They Who Slaughtered Hope 🌈|...

Por CrystalCallistral

|π™΅πšŽπšŠπšπšžπš›πšŽπš 𝟷𝟷𝚑| There's a war in London. No one knows how it started, but those caught in the fray... MΓ‘s

Introduction
Chapter 00
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Character Art

Chapter 13

199 28 141
Por CrystalCallistral

┏━━━༻✿༺━━━┓

𝙻𝚎𝚗𝚗𝚘𝚡

┗━━━༻✿༺━━━┛

𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘕𝘰𝘰𝘯

Lennox had just about everything he needed. He had seen Renato head towards the vegetable stands, so he hoped he had picked some up. 

"Speak of the devil, and he shall appear." The florist spied the dark-haired guy a few metres or so away, with another strangely familiar woman with orange hair—at least partially.

She was dressed like no woman he had ever met; a dark fedora adorned her wavy tresses, and she wore a suit better than he could, with the sharp edges accentuating her shoulders and pear-shaped figure. Arm extended, she pointed a gun at Renato's head for a half-second before lowering it to his heart. The woman's lips were parted in shock, retorting to words in a hushed tone that Lennox couldn't hear.

He prowled across the linoleum, attempting to get within earshot without being shot. The raid was still occurring in the background, and he was willingly going towards someone with a gun poised and ready to fire.

"Why are you here? You're an investigator, Trix. I know it's your job to get in other people's business, but this is a bit much."

"I do wherever the hell I want, Ren. I'm not going to let a liar like you control me."

Ren appeared to be a nickname of his, but who was that Trix person? How did Renato know her? Lennox wondered what their relationship could be.

Renato lowered his voice. "I never lied to you, Trix."

"In my playbook, omitting the truth and lying are one and the same. You could have told me."

Lennox made an effort to sneak closer, to glean what he was supposed to have told her, but he slipped on a dislodged nail. He nudged it aside and clutched a deteriorating pillar for support.

Alas, the commotion drew upon the pair's attention, and Renato swore. "Sorry, Trixcia. I have other things to attend to than your flawed accusations. It was never a secret that I owed your family money, I just didn't tell you it was blood money," he said rather loudly. As if he intended it to be heard.

"Ren, what the hell are you talking about? I don't even know who my parents—"

"We'll settle this some other time." Renato side-eyed Lennox.

He took a fleeting glance at Renato. What was he hiding beneath that pretty face? And what plans could he have for him and his family? He felt curious about Renato... There was so much mystery surrounding him. But that didn't mean the florist couldn't make some guesses and draw hasty conclusions.

"If you have time to eavesdrop, you're done with your errands, right, flower boy?"

"Uh, yeah." He had caught him eavesdropping... Had he known all along? "Who was that woman, anyway?"

Renato didn't answer. Instead, he sauntered up to Lennox, linked his arm with his own, and together they left the Syndicate raid unscathed—but shaken at the core.

︵‿༻✿༺︵‿

"You're back! Lennox, put away the groceries and Renato, help me in the kitchen," Emily commanded, addressing each haggard figure in turn as she cut onions on the sparkling dark countertop. "I'm glad you're here, Renato. I've always wanted a competent hand in the kitchen," she gushed, sending a pointed glance at Lennox that screamed: 'Renato has my vote to stay'.

The florist rolled his eyes and changed the subject. "Has Chase come back yet?"

"He did, actually. He left before either of us were awake and went to a friend's house."

"Is that so..." Lennox murmured, unconvinced. He speculated that he had been out all night. The question was, where had he gone? "Well, I'm all finished here, I'll go and—"

"Set the table. Your dad's coming home for dinner, so don't half-ass it."

Lennox now understood why she had wanted to wait until supper to decide Renato's fate. The florist had managed to avoid him for so long, and now 'Daddy Dearest' had decided to casually show up for dinner? Ever since the Verita party—that he still knew nothing about—it felt like his father had been more active in the family's matters. And he didn't think that was a good sign.

He exhaled, getting out the ironed tablecloth and napkins from the closet. The silverware, glasses and plates were pulled from a light wooden cabinet with glass insets. Lennox set aside a broken, blood-streaked china plate that lingered atop the other unmarked plates. He despised the china dishes that had caused so much of his blood and tears to fall at his father's hands.

