Diamond Heart [Chishiya x OC...

By Hairu_yuki

Hairu Miyamora : an artist, bookworm and astrology lover at the same time. After the incident that led to her... More

2. Connected
3. Pride flag
4. Bullet
5. Fever
6. In Control
7. Fragile
8. Only in my dreams
9. Sweet encounter
10. Candy kiss
11. Sweetheart
12. Together

1. Into borderland

2.5K 40 25
By Hairu_yuki

My fingers moved flawlessly over my laptop’s keyboard. If you’re an university student you get used to doing countless assignments, which can improve your typing skills if you’re lacking.

I finished my assignment about the speed of light, which now in total, took me about 6 hours to complete. Never did I dare complain about the amount of work assigned for me to do research on, because I am doing this to reach my goal. After the incident, my new dream became to be an astronomer.

Not just the stars, but also the idea of other life and meaning outside in the universe always interested me. I wanted to discover life on other planets and do research about black holes. I did not have any interest in the theory of the Big Bang ; I never wanted to overthink that topic, because it will get too scientific and would possibly poison the religion I had.

Fortunately, I worked hard throughout my high school years, scoring A+‘s on every science and math test. But that did not stop me from embracing my creative right brain. Whenever I had free time, I drew my own cartoons or experimented with oil paint.

I stretched my arms after closing my laptop. There was a minimal amount of students in the library today. I enjoyed it, because I hated crowds and noisy places. That’s why the library became my second home. Instead of wasting my time partying with my fellow students, I enjoyed my alone time in the library. The books and I did share some amount of conversations.

I took my shoulder bag and walked to the sci-fi section of books. Alice through the looking-glass. Wonderland was an interesting topic. I scanned through the pictures of the iconic wonderland characters. Alice, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts and Cheshire cat. Who even invented wonderland?

As I began to read to first page, I realized that my light source wasn’t as good as before. The lights were switched off. I came to a conclusion that maybe there was a blackout at this part of Tokyo. After taking 3 other books, I went to the front. I froze at the place I had studied countless times… The few people that were seated by the long table, were no longer in sight.

Frozen in place, my breathing almost stopped as I tried to hear the sound of any human movement or sound. It was dead silent. I knew that loud noises were not allowed in the library, but it had never been this quiet before. The library lady in the front, who scanned your books, was also gone.

The orange sunset peaking through the big windows became the only light source. I really need to go to my apartment before it gets dark. As I exited the library building, I searched for my cellphone in the pocket of my hoodie. After discovering that my device was useless, I sighed feeling hopeless. I only then saw what a ghost town Tokyo was. Not a human being was in sight. The cars on the road were frozen, but lacked its owners. There was literally nothing. Not even electricity.

Just before I can think of conclusions, several television screens on the glass buildings surrounding me, lit up brightly saying that there was a new Game arena. After rethinking my options, I decided to follow the route the screens provided to the place where I was supposed to play a game. That’s what  I thought.

Even though it was currently summer in the northern hemisphere, there was a cool breeze dancing in the streets. I mentally thanked myself for choosing a hoodie and black tights for today’s outfit.

When I arrived at the so called game arena, which was an apartment only a few blocks away from mine, I hid my face with my hoodie, putting my hands in my pockets for more warmth. Before taking the steps up to the first floor, I counted the floors of the apartment. 7 floors.

After walking a few steps, I heard a ding-sound and I immediately frowned and turned around. There were  faint red lines creating a border. With my heart beat running a marathon, I took my library card and threw it at the red lines. The card was immediately destroyed by a red laser shooting from the heavens. I swallowed slowly, feeling the breeze climb up my neck.

With legs that felt like jelly, I reached the first floor and saw a few people. That was probably the happiest I had ever felt and will ever feel about seeing other people. I slowly approached them, seeing a table with cellphones. One per person. Right then and there I decided to be the best actress I could be. I should not show the others that I’m new to this, because some of them obviously weren’t.

I took one of the cellphones and facial recognition proceeded. There was still 3 minutes left before the game registration would close. I stood in the last corner available and brainstormed. That red borderline would probably had killed me if I had crossed it, so that means that this game would probably be deadly. I read enough books about deadly games : Hungers Games, Squid Game ; you name it.

