Ethel 'n Opal

By neuttt

"can i help you?" "nah, you just look familiar..." [ when a heartbroken Ethel met a soft-spoken Opal, it was... More

ethel 'n opal
prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
nine
ten
eleven
epilogue
author's note

eight

441 30 27
By neuttt

e t h e l   d i x o n

-------------

"'Cause baby, it's the everything for me. For me, for me. Baby, it's the everything for me. For me, oh, for me. Hmmm..." I walk around my room humming along with Kehlani while "Everything" plays from my speakers. Spraying some perfume on my neck, I cough when I taste the chemical part of the mist while putting on my eos lip balm. 

The clock on my purple wall reads 1:59 and I try not to get annoyed because she promised to be here by 2:15 and I still don't see no car pulling up when I peak out the window through my beaded curtains.

2:05. Now I'm pacing back and forth on my rug, anxiously running a brush through the tangles at the ends of my wig.

2:11. I double check that everything I need to go downstairs is on my bed: MacBook, charger, led pencils, post'its, the task sheet with all the requirements, my phone, chem notebook, and a hair clip in case this honey blonde unit starts itching the back of my neck.

2:13. The doorbell rings and I sigh, relieved. But then my chest feels a sharp pang right after. 

"I got it!" I shout this down the hall, hurrying back to collect all my things and do one final check of my fit in the mirror. I tweak my orange Bape hoodie a little, brushing off any additional lint on my black ripped jeans. Tell me why while I'm tryna peep how my ass looks in them, I hear one of these niggas already making their way down when I literally just said I got it a few seconds ago.

Nobody ever fucking listens I swear to god. I slip my feet into my slides and rush down the stairs with my arms full. I already hear a few voices before I reach the last step, mummy's sticking out the most.

I meet them at the entrance, Opal, surprisingly her dad, and the woman who I saw her talking to before - I assume is her mother - are taking their shoes off and setting it by the door. Mummy's the first to notice me and has the nerve to try and embarrass me right now.

"Doudou, you were taking so long, I had to come and let our guests in." I side-eye her. My guests you mean?

"I was literally just about to come down, why are you lying?" I say this to her but my eyes follow Opal who in turn, gives me a shy wave and I mentally roll my eyes. She wasn't on that shy shit when we were texting earlier. Still, I respond to her with a small nod. I don't get to see Opal's reaction because next thing I know, mummy is gently pushing me in front of her parents to properly greet them.

"Ethel, you remember your Friend Opal's dad Olev right? And this is her mother Marjani."

"Hey yall," I try to wave without much freedom to move my hands. As if she could read my mind, Opal's already at my side, taking some stuff out of my hands. What surprises me though is when her mother pulls me into a hug immediately after.

"Hello my dear." when she pulls back to examine me, "My, how precious you are..." I don't know what to say or do so I just smile extra wide, blinking my eyes like I see those little girls be doing in Toddlers & Tiaras. Her smile in response is like a stamp of approval I didn't know I was even looking for. I don't know exactly why I care, but I have a feeling it has something to do with the blonde who shifts impatiently from foot to foot beside me.

The fuck wrong with'er anyways?

"Opal, your Nuru was right, she's gorgeous!" Marjani nods with a content smile.

"Huh?"

"Ema!" Opal gives her a wide-eyed look, some color appearing on her cheekbones. Now I'm curious. I know she feels me staring at the side of her face too, but Opal looks everywhere but at me with this tortured expression. Olev huffs in amusement and pats my shoulder in greeting. Marjani takes the gift basket he has in his hand, and offers it to mummy.

"This is for your you. We wanted to officially meet the family of the girl I hear our daughter has been friends with for a while now, and in my home, any occasion is worth a gift basket."

"Oh Marjani you shouldn't have!" I internally groan when mummy gasps and claps in delight like she didn't see the gift in his hand the whole time. She holds it up to the light and I eye it to see what I can take before Marc and 'Bastion get their hands on it.

They get to talking some more, acting as if they've known each other for years. Mummy ends up calling popi over and he appears grumbling begrudgingly. But then he sees Olev and his expression changes completely.

"Aye! My men!"

