Adrenaline

By smidorii

Even when the lights go out and a thousand miles separate them, Stevie and Brendon always find a way back to... More

⇢ prelude
⇢ character aesthetics & playlist
01 | lights out
02 | two for the show
03 | sophomore slump
04 | fight or flight
05 | in a land down under pt. i
05 | in a land down under pt. ii
06 | windsor
07 | australian grand prix pt. i
07 | australian grand prix pt. ii
08 | men don't get in for free
09 | what happens in vegas pt. i
09 | what happens in vegas pt. ii
10 | expectation vs reality
11 | getaway
12 | catch me if you can
13 | miss cellophane
14 | city of angels
15 | sweet dreams, stevie
16 | baja be thy blast
17 | time to pretend
18 | breakfast at moxie's
19 | empire state of mind pt. i
19 | empire state of mind pt. ii
20 | last night in new york
21 | escape velocity
22 | legacy
23 | very important person
24 | it was a bad time
25 | the L
26 | a mother's daughter
27 | joni
28 | late night
29 | streets of monaco pt. i
29 | streets of monaco pt. ii
30 | cardiac arrest
31 | it started out with a kiss
32 | escape velocity (reprise) pt. i
32 | escape velocity (reprise) pt. ii
33 | new perspectives
34 | moments and tides pt. i
34 | moments and tides pt ii
35 | winners & losers
36 | a night with MARS pt. i
36 | a night with MARS pt. ii
37 | jun
38 | hawai'i
39 | i have my best nights without you
40 | homecoming
41 | all the magic we gave off
42 | brendon
43 | all the stages and the stars
44 | championship leader
45 | brasilian grand prix pt. i
45 | brasilian grand prix pt. ii
46 | before the storm
47 | the most wonderful time of the year
48 | grammys pt. ii
48 | grammys pt. iii
49 | the show goes on pt. i
49 | the show goes on pt. ii
50 | and away they run
⇢ acknowledgments
⇢ MARS discography & accolades
bonus chapter 01 | the very first night
bonus chapter 02 | lavender haze
bonus chapter 03 | end game pt. i
bonus chapter 03 | end game pt. ii

48 | grammys pt. i

1.2K 92 180
By smidorii

Planning to sleep on the red carpet?" Brendon jokes, taking in my pajamas.

I force myself to tear my eyes away from his suit. "Last minute alterations. Should be ready in twenty minutes."

Brendon glances at his watch. "Cutting it a little close, are we? What if Maverick is ready before you?"

"We told him to be ready an hour before we needed him to."

"Did it work?"

"Yet to be seen. But we have Everleigh on our side so it's about as likely as we'll ever get from him. Assuming he doesn't rip her dress off her."

"If it's not him, it's you."

I laugh and pinch his cheek. Even now, if I smile at him long enough, I'm graced with the faintest hint of a blush. It's enough that I want to spend my entire life smiling at him just to see it. "We love a supportive boyfriend."

"I won't be the one to get between a Stevie and Everleigh romance. The fans will come for me."

"Everleigh might do the job by herself."

"Too bad I won the last Capri Sun challenge."

"She's winning the next one, though."

Brendon swings his arm around my shoulder and pushes me into the room. "I'm counting on it."

Before we walk to where the rest of the crew can see us, I tug him into the front bathroom so we're somewhere private, but I keep the door open so I don't get too ahead of myself here. Brendon is at the mercy of the kisses I pepper all around his face before landing on his lips, curved into an amused smile.

"I'm trying not to mess up your makeup or hair," he mumbles against my lips. His hands curve around my waist and grip me like he's as tempted to throw all fucks out the window. I take advantage of his surrender and pull him closer to me. Even if it leaves us in wreckage, I'll take him crashing into me any day. "Stevie."

"Brendon," I reply. My fingers trail down to his chest.

With considerable strength, he forces us apart and all of the air rushes back to me, instantly cooling me off, even though I have no desire to douse these flames. Incinerate me for all I care. I'll double Monroe's pay for touch-ups.

