Honkai Impact 3rd: Don't Die...

By imaidot_

===== The story is In the Process of Being Rewritten/ Polished. 7/6/2022 9/25/2022. Starting to apply rewrit... More

Chapter 1: Duty
Chapter 2 Shield of the People
Chapter 3 Decision
Chapter 4 Escape
Chapter 5 Rest
Chapter 6 A Loss
Chapter 7 Trackers
Chapter 8 Arrogance
Chapter 9 A Contract
Chapter 10 Shifting Times
Chapter 11 Promises and Lies
Chapter 12 Contemplation
Chapter 13 Duality
Chapter 14 Pride
Chapter 15 Agendas
Chapter 16 Desires and Sins
Chapter 17 Movement
Chapter 18 The First Ripples
Chapter 19 The Fences
Chapter 20 Delusion
Chapter 21 Chance
Chapter 22 Saints
Chapter 23 Making A Difference
Chapter 24 Progress
Chapter 25 Together
Chapter 26 Preparations
Chapter 27 Advances
Chapter 28 Taken
Chapter 29 Trapped
Chapter 30 Institutions
Chapter 31 Night Raven
Chapter 32 For Kallen
Chapter 33 Dead Calm
Chapter 34 Priorities
Chapter 35 Hope
Chapter 36 Onset
Chapter 37 Premonitions
Chapter 38 Pins
Chapter 39 Reality Filled with Despair
Chapter 40 Shattered House
Chapter 41 Another Miracle
Chapter 42 Dilemma
Chapter 43 Miscommunication
Chapter 44 Foolishness
Chapter 45 A Frozen Heart
Chapter 46 Selfish Failure
Chapter 47 A Few Steps Closer
Chapter 48 Future
Chapter 49 Irony
Chapter 50 Scars
Chapter 51 Fate's Cruelty
Chapter 52 Delay
Chapter 53 Reflective Solitude
Chapter 54 Manipulation
Chapter 55 Trees and Roots
Chapter 56 Measure Up
Chapter 57 The Beginnings of An Exchange
Chapter 58 Vulcan
Chapter 59 When it Comes to Her
Chapter 61 What Fell From Grace
Chapter 62 The Cracks On The Shell
Chapter 63 What Belongs To Her
Chapter 64 Restless
Chapter 65 Weakness
Chapter 66 Distance
Chapter 67 All Mine
Chapter 68 Convalesce

Chapter 60 Only Human

296 17 4
By imaidot_

<Tunnels>

"It burns sisters! It burns!"

Blood splattered as the knife was ripped out of the attendant's eye. She still stood but her body spasmed periodically. Her hands clawed at her eye desperate to get rid of the source of her pain. The torch she held was quickly kicked away easing her pain for just a moment.

"Poison!"

They spoke no further, they didn't need to. It was clear that the poison was activated by heat. They had to be wary of the figure's hidden weapons. It was not the first time they had come across a combatant who specialized in the poison arts.

One attendant brought out a giant fan and blasted the space before her. In an instant crazed wind blew out all the torches in the area. She quickly sheathed her tool as another one of her allies threw luminescent stones across the space before them. Causing Otto to retreat.

If he walked over the lit path before him he would be falling into a death trap. His adversaries were crafty. They created a situation where his poison couldn't be activated. They've set up a protective formless wall that he could not pass through. Else he risks ambush. It was a situation where they could see him but he couldn't see them.

They probably assumed that he had a divine mark. The Emperor wouldn't send a normal human to fight against marked individuals. What else did they know? Though Otto had irreconcilable rage burning in his heart he wasn't stupid. Emotions are rarely aligned with reality. Even if one feels strongly about a matter they can't influence the matter without power. This was Otto's most straightforward fight against an enemy that could think.

"Experienced." An attendant whispered.

"Smart." Another nodded in agreement.

They were using this time to assess Otto's strength. They had to be careful, if he had knives laced with poison he might have some other form of poison. The fourth member still cried, leaning against the wall, the pain was unbearable even with her pain tolerance. She was their timer, if she fainted they had to either do one of two things. Take out the masked man or flee. They also had to take into account the possibility of backup. They were on the clock as much as the masked man was.

