from Academy to Anbu by theri...

By Tanjastorm

read the story if you want to and not my original work. I just like the story and wanted an easier access to... More

chapter one
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
Chapter 41

chapter 24

105 6 0
By Tanjastorm

With Hikaru and Deidara…

The most dysfunctional duo of ANBU cursed as a pink barrier blocked their way. They had arrived moments before, only to be blocked by the rising dome.

"Who put this monstrosity up, un!" Deidara gripped as yet another clay bomb blew up harmlessly against the crystal barrier. Hikaru, Byakugan straining under his mask, was unusually serious.

"I would guess it's the woman currently fighting Mouse. Her kekkei genkai seems to let her manipulate crystals and harden them beyond their natural state. Not even my 'Vacuum Palm' makes a dent on the surface."

Deidara glanced at his partner in a bit of shock, not knowing how to react to a Hikaru that displayed his in all actuality genius intellect.

"…Well, what now, un?" Deidara managed after a moment. Deactivating his Byakugan, Hikaru grunts.

"…We can't use your higher level explosives, else they backfire shards of crystal shrapnel across the woods. What we need is something blunt to hit the barrier, causing a ripple effect, forcing it to fall down instead of out."

"Never fear, the valiant Jiraiya is here!" A booming and egotistical voice shouts, drawing the pair's attention. There, on the ground below, sat the toad sage atop a mountainous toad with a shield in all his glory.

With Naruto and Guren…

Another crystal dragon flung the youngest ANBU up into the sky. Naruto grunted as instead of sky, he collided with a crystalline barrier. Falling back down he made a hand sign, and two Biju augmented chains snaked around the dragon.

"Water style: hidden mist jutsu" Naruto said, creating a thick fog to cover the area.

"If only I hadn't followed Hikaru's plan," Naruto muttered while he made his way to the ground through the mist. "I could still be with my team, but nooooo, instead I'm fighting a psycho who has a fascination with razor sharp jutsu created crystals and can aim better than Hikaru! I don't even know when she had time to make this enclosure."

Shut your whining mouth and finish this. And the female mortal created our prison while you were charging that rasangan!

Naruto sweat dropped at the implied reprimand for not noticing and turned his attention back at Guren. Drawing another kunai, Naruto let a fourth tail of chakra erupt from his back side. By this point his muscles were burning and his stamina was running low.

'Kurama, any idea how to end this now?"

Her chakra is running low as well and that shoulder is festering. One more hit will end her but we have five minutes until my chakra tears your muscles apart.

Naruto nodded mentally and used his augmented limbs to jump high in the air, away from a mirror that appeared, just in time to avoid their attacks.

However, in the air another mirror materialized above the blonde, the real Guren appearing.

"Die, you brat" Guren breathed. "Crystal Style: Shuriken Wild Dance!" needles of crystals gathered around her and rocketed out at high speeds.

Naruto spun, dodging the majority, but one flew in his blind spot and embedded itself into his abdomen.

"Gyah!" Naruto screamed as pain engulfed him and Kurama's chakra receded, one of the seal's many safety measures kicking in. It was designed to give someone a means to subdue him if he lost control; too bad Orochimaru's henchwoman stumbled upon this advantage.

Falling, Naruto forced himself to stay conscience through the pain and yanked the shard out, his healing factor already beginning to heal the hole. He needed medical attention though, and soon. Managing to land upright behind a tree several meters from the real Guren, Naruto wrapped a bandage around his middle the way he learned, grateful for the field medic lessons he took.

"Come out, little fox; I want to rip your mask away and see the fear in your eyes when I drain your life from you." Guren taunted confidently from where she herself had landed, the mist adding an echo to her voice. Naruto kept his breathing steady, aware that she too was tired and at this point it was a battle of who could summon one last attack; he had to make this count.

The ANBU jumped up, crouching in a tree and watching Guren. Praying his plan worked, he shakily made the hand signs for an almost instant kill shot…if it hit.

"Wind style: Drilling air bullets!" Naruto summoned, before lurching as the ceiling came crashing down.

With Guren…

Guren mentally cursed herself for using as much chakra as she had; using the last drops of her energy for the mirrors and crystal shuriken wasn't smart. Even as she taunted the brat, Guren couldn't back it up with action; she was down to one last jutsu before she collapsed and escaping with the scroll was more important than the jinchuuriki. Guren could just slaughter him during the invasion.

Mind made up, she prepared a mirror to leave and grab the scroll from its hiding place, when she felt chakra gathering above her.

"Wind style: Drilling air bullets!" was called as the world shook, her crystal barrier crumbling from above.

