paintings of the royal family dating back to our first King. A small, dark corridor on the left stretched to the back of the castle.

"Down the creepy hall?" Ashley asked.

"Uh huh."

We walked along, staring at the suits of armor that lined the corridor. The hallway was lit with torches, casting eerie shadows making the armor almost look alive.

"This is incredible!" Ashley gushed.

"Yeah, it is."

I inhaled deeply, the smell growing stronger. I felt a weird stirring deep in my stomach. It was overwhelming, invading all of my senses.

"What is that smell!"

"I still don't smell anything," she said.

"It's absolutely maddening."

"Sorry."

I turned to the right, following my nose. Ashley grabbed my arm and dragged me to the left. "To the left, Ellie."

"The smell is to the right though!"

"No. I don't want to be thrown in a dungeon."

I groaned and followed her to the first door on the right. I knocked and waited for an answer. The door creaked open and a tall man stood before us.

"Elanor and Ashley?" he asked.

We both nodded.

He opened the door wider and stood to the side. "King Orsand and Beta Marsha are awaiting you."

We walked into the room wide-eyed. There was a large fireplace against the wall in front of us and a large mahogany desk next to yet another door. The walls were painted a deep red with dark paneling below. The room was beautiful.

"Please, through the door." He motioned to the door beside the desk.

We entered the king's inner room and saw him hunched over an even larger desk. A woman sat opposite him, her arms flailing in the air as she argued with him.

"Orsand, listen, we need to do something."

"We need to do something about everything, Marsha."

"Yes, but Edmond needs to find a mate. He's nearly 19."

"Marsha, don't you think my subjects being attacked and in danger is more important? Plus, he's only 19. He's still a pup."

"Have you seen the way he's been behaving lately? A future king needs to be mated. If he doesn't find his mate, you have to force him to mate with someone before he becomes dangerous."

"No, Marsha. I'm not doing that."

"Orsand, what happened with King Henry?"

"That was extenuating circumstances."

"He went mad and massacred half of Misty Pines."

He sighed heavily. "I know."

"Gamma's daughter turns 18 next week. If he doesn't find his mate by then, and she doesn't mate, force it. I don't know what else we can do, Orsand."

"We can give the boy time, Marsha. I mean, Goddess, he's only 19."

"Orsand. King. Henry. We don't need another Misty Pines incident."

"That was hundreds of years ago."

"And? Every king and future king has found their mate by 19."

"Fine. Fine. We'll have one more ball to see if he finds his mate and then it'll be forced. Now can we focus on how to protect our people?"

Ashley nudged me as King Orsand looked up.

"Oh, ladies. I do apologize you had to hear that. Please, come forward."

"Thank you for seeing us, your majesty. Beta Marsha. We truly appreciate it."

"You are Beta Kenrick's daughter?" Beta Marsha asked.

I nodded.

"You look so much like him. Except for the hair. That is quite unique."

"Oh, yeah. My grandmother had silver hair." I pushed it off to the side, forgetting about my mark.

"Child, come forward," King Orsand commanded, standing from his desk.

I looked at Ashley nervously, she just shrugged.

I swallowed hard and approached our king. He moved the hair out of my face and tilted my head up examining my forehead.

"That is an interesting mark. Have you always had it?"

I shook my head. "It appeared on my 18th birthday."

Not a lie. That is when you got it. He doesn't need to know the entire Artemis backstory.

"Marsha, look at the mark."

She stood and stared at it for a moment before her eyes went wide. "Oh my Goddess. Give me a second."

She hurried from the room, returning a few minutes later with a thick, leather-bound book. She flipped through until she stopped on a page with an image of my mark.

"The crescent moon and bow are the mark of Artemis."

" Oh, really?" I asked, trying to sound surprised.

"How fascinating," Beta Marsha said.

"Has anyone investigated that?"

I shook my head. "No. The attacks happened shortly after my birthday so that has been what we've been focusing on."

"Right. The attacks. What has your father found out?" she asked.

"Not much as far as what they are yet, he's still running tests. I saw them when I was in Silver Peak."

"You saw them?"

I nodded. "They are not normal. The creatures have no hair, pointed ears, blood-red eyes, and their mouths are full of razor-sharp teeth."

"Fascinating," King Orsand mumbled.

"The creatures attacked and bit one of the water department men. The bite ended up turning him into some sort of hybrid creature. He was a wolf but also whatever that thing was."

"It turns us?"

I nodded. "And Deer Creek is already creating silver gates and locks to block off the drainage system."

"Silver gates and locks? Why?"

