Cosplay Shenanigans

By Tara676

Since he was young, Abel Eastwood had been a diehard fan of cosplaying characters from various TV shows and m... More

introduction
0 - of encounters and eye contact
1 - of control freaks and special attacks
2 - of cynical douchebag and closeted weeb
3 - of punchable look and violet eyes
4 - of cocky detective and princess charming
5 - of ulterior motives and first challenge
6 - of setting sun and poker chip
7 - of tiniest smiles and screaming parents
8 - of dying walrus and miserable liar
9 - of baby dumplings and phone numbers
10 - of hottie noodles and silent breathing
11 - of friendship plans and basement dwellers
12 - of masterpiece and huge confidence
13 - of first impression and misunderstandings
15 - of rabbit hole and pandemonium
16 - of bigger person and timbits
17 - of math exam and show off
18 - of morning exercise and nicknames
19 - of repeated offender and stupid loser

14 - of night walks and burning star

123 4 44
By Tara676

Abel might not be able to contemplate the reason why he instantly accepted Mairi's — even she asked about it — invitation, but he was far from complaining.

Night walks were explicitly defined within his scope of activities, where Rocky would happily trot beside him as the two explored through empty parks and neighborhoods. Not to mention, besides drowning himself in his fantasy world, he got nothing much to do. Not that his family cared where he was, anyway. Might as well disappear for weeks and they would never give a shit.

Catching with his breath, he pursued after Mairi, catching up with her speed. Crickets chanted a jarring chorus as they settled within the thickets surrounding them. Only the lights from the street lamps guided them through the path; anything outside was shrouded in total darkness. The brisk wind swept through their clothes, the cold puncturing through their skin.

Abel had not a faintest clue where the heck he was; he just went along with his friend. She was the one who wanted this, after all. However, he admitted her taste in choosing these kinds of places. He didn't even know he needed this. Nature is truly the best therapy. I'll bring Rocky here someday.

"I like hanging around here," she initiated, placing her hands on her back. "There's not too many people, so it's pretty secluded."

"Yeah, I can tell." Abel scanned around the area. A couple jogged past them, throwing brief smiles while the cosplayers bobbed their heads.

"Do you do night walks?" She glanced around her shoulder.

"Yeah. With my dog," he responded. "But I usually go to parks closer to my house."

"You got a dog? That's so cool." Mairi's flat tone... was way too off with the compliment. "What's its name?"

"Rocky. A border collie." The image of his innocent dog immediately melted his heart. "I took him in when he was just a small bean. He's like a brother to me."

"Small bean? That's a cute description coming from you."

If that comment wasn't ridiculing him, then Abel didn't know what was. He narrowed his eyes, but he zipped his lips and looked over to the rustling trees. Come on dude, this is Mairi you're talking to. Don't lower your guard too much.

"How about you? Do you have a pet?" Abel questioned back before she could do more of her antics. Seriously with her...

"Just a couple of fishes. My dad doesn't allow me to have any other pets, since... well...." Mairi's voice trailed off into the air as she was focused on the pavement in the distance. "Everyone's really busy with work."

Weird emphasis, but okay. He thought as the two climbed a flight of stairs. "But fishes make great pets. They're fascinating and colorful to watch. I never had them though, so I don't know much."

"Me neither." Abel blinked not only twice, but thrice at her nonchalant reply as she shrugged. "I had them for barely a week, but don't worry." She slammed her hand into her chest while wearing such an unmoved face. "I happened to learn pretty fast."

You acting like that makes me more worried. Also, I won't be flattered by your impersonation of me. His brow twitched before he let out a sigh. It blatantly sounded like she was forcing herself as well. He hastily shook his head and resumed trudging behind her.

"Also... this is our first time hanging out together. Just the two of us." Perhaps for her, it wasn't glaringly obvious. Why the need to point that out? It's not like it's anything special because that's what friends do.

Well, that was what she asserted.

"You should be grateful I joined you." He prompted. "That way, you won't be so alone."

"I always hung out by myself so I never felt that lonely. You're a great addition." Mairi pulled the corner of her lips. Underneath the illumination of the streetlight, her purple eyes seemed as though they were glinting. "Thanks for the concern, though."