I whimper at the loss of his touch, but Brendon stays strong and clenches his hands around my wrists to hold them back. "I know what you're going to say but consider this—"

"Stevie."

"—I'm horny. We can be quiet."

"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're not quiet."

"But you like that."

He shakes his head with a laugh. "Not when they're right outside."

"I don't know, that time in the car when we were in the garage and they were right in the living room was—"

Brendon silences me with a kiss. A crumb when the entire meal is standing in front of me, just far enough out of reach that I can't indulge.

God, I need help.

After a couple more minutes, Brendon successfully drags me into the room with the rest of the crew who are in various stages of getting ready. Rami and Jun are completely done, Lauren is not far behind them, and Seira is still sitting in a chair in front of her makeup artist. She'll likely be the last one, even with my detour to Maverick and Everleigh's room.

"Anyone want to see the bozo and his hot girlfriend? We can try and steal some booze from their mini bar."

Those who are ready agree since they're just sitting around anyway. I check on Kawehi, the Hawaiian designer that I worked with for my gown, but she brushes me off, telling me to go relax while she works on the finishing touches. The dress needed to be taken in a little at the waist.

[ STEVIE ]

yall good? we want to come down and see you. also, i have a gift bag of toys for my stepson.

[ EVERLEIGH ]

you can come down and kick Kingston out and see the dog yourself!!

[ STEVIE ]

DEWEY IS THERE???????????

I'm already reaching for the dog's gift bag before her reply comes through, ignoring Lauren's yelp as I rush past her to grab it.

[ EVERLEIGH ]

he is indeed and he is being a little monster just like his father

if Kingston didn't tell you he was here he's more of a little shit than i thought

[ STEVIE ]

he did no such thing and i will slap the shit out of him again

tell dewey that stepmommy is coming

[ EVERLEIGH ]

door is propped open, your stepson is locked in our bedroom. please let yourself in, room 134.

Kingston's room key is also on the dresser if you want to grab that too and you can come visit Dewey whenever you want. <3

By the time the last text comes in, I'm already dragging a bunch of us down to their room, having left when she first mentions Dewey is with them, and we knock at the door within a few seconds. I'm the only one still in my pajamas while Brendon, Jun, and Rami are all wearing their outfits (sans jackets and coats), but I at least have my hair and makeup done. Getting myself into my dress will require some assistance but should be otherwise painless.

"The best stepmom in the entire world is here!" I yell as I walk through the front door. "Where is my baby?"

Everleigh points at the closed door. "Bedroom. All yours. He might bark but it's because he'll get excited. Just make sure that the door's closed."

I don't bother saying hello to Maverick who's, surprisingly, dressed for the most part. More than I am, but that's only because we told him to be ready an hour before our actual call time. A necessary safety net.

The door closes behind me and I let out a squeal. Dewey bounces over to me excitedly, and I kneel to catch him in my arms, not shying away from the kisses he showers me with, though I do my best to keep my makeup untouched. Can't go around ruining Monroe's hard work.

"Hi, honey! You're the cutest ever. I love you so much."

Rami enters the room shortly after. He's only here to see the dog, too. "Oh, he is cute."

"Isn't he?" I reach into the gift bag I had packed for Everleigh to take back with her. Being able to put some of this on him makes me even happier. "Do you mind holding him for a second?"

Rami doesn't need to be asked twice. Running the risk of needing an entire lint roller when we go back upstairs, he lifts Dewey into the air and lets his face get slobbered over while I rifle through all of the outfits and toys I've brought him. One set in particular sticks out to me, and I gleefully pull it out of the bag, ripping the tags off in the process.

"Okay, here. Hold him up, please." Rami does as he's asked while I shimmy over a bi-colored sweater over his body. "I'm going to die. Look at how cute he is already."

"It's Maverick's son, alright."

"And my stepson."

"Of course."

From outside, Maverick's voice trails into the room. "Do you think Stevie would let me have my therapy dog back yet—"

"Absolutely not!" I yell.