This blue and white plate in particular marked the last face-to-face encounter Lennox had with his dad. It was when he was seventeen, steadily eclipsing his last years of high school without a clear career path. It was also when Lennox first became a failure in his father's eyes. He had neglected to join Wade in a military career and refused to be an easily discarded toy for the Verita Aser. It was also the first—and last—time he stood up to his father. And he paid the price for his defiance, in blood and scars. In screams of anguish and searing, unforgettable pain to the head. But despite all that had happened, Lennox was forced to put the plate, blood and all, back into the cabinet as an ever-present reminder not to disobey one's parents.

Then Wade left. He became lost in his commitment to the Verita Aser. Lost in his desire for power, for fame, for titles and glory and recognition. And Lennox despised him for it. So today, he placed the centrepiece—a bouquet of 'fuck you' flowers—on the table, a silent protest to the injustice of his household.

And then he heard a jingle and the footsteps of his father. Long ago Lennox had learned to memorise the sound of steel-toed boots clomping on tile, the same noise that paralyzed him now. The inhospitable marble tile only reminded Lennox that this cold, dreary home was meant to house guests. Its purpose wasn't to be warm and welcoming. It never had done that for him, not in all the years he had lived there.

Not even when his father was gone.

Lennox's mother was the only one brave enough to greet Wade. "Wade, darling, you're home! I wasn't expecting you until later, what changed?"

Wade's imposing, tall physique shifted, his eyes glacial in both colour and demeanour. "Leave me be, woman. I have better things to do than play house and answer your silly questions. Mel wouldn't ask me such trivial things."

Emily was unfazed until he mentioned Mel, the woman whom Wade spent all his time with rather than being with who he considered to be a second-rate wife.

"If she's so great, then why don't you go have her cook dinner for you," she grumbled.

Lennox knew that those words would irk his father. He wasn't looking forward to the maelstrom that would surely follow. So, he piped in, "Hey, Mum, I think you should go and check on the food in the oven. Give Dad a minute to take off his hat." He could only hope his mother would take the hint.

"Ah, if it isn't our resident family failure," his father started, a sneer washing over his face. His eyes roved around the house, settling on Renato and lingering there. "And his company, I see. Lennox, a word, please?"

He had hoped to calm him down, but Lennox had only made things worse for himself.

His father led him into an alcove off the dining room, far from Renato's ears.

"Where was I? Ah, yes. Talking to my son who couldn't get into college or the military," Wade spat, "but had the time to have sex on the roof of my gala. Better yet, you had the gall to bring your lover home! If I were you, I'd be on my knees grovelling for forgiveness after all I have done for you! You may be an adult, however, you still live under this roof. So, unless you want to pack your gay arse up and leave, I don't want to see you step a single toe out of line. I am sick and bloody tired of you setting this family's reputation on fire, Lennox."

"I'm not gay," Lennox volleyed back in indignation. "Renato is just an... acquaintance, that's all. And last time I checked, you weren't even around enough to draw a line, let alone enforce it!"

Before Wade's veins could pop, Emily immersed herself in the fray. "Come now, this isn't what we should be doing when there's food to be eaten. To the table, you two."

Even though her tone was light, Lennox was certain she was as terrified as he was. And his father hadn't even heard a peep about Renato yet. That discussion might require a hospital visit.

His mother ushered them to the table—imported from India—with Wade seated at its head. Lennox found himself next to a chatty Renato.

"So, that's your dad, huh," he whispered. "Not sure what I expected, but it makes sense, given how dysfunctional your family is."

The florist gave Renato a pointed look. Since when were the two of them on good terms? "Well, he's cold. Demanding. Expects excellence and gets what he wants. That's my old man in a nutshell." He scanned Wade, who was calmly stabbing asparagus with his fork. He never knew how his father would react to something.

"Emily, you mentioned there was something you wished to discuss with me?" Wade prompted, all signs of the heated argument gone.

"You recall Renato, the nice guy who brought Lennox home? I thought, since he has nowhere else to go, that he could stay with us for some time."

His countenance twisted into one of disgust, looking up at Renato as if it was the first time he noticed his existence. "Blasphemous. This house doesn't need another feeble man in it. Two is more than enough."