Back outside the dome, moments earlier…

Hikaru cursed when he heard the voice of Jiraiya. Many people assumed Hikaru was a happy go lucky idiot, one who got along with everyone. While he wouldn't deny he enjoyed being light hearted, Hikaru was extremely protective of his team, not trusting though who hurt them. Jiraiya topped that list, even if he was trying to make up for it.

"Jiraiya…sama," The Hyuga greeted tersely, staring down from the bird Deidara had conjured up for them. "Do you have anything that can help?" Jiraiya ignored the tone and grinned.

"Why of course! Gamaken, let's show these brats how it's done."

"I will try my best, even if I am rather clumsy." Gamaken launched using his powerful legs and drew his weapons. "Exploding Sasumata attack".

"Toad oil bullets!" Jiraiya called simultaneously. Sasumata and oil crash into the crown of the barrier, a deafening explosion ringing out. Instantly the crystals shatter and fall, cascading in an unceremonious heap.

Hikaru and Deidara swoop down without a second thought while Gamaken poofs away, leaving a falling Jiraiya to wonder why nobody took a moment to praise his feats before following.

Back with Guren…

Guren closed her eyes at the sight of three enormous balls of chakra laced wind barrel towards her.

I guess this is the end, she thought, only to feel scales encircle her. Eyes peeking open the kunoichi spied her master, standing atop a snake summons, expression coy.

"My, my, my little Guren had too much fun. We'll talk about your punishment for almost failing the mission later but for now rest." Were the last words Guren heard before exhaustion overtook her.

With Naruto…

Crap! The snake-bastard! Naruto thought frantically as his attack was absorbed by the snake sanin's summons. The traitor had risen from the ground and protected his adversary. Now, as the snake like eyes bore into his masked ones, Naruto knew he was screwed. Being blown to the ground from the backlash, the young ANBU resembled a mouse about to be eaten.

Just then his team, his friends landed protectively in front of him. Naruto was conflicted about feeling relieved to see his sempai or terrified that they would just die along side him.

Hisoka appeared from a shadow as well, teeth bared and hackles raised to make him appear twice as massive as usual.

"Kukukuku, you certainly are an interesting one, Naruto; to think the failure Jinchuuriki is actually one of sensei's personal lap dogs. And to have two fools guard you along with a kitty; how…enigmatic. Kukuku, we'll meet again, but for now my fun must end. Don't die in the meantime, alright?" And with that, Orochimaru the sanin left in a plume of smoke just as Jiraiya and Angel appeared from opposite ends, Angel just missing ripping out Orochimaru's throat.

Naruto sighed in relief, feeling his eyes drooping to oblivion.

With the others…

A few tense moments pass after Orochimaru and Guren disappeared before Hikaru finally spoke.

"Well now that we can breathe again, time to heal you up, chibi-kohai!" Hikaru announced cheerfully, back to his old self.

Deidara sweat dropped at the sudden shift; he was quite liking the serious side of Hikaru. He went over to help the youngest member of their team when he realized a dried patch of blood soaked his middle and his head was rolled back.

"Uh, Hikaru? I think he's passed out, un." Hikaru jolted out of giving a victory sign at the fact they technically chased away a sanin.

"Crap! Hang on, I'm coming!" Hikaru said frantically, hands already glowing green.

Angel and Hisoka kept watch while their partner/ summoner was patched up, each vigilant for any threats lurking in the shadows. Jiraiya joined them moments later, looking awkward and worried.

"And once again my life is a failure, letting my teammate escape after his henchwoman injured my godson."

Neither feline said nothing, staring off into the darkness, their own thoughts plaguing them.

Several hours later, with Naruto…

Naruto blinked blearily at the sunlight in his eyes, wondering why it felt like Kurama was sitting on his chest.

Gaki, if I, the Great Kurama, was 'sitting on your chest' you'd be squished by my amazingness alone.

Kurama! You're back! Naruto smiled mentally, his mask unable to hide the obvious joy. Receding into his mindscape for a moment, he sat in front of the bars, giving his Biju friend a thumbs up.

Why are you smiling, you insolent worm? You let yourself get impaled in the center of the seal! If you didn't have amazing healing ability on your own you'd- and more importantly me- would be dead. At least I was able to heal you all the way. Technically you're fine now, but we could have died!

Yeah, but we lived, and that's what's important. Well…if the scroll wasn't taken that is. Naruto finished sheepishly. Kurama scoffed in reply.

While you slept I kept the connection to your ear open; the silly scroll was saved and that girl you dream about is resting her head on your arm.

