Of Masks And Roses

By SunflowerCandie

All I wanted was to have a fun night, go to the movies with my best friend, and nothing else. Nope. After an... More

The Accident
The Opera House
A Job
First Day
The Phantom of the Opera
The Mirror
My Journal
The Catacombs
The Phantom's Lair
The Piano
The White Room
Primavera
Please Wake Up
What Happened?
The Shoe
Hannibal
Notes
The Talk
Il Muto
All I Ask Of You
No One's Fault
Playing Again
The Red Music Box
Stubborn
Keep Your Mouth Shut
The Lake
Feelings
Blushes
Sickness
I Worry About You
A Dance Around the Memory Tree
A Tour Of The Opera House
To Build A Home
A Carlotta Intervention
Into The Unknown
The Dress
The Masquerade
Saturn
The Meeting
The Cemetery Part 1
The Cemetery Part 2
We Have All Been Blind
Rehearsal
Let His Opera Begin!
Past The Point Of No Return
Down Once More
Reprise
Home
The Items
No Matter How Long It Takes
One Last Song

The Pavilion

1.1K 36 4
By SunflowerCandie

"Have a nice day!" I said as I handed the customer their items. They smiled and nodded at me, then turned away walking out of the shop, the bell jinggling against the door as it closed behind them.

I sighed, turning away and left my station at the counter. Slowly I walked around the store, checking instruments and adjusting the C.D.'s and albums to pass the time. I passed by a violin on display, lifting it up and holding it in my arms, plucking the strings and listening for anything out of tune. I looked ahead, staring at the piano section. I could feel my heart pulling for them, my fingers itching to play something, anything.

I shook my head and placed the violin back on it's stand, making my way back to the counter where I picked up the remote to the speaker system, turning the music up slightly as I sat back on my stool at the register. I tilted my head, relaxing as I listened to Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi.

"How's the shop doin'?" asked my manager, Beth, sticking her head out of the office door, "Nothing shady goin' on? No instruments out of tune?"

I smiled gently as I spun my stool to face her, "Everything's good, Beth. I probably should dust a few things, but other than that it's been pretty slow."

"Alright!" said Beth cheerily as she walked out of the office, handing me the keys, "Well, I'm off. Don't forget to lock up and set the alarm-"

"Ah, shucks," I said smugly as I took them from her, "I was really hoping to sell everything overnight and take a super nice vacation or whatever."

Beth rolled her eyes, smacking me on the side of my head playfully as she walked past me, "Haha." she said, making her way to the door, "Well, if you do, then I'm afraid we will have to battle to the death, for you have forsaken my sacred store."

I snorted and lazily put my chin in my hands, resting my elbows on the counter, "Ah, I shall retrieve my sword, then."

Beth snickered, then turned to look at me, "Have a good night, Scarlet." she said, then exited the building, the bell jingling gently.

"You too, Beth." I called after her, then turned back to the counter and grabbed some albums lying to the side, carefully flicking through them.

"Ah, Fleetwood Mac or Elton John?" I whispered to myself, looking between the two. As I placed Fleetwood Mac back in the bin, I was alerted when the bell jingled again, hearing the door open behind me as I spun to the record player against the wall behind me.

"I'll be with you in just a minute." I called out, slipping the vinyl out and placing it on the record player, dropping the needle and smiling slightly as 'Funeral For a Friend' began to play. I turned down the volume slightly, while pausing the stereo playing Ludovico.

"Do you have any music sheets from the Phantom of the Opera?" a man asked. I paused, my slight smile falling. I could feel my heart begin to race as I spun around, but relaxed as I was met with the face of a middle aged man with greying hair, brown eyes, and tan skin, "I'm a music teacher," he continued, smiling brightly, "And half of my class had been asking to perform the 'Phantom of the Opera Overture' all last year. Would you have it?" he asked.

I smiled and nodded as I stood up from my seat, "Of course we do!" I said cheerfully, "Right this way, sir."

Of course, after my experience at the Opera Populair itself, I knew exactly where the music sheets were. I used to read them at least once a day, to remind myself that it was real and that I had been there. I would hum them to myself, and reminisce about all the good times I had. But it also brought me back to him, and it made me miss him more than I could bear. Soon I had put the book away all together, avoiding the music sheet part of the office as much as I could.