Even though I had figured out that much, which was still a theory, there would most definitely be other things that I did not know of. I slid down my shoulder bag to the ground and began to observe the people. There were two guys in one corner, one of them wearing a black tank top and green army pants. His face was intimidating and showed bloodlust. His friend was not that scary, but also looked like he was ready to fight.

Two girls, my age or older, were near the cellphone stand. Judging from their expressions, they were probably also new to this game. I leaned against the wall and glanced at the guy in the corner across from me. He was maximum 2 inches taller than me, with parted hair creating bangs that covered his face alongside a white hoodie. I couldn’t tell if his hair was silver or a really dirty blonde. Behind him there was an anonymous device charging. He was definitely the music over people kind of guy, because he had earphones. I would also rather listen to music than people.

Two other guys arrived going straight to the cellphones. They probably played before. The tall guy with blonde bleached hair mumbled something about a doctor. The other guy with messy black hair quickly glanced at everyone, including me. I looked down at the floor until I heard another newbie ask the two guys about the games. Another man with a black hat came and also joined. I only heard that the one’s name was Arisu.

Suddenly a robot- voice echoed saying that the registration had closed. Then she or it began to explain the rules of the game. It was a simple tag game, but the rules made it difficult. The participants had to run away from the tagger and had to find the safe zone within 20 minutes to stop the time bomb hidden in the building.

The man with the hat started to tell the others about the card meanings. Spades and the game I had to play right now required strength. Diamonds were battle of wits, clubs teamwork and apparently the hearts games were the most troublesome. Arisu talked about the visas that were to be gained if you play games. I ironically, mentally thanked the annoying newbie.

We were given 2 minutes to find a starting spot before the tagger would chase us. Even if this game was spades with the difficulty of only 5, I already decided where my starting point would be. I was the first one to leave by taking the stairs, since everyone else would take the elevator.

Stamina had never worked in my favour, but I still ran up the stairs, because it already felt as if the tagger was chasing me. And with everything in mind, I don’t think the tagger would just tag me. When I reached the 7th floor, I managed to steady my breathing and went to the corner. From where I stood, one could see every other participant and how frightened they looked. I still don’t understand this game, but I concluded that it would be best if I brainstormed at the place farthest from the tagger.

The elevator door at the opposite hallway opened, revealing the Kenma-looking guy. His face remained the same from the beginning : a smile indicating that he was clever and that he would be winning no matter what. I leaned forward with my arms on the railing as the guy walked over to my spot. His face shown only little surprise when he saw me and a small smirk formed at the corner of his mouth. He stopped 2 meters from my figure, looking down at the other participants.

“Seems like I’m not the only clever one here.” He suddenly said not looking at me.

My body tensed a little at his words, “I guess not.”

I did not know how to feel about him… yet. His sly, mysterious exterior reminded me of a cat. Even though he seemed untrustworthy, his cunning-cat aura attracted me.

“ Everyone look as if they are going to die, as usual.” His Cheshire smile never faltered.

I did not comment, because his expression showed amusement, which made me look down. A girl with short hair climb from floor to floor.

“A climber.” We both said in sync.

He looked directly at me, while I shifted my gaze at my fingers that were fiddling with each other from the anxiety I secretly felt. His gaze never left my existence and I could feel my heart hammer in my ears and head.

“Are you new to these games?”

I finally made eye contact with him, which did not last long, because my eyes froze on the beauty spot under his left eye. I contemplated if I should say yes or no. He probably already figured out which was the answer.

Finally I nodded, looking down at his sneakers. The wind waved my hair straight into my face, making me wish I had tied my hair today. After I removed the annoying strands of hair out of my vision, I saw the cat eyes still fixated upon me. His hair was a dirty blonde with a silver shine, which moved softly with the breeze. Before he could comment, the elevator door opened once again. The bloodlust guy and his accommodate glanced at us.

The cat-guy obviously knew them, because he waved at them, only to be ignored.

“That’s nasty.” He said as they walked to the stairs.

“Meanie.” I mumbled.

My 7th floor buddy looked at me with a smirk, “ Anyway, you are smart for a newbie.”

For the first time I straightened my posture taking a few steps closer to the blonde. I always had a bad habit of having a bad posture whenever I was around strangers ; my body leaning forward and my head hanging to hide my social anxiety.

I reached my hand out, “ Hairu Miyamora.”

At first he glanced at my hand before taking it, locking his eyes with mine.