"Oh-oh! Renaldo? How you been?"

"You know men, doing my best. I didn't know you..."

Clearly me and Opal aren't the only two who know each other between our families.

Speaking of Opal, she tugs the sleeve of my hoodie and whispers, "Can we go?"

I nod, taking the gift basket out of mummy's hand without her noticing, before I lead us to the living room.

"You gonna tell me what that Nuru thing was about?"

"Hm?" I don't even have to look at her to know she's blushing, her tone alone gives it away. This makes me chuckle to myself.

"Keep acting dumb."

I take a break from scrolling through my browser and find myself staring at a concentrated Opal who sits next to me on the couch. I can't even lie, shawty got this cutesy-geek vibe to her that makes her annoying as fuck and attractive beyond her looks at the same time. Not to say her features alone can't stand on their own 'cause that'd be reaching. Shawty face card ain't ever declining. But I'm just saying, her personality combined with allat she packing would make most people wanna cuff.

No wonder Tassie got all territorial that day I was at the dean's office.

Oblivious to my staring, she leans back a bit, stretching her arms up. I peep how her shirt rides up a little, revealing a soft carmel tummy with a little pudge to it. I wet my lips unconsciously, and mug her when she finishes stretching, fixes her shirt, and goes back to typing on the tablet she brought with her. When I finally realize what the fuck I'm doing, I scold myself for even having these thoughts because I only got out of a relationship a while ago. I can't be hopping on to the next pretty face when I'm still healing from my previous heartbreak.

Sure, I'm over Amanda. Matter fact, that bitch is dead to me. But that still doesn't make my little soft spot that's starting to grow for Opal any good of an idea.

The corners of her mouth twitch and I wonder what she could possibly be thinking about. I don't have to wonder for long.

"I thought you were supposed to be looking for pictures?"

Marc snorts below us, sitting on the rug while doing some project for his photography club. I scrunch my face and kick him in the ass. He slaps my foot away, mumbling slick shit under his breath. He's so lucky I'm on my best behavior right now.

He'd came home a while ago, saw me and Opal working, and joined us in the living room. They spent a few minutes having small talk about their love for the arts, blah-blah-blah, some other stuff that wasn't important. That eventually faded into a comfortable silence. Except for now of course since Opal wanna put a girl on the spot.

"I am." -I'm not. But that's none of your business. I put on my best confused face when she finally stops typing and gives me her full attention. 

"What?" Opal doesn't say anything, just gives me a knowing look, so I go back to scrolling around my blank slide.

"Show me what you've gotten so far then?" I fold my screen closer to me and peak once to see that she's now giving me one of her full blown smiles. And fuck if I don't feel like I just got my shit rocked for a second. This past month, I realized this was a habit of hers, the whole weird, smiling a lot thing. It kinda annoyed me in the beginning, 'cause like, who does that? But now I can't really complain 'cause I get to see her pretty pink braces.

"Opal, mind your business."

"I'm pretty sure this project is my business though Ethe-"

"-Yo Mark! Where you put my camera bro? I need it for a YouTube vide-" 'Bastion's heavy ass feet make themselves known before he even enters the living room, being loud for no reason. What gives me pause is when he stops short, taking in Opal with this look of interest. Lemme just say, I am not a fan.

"Who's this?" His ugly ass has some nerve coming down here looking like a bum. I can tell he just woke up from a cat nap 'cause his twist-out looks all messed up and his wife beater and basketball shorts got wrinkles everywhere. 

"Hi," Opal offers a friendly smile, waving all shyly and shit. That boy is not even that intimidating so I don't know why she doesn't talk crazy to him the way she be coming at me real bold sometimes. Sebastion smirks though, having no idea how I'm planning to murder him when she leaves. He saunters over.

Di-did this nigga just flex?

He tries to play off shoving Marc so he can stand directly in front of us. Marc shoves him back and he stumbles a little. But like a boomerang, this nigga comes right the fuck back, leaning against the arm of the sofa. Specifically on the side closer to Opal. Marc looks to me, his face scrunched up in confusion. My reply comes in the form of an eye roll. 

"Why is he acting new-" Marc is cut off when he tries voicing my exact thoughts.