"How many copies do you need?" I asked as I grabbed the Phantom of the Opera Music sheet book from the office, flipping through the pages as I turned back and stopped in front of him, "And what grade are you looking for? How many different parts will you need?"

"There are 25 students playing, and they are seventh graders. I will need 6 first violins, 6 second violins, 6 violas, 5 cellos, and 2 bass parts."

I nodded, "Alright, we'll have the copies ready for you tomorrow, sir, as I'm afraid that I don't have them all with me tonight."

"That's alright," he smiled, "I'll come back tomorrow to grab and pay for them. Thank you for all your help, miss. The kids are going to love playing Phantom of the Opera."

I grinned as I closed the book, folding it in front of my arms, "I'm sure that they're going to have a great time learning it. You have a good night, sir."

"You too!" he said as he made his way to the door, opening it and closing it behind him, the bell signaling his departure.

My smile slowly fell as I looked down at the book, sighing as I rubbed my thumb against the cover. I shook my head, placing it back in the office, as well as the music sheet orders for the morning staff.

"Even if it did happen," I whispered to myself a while later as I grabbed the keys to the shop and my things, turning off the stereo and putting away the records, "It's over now. No use mourning over something I can no longer change."

XxX

"How was your shift?" asked Emily as I walked into the apartment, locking the door behind me and placing my keys on the counter.

I shrugged, "It was fine. Some parents bought their crazy child a violin, and man do I feel bad."

"About what?" asked Emily as I walked past her, she was gazing into the fridge, wearing her work uniform and badge, "The parents?" She took out a jug of milk, opening the lid and taking a sniff, a box of Extra-Cheesy Mac-n-Cheese on the counter.

I snorted and shook my head as I plopped onto the couch, "Nah, the violin. I guarantee that in a week it's going to be busted and the parents will come running for repairs. Or perhaps a refund."

Emily shook her head, "Good thing you guys don't give out refunds for instruments."

I nodded as I took out my phone, opening up my spotify and plugging the phone into the mini speaker on the small table by the couch, "Yup. Once it's in their hands and out of the store it's no longer our responsibility, bitches." I scrolled through my playlist, humming to myself as I searched.

"Speaking of instruments..." Emily said, pausing slightly, and I could feel her eyes on the back of my head, "Did you even touch a piano today?"

I bit my lip, shaking my head as I selected 'Bad Apple by RichaadEB featuring Christina Vee'. I sat back against the couch as the guitar and drums began to start.

Emily stared at me, then growled, strutting out of the kitchen and over to the speaker, pressing pause on my phone.

"Hey!" I said, turning to look at her, "Come on, it was about to really get going-"

"What gives, Scarlet?" asked Emily, putting her hands on her hips, "Ever since the coma you haven't even touched the piano, let alone your guitar. What is going on? Piano used to be your thing! Before the coma it would kill you to not be able to play for more than a week. It's been two months since you woke up! I'm getting really worried about you. Really, if something is wrong you can tell me."

I shook my head, "Nothing is wrong. I just haven't felt like playing, ok?" I smiled gently, "Really, I'm fine. I just... haven't had the time."

She shook her head, "Bullshit. You work in a music shop, you are literally surrounded by pianos, daily."

I sighed and turned away, staring ahead at the blank T.V. in front of me. I picked at my nails as I thought to myself. Truth is, the only reason why I hadn't played is because I was afraid. I was afraid because what if I was able to look back to that time? Just like I was able to do when I was at the Populair. I was afraid that I would see Erik, and see what he had become while I had been gone. I wasn't prepared to know if I could see him, or if I couldn't, that I wouldn't ever again look upon his face or hear his voice. It was eating me up inside.

Emily sighed, walking around the couch and sitting next to me, "I'm sorry," she said, putting her hand on my arm, "I didn't mean to pry, really. I'm just worried about you." I nodded, but couldn't look at her. I didn't want to see the worry in her eyes. It would only have made me feel more guilty.

"Hey, you're not working tomorrow, right?" she asked, "Let's just relax and then get out for the day, take a walk, clear our heads. I know I definitely need it." she snorted, rolling her eyes.

