Child's Warmth (Uglydolls Lou...

By SnowlightHeart

"Holy doll, I screwed up..." More

"Not A Perfect Start"
"They've Gone Too Far"
"A Well-Planned Escape"
"A Big World Adventure/Disaster?"
"What A 'Darling' Child"
"School Had Just Begun"
"Muses and Chases"
"Longing Perspective"
"Perfection Drama"
"Real Amends"
"A Little Helping Hand"
"Couldn't Be Better Than This"
"Huge Unexpected Turn"
"Learning and Worth"
"Doll Caught"
"Secret"
"The Search"

"Collapsing Memories"

133 2 0
By SnowlightHeart

Lou was feeling his stomach knotting like something's wrong from the moment he enter the mouse hole. He wants to turn back with Nolan from the dark with him, but his eyes are fixed at the xylophone that were leading the way. As for Nolan, the only reason he came was because Lou insisted to help.

"So, how serious is this exactly?"

"Glad you asked, Lou. It has been a problem before you even arrived. Obstacles, coarses, machines, planning—Anything you can come up with can really reassured everyone safety. Before you, it was only Iris and the barbie dolls who keep the quarters safe, but not clean. But you on the hand, knows survival AND organizing more than anyone. We needed dolls like you to lead, Lou. But of course, we cannot always rely our whole selves to you all the time. So Riam and I was hoping if you co—"

"Hold on for a second. Fiona, can you... give me a minute..." he requested. Fiona just frowned before realizing why just by looking at the two dolls in front of her.

"Nolan, please let go. You're embarrassing me. Not just that, it's getting a little suffocating if keep making me feel like I'm carrying something heavy..." the blonde pleaded and complain at the same time. He already remove his cloak, but the doll with an 'UGLY' sign keep holding in his suit like a dog is gonna attack him any time soon

"No way I'm listening! He could fit in here!" And he is thinking about it.

"Nolan..." he called again, this time stricter as he watched the doll slightly shrieked like a mouse and immediately let his former leader go. Maybe even back a way bit when he heard him scolded. "S-Sorry! Sorry! It's just too dark!" He cried that made the blonde leader sigh and just made his crescent stone glow, lighting up the pathway and almost half of the place.

"Woah! Thanks, son! My light switch just won't glow..."

"You're actually dumb enough not to bring a flashlight in any case. And Nolan, you could have said something before we even move..." he scolded.

"I-I'm sorry, it's just that.... You told me to only speak if you asked s-something..." Lou got quiet after the doll said that. How bad did he change when Ox left... He was never like this before. He is seriously goin to have a serious discussion with himself. He just shook it off and keep walking. "Sorry about that. What were you saying?" He asked. But damn, he suddenly feels cold. He shivered, along with others as Riam apologized before Fiona could even continue.

"Sorry, gang. We've just reached the vent. The coldest part of the hall. So everyone better be careful and stick to the old dolls... One vent leads to the fire pit, that's why I asked the truck toys to cover it, so the ones who enter here won't fell. Please stay behind to ensure your safety"

Nolan immediately shot a glance from the xylophone toy. Did he just heard that right? As for Lou, his breathing was caught on his throat from a memory he doesn't wanna endure all over again and halt one his tracks.

"Come again?" He asked on repeat to be sure, but as Anastasia explains it, he is not liking it one bit. He was feeling the regret and trauma wanting to leave his body, but throwing up is not a good option. Calm down, Lou. You're fine... Nolan's with you and you are far away from the institute. You're gonna be alright... He thought as he starts walking again.

He slowly tries to breathe, but he couldn't, so he keeps trying.

They walked through the went as the path began to feel sticky and wet. Of course, Lou is definitely grossed by this, but also making this trip more traumatizing. Because of the heat, yet also the cold condition, it's only fair to smell here. For Nolan couldn't be more surprised, he is astounded that his leader was not even complaining.

But all Lou focused is his breathing going a little heavy as his eyes travell at every part of the vent. Till he finally heard the voice that made him halt.

"What are you doing?!"

His slowly lift his eyes upfront and saw Mandy. At first, he should be happy, but Mandy looked a little scared.

"You've already crushed their spirits!"

"Sure, Uglyville may be crushed, but we both know Moxy will never give up. Without her around, the rest of them would stay away forever..."

His own cold voice echoed around the vent before he cover his ears. There's no way this is happening... One reason he cannot even visit Uglyville was because of the pipe. He was slowly falling behind and Nolan was quick to noticed.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked.

