Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

52.

6.7K 234 7
By helpingthemind

Tommy was tired.

Feeling determined to get this business done with as soon as possible.

It's been a couple weeks since they got to see the Russians treasury.
The night was hectic and all he could think about was his sweet Angel waiting for him back home.

Like he said, she had nothing to worry about. Tatianna showed him the jewelry, and that was it. He went home to Bella, where she was waiting with open arms.

Bella also did What she said, helped put the finishing touches on the orphanage's grand opening.

Tommy liked seeing her her so excited about it. It was easy to tell that she wanted it to be perfect.
She says that she wants to give back to Grace, thinking she owes everything she has now to her.
But Tommy can also tell that after her own experience in foster care, she wants to make sure these kids have a better experience.

Today was the day of the opening.

Fixing his suit jacket as he walked down the main stairs.

Bella stood by the door waiting patiently for him. Hearing the stairs creak, she turned around,
When she fully faced him, he was speechless, she looked absolutely beautiful.

Her hair was curled and half pinned back. wearing a velvet light pink dress, her favorite color, with a pair of black heels that matched her hair. Pearl earrings and necklace, showing class.

She looked wonderful everyday, he thought, but seeing her dress as a woman of class left him breathless.

She smiled, carrying Charlie, who was All ready in his little green outfit, meeting him at the bottom.

He leaned in to kiss her quickly, knowing that as soon as Charlie noticed he would push him away, still being very protective over Bella.

"You look beautiful, peach." He complimented her, loving the slight pink tint that made its way onto her cheeks.

"Thank you, Mr. Shelby. You look brilliant as well."

Winking at her in response, Turning his attention to his son, petting his head "are you two ready to go?"

Smiling she nodded, looking at the boy, who smiled at her.
"I think we are"

*****

The whole family and company made an appearance.

Unfortunately, Eleanor couldn't come since she wasn't feeling well. Which upset Bella but she understood, she'll just have to make plans to visit her mum soon.

After taking a family photo, everyone made their way inside for the introductions.

Tommy sat at the end of the aisle, with Bella to his right, and Charlie still in her arms.

He's noticed that when they're out, Charlie likes to stay close to Bella. She's become a big source of comfort for him, and Tommy couldn't have asked for anyone better to fill that void for him.

Bella sat in awe, listening to Polly speak. She spoke proudly, and it showed.

Everything had turned out better than she expected. The flowers, the decorations, the audience...Bella was proud of the day

"Please help me welcome the man who made this all possible...ladies and gentleman...Mr.Thomas Shelby!" Polly announced

Everyone stood up clapping at the mention of him. Arthur and John yelling at him to make speech. While Bella looked over at him with a big smile, since she couldn't clap with the baby in her arms.

Tommy leaned over, kissing the crown of her head before making his way to podium.

Folding his arms behind his back, he nodded letting the crowd know that he'll begin.
"Well, I didn't come here today to make a speech but I will say this. These children are safe now."

Bella felt Charlie playing with her hair, looking down at the boy getting his attention. Then pointed up at the stage where his father was, causing him to smile looking up at him.

Tommy must've noticed because he turned his attention to them.
"I would also like to thank Ms. Bella Ray, who helped make this day and this institution possible. The children are in good hands with her."

Feeling the attention on her, her cheeks turned pink again, waving to everyone.

After finishing his short speech, everyone made their way into the hall, where the social aspect of the event began.

Bella wasn't one for interacting with strangers for the benefit of business.
So when she noticed Tommy wasn't present, she used that as her excuse to leave for a minute.

Adjusting Charlie on her hip as she walked down a hallway, turning a corner only to stop abruptly.

At the other end of it was Tommy...talking with Father Hughes.

When the priest noticed her presence, he turned to her, making his way towards her.

She stood frozen, mouth hanging open in shock,

She couldn't breath.

The burning in her chest was starting to become unbearable the closer he got.

"Good to see you again, Ms. Ray." He spoke, snapping her out of her trance.
Taking a sharp breath, she turned to keep Charlie of his view, glaring at the man. Who eyed her as he passed.

Her eyes stayed on the door he left from until she felt Tommy's hand on her elbow, causing her jump and look at him

"What is he doing here?" She demanded of him

Tommy looked her over, making sure she was okay. She was a little frazzled but other than that she seemed fine.
"It's only temporarily. He'll be gone soon."