"Cover."

They tied bandanas around their faces, if the man wore a mask it was possible he had airborne poisons in his arsenal. The leader of the attendants drew out a weapon she acquired from the west. It was a short sword of excellent craftsmanship and glowed a light neon pink.

Otto's heart pounded as he made out the faint glow. Those weapons allowed normal soldiers to fight against Honkai. Sure they couldn't match the weakest Valkyrie but they could face off against a weak chariot-class beast and have a one percent chance of surviving and a 0.01 percent chance of killing it.

In the hands of Valkyries or in this case, marked individuals the effects were amplified. Kallen for example, with glaive Otto, had essentially bought for her, could cleave an Emperor Class beast in two with a single strike. Normal weapons couldn't accomplish such a thing.

The type of beasts the weapon was made from also affected the effects of the weapon. Though the process of forging the weapon didn't guarantee any unique attributes, there were still many weapons that gained them. About one in a thousand weapons could gain a unique set of benefits. Kallen's glaive sadly only had the added benefit of being immensely sharp and durable.

Of the abilities, the most common ones were light strength enhancing abilities or speed enhancing abilities. The rarer ones though arguably more useless gave element attributes to the sword. A flaming sword looked cool but ultimately didn't do much against Honkai beasts. The wearer would also have to be able to handle the heat.

Otto judged that the weapon he saw glowing faintly in the dark was such a weapon. It looked about the size of a short sword. This probably meant that it was made from the remains of Seraph Class beasts. Honkai beasts that could both shoot energy projectiles from afar and bash unfortunate humans with their speed.

'It's the worst match-up.' Otto thought. The series rarely had the ability to shoot projectiles but Otto would have preferred if the attendants had gotten their hands on that ability. It had a wind-up time. The other, more common ability it had was the ability to enhance the user's speed.

To Otto, it didn't matter how minuscule the buff was because he was already slower than them by a large margin. He really wished he had a stigmata of his own.

"He's not moving. How's Ying's condition?"

"I'm fine, if I was unmarked I would have died by now."

Despite her bravo, her words sounded weak, they echoed through pain that she could barely withstand. She was already sitting against the wall and breathing raggedly. The leader made a quick decision.

"Min bring her back."

The attendant with the giant fan strapped to her back immediately complied. Ying was immediately lifted over Min's shoulder with one hand. Her other hand procured a small fan to extinguish the torches in their way. It was a blessing that the tunnels under the river were so damp and cold.

Otto didn't see Min leave. He didn't know how many he was fighting. Was the poisoned one still up? A minute had passed, he was wasting precious time. Kallen was in danger, he glimpsed her struggle to break free, and her injuries were worse than they had thought.

Otto made his way to the edge of the luminescent stones that littered the floor. He collected a few and tossed them back at the attendants. This was a slow method but as long as he could keep up a menacing facade he could make progress. Sure enough, they retreated as he illuminated them with their own stones.

He fired another small knife toward them as he began to pick up his speed. A bit of impatience crept into his mind as he started to kick the stones instead of picking them up. His stride began to accelerate leaving the two remaining attendants unsure of his next move.

"He's not too fast. I'll jump him follow close behind, Xui." The leader commanded. Her short sword glowed more brightly as she accelerated. In an instant, she appeared before Otto. Poised to stab through his chest.

'He's slow.' She thought. 'Was it all an act? But for what? The tunnels are interconnected. Did they already map it out? Whatever, I'll kill him and catch up. I can't believe we were fooled by such a clown.'

Her colleague followed close behind with twin daggers ready. This man had really caused so much trouble despite being so weak. He hadn't even unclenched his fist that held a luminescent stone. She could see the man dodge to the side, at the very least he was able to predict her leader's trajectory but all the leader had to do was change her swing. It was over the man had made a mistake by impatiently kicking the light stones further. Had he stuck to his slow methodic stone-throwing method he would have bought an extra minute to live and think. Now his life was over.