Lennox's mother bristled. "I just think that this is the perfect opportunity for Lennox to interact with someone his age."

Was that her end game, her reasons for all of this gallantry? Her son didn't socialise to her satisfaction?

"He did that Tuesday. On a roof, remember?" his father pointed out through gritted teeth. Already his patience was running thin.

"Renato's family recently... perished. And his guardian sent him away right before your party." The crease in Emily's brow broadly showcased her concern.

He was surprised by how much information she had. What had Renato been telling his mother? This was the first time he had heard such rubbish tales.

"They probably got rid of him for a good reason. He'll just be a nuisance here."

"At least give him a chance, darling."

Wade's features hardened. "I don't give chances to dangerous strangers." He twisted to face Renato. "Can you convince me that you aren't a spy disguised as a weak, defenceless coward who won't fight for his country?"

"I can't exactly say that I'm not a spy, as I have no real way to prove it, no evidence to back my claim. But when the Syndicate kidnapped Lennox and me, I couldn't stand by and let us die there. There's nothing too weak or docile about that."

"Think what you like, but all you sissies are the same. You say you were kidnapped? How on earth did you escape," he said, gesturing to Renato's no-so muscular build, "with a body like that and an imbecile to look after? Not very plausible, in my opinion. So, if that's all your cover story has to offer—"

"Lennox did most of the work, actually. Out of the two of us, he's the resourceful one. It's just that... They caught us again. When we finally made it out, he was groggy and faded in and out the rest of the way. Dragging him all the way here was not enjoyable."

"Emily?"

"Lennox was out cold when they got back," she stuttered, clutching her silverware hard enough for her knuckles to turn white.

So he was just dead weight after his memories were messed with. Great, now his father had gained more slander fuel.

His father was quiet for a while, chewing his shepherd's pie as the gears in his mind turned and turned. "It's just as I thought. The people of this country are still weak, and my offspring are good-for-nothings. How do I know for a fact you are who you claim you are, wearing my son's clothes and possessing no form of identification?"

Renato opened his mouth to reply, but Wade held up his hand. "I'm going to stop you there. I've seen enough real men to know that if you can't prove to me that you are indeed of the male gender, then there's no point in continuing this conversation."

Lennox looked between the two. Renato was still dumbstruck, unable to plead his case without jeopardising his dignity. He didn't envy him, not at all. However, he wouldn't sit there and watch it unfold. He wasn't sure how much of his next statement was true, but he wouldn't allow there to be any more victims of his father's merciless questioning.

"I—I can vouch for Renato. I, uh, saw for myself." First, it was his ears that flared red, then it spread like wildfire across his face to the point that Lennox was positive that he was emitting steam from how unbearably warm he felt.

Oh, how he wished he could curl up and die from embarrassment.

"Admitting to the deed, I see. Which was it?" For the first time during the dinner, Wade gazed at his son. But still, his expression was left unchanged. If anything, it had deepened into a higher state of indifference.

"He's definitely a guy," Lennox squeaked.

Renato was combing his hair with his fingers but stopped midway after hearing his confession, their expression faltering and fading into nothingness. Lennox didn't have time to ponder it before his father spoke again.

"Interesting. It seems my son had grown a spine in my absence. You would risk punishment for this mouse? If that's how it is, I shall allow him to stay."

Miraculously, Renato had come out of Wade's questioning alive. Yet Lennox still felt unsettled.

It was all too easy. Did his father know something he didn't?

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

𝐆𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐠𝐨 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫? 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 --->

Seguir leyendo

TambiΓ©n te gustarΓ‘n

6K 308 45
Old feuds, new worlds, and a love that will last a lifetime... Ever since her dad mysteriously abandoned her family, life on the Clifton Estate hasn'...
83.8K 1.4K 44
*More of a romance and less of a Mafia Novel.* ❝Everything I touch just turns to Ash❞ ❝If so than I'll gladly burn for you❞ _________________________...
13.6K 1.3K 45
πŸ“–Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading listπŸ“– Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
46.8K 1.7K 34
UPDATES EVERY MONDAY! Vivienne Lee is pretty sure her next-door neighbor is a serial killer. What else could explain his creepily minimalistic apartm...