He hadn't meant for Bella to see him, or know he was here in general. Tommy had to make sure everything else was settled before he could get rid of him for good. Until then he was taking an office in the orphanage.

But he never told Bella that.

She bit her bottom lip, still looking at the door. Annoyed and frustrated with the situation.
"Okay."
She said then walked away back into the event hall.

Tommy sighed watching her walk away.
She was upset with him for allowing Hughes here. it'll be done with soon, then he can make it up to her.

Bella sat off to the side of the gathering. No longer in the mood to be here.

She was angry. There was no reason for Father Hughes to be anywhere near this event. At the very least, Tommy should have told her, warned her, anything but keep it a secret.

Tommy came back a few minutes after her. But still she kept her distance, watching as he made small conversation with donors.

One of the ladies mentions Charlie, who Bella was still holding, causing unwanted attention onto her.

Tommy walked over, bending down to take Charlie. He tried his best to give her an apologetic look, and get her to look at him but she simply just helped him adjust the boy in his arms before walking away.

He sighed, having to turn his attention back to the women, he didn't like seeing her so upset with him.
Trying his best to cover up his annoyance as they all talked at once. The commotion and absence of Bella caused Charlie to start crying.

Tommy looked around for someone to take him, so he can get the picture over with. No longer seeing Bella in the room, he handed him over to one of nurses who offered...

Bella was in the hallway leaning against the wall by the door, feeling more irritated by the second. Seeing Tommy's fake politeness when the bastard that ruined her childhood and almost took his life was in the building made her sick.

The door started to open again, side stepping so she wouldn't get hit by it.

She heard his cry first. Charlie.

The nurse that walked through the door was carrying a crying Charlie.

Bella immediately got a stabbing gut feeling, Wanting the boy back in her arms.

"Hey! What're you doing?! I'll take him back." She spoke to the nurse with urgency

The nurse turned to her, not seeing her beforehand, looking surprised. Then turned starting to run down the hallway.

"Fuck!" Bella yelled as she started following her, the panic getting worse, this wasn't right. Charlie still crying reaching out for Bella who was close behind.

The nurse cut a corner leading outside, then just as Bella did the same, the end of a gun hit her hard in the forehead,

Causing her world to go black...

*****

He couldn't find them. He couldn't fucking find them.

One minute he was trying to take a picture with some donors, and the next he couldn't find his son anywhere.

The panic rose in his throat, looking around the room. He asked Ada, his brothers and Polly...no one saw where he went. No one knows where Bella is either.

He was trying not to panic, but that didn't last long when Ada told him someone saw a Nurse take Charlie out back.

The family took off running through the building, trying to find the baby.

Finally making it outside, Tommy looked all around, nothing.

"Charlie!!! .... Bella!!!!" He screamed for them

Nothing. He felt sick. He threw up.

Seeing John across the lawn, he made his way there. The panic almost unbearable.

"John? John where are they?" He asked desperately hoping he had an answer

Just then Arthur came running around the corner, going straight up to John "junctions! Block them all off!"

Tommy felt sick again, as Arthur turned and grabbed his face
"Wh-where is he, Arthur? Tell me."

"Someone took them."

Tommy lost it, pushing Arthur away, trying to run. He didn't know where but he had to do something!

Arthur reached out grabbing him again. "Listen. Listen. Someone put him in a car, they had Bella too. sh-she was unconscious."

He lost his balance, holding onto Arthur's jacket so he wouldn't fall. No longer listening to what he said.

He took them. Father Hughes took them. He has his son and he has Bella.

Bella would keep Charlie safe, he knew that.

But Bella was hurt.

The person he promised to protect her from took her.

And he has no idea how to find them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.4K 2.1K 22
Before the war, when Tommy and the Shelby family were simple bookmakers that just dabbled in criminality, John was not the only one who married early...
256K 8.7K 34
𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙤𝙬 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚 • 𝙖𝙡𝙨𝙤 𝙘𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚'𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙤𝙬, 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙥𝙩 𝙥𝙤𝙨𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 "𝙤𝙣𝙚-𝙬𝙖𝙮 𝙙𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙘...
241K 4.6K 26
She's always been there in the background for Tommy Shelby; Forever loyal to the man she loves but with new complications with the police and new ene...
31.7K 566 41
A young girls life changes in the matter of months when she meets the peaky blinder... For the better or worst???