Suddenly a flash of light followed by intense ringing blinded the pair. What had just happened? Their senses were overloaded by the sudden blinding light. The leader couldn't register any of her surroundings before she felt searing heat grace her forehead. She instinctively dodged to the side but it was too late. Her body fell to the floor with an apathetic thud.

Otto quickly aimed another shot at the other stunned attendant but unlike her leader, she hadn't fully committed to attack so she was able to retreat blindly. Otto gritted his teeth as he fired multiple rounds at her retreating figure. His hand was consumed by the flames of his Mimicry.

"Ack!" Success! Otto rushed forward. He struck the attendant's leg, impairing her movement. She was chicken on a tree stump, cleaver over her head. Otto resolved to kill her, he had to kill her. Even though she was weak and vulnerable. Because if he didn't kill her, she would prevent him from saving Kallen.

He aimed and fired just as another attendant rushed from the shadows to block his shot with her forearm. Caught off guard by her sudden appearance Otto was sent a few meters back. His body was shaken, she kicked him lightly yet he could barely stand.

"Ju's dead." The injured attendant gasped. The shot had pierced Yi's forearm and caused substantial damage. But luckily it wasn't fatal.

"Xui?! No that can't be." Her voice was shaking with disbelief and malice.

"He's a normal human but don't underestimate him."

With those last words, Xui passed out angering the Yi. The six were sisters not by blood but by spirit. They survived together in the desperate streets of a small city. As heaven would have it all of them were able to receive divine marks. But without a teacher, their strength would amount to nothing. That's when they met the auctioneer lady Gui Yan, she took them in and taught them how to fight. She gave them a home. They understood that the world was far from perfect and accepted it. As long as they were able to protect each other they would commit any crime.

Otto's weakness was laid out bare but he remained calm. He quickly unpinned a canister of tear gas as Yi began her vengeful onslaught. She avoided the blades he shot but was unable to protect herself completely from the gas. As result her impaired movements allowed Otto to survive. He jumped, rolled, and skirted away, the hits that grazed him did substantial damage that began to slow him down.

Otto fired more shots, he tried the same move that had taken down the two attendants. But Yi's guard was too strong and prepared. His hand burned as he released another flashbang, point-blank. He made modifications to his initial design specifically for that purpose otherwise he would have lost a few fingers pulling the stunt off. This was his counter for opponents who were able to close the distance on him.

Otto did his best to keep his cool but Yi didn't give him time to think. If Otto was a blood-lusted wolf she was a frenzied wyvern. A complete mismatch in the power scale. His mind searched for answers in sheer desperation.

'No, I was stupid. I was Rash. I should have thought of a better plan. I lost control and now I can't save her. No, I refuse to believe I can't save her. I have to save her, no matter the cost.'

Otto bought some time with another flashbang. He was down to just a few of them. Both of his gloves were burnt off and his hands were starting to take on a black hue. They became skeletal and demonic. They carried the touch of death. But that was all just appearance. Like a skeleton, he had no strength, no muscle, to set his will into motion.

There was only one option left. An option Otto never considered before or even reached out to. He sent his voice deep into his mind.

'I need another deal. Grant me more power. I'm about to die. You want my body, right? So do something.'

A lazy reply came through and as always the voice was not helpful.

'Why should I? The girl in front of you would make a better host.'

'She doesn't qualify.' Otto responded quickly while backpedaling trying to keep his distance from Yi.

The voice was silent for a moment and shocked by Otto's words. He wasn't supposed to know who was qualified to wield the voice's powers. Then again the qualifications almost guaranteed that the host would find out. But never so soon. Never after such light use and little attention.

'I see you're special. But don't fret. You don't need to make a deal with me at this time.'

"What?! No! Give me power. Kallen needs me to be strong." He screamed out loud. His desperation confused his assailant for a moment but she was able to capitalize on this moment of weakness. Her throat, nose, and eyes burned from the tear gas but they couldn't compare to the anger within her heart.