"Y-Yeah..." When he received a mutter from the doll, he is almost convinced until he notice Lou slightly trembling. And it got worse when he saw a bright reddish orange path from the right corner.

The incinerator.

"The only reason I let you stay in Perfection was to keep up with appearances. Do you know how long I've worked for that adulation?!"

The voice starts to get louder before Nolan finally let him stop walking and asked him what is really wrong, but Lou can't hear him. The more he sees what he did wrong made him lost his balance, but he manage to lean himself in the vent wall. Because of the noise, the toys all stop and stare back at him. "Lou, honey, are you alright?" Odette asked.

"Those pretty dolls...They're mine! They hanged on my every word and if YOU THINK YOU'RE GONNA TAKE THAT HARD WORK AWAY FROM ME, you're as empty-headed as the rest of them!"

Seeing the scene replayed was enough to make him go crazy. He never told anyone about the pipe incident. Not even Nolan. If they find out, they will leave him too. Nolan immediately caught him falling, but he almost slipped from the vent floor. Riam told everyone to not panic and just stay away gave him air to breathe as his body starts to tremble and feel heavier unlike before. It was worsening.

"You are both UGLY. And ugly things belonged in RECYCLING..."

"Lou, you can't do this! Think about the dolls who have ruined you! Doing this is not any different! You've got to snapped out of it!" Mandy pleaded as she hold his wrist in worry.

"He didn't told us about this. You, Nolan, do something!" "What do you think he's doing?! Waltzing with him?!" Iris yelled at their stupidity as the dolls try to make Lou come back to his senses.

"I am doing what I was told by the factory and the one who created my pathetic purpose. Ox disrupt the system, but I'll fixed it for them. We'll see each other again soon. You'll be even brand new!"

Lou can only see his other self pushing Mandy and Moxy on the imaginary pipe hole, which is the vent pathway to the fire pit. Everything else was blurry. He tried to run towards it, but he clutched into his stomach instead to regain his composure. He is worrying everyone and that shows being imperfectly pathetic.

"Lou, snapped out of it!" Mandy's hand was slipping from his wrist, but he quickly clutched into hers back and grinned viciously, but there's a hind of invisible vulnerable and loss before it went back to murderous within a blink of an eye.

"Oh don't worry, my dear Mandy. Once you came back, you'll be PERFECT..." His eyes twitched like a messed up doll before he finally lets her go.

"LOU, NO!"

He clasped his one hand to his mouth when he felt sick from his throat as he hear the voices of the toys completely turned to ringing. Then soon, his vision went completely black. One thing he surely did not missed a doll walking up to him with those familiar hazel brown eyes.

"M-Mandy..." That's all he could manage to whisper before passing out and dropped his crescent stone as the toys rushed to help him. Nolan tried his best to hold him still despite his weak noodle arms rather than letting his friend fell from the wet slippery floor.

"LOU!"

———————————————————————————————————————

•Lou's POV•

I was falling. I couldn't move. It's like I was falling from an oblivion... I did fell on the floor, but it feels like it was invisible. I stood up and walk to where my legs could take me and look where everything is black. Where am I?

And then, one small light started glowing, making me slowly form a frown on my face. My confusion slowly made it brighter. It's either I get closer or I will never get out of these place. The darkness somehow reminded me my past. I feel lonely in here once again. Just then, a hand reach out from the light.

"My sweet darling, Lou... Come close and hold on tight to me. I will save you from here..."

It was a voice of a woman. The sweet honey tone almost convince me, but I hesitated. I heard from the other toys that someone would always reach out to you from somewhere bright like it was heaven's gate. But Cynthia said that memories flashes before your eyes before you die, but there seemed to be no memories circling anywhere—

I halted in my thoughts when the woman started to laugh at me, whole-heartedly. It's like she heard me. And it was the sweetest familiar laugh I have heard. It was not Mandy's, nor Tia's. But it's definitely not Moxy's. No, not her of all dolls.

"Who are you?" I asked as I started running towards it. It was the most innocent thing I could asked. I should know everything, but I don't remember this...

"Reach out for me, my dear..." Just by her gentleness and patience, I decided to trust her and did reach out. "You still haven't answered my question. Who are you?" I asked again. The light then slowly turn to a figure, but my vision blurred when it happened. What the heck?

"The time is not right for you to see me yet, my child..." That's all I heard as the bright grows brighter and closer. And the next thing I knew...