"I will take your stepmum privileges away—"

Everleigh mumbles something I can't understand.

"Over my and Everleigh's dead bodies will you do that, bitch." After placing the last two items on Dewey, I add, "Okay, fine! Wait a sec, I'm almost done putting this on."

Once I've got him situated and looking as if he walked right out of a pride magazine photoshoot, Rami hands him to me. I open the door and keep the two of us behind to avoid unleashing fur on everyone in their red carpet outfits.

"How does he look?"

Everleigh starts laughing. "He looks stunning."

"You just met him—" Maverick groans.

"Um, excuse you. We've Facetimed multiple times now."

"You were Facetiming me."

Ignoring him, I continue. "And I'm his stepmom. This is reasonable behavior."

"I-okay." Maverick looks ready to protest but decides against it. "For you? Yup. Thank you."

"I think he looks red carpet-worthy," Everleigh notes.

"Listen, if you want to bring him, I'm sure Marty can make some calls—"

Although Dewey would steal all of the spotlights, and rightly so, Maverick isn't ready to take a lint roller to the entire Grammys red carpet. Dewey will have to watch his family from afar. "He's staying here but I was going to put the TV on for him so he could watch."

I glance down at Dewey with a smile and scratch behind his ears. "You can watch mum and stepmum on the red carpet, honey!"

There is something to be said about the way Dewey and I look at each other. A little bit like I'm seeing sunshine for the first time.

"Is it weird to be jealous of a dog—" Brendon starts.

"I don't think so—" Maverick replies.

Jun clears his throat and I look up at him. "Stev, put him down."

"Why?"

"You're supposed to be hanging out with your friends."

"But he's family—" I give Dewey one last look before sighing. "Fine." With sluggish effort, I place Dewey back in his room and damn near cry when I have to close the door while watching his still wagging tail.

"Proud of you," Brendon says.

"Hardest goodbye of my life."

Everleigh is sitting on the couch now that she's not at risk of unintentionally wearing a fur coat. "I might have an extra key to our flat if you find yourself in London again."

Maverick's eyes go wide. "You took almost six months to get me one and I live there—"

"Thank you, my love." I smile at her. "I will visit as soon as possible." I turn to the side. "Mav, when are you out of town again?"

"I'm canceling every flight as we speak."

"Think we should take this for a house vote." I cross my arms. "Everleigh, should I come visit and Maverick get lost?"

"Um..."

His eyes bug out at her lack of immediate protest. "Um?"

"I'll take that as a yes. Dewey"

He lets out a bark. Best friends already.

"I have the votes. Sucker."

"Fine," Maverick grumbles. "I'll sleep on Roman's couch. I'll be close enough, maybe you'll try to pity me."

"That would just mean you're stuck babysitting the crotch goblin," Everleigh replies.

I roll my eyes. "He thought he did something with that."

Maverick looks ready to retract his submission to the Grammys so he doesn't have to deal with us for the rest of the night. I don't blame him, but I'm not sure why he would expect anything else. He's lucky we're not drunk already. "...I'm moving back to Windsor, you fucking turnips."

"We'll drive you to the airport so you're on time for your flight," Everleigh says.

"Don't want the jicama to be late for his flight again," I tease.

"Think I just heard Jenny scream upstairs," Jun comments, making note of the dreaded vegetable insults.

Everleigh looks at me again. "I'll drive if you hold onto his passport so he doesn't leave it on the kitchen counter."

Once the flood gates are open, they're hard to close. This isn't the first time they've had this conversation, I'm sure.

"You said you'd deal with passports," Maverick groans.

"That doesn't mean leave it."

I sneak a glance at the closed door again and wonder how likely a successful getaway with Dewey would be. Neither of them is looking at me.

"I brought the lint roller."

This is enough to get Rami's attention. "Mav, can I ask a serious question?"

"Yes."

"Did you know what a lint roller was before you met Leigh?"

It's a reasonable question if you ask me, but Maverick is not amused. "Rami, I thought you were nice."