"-I'm Sebastion, but you can just call me Seb. How 'bout you shawty?" He offers his hand for her to shake and I immediately slap it away.

"None of your business nigga." My arm comes to rest behind Opal's head on the back of the couch. His stupid ass better take a hint. I'm glaring real hard at him when she ducks her head to muffle her laugh, and this boy just brush it off. He smiles at me and wiggle his brows with the utmost confidence. I'm glad Opal finding this funny too - not. The fuck she think this is?

I realize that I'm acting a lot like Tassie - which is pretty uncomfortable to think -  but hey, fuck if I care right now. At least I understand why she was that way a month ago.

Opal finally gets herself together and regards him kindly. But her eyes hold this apologetic look, like she feels bad for not falling for his stale ass tricks like I know some of these girls be doing.

"I'm Opal, Ethel's friend." I feel my chest swell with pride because of the way she says "Ethel's friend". Like some part of her acknowledges that she's mine too. In a friendly way of course. Because she is my guest. I don't know why everyone in this house acting like they the ones who arranged for her to come over.

"Shiii, you tryna be my friend?" He leans closer.

I grab her by the waist and force us to switch seats. Big fucking mistake. 'Cause for the briefest of seconds, I remember what it felt like holding her that night. And for the briefest of seconds I kinda want it again. Or maybe I just miss having that someone I can hold and cuddle with whenever. These thoughts I push to the back of my mind when I punch 'Bastion hard on his shoulder and twist his nipple.

"Aah!-"

"Move foo'!"

"What?! Ain't she one of your homegirls?" He mugs me, rubbing on his chest and kicks my side - daddy-long-legs ass motherfucker.

I grit my teeth, "Leave Sebastion. Right neow or I swear to god my foot gone be on ya neck in a split."

"Mane whatever," this he says to me while rolling his eyes. "It was nice meeting you. Come holla at me before you leave though." This, he says to Opal on his way out.

"Mmmtch."

Opal nods kindly - I don't know why 'cause she ain't gone do shit - and he gives her a flirtatious wink before going up the stairs.

When I tell you I jumped so fast to chase after him, MacBook be damned. Unfortunately, Opal quickly pulled me back down, giggling like shit funny.

"Focus please. I know your slides are empty, which doesn't make sense because we've been sitting here for three hours now."

I know she's teasing, but I still glare at her face. I can't help to notice how she practically glows in this tiny moment. How that work?  Still, I don't know how she knows I didn't do any work but when I peak at the screen hidden against my stomach, I see the icon for her account at the top of the document. This makes me glare harder.

"Well maybe I don't like how our ad is coming out and that puts me off working on it. You ever thought about that?"

She sighs, her chin now resting in her palms looking all adorable and shit. "What don't you like about it?"

I honestly can't find anything bad to say 'cause it's actually perfectly fine. She's just so aggy bruh.  

"Opal don't sigh at me."

"Ethel." Yup. That's my name. Don't wear it out.

She studies me now, her head tilted to the side and confusion written all over her face. It slowly morphs into a small grin. At this point, I'm jacking her kink is pissing me off for fun. This girl yo.

"What Opa-"

Click.

I feel the flash of the camera on my face right as I'm in the middle rolling my eyes. 

"Marc?"

"Huh?"

"What the fuck you doing jit?" He looks up from the camera sheepishly.

Opal is busy hiding her growing blush behind her tablet while I confront another one of these nigga's that just wanna show out today. Like ya'll don't ever do this, why now?

"It's part of my project for photography: 'capturing moments that make people feel nostalgia'. Best one wins two free tickets to the town festival next month," he starts to get excited now, talking all fast, "and if I win, I wanna ask Shean out." He nervously bites his lip while I blink a couple times, surprised he even brought up the dusty he's currently crushing on.

That reminds me though. I got two tickets tucked at the bottom of my nightstand right now. I'd bought them a while ago with the plan of taking my ex with me since we were already together - which made sense then. And I really wanna go this year too. Last time I missed it because I sprained my ankle during step practice. But now I'm single with an extra ticket I can't get a refund for. I'd offer it to Marc but I'm sure he'd rather have both tickets for him and his little boy toy. I'm not even worried about him 'cause I know he'll win his little photography club contest. Those white volunteers from the program love him and the kid is seriously talented, no joke.