My eyes immediately shot open before I sit up in instinct, startling everyone. "Lou! You're awake!" Nolan cried, almost tearing up in relief before pulling me into a tight hug. "I-I'm not dead—" I winced as I started coughing! making him let go. I can still feel my stomach knotting, but it has died down safely. I then felt a hand comforting my head.

"You seem to have no problem in your temperature. You don't look ill either. Ears and mouth, all cleared. You're condition is as perfect as ever..."

It was a doll who looks like one of my doll type, freaking me out a little. For the love of—how many perfection dolls do I have to meet?! The female doll seemed to notice that and just chuckle. Don't laugh at my high presence, young lady!

"Don't worry, Lou. I'm one of the former dolls who graduated in your teaching before the others. Remember me?" She said with a sweet smile before I soon sighed in relief while holding my chest. I thought that I was done for.

"My my, you seemed to have done something bad if you reacted to one one your students that way. That's a new expression from your face. Especially coming from you, teach. Do you want to talk about it?" She added while fixing her coat, yet she still has one of my doll's uniform.

No thanks, dolly. Now I remember... "Your name is Shelly. You're a doctor/model" I guessed before clasping her hands together. "Splendid! You remembered{ I feel appreciated, teach! Thank you~ But as a doctor from the neighborhood and your doctor from Perfection, I wanted to asked if you ever have a fear of tight spaces before?" She questioned, making me frown a little.

"Since when did I? What makes you say that? What happened?" I asked first, looking at the toys for answers.

"While we are walking through the vent all the way here, you collapsed and it got us worried. So maybe we thought, you're not used to tight spaces. Iris, as our fastest runner, run all the way to the other house just to fetched and wake Dr. Shelly for us. I apologize for whatever you saw that must have given you a bad attack, Lou..." Riam explained and apologized sadly that got me a little flustered.

"What is there to a-apologize for?! Stop that, it's c-creepy!" I stuttered, insulting him in the process before regaining my composure. Gracious,, I should be grinning like an idiot for the apology. But Riam did nothing wrong, so why would I. "And no, I don't have fear of tight spaces. Although, I positively feel a little sick..." I added as Shelly write that down.

"Allergies?"

"Maybe. I'll tell in private"

"Got it, boss. Unprescripted pills?"

"None?" I answered, almost instantly before she sighed in relief. "Thank perfection you're still sane after teaching hundred thousands of dolls. The 'teacher' occupation model of our doll type just got published 2 weeks ago as an assistant to the main leader of perfection..." she explained, making me roll my eyes.

"I was banned from leading again by my own kind. Besides, who needs my stupid excuse of a teaching—No one would listen..." I slightly snapped, a little at those blasted goody-goody uglies.

"Ok, ok. Just don't get mad. I won't bring the topic. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated and have the rest you needed. Don't also let him forget about his allergy pills, Riam. Just so you remember me well, Lou, you can tell me what's bothering you. You can't hide your problems from anyone like the last the time. I'll be back to check on you tomorrow morning. It's 9:50 in the night..." she comforted as she puts a hand on my shoulder. I just sigh while holding my forehead as I sit up and let her leave once she's finish.

Stupid. Why did you have to faint like that?! You've handled a lot of seizures before—What's the harm of this one?! I cursed to myself mentally before Nolan hand me back my satchel. "Thanks, Nolan. Where were we?" I asked when I realized that we were somewhere familiar. Just bigger. It's like a shed, but with stairs and metal shelves. There's also a lot of box in here. Even at the tops shelves.

"This is place is what we called 'the basement'. This is where you stall the things you never need, but some of us use it instead of buying. It's called recycling!"

"No, it's called being 'cheap'..." I corrected, earning a disbelief scowl from some toys as I get off of the cotton bed. A few stumbles, but I'm fine. 'Recycling' has been haunting me for so long. I should try change the word sometimes. "Now, where were we... Ah! Yes, the toys' problem. You mention to me that there are situations when you don't need my rescue since I was basically saving all of your butts every single day. What do you mean by that in all means?" I repeated, putting my situation aside for now.

"We don't want to overwhelmed you after what happened and what Dr.Shelly said, so now I'm hesitating to even ask..."

"Riam, I am perfectly capable of taking care of my health issues. If it's about the toys, then my personal problems does not matter. So please save the worry, I don't need your pity..."

"It's not pitying, it's worrying. After what the doctor said, we need to be sure if you're up for the task. Dr.Shelly already mention about hydration, seizure and suffocation and we don't want to frustrate you. Especially since you're Cynthia's favorite..." Fiona reminded.