Naruto instantly woke back up and looked down. Sure enough, Yakumo slept peacefully on his arm, snoring loudly. His eyes then focused downwards.

Angel Hisoka, Deidara, and Hikaru were sprawled across, Hikaru on his legs while the various felines lounged on his chest. Deidara had his arms wrapped around Hisoka's tail.

"Well this is awkward," He said weakly. "Guys? Hey! I need to breathe" Naruto protested, only he found himself being drowned out by Hikaru's and Yakumo's combined snoring.

"Ro was given the morning shift of 'babysitting' the Kurama heiress as we killed or captured three times as many prisoners as any other team, as well as prevented the scroll of seals from getting into Orochimaru's hands. That tiger even summoned your panther. They're all just resting. Good job." Tenzo spoke from a perch on the window, his uniform torn with grime from the night before. Yugao slept in a chair by the door, in the middle of cleaning her sword.

"Oh…" Naruto managed with a sweat drop. "But I let that Guren woman escape." He mumbled in shame a moment later at the memory.

"Only because Orochimaru interceded; learn to accept praise where it's due, Naruto. You did well."

Naruto nodded sheepishly. A yawn drew his attention back to Yakumo.

"Naruto! You're up." The brunette greeted happily, hair disheveled. Naruto chuckled and nodded.

"Hn, go away, roach-teme. For the last time I refuse to help you open a roach circus!" Deidara mumbled in his sleep. The three awake shared a quiet chuckle that made Naruto wince. Yakumo winced back in sympathy and began prying the felines off his chest.

Akira was easy, as she just snuggled into the crook of Naruto's underarm.

Angel was also easy, moving in a sleepy daze to crawl under Deidara's hair.

Hisoka…well the tiger just purred and refused to move.

"Hisoka…Hisoka wake up." Naruto pleaded. The large cat woke up and gave him a side eye glance. "Think you and Akira could go sleep somewhere else? I need my chest." Hisoka stared impassively for a moment, resembling a cow, before giving an affirmation. Picking up a still sleeping Akira, he left in a puff of smoke.

"Um…" Yakumo looked a bit embarrassed and held out a book. "This is for you." She dropped it in a heap on his lap before rambling. "The hospital was all out of flowers and I couldn't just visit without a gift even if you are all better for some reason, so here…" Naruto blinked and read the title.

"Anything Puny: impress your friends and enemies with witty puns straight from the Land of Fire." He looked up at his friend looking everywhere but him. "Thanks, Yakumo-chan! This will be great for my collection. Maybe I can use these to give a certain furry friend a sense of humor that doesn't revolve around impaling jokes!" Giving her an eye smile he opened it, missing the blush that slightly pinkened the girl's cheeks.

Oh, Kurama! Look what I have for you Naruto mentally sung.

In your darkest nightmares, mortal. The fox huffed. His human partner rolled his eyes and closed the book.

"Eh? Chibi-kohai, you're up?" The Hyuga on the squad lifted his head, drool flowing down. Naruto stoically ignored the droplets landing on his leg, thinking of all the payback he could give his sempai for it, starting with a rude awakening.

"Oh, sempai? I just remembered that the exterminator is planned to visit our floor today…" He trailed off as Hikaru had already jumped out the window screaming about his babies. Yakumo looked ready to die laughing.

"I-I didn't think you were serious, but that Hyuga is very…u-unique!" She managed between snorts.

"Hmm, I wonder when Wolf will realize the exterminator isn't scheduled for another week?" Dragon said dryly from above Naruto's head, appearing from nowhere, as usual. The enigmatic man chortled and shook his head. "No matter; Mouse, report. I want to know exactly what that kunoichi can do and how she hit you while you had four tails." Tenzo was already escorting Yakumo out with Yugao, who had woken when a crow landed on her head, pecking her.

Naruto took a deep breath and began, knowing it would be a long day.

"Yes, sir. It began when ANBU agent Wolf's plan resulted in me being catapulted away from the rest of Ro…"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 2.4K 61
Disclaimer: I DONT OWN NARUTO I also don't own the art, it belongs to its respectful owners. Enjoy the story, feel free to comment and vote.
363K 11.2K 44
Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, Shikamaru, and Gaara were 22 when they won the war. They were the only survivors out of the entire world. Guess it wasn't muc...
107K 3.9K 34
Kakashi x Reader You suddenly find yourself stuck in "Naruto's" world without knowing why, and were taken in by the Leaf village as one of the infamo...
73.6K 2K 62
(This story is getting edited!) I have the attention span of a small puppy. Pretty sure I would get a lot more reads if I put an actual description...