“Chishiya Shuntaro.” His name resembled Cheshire too much.

After releasing his cold slender fingers from my hand, he replaced his hand back into his hoodie’s pocket.

“These games are deadly aren’t they?” I asked after the music played indicating that the tagger was on the loose.

“Pretty much.” He simply answered.

That did not surprise me, but my heart’s speed did quicken at the thought of death.

“ So you’re the kind of person to observe everything from a distance, solving the game’s riddle by watching the actions and choices of the other players?” I asked , feeling a smirk naturally appear.

He nodded, “ And you? Why choose this floor?”

“It is the farthest from the tagger and like I said, I am new these games. So I need to gather information from a safe place in order to survive.” I turned around leaning my back against the railing.

The sound of gunshots made me turn around immediately. The two girls from before laid in a pool of their own blood on the second floor. A few bloodstains painted the wall beside them. Without glancing at the killer, I crouched down feeling dizzy. At this rate, my heart could probably run away.

“ Don’t worry. The tagger won’t shoot us up here. Their vision is probably limited by their mask.” Chishiya calmly said.

I frowned, still struggling to properly swallow, “ Mask?”

Slowly I lifted myself by the railing and searched for the tagger. Then I saw the mask. A horse mask. Without thinking, I snorted.

“I can’t take them seriously if they wear that.” I let out one final laugh before readjusting to the reality.

“One moment you’re scared and then you’re laughing?” Chishiya looked at me with one eyebrow slightly raised, but he still had the Cheshire smirk.

“I’m a very emotional person with mood swings, so don’t judge.” I crossed my arms irritatingly.

“You’re interesting.” Chishiya mumbled almost inaudible for me to hear.

“What did you say?”

He leaned forward looking at the players being chased by the tagger, “ They were stupid to have chosen the floors close to the tagger.”

My one eye slightly twitched. He totally just ignored my question.

I sighed, “ Well, if all of them had chosen the 7th floor like us, we wouldn’t have been this safe. Those dummies are distracting the tagger from moving up to the highest floor. We should be thankful for stupid humans existing.”

Chishiya chuckled which made me feel strange, “You have a valid point.”

“Just who made these terrible games?” Sadness dripped from my tone.

“Who knows?” he shrugged, “ They are not entirely bad.”

I gave him a judgmental look, “Now you’re the weird one.”

Arisu screamed something about the tagger, but my focus was not on hearing him, but on Chishiya’s eyes, searching for an emotion. Only surprise was visible for a few seconds, then there was nothing again. He was definitely a thinker, because he hid his emotions like I avoided making eye contact with strangers. His eyes were emotionless but still pretty and magnetic. It was as if once you looked into them, you simply couldn’t look away.

“I have pretty eyes?” Chishiya asked me with a frown.

At first I was confused, then I realised that I wasn’t complementing his features just in my head.

My possible reaction was interrupted by the tagger shooting countless times. This time they were shooting from a long distance at the annoying newbie on the 4th floor. Why would the tagger shoot from such a long distance? Then it clicked.

“That’s the safe zone. It has to be.” I whispered to Chishiya.

After a few seconds of inspecting the scene, he smiled and turned to me, “You beat me to it again, Hairu. Why tell me?”

I thought for a moment and then answered, “We’re allies now, aren’t we?”

“Sure.” He answered lacking reassurance.

I walked past him, “Liar.”

Chishiya followed behind me, “Now I am sure that you are clever and cautious. We can be allies if you want.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.7K 877 35
Ren felt hopeless. Ren was lost in life, with no real future ahead of her except caring for her siblings. Even with her sister's cancer treatment an...
5.8K 295 18
"ɪ ᴋɴᴇᴡ ᴡʜᴏ ɪ ᴡᴀs ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪ ɢᴏᴛ ᴜᴘ ᴛʜɪs ᴍᴏɴʀɪɴɢ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ɪ ᴍᴜsᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇᴅ sᴇᴠᴇʀᴀʟ ᴛɪᴍᴇs sɪɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴇɴ." Sora wasn't supposed to be in Shibuya t...
509K 17.7K 49
"𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙚, 𝙗𝙖𝙗𝙮, 𝙄'𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙞𝙩. 𝙄'𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙤 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪...
240K 7.2K 73
"No one could understand the love I have for you. Not even you" └── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘ ⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ - drugs, sexual themes, strong language, death, self-harm...