"What is the emergency anyway?" I asked, finally making them change responses away from myself again.

"We wanted to asked if you want to become a teacher here, not just for the dolls, but to different types of toys too. You did say that you missed teaching~" I looked a bit surprise at the offer. They wanted me to teach? I was basically hated and casted away by my own kind after everything I've done for them. Teaching them was already enough to make me nervous.

"I am okay with it, mentally and physically, but... it's been so long since I last taught a bunch of nuisa- I meant dolls before going to the Big World... I-I..." I paused before sighing. How can I tell them that my teaching methods are horrible. Criticizing, harsh obstacles, no breaks until you succeed—I can't do that. No, not again...

"We know it's difficult, but you're the only teacher/model here in the neighborhood. None of us could do teaching better than you do. And hey, you taught Iris how to read!" Iris who was reading the 'Forbidden City of Clouds', glare at them behind the book covers.

"It's not that I don't know how, I just hate reading!" She defended with an invisible flushed face, making me smirk a little. I guess that means thank you. But it disappeared in another word. "Of course he will teach!" My eyes widen when Nolan agreed for me.

"Nolan, what are you doing?!" I half-whispered while gritting my teeth anxiously, but he was wearing that stupid excited smile again.

"Don't worry, you have me to look after you. Just think! This could be your chance to help others and redeem those past mistakes. Sure there would be a few dolls who would recognize you, but it's your time to show them that your teachings are worth training for! Come on!" He insisted.

"No" I quickly flat out rejected immediately.

"Please!"

"No. Final"

"Pretty please~ For me?"

"No"

"For the dolls?!"

"Nola-"

"FOR THE CREATORS?!"

"Nolan—"

"FOR MANDY! DO IT FOR MANDY!" He used his trump card before I groan, making him celebrate and do a victory dance with his 'UGLY' sign. I just hold the bridge of my nose and just asked myself why I ended up into this situation.

Doll it—Why Mandy?! WHY?! Why do you affect me this badly?! I complain to myself in despair. I took a deep breathe before turning to Riam and Fiona with an annoyed smile of agreement.

"Ok, Nolan managed to convince me. But just so you know, I'm pretty strict and shows no mercy in any necessary means. I don't listen to complains from those who test my patience, I let them learn themselves. All I asked is... do I have your permission to train them with restrictions on require?"

"Riam already spoiled them to the core. And since I was part of the Daring Squad, if it could help them learn, you have my word, boss..." Iris stated while playing with her soccer ball. I just smirk before turning my head back at the xylophone toy. He just sigh and nod.

"Since you know what's best. Thank you, Lou. Half of the neighborhood are coming first thing in tomorrow, so tell us if you need anything. We can be your back-up"

"Oh don't bother. I can assure you they are all in good hands. But first, let me change the schedule. The day time will be for the kids time. And the night time will be school time. I'll use this chance to change my teaching method and improve all of these toys to become... better. Yes, better.", I changed the last part from 'perfect' to 'better'. Yeah, that sounds nicer. If I wanna change, might as well start with my use in words.

I started searching all these boxes and look for something useful for tomorrow night. The moment I would teach toys again. Would it be worth at the end? Would it be different? Fiona offered a helping hand, but I refused and was about to continue until we heard a loud cry from above.

That's when my toy instincts suddenly kicked in and rushed back upstairs. I am not even gonna bother using the vent. Heck no! I don't know why, but I just feel like the need to run immediately upstairs.

Nolan was dragged to follow as some toys insisted on staying.

"Where is he?!"

I pant and made it to where the screaming was coming from and see the kids with Jayden, searching something. "Calm down, little lamb. We'll find them tomorrow—"

"No, it has to be today! I swear I left him here in my bed! I need to find my doll or else I can't handle tomorrow's school without him!"

"Tia, it's just a doll. You're dad's the boss in each industry. He can asked one of his employees to make a replica for y-"

"No! No! NO! I don't want copies! They are gross! They are not as detailed and perfect as Lou! They are not talented as Lou! And especially, they cannot hold the qualities I WANT from a doll unlike Lou! Which in other words, NOT WORTHY OF MY TIME!" She shot at them in pissed as I watched her looked up and down from the shelves and under their beds.