This woman... At other times she was completely impenetrable, but in those moments where even the slightest change was seen... Abel's ribs pounded — as if it was being bludgeoned. Just how many times should I tell you... Stop harboring those stupid feelings you dumbass.

"Huh. I-I'm not concerned. I only pitied you." Abel grumbled as he dashed past her, his pace became oddly faster.

"I see." She strode after him, her long hair gliding through the air. "Feeling pity means you still cared in one way or another."

"It's different!" He exclaimed.

"At least for me... it's the same," she insisted as she skipped over a small hole. "Pity shows your empathy."

He subconsciously rubbed the back of his warm neck and he ogled hard at the concrete below. Regardless of how much he tried denying her sentiments, she would easily ricochet them back to him. You can't even form a single rebuttal against her, so what do you expect from challenging her?

"Anyway... there's gonna be another cosplay con in October," Mairi announced. "Have you thought of who to cosplay as?"

And now that was an excellent question. Abel had to give her some credit there.

"Not really. I do have a couple of characters in mind, but probably Klo from Sword Dance," he bubbled. "That redhead... he's an actual badass. He's both confident and knows how to outsmart his enemies, not a complete coward like the others, so he's pretty much my type of guy."

"Ah, I know that one. I read the novels but haven't watched the series," she acknowledged. "But from what you've cosplayed so far, I can see why you like him."

"I've got to design his costume as soon as I can though. He has a lot of props to do compared to Kaito, but I can't wait for that." Abel rubbed his hands, before he placed his arms behind his head. "How about you?"

"Levi." There was no hesitation in her voice; her answer came in like a bullet. "My fans have been begging me to cosplay him for quite a while now, so I've started working on his cape and uniform."

Ah yes, that Attack on Titan man who was responsible for the explosion of countless ovaries. When the series took a huge leap into the spotlight, Charlotte and Adrian had been waxing lyrical about his character and backstory. Can't really blame them though. He actually knows what he's doing and is pretty respectable.

However, Abel managed to discern a pattern of characters she had cosplayed; they were either the elegant or expressionless type. At the thought, he inwardly sneered. I can see where she's going. Taking advantage of her poker face, huh?

"We both get some good characters," she went on. "I can't wait to see how they're gonna turn out."

"Heh, I'll make sure my cosplay's much better than before and sweep over the showcase before you know it." Abel simpered, his impish grin wider than ever while he hopped two steps down a staircase. "I learned my lesson, so I won't be like last week. It's gonna be a huge comeback, let me tell you."

There was no verbal feedback, but Mairi did halt on top of the stairs. Because nature always loved participating in their conversation, the evening breeze grew in strength, tousling both of their contrasting hairs. No lampposts were shining down on where they currently were, but Abel — somehow — traced out her immovable deadpan face as she gazed straight at him.

Seconds flew by, but no one bothered breaking the silence, so the jarring crickets in the background overshadowed them. Under her intense scrutiny, Abel scolded himself not to gulp under pressure. What's up... with her? She's suddenly quiet. Dazed perhaps?

"Something wrong?" Abel questioned, but it induced no response. He lifted one of his brows, but perhaps... there was one possibility, and that made him burst into chuckles. "Are you perhaps... worried?" joked the cocky cosplayer.

Nah, that can't be. The tiny voice in his mind retorted. You're the one who should be.

"Make sure to keep that confidence and passion high, Abel." Mairi finally regained her voice as she peered at the pitch black sky.

"The hell you mean? Of course I do! I don't need someone to tell me."

"Good. Be that one burning star in the dark... and don't end up like someone I know," she murmured, swiftly descending the stairs and strolling past him.

"Wait what? Someone?" He tilted his head, but she continued walking. "Hey, wait up!" He sprang after her retreating figure. Also, since when did this woman turn so philosophical? Did some weird revelations flash through her head when she was staring at him? She couldn't get any more perplexing!

Also... there was no point trying to ask who the hell was she referring to, judging from her abrupt reaction. Yeah, I don't want to know either. Not trying to pry into your life.

Unfortunately, curiosity had another opinion. Well, it was not surprising; it was always in a constant hunger for details, whether they were important or not. It would never once be satisfied albeit sufficient evidence. Hold it in, dude. Hold it in...