"Stevie did have to tell you to be ready an hour before our actual call time and you're not fully dressed yet so—"

My eyes narrow at him. "Now that he mentions is—"

"I had to wake up to seven alarms."

"Not a flex, babes," Everleigh remarks.

"I just need to put my jacket on—"

"Pants are looking a little..." I glance down, "hairy."

"That's why there's a lint rolle—" Maverick stares back at me accusingly. "Stevie, you're not even dressed."

"That's 'cause I don't need seven alarms to wake up and get ready in time." Even Everleigh, who I'm not sure has even worn a dress before in her life, is completely ready. Not that she needs to do much. Could wear a trash bag and still end up on all of the best-dressed lists. "By the way, you look beautiful, my god."

Bless her heart when she replies so do you, babes, because I'm still wearing my pajamas.

"Very Escape Velocity of you two," Brendon comments, looking back and forth between the couple. "It's great."

"I love the gays," Jun says. A ringing endorsement. "And...friends," he adds after looking at Everleigh.

Maverick looks about ready to book a separate room at this point. "So, I can go back to bed, right? You can take Everleigh as your date—"

"Honestly, I thought you'd never ask, thank you—"

"Stevie," Brendon warns with a laugh.

"Babe, I have two arms. It's okay."

Rami looks around the room. "Is this always what it's like when you're all in a room together?"

"....Maybe."

Once again, the spoon proves he's never winning an Oscar with the way he replies, "I've never argued with Stevie in my life, I don't know what you're talking about. This is rare."

Jun snorts. "Don't you both fight over who gets to sing Elphaba's part whenever you're drunk?"

"Um. It's usually rock, paper, scissors, and I usually lose so that's beside the point."

I nod. It's true.

Jun doesn't buy it. "I distinctly remember you wrestling on the ground one time."

Listen, I'm not one to jump onto the mic when we're out at a karaoke bar for obvious reasons, but if we're in a private room or at someone's house, and there's enough booze, Maverick and I are known for belting out a show tune or two. And yes, there have been a few times where we've fought over who gets to sing what part, but it's Maverick who should know better. I will always beat him in a wrestling match.

"Who won?" Brendon asks.

"Me. Obviously."

Maverick refrains from rolling his eyes. "Did you even have to ask?"

If I wanted to jump his bones earlier, it doesn't compare to what I want to do when Brendon proudly replies, "I wanted her to say it out loud."

"I'm in love."

"Literally everyone knew that before you did, Stevie."

"Just like your girlfriend and dog are in love with me too."

"I dunno, she told me she loved me at your concert—"

"Stop bringing that up—" Everleigh snaps.

"She regularly tells me she likes my song better—"

Jun takes a sip of Capri Sun. "That's hella cute, though."

"That I like Stevie's songs better? I think so too."

"Everleigh." Maybe Maverick has aged five years since we arrived at their hotel room. Maybe not.

I laugh and look at her. "I hope Twitter gives us a ship name."

"Better trend worldwide."

"Only the best for us."

"I'm hearing I'm stealing my brother-in-law's husband to be my date—" Maverick starts.

"Stevie said she has two arms. Guess you're going with the dog," Everleigh replies. My knight in shining armor.

For a second, he looks as if he considers it. "His outfit does match mine..."

"The bi's are infiltrating the Grammys," Jun says.

"As we should," I concur.

"How is my husband doing?" Brendon asks, turning to Everleigh.

"He's still annoying so any time you want to take him to Melbourne and leave him there would be wonderful."

"He's fine," Maverick exhales.

As far as Everleigh is concerned, that's a little debatable. I've known since we first heard of him that he's a fan of F1 and Brendon especially, but nothing prepared me for the series of Instagram stories Brendon showed me—honestly a little amused. It cheered him up to watch after losing—of Roman's reaction to the Brasilian Grand Prix. And it happened not long after his wedding. Talk about emotional whiplash.