I blink unconsciously and surprised. Although, I'm a little flustered, at the same time, upset and disappointed. That's all I could give her? What would happen if I never had any of those? That's when sudden determination grow in me. If that's she all notice, I would be glad enough to give her more. I'll be more than just a doll to her. But for now... It just looks like she really needs me... I thought when she started crying, I decided to move.

"Don't scream for the doll like he would pop out of nowhere!"

"Well Lou will! He always does that! I just know it!"

" Ugh, it's a doll! It's not alive! Gosh, Tia! Your imagination is going haywire..." Violet groaned with a 'so done' face. I just roll my eyes before Nolan finally arrived behind me.

"Come on, Lou! If it's about me teasing you on my small doll house as your bedroom, then I was just kidding! You know I always want you to sleep with me, right?!" My eyes just melted before I gave in a sigh. I decided to give them a hint and throw an oversized flashlight from the opened door towards our direction, catching Jayden's attention.

"Hmm?"

"Nolan, come here..." I instructed before we both sat down and went stuff as soon Jayden got out of the bedroom. "Lamb, we found it. Well, more like they found us..." he joked as he hand me first while he hold unto Nolan.

"Lou! Thank cosmos you're alright! I thought I lost you and Nolan, but he was with you all along!"

"Wow. He must be really a good friend  to you, Tia~" Maria beamed while clasping her hands together. Not really. I thought before I got squeeze into a tight, but warm hug. Huh... it's warm again. I rarely feel warm...

"Oh Lou, I don't know what I'll do if something happens to you. I mean, I'll be loss for sure—I already promise to take care of you! Us 'Darling' take promises very seriously, you know!" I know. I appreciated it, Cynthia...

"How would a prototype like you be accepted in love if all you do is hurt those toys who loved and admired you?!"

"You should just recycle yourself. Maybe the machine can give you a better attitude!"

"Your teaching style is pretty lame. I almost fell asleep, teach!"

"How come you always get the best suit?! I want one too! It's kinda annoying if you were always the one wearing it, don't you think?"

"You're concerts are nice and all, but I was wondering if you can... you know... stop? Music is just not your thing..."

"You actually think that you had a chance to find a kid after what you've done to us?! The kid will just run away from you!"

I just secretly hugged back while ignoring the glares from the other perfection dolls. I deserve this. I have no kid for 13 years and I finally got one. Just like what they dreamed of... What's the harm of me having one if they can?

"There. You've found him. Now can we sleep? I think you've wake your neighbors over a lost doll" Krissy suggested before Jayden tucked everyone to bed. "Now remember, kids... If you don't want to loose your doll, I suggest you let them all sleep next to you. Now go to your beds. You all have a big day tomorrow. Sleep well, 'kay?"

"Goodnight, Jayden!" All the kids responded before rushing to pull their covers over their heads as their oldest cousin close the door. Cynthia opened her nightlight and saw a crescent moon and stars with purple color. Just the way we like them.

My kid put me next to her until she felt like she forgot something. "I forgot my drawings at the table. Wait for me, okay? I'll be right back" she mention before rushing out as I wait, slowly noticing Nolan leaving the room.

"Nolan, where are you going?" I half-whispered before he sweats nervously. "W-Well... considering that it's night, all the pretty and ugly dolls are allowed to go and visit their homes and always return first thing in the morning. Do I have your permission?..." he mumbled before he hit a nerve on me, but I just glance away.

"Why are you asking ME of all people? Nolan, I am not your leader anymore. Ox is. Don't let me take over your life for I have no rights to even control it at the first place. GO. Your friends must be over the moon, dying to know all about your kid..." It came out a little harsh, surprising him a little as Fiona open the door for him to where the portal should be.

He was about to go, but I immediately called out for him. "Hey, Nolan..."

"Yeah? What is it, bro?"

I just gave in a sad smile and toss to him my lucky button.

"Say 'Hi' to Mandy for me. I miss her too..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.7K 1.4K 17
After the Ugly dolls arrived in the institute of perfection and changed everything, Life hasn't been the same for Lou, he was now hated, and lonely...
174K 2.4K 36
republished!
47.8K 1.6K 27
❝ 𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙜𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚, 𝙞'𝙫𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙙𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙢𝙮 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙙, 𝙩𝙧𝙮𝙣𝙖 𝙚𝙖𝙩 𝙢𝙚, 𝙩𝙧𝙮𝙣𝙖 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙪𝙣𝙩�...
120K 2.7K 25
𝗜𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵..... 𝗬/𝗻 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲𝘃𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟴𝘁𝗵 𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗽𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗰𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗺𝘆, 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗵�...