"They were able to break through the gates and locks in Silver Peak. Those were made of iron. We thought maybe they would be susceptible to silver."

"That is a really good idea," Marsha said, nodding along. "Can they produce enough for everyone?"

"I believe so. Between Deer Creek mining the silver and Misty Pines manufacturing the gates and locks, there should be enough to block off the drainage system."

"Good. Good. That helps with the protection. How do we defeat them?"

"That I don't know. I was hoping we could get into the library and research. Maybe we can find something."

"Yes, yes. That could work." King Orsand rubbed his temples.

"I'll work with our troops to ensure they have enough weapons and are preparing for an invasion just in case," Marsha said.

"Good. I'll keep in communication with the Alpha's of the packs."

Ashley and I stood up. "We'll head to the library."

"Uh, one thing. We're having a ball tomorrow. You ladies are to attend."

"Of course, your majesty."

"Thank you."

We turned toward the door but he stopped us again.

"Where are you staying?"

"Actually, we don't know yet. We just arrived in Winter Lake and haven't found a hotel yet."

"Good. You'll stay here. Plenty of room."

"H-here?" Ashley stammered.

"Is that okay? Would you prefer a hotel or somewhere else?"

"No!" she said quickly. "No, your majesty. You are most kind. I never expected to stay in Winter Lake castle."

"Anything for the girls risking everything to help their realm. We appreciate everything you have been doing."

"Thank you, your majesty."

We hurried from the room, giddy at the fact we were going to stay in the castle.

As we approached the front doors, one of the butlers stopped us. "Ladies, please follow me."

"Uh, where?" I asked.

"To your quarters."

"We need to get our stuff," Ashley said.

"That is already taken care of. Please, follow me." He bowed in a exaggerated fashion and held out an arm pointing in the direction.

"Okay..." we followed the man down the long, golden-colored hallway, into a large room with a grand staircase in the center.

Rooms lined the sides of the staircase leading to who knows where. We followed him up, the smell growing incredibly strong.

We rounded and corner and nearly collided with a tall, statuesque blonde girl.

"Excuse you," she snipped.

"Pardon us, Savannah." The man again bowed but this time he nearly bent himself in half while extending both of his arms out.

"That is future queen," she snapped back at the butler.

"Ma'am, you are not yet mated with the prince. It would be inappropriate of me to address you as such."

"Then you can call me princess."

"I do beg your pardon, but I cannot. You are not mated to the prince."

She stuck her nose in the air, huffed, and stomped away.

"Well, she's pleasant," I muttered.

"She is the Gamma's daughter and who is being pushed for the prince to force mate." He visibly shuddered as we kept walking.

"Oh, she would be our future queen?" Ashley stuck her tongue out.

"Yes, so we are hoping that the next ball the prince finds his mate because we do not want her as...oh, I do apologize. I should not say such things."

"It's okay," I said. "We may be high-ranking daughters, but we do not have the same thoughts as our fathers. Open communication is always a good thing."

The butler nodded and smiled slightly. "Here are your quarters, ladies. Please, do not hesitate to call out if you need anything."

"Who should we call out for?" Ashley asked.

"Phil."

"Phil?"

"Yes, madame. Phil."

Great. Thanks, Phil."

"The library. What is the quickest way to the library?" I asked.

"I can arrange transportation for you."

"Really? That would be wonderful!"

"A car shall be ready in about twenty minutes."

He hurried away as we entered the room. Ashley and I gasped.

There were two large beds to the left side and a roaring fireplace to the right. The far wall was floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Winter Lake with a pillow-covered window seat.

"I think I've died and gone to heaven!"

"This is insane," I said, walking to the windows. "Look at this view! Can we just stay here forever?"

"I wonder if Alastair can Beta Silver Peak from this room," Ashely wondered out loud.

"I'd be a maid here if it meant I got this room."

We unpacked our things, waiting for the butler to let us know the car was ready.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.9K 1.2K 27
The year is 2040, Kaydence Evans is trying to survive college in a world full of werewolves. She has been trained by her father for past 10 years in...
2M 53.1K 41
TITLE CHANGE! Renamed from "He's A Werewolf, My Mate, Oh, and Also The Alpha King! Carter is a beautiful, strong, determined young wolf in her pack...
189 1 9
Alaric Greystone is Alpha to the Snow Moon Pack located in the wilderness of Northern Alaska. His pack was smaller than most with only 18 members, bu...
2.2M 76.2K 58
18+ | April has lived her entire life with humans. So when the controlling Alpha who turns out to be her mate tries to force her to leave with him, s...