'Fuck!' Otto realized his mistake. Why was he so weak? He just wanted Kallen to be safe and happy. Why couldn't he have both rewards at the same time? Why did her safety oppose her happiness? If she didn't discover his evil, she would have lived in a lie that tore at her heart. But at least she was safe, unhappy but safe.

Otto watched indignantly as the fist that was sure to kill him encroached on his chest. It was his end that he would never accept. Not when Kallen still needed him. In that infinite second before the power of the fist reached him Otto did something he never had since before he met Kallen. He prayed in his heart for a higher power to save Kallen in his place.

His prayer was almost immediately answered as an old man materialized out of thin air and sent Yi crashing into the wall. An older woman swiftly followed up with a powerful chop to the neck knocking the attendant unconscious.

Cricket and Swan, the mismatch of personalities had come to his aid. The normally chirpy Cricket was far from happy to see him while the Swan was impassive. Otto didn't stick with the plan and he risked his life fighting with such meager strength.

"What were you thinking? Why didn't you wait for the signal? You were lucky we were nearby. What about that Lady Liling? Why isn't she with you?"

Cricket wore an angry expression, that also contained a bit of worry. As soldiers following orders and a plan was crucial to ensure the survival of the group.

"They tried to auction her," Otto said looking away. Stubbornly gritting his teeth. He collected himself for a moment before taking off in Kallen's direction.

"Hey! Stop. Lady Liling auctioned off? What does that mean?"

Cricket cut off Otto's path and in anger, Otto materialized his weapon. Faint gold illuminated their surroundings before suddenly retracting. He shouldn't fight against them. They were helping him.

"Enough Cricket. Lady Liling can handle herself. She probably insisted he go ahead. We've neutralized much of the thugs, the commotion has probably set the young Captain's men into motion. Let's hurry and finish the rest."

"But-"

"No buts Cricket. As for you," Swan's eyes rested on Otto for a moment. "You should head back. You're too weak and it's too dangerous for you here."

"No. I can't leave here."

Otto's eyes meet the tired old veteran. They were resolute and Swan knew that no convincing could turn him away. She had seen those eyes before. She couldn't refuse them because she understood them.

"Alright follow behind. Keep up if you can."

She motioned for Cricket to follow and they left Otto in the dust. He was tired and injured. He was sick and deprived. But he ran towards his saving grace. Towards the person, he wanted to give the world to. He was always moving forward for her and only her.

<Auctionhall>

Liling was tired but her job was nearing completion. The experts in the room were either knocked out or heavily injured save for the auctioneer and three others. Some of the attendees had already escaped but they were escaping in vain. They would be caught by the guards that waited for them at the various entrances.

'Steps of Taixun.'

Liling burst forth with galeforce. Her target was a master that had avoided fighting her since the beginning a clear sign he was weak. Sure enough, he went down from a single stroke of her blade. She sensed another strike coming from behind and backflipped over a sturdy old man with a giant hammer as his weapon.

Chains caught her when she landed but she broke free easily and retreated back onto the stage. The user of chains had been giving her a lot of trouble. A middle-aged woman by her looks, but probably much older due to her genetics, picked up the weapons of fallen masters and used them impeccably. She was a nuisance, that could easily be dealt with if not for the auctioneer's long sword.

That western weapon glowed neon at times unleashing power strikes and impenetrable shields. It was by no means a superior weapon even to her own. Liling wanted that weapon, but it seemed that it also gave the auctioneer the ability to match Liling to a certain degree. But now was the final act of the play. The auctioneer was running out of people to take her place.

Their morale was low but Liling was tired to let this drag on. It was her arrogance that caused this fight to last longer than it should have. But it wasn't as though she should just nuke the place with her half-baked Eminence. The people above could be caught in the crossfire. Liling focused on her Sword Heart once more. She released a gently rolling wave of mental strength that addled the few three opponents left. She held back as much as she could, her techniques were for fighting against Honkai, not people.

With their movement impaired Liling quickly finished off the remaining masters. The auctioneer was all that was left having avoided and blocked Liling's last set of strikes. Liling could sense that if she went further, the sword that she wished to obtain would sustain permanent damage. So she sheathed her own blade in a guise to get the auctioneer to lower her guard.