"Cried about Brasil, though," Everleigh says, confirming my suspicions. "Sorry. I heard you raced well. And deserved better. And there was something about tyers but he was drunk and not making any sense."

Brendon laughs. "Yeah, that about sums it up. And thanks. Tell him I'll try and win it next year just for him."

"He'll be honored."

"I won't be." I pout.

Rami stares at me. "Have you not been flirting with Everleigh this entire time—"

"That is my right."

"Sorry, but he is my husband," Brendon apologizes.

"He did tell my sister you were everything to him," Everleigh supplies.

Is this how Brendon feels every time I jokingly flirt with Everleigh? Maybe I need to tone it down. "If they meet and he tries anything, I'm smacking him with a tortilla. Lovingly. I've heard he's really funny."

Everleigh is quick to return. "It doesn't have to be lovingly when he literally named his daughter after Bash—"

"You say that as if you two don't get drunk like two old assholes every single holiday," Maverick interjects.

"That doesn't mean I don't hate him. Stevie can slap him as hard as she wants with a tortilla—" She looks at me. "As long as I get to film it."

Don't need to ask me twice. "Down. I'll go easy on him if he invites me to get drunk too. As long as it's not Fireball or something equally as vile."

The look on Everleigh's face suggests that's exactly what he would get, and I try to suppress the memories of naive, underaged Stevie drinking Fireball for the first and only time. One of the worst nights of my life.

"....I'll buy the liquor when you're over. He's like a seventeen-year-old boy with the shit he picks up. Or he can and you can slap him harder because he loves Fireball."

"Roman—I'm so disappointed." I flash Brendon a frown. "Please teach your husband better."

"We've literally never met but I'll do my best."

"He'd probably listen to you more than anyone else," Maverick says, "for whatever that's worth."

"I would hope so. We respect the sanctity of our marriage."

"Damn near died at the football pitch when you followed him on Instagram," Everleigh adds, the embarrassment still flush against her cheeks.

"I heard you bought him one of those...board thingies," I say.

The lady doth protest too much. Even though she's practically rolling her eyes every other sentence, it's clear Everleigh loves her brother-in-law very much. Despite the lingering threat of his attempts at stealing Brendon away from me, I know we'll have a fun time once we meet in person.

"That's so I didn't have to buy beer at the stadium because it's expensive. It was nothing."

"Not because you like him or anything," Maverick says casually.

"Nope. I hate him. He loves Bash more anyway. It doesn't matter what we do, we're not worthy."

I turn to him. "Mav, they're besties, aren't they?"

The goofiest grin appears on his face. "He did take the photo that you screamed at. Of the jerseys. So....maybe."

"Iconic."

"And he was the driver for Mav's graduation surprise, right?"

"I'd say that was punishment for Kingston. Stuck in the car with him for an hour," Everleigh answers.

"Yes, he drove. Thank you, Roman. Crikey."

Everleigh bites her lip. "Did you just say crikey?"

Maverick nearly throws his hands in the air. "'I'm literally going to go back to bed."

I don't bother hiding my laugh. Shouldn't have said crikey, mate.

She turns back to us, giving her boyfriend a break. "Thank you for the flowers and the Capri Sun. I cried. Hard."

"We cried hearing your speech while staring at your dad's face." Troy Meadowlark, I've heard, is a great many good things, but he's not winning any Oscars for cinematography any time soon. The only view he managed to catch of Everleigh's valedictorian speech was his forehead, but he still deserves points for not covering the mic with his finger.

"Think Troy should film our next music video," Jun jokes.

"Or maybe we'll do a short film and he can do that instead."

He nods. "Troy Meadowlark is coming for his Academy Award."

"Does he even know what the Academy Awards are?" Maverick asks.

"I haven't the faintest idea." Everleigh laughs. "He might not know how to add a phone contact, but I"m sure he'd happily film his forehead for your short film."

"MARS would be honored to have his forehead."

"You can pitch it to him when you move into the flat and kick Kingston out. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to meet his daughter-in-law."

"Great plan," I agree.