Speaking of jokes, the funniest idea pops up in my head right then: What if I ask Opal to come with me? Not like asking her out-out, but like two friends - or associates - chillin' together ya'know?

Absolutely not. I can't think of a valid reason right now, but no. I'll just ask one of my teammates or something - 'cause that's the smarter thing to do.

Marc avoids my hard stare 'cause as touching as his sob story is, it still doesn't excuse the ugly ass picture I know he took of me. Instead he turns to Opal now - who by the way found the idea of his little project to be "so cool" -art geeks -, "You coming too?"

"Nah." She purses her lips apologetically.

See? Now imagine I asked. Would'a been looking real stupid, smh.

"Why nooot?" Marc whines and I'm genuinely confused, 'cause when did they become such bestie-westies that the news of her not coming is now a big deal?

But yeah, what he said. Why nooot?

"They sold out before I could even save up for tickets - those things are crazy expensive by the way."

Marc looks around guiltily. "Awe, well ya'know, I'd give you my extra if I wasn't already-"

"No! Nonono," Opal laughs and places her hand on his shoulder for reassurance, "that's okay. I think you'd enjoy it more with this shean person than me." She gives him a knowing look and he tries to hide his smile.

"I promise to win you a bunch of prizes though."

At this, Opal perks up, "Really? Thank you Marc, that's so sweet of you!"

I sink further into the cushions, grumbling "I can be sweet too" under my breath. They don't hear me though, too busy being fake and continue the conversation without me.

Night time rolls around too soon and I do manage to get something done - as Opal had put it. Our parents emerge from the dining room nonetheless, easy smiles on their faces, and Marjani tells her it's time to go.

I walk Opal to their truck, my parents opting to stay back and watch from the front steps. I say goodbye to her parents, who I now realize are some serious huggers when I'm finally released from their embrace. And then it's our turn to say goodbye.

It's pretty awkward for a moment, being that neither of us know what's technically appropriate. Opal hesitantly pulls me into a nice hug and I know exactly which two people to thank. I stand still with my hands at my sides, surprised by her again for the second time since I've known her.

And for the briefest of moments I allow her to hold me. And for the briefest of moments I allow myself to nervously hold her back, sinking into her warmth and how soft she feels in my arms. This close, her intoxicating, signature scent suffocates me and I don't mind 'cause maybe this is how god intended for me to go.

I bite back my protest when she starts to pull away and clench my fists in the pockets of my hoodie so I don't pull her back into me. She whispers the sweetest goodbye, making sure I'm the only one who hears 'cause we both know our parents are eavesdropping. I register my knees getting weak a little and shit, I need to go back inside quick.

When she finally turns to get in the truck, it feels all wrong.

Come on, say something Ethel. Anything.

I wasn't gonna say nothing. I swear I wasn't. But then my hand on her elbow had already stopped her current going. She looked at me in question with those same black eyes that lately got my heart doing gymnastics.

I could've sworn the voice in my head warned me against this. Said to just leave it alone. The crush will go away but my fragile heart couldn't take another break.

But then I just had to open my stupid mouth and put my pride on the line. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared as fuck. Looking back I can't say I regretted my decision though.

"Opal... do you wanna um, I don't know. D-do ya'know, c-come - or like go together - with me to the festival next month?"

©neuttt

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 6.4K 50
𝗦𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗲𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗙𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿𝘀 (girlxgirl)(𝓌𝓁𝓌)(femxstem) 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐰/ 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬! Riah's life after high school was just pieci...
9.6K 804 31
"So this is it then," Aaron Knowles spoke softly, "this is where it ends." He didn't even respond. Instead Caleb Jefferson rushed towards him, wrapp...
303K 7.1K 44
"if i swallow magnets, will i become attractive?" "you're already cute when you're nice lia" came a deep, sweet voice behind me, as strong arms circ...
73.6K 3K 27
I watch her when she walks in, orders the same drink - same size - and sits at the exact same table every single day. I don't think she notices me, s...