"Oh, and Abel." Mairi tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Have Jeanne sent you your schedule yet?"

Ah yes, the perfect time for topic change.

"Yup. I'm covering all night shifts on most weekdays and on Sundays." He adjusted his watch. "Awesome way to kill time instead of being at home all the time."

"Being at home, huh..." she whispered, her bangs blanketing most of her eyes. "I don't like staying too long at my house either. That's why I love being outside and getting some fresh air."

That's what I had been thinking earlier... Discovering some relatability with Mairi other than their hobbies was... surreal? Abel was certain that was the accurate term, and quite frankly, he had no clue what to say. Not to mention, his shoulders felt heavier than usual. Weird... I was never like this before.

The off-duty cosplayers kept to themselves as they traversed through the rest of the trail, only greeting a couple of strangers. Mairi, who had been talkative for a while, was now awfully silent. She did steal a few glances at the sky, even though there was basically nothing to admire.

Eventually, the two approached the clearing of the park, where the rambunctious noises of passing vehicles filled their eardrums in a heartbeat. Abel flinched at the loud revving engine of some stupid car, but it was not as bad as when Mairi's hand... latched into his arm without any warning.

"Hey, what the hell?! That hurt!" He cried out, but not only did she not stir in her tensed position, her iron grip tightened. Her attention was entirely affixed to a certain person reeling by the sidewalk. Their lanky legs wobbled with every step they took, and consequently they collided against the wall.

"Huh... it's just some random drunkard." He breathed. "Come on, we can just ignore—"

Abel nearly bit on his tongue when Mairi abruptly yanked his body, causing him to whirl into the opposite direction before he could yelp. This woman's burst of strength had pain ripping out from his arm. Surprisingly though, his muscle held it in and did not tear apart.

"What the fuck are you—"

Okay, he shouldn't have spoken, because now his teeth barely punctured his gum as Mairi further dragged the shit out of the blue-haired guy like he was merely a rag doll. They broke into a sprint — more like she forced him to — back into the confines of the park. The stomps of their shoes reverberated against the trees, splintering the peace apart; even the crickets cut off their melodies.

What the actual fuck is going on?! Am I actually missing something?!

Fuck. My arm...

And then... Mairi and Abel were deep in the trail once again, their hearts racing in a marathon and their lungs desperately grasping for any air entering their nostrils. When she loosened her clutch, he took the opportunity to jerk his numb arm off her.

"What the hell... is wrong with you?" Abel said between his gasps.

Mairi wiped her nose, her breaths still profound. Despite everything, her poker face returned as she brushed off her pants. "I hate seeing drunk people."

"Huh? But we can just avoid them and move on!" Scratch that, why were they running in the first place? What was the point? Couldn't they walk past them like they never existed?

"They brought me unpleasant memories I would rather not remember," Mairi said rather fleetingly. "Oh, and there's an alternative path in this park, so we can use that one," she suggested, turning a deaf ear to the events that occurred a few seconds ago.

Yup, that's enough.

"I'm not a dumbass, Mairi. Ignoring it won't get you anywhere," Abel blurted. "You don't have to explain everything, but at least..." He drew back his lips and lowered his tone. "... tell me."

She stopped momentarily but kept her back on him. "I did tell you, but I don't wanna dwell too much on it."

That was all she said. And this was the first time... she refused to face him directly.

***

A/N: Ahh writing and finishing a chapter surely makes me feel so much better and happy after such long days at work X_X Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed this chapter :) Have a great week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 70.6K 49
COMPLETED BUT EDITING ~~~~šŸŒø~~~~ "Look who joined us boys. If it isn't the GG herself." I rolled my eyes and taped my hands as one of the annoying j...
23.1K 2K 99
"Excuse me? What did you just say?" She fumed, knitting her brows in agitation. "You heard me," he replied in a deadpan manner. "You're a spoiled, s...
467K 12.7K 34
(Under Major Editing) Camila Diaz is a nerd. No need denying it. Everyone knows, Camila knows, her friends know, her school knows, hell even her mom...
129 14 5
(SYNOPSIS IS BEING REWRITTEN) Sophomore Ezra Miller, the Student Council President, who has since become popular among his peers, has a secret no one...