Brendon leans back against the wall. "Guess Mav and I will just find something else to do together." Quietly, he pulls me closer to him, hooking his pinky around mine.

"Anywhere you've desperately wanted to vacation?" Maverick asks.

Brendon thinks it over. "Haven't gone to Scotland yet."

"There we go. Guess we're going to Edinburgh together."

Everleigh narrows her eyes. "You're a shit."

"Wait, I want to go to Edinburgh—"

"Rejected boyfriends only," Brendon says. With a smile. And a tug closer to him. Bastard.

"Exactly," Maverick boasts. "If you two kidnap Lauren too, Jun can come with us. Rami is honorarily invited."

"I'll just text Lauren and tell her I'm going, she'll be fine."

"Yeah." Rami scoffs. "'Cause Lauren is normal."

"Rami—" I gasp.

He kicks off from his spot and gestures at the front door. "Hate to break up this lovefest but Jenny has just texted me in all caps so we should go back up and finish getting ready."

"Yeah," Maverick says a little too smugly for someone who still needs to run a lint roller over his pants. "Slowpokes. Tsk, tsk."

The entire room tells him to shut up.

"Quick question, Mav." I cross my arms. "Do you know where your passport is at this exact moment?"

He answers a little too quickly and shakily. "It's...It's with Everleigh. So there."

"Are you sure about that?"

She looks about ten shades of exhausted. "I literally gave it to you when we landed at LAX. You needed it to get through security."

"It's in this room," he answers—again, a little too quickly.

"Show it to me before we leave this room and I'll get your name tattoed on my arm." The four of us make for the door by the time I stop talking.

"It's—" Even without looking at him, I can see the panic. "—right there. See? Knew it."

A glance only barely a second long is all I need. "Is your name Jesus? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that says Holy Bible."

"It's my birth name."

"Nice try, Kingston. See you at the car."

"Hope you don't need your passport to get in," Everleigh says.

He's on the verge of tears at this point. "Come on."

"It's in the loo, by the way. I don't know why you left it in there. But that's where it is."

The rest of us are already out the door at this point, but Rami hangs back to close it behind us. "Don't forget to use your lint roller, Mav."

"Before or after I go back to sleep?"

...

My dress is a red bodice wrapped in metallic pleated silk that drapes into a train, and it shines like a sea of rubies. Every inch of fabric hugs my curves like a second skin, and my fingers drag across my waist like they're skipping across water. Glancing down at a small pattern hidden between the waves of fabric, I smile and run my fingers along the tiny and barely noticeable 'Ōhi'a Lehua, the official flower of the island of Hawai'i where my family was born.

"Here we go, guys," I whisper to it.

Some days are easier than others to accept that I'm a beautiful person, inside and out. I don't have any doubt about it right now. And when Brendon comes into view through the reflection, I understand it even more.

"Approve?" I ask, turning around.

Brendon is right; if I could see myself through his point of view, I'd never doubt myself again. He looks at me as if we were put on the earth simply to exist side-by-side. Maybe we were. Maybe there's a long, tangled red string strewn around us, and maybe we're just a happy chance of fate.

One second he's standing a few feet away from me. I breathe. Get lost in our endless skies. Fall further into something I think I can't possibly fall more into. Then he's in front of me, grabbing my waist again. Gentler this time. Softly, dreamily. Regardless of what happens, I'll always remember us and this moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.9K 2.1K 54
In the tranquil waters of Hawai'i, Hokulani and Nikau wonder if it's possible for a song to go on forever. ...
60.6K 5.1K 46
International pop star and former boy band heartthrob Jackson Ford has just met the girl of his dreams, Skye Kennedy, in a Hollywood coffee shop. She...
78K 1.6K 53
We all love the drivers, that's just a fact. And we all ship them. That's a fact too. This book is full of memes, pictures, comments, happiness, sad...
6K 556 34
Within the captivating world of power and allure, Cameron Miller and Anita Richards find themselves entangled in a magnetic dance of desire. Drawn to...