Liling didn't worry about the others except for maybe Otto. But he knew when to retreat when necessary. He knew when his strength wasn't enough. He was the brains of the operation, that's why he asked her for help because he wasn't strong.

"It's over. Hand over the sword."

"Oh, a disciple has gotten greedy. What would the master say?"

"My master wouldn't care at all. She holds very little care."

Liling replied her eyes fished for an opportunity. This blade would boost her strength, the auctioneer who stood should have stood no chance in front of her was able to last so long because of it.

"Then she wouldn't care if you died."

The auctioneer used the last of her energy to fire off a powerful sword strike that reached the end opposite end of the auction room. Liling easily dodged it and used that brief opening to knock The auctioneer out. She happily picked up the sword and admired its craftsmanship. She noticed the cracks repair themselves. Her mood brightened even more, what a impressive weapon. She started the day with sour mood that worsened after the auction but this acquisition cleared up her day. These people would be punished. The civilians would be saved. She would prove to her master and senior brother and sisters that she was capable and worthy of them.

She looked back at the final strike that created a huge gash in the floor splitting the terraced room in two. She followed its cracks to the main tunnel. Suddenly, her eyes widened and she rushed up the broken seats past the unconscious bodies of experts and attendees alike.

"Sile! Why are you here?"

The slash ended with him, the end carved a terrible wound across his chest. Liling activated her Sword Heart to influence Sile's body. The middle-aged fool was unconscious but alive. She slowed the bleeding and quickly carried him out the tunnel to find help. He had become a good friend in the past few days. At the very least she respected him. She exited the hall afraid of his predicament.

<Tunnels>

It had been some time now Kallen could no longer hear the screams but she trusted the cripple enough to not make a fuss. Perhaps it was pity that made her lower her guard but eventually just as he promised he unlocked Kallen's cage and her cuffs as well.

"I have an escape route I prepared for myself. In case they start to hurt me." Fan lied while leaning pathetically against his walking stick. He didn't have one in their last encounter but then again he was probably using the mop as a substitute.

"Thank you. After you escape go the Guard's office. Tell the Sile sent you."

"Wait you're not coming with me? Who's going to protect me? You promised."

Kallen felt uneasy but the protection she offered wasn't personal. He also said he had his own way to escape. What's more, how would the thugs know he betrayed them? Unless they found Kallen released by his side how would they know he stole the keys?

"No, I have to go. I said I'll get you out of here but you just said you could do it yourself."

Fan cursed in his mind. 'She's not as dumb as I thought.'

"But I'm scared." Fan stammered faking a mental breakdown. But it must have been too fake because Kallen rose him to his feet and assured him that everything would be alright.

Fan could see he wasn't convincing her with his poor acting skills. Instead he had to find a compromise. The prize before him could secure him a position in any family. Give him some time to lay low and start a new one.

"Just follow your escape route. You'll be fine."

With that Kallen dashed off into towards Otto's direction. He had to be safe. She had to make it on time. All those attendants carried stigmata, he was hopelessly outmatched. Fan on the other hand thought for a moment. He took notice of her speed. How strong was she? Whatever the case there was no way she could match the six attendants right? They probably finished the job though there was some distress. Maybe those screams came from the Emperor's agent.

After a moment of thought, Fan broke his cripple stride and chased after Kallen. He would not let his ticket out of trouble and jail escape from his clutches. He regretted releasing her, from her language he should have known she had somewhere she wanted to go. Did she know the assailant? What was her connection to the Emperor?

He planned to bring her to his safe room, some of his top underlings were there. They could subdue her without the Gui family's help. That way he had more freedom and agency to work for his dream.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 53.6K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.2M 53.9K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
3.1K 128 21
"In a world ful of amazing People, you being the most Normal makes you the most Amazing." A Savior and a Sovereign, though their roles are different...
77.6K 3.4K 101
Ash Ketchum has finally won a Pokemon League, became a Generalist Master, defeated the Elite Four... but he lost against the Champion of Sinnoh. Howe...