I chuckled, "Work beating you, too?" I asked, turning to look at her.

"To a pulp. Don't ever become a self-checkout cashier, Scarlet. It's tourture," she laughed, putting her head in her hands, "I swear to god, if I see another customer abuse the machine's I will commit a felony."

XxX

I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief as the warm summer breeze drifted over me, the green leaves in the trees that surrounded the park rustled in the wind, bathing everything in a naturesque glow. You couldn't even tell that summer was almost at its end, autumn just around the corner. I gazed around the park as Emily and I walked down the path. There were kids playing on the playground nearby, a few people throwing toys for their dogs, couples walking past, hand in hand, and families sitting together having a picnic. It seemed like everyone had the same idea, to be together and have a nice day with the ones that you love; to enjoy the last few days of summer.

"Isn't this great?" giggled Emily as she spun in a circle as we walked, "It's so warm out. Perhaps I should trade my self-checkout badge and become a fairy. Then I could live in a place just like this forever."

I smiled and rolled my eyes, "The day that you are actually able to do that, I'll stop listening to music."

Just then I could hear it, the gentle strum of a guitar, the snare of a drum, as well as a violin, cello, and even a piano. I stopped in my tracks, looking around me as I listened.

"Do you hear that?" I asked Emily. She stopped as well, putting her hands on her hips.

"Yeah! It must be coming from the pavilion! Come on! Let's go and see!" she shrieked with excitement, grabbing my hand and practically dragging me to the pavilion. The pavilion was octagon shaped, wooden steps leading up to the platform where the band was playing. There I spotted the band as they played a cover of 'Sun by Two Door Cinema Club'. The instruments blended together beautifully, a crowd of people gathering to hear them play, some sitting down on blankets, and kids dancing around. The singer grinned at the audience, the other band members smiling as they all sang together.

"Though,

I'm far away!

I know I'll stay, I know I'll stay!

Right there with you.

And though,

It might be too late!

What would you say? What would you say?

What would you do?"

I smiled and clapped as they ended. They grinned and those who were standing bowed, while those who were sitting waived to the audience.

"Thank you so much!" shouted the singer into the microphone, the rest of the band turning away and packing up. I nodded in approval as the musicians handled their instruments and gear with care.

"Hey, look," whispered Emily, "They have a piano! You should ask if you can play something on it. It's a super nice one too, man, how did they even get that thing here?"

Though she was right, the gleaming black piano sitting there in the sun, my fingers itching to play something, I paled and shook my head, taking a step back.

"No, I couldn't." I responded, looking down at my feet.

"Oh come on!" whined Emily, "You haven't played the piano in so long! I know we had this conversation last night, but I'm tired of seeing your instruments collect dust and, frankly, I'm tired of seeing you moping about all sad and everything and not telling me why."

I opened my mouth to retort, but couldn't come up with anything. I crossed my arms and shuffled my feet, gazing at the piano while the band laughed and talked with each other as they packed, the pianist bringing out his phone and dialing a number.

"Yeah. Yeah, we're done for the day," he said into the phone, "Yeah let's get the piano back to the theater." he said, reaching over and shutting the piano's fall board, "Then we should all go out to dinner to celebrate the end of the season." he said, looking at the other guys with approval, the drummer's eyes lighting up as he nodded vigorously.

"You know they're going to say no," said the violinist with a smirk.

"Shush!" said the drummer, "I vote Hu-Hot! All you can eat, baby!" The violinist rolled his eyes and turned back to his violin case.

"It's been so long since I last performed," I whispered, "I just... I don't know if I can do it. Or if they would even let me. They're packing up as we speak, Em."

'Or if I even have the strength,' I thought to myself, turning to look back at the band.

"No no, it's our treat, really," continued the pianist, "You've been such a big help to the theater it's the least we can do. No fighting over it, dude. I know you're just around the corner, come help us with the piano so we can get out of here. Zane is so excited about dinner he looks like he's going to explode. You better get here before he falls apart." he grinned, rolling his eyes at the drummer, who scoffed and rolled his eyes. The cellest nearby, snickered at the two of them.

I looked back at Emily and shook my head. Emily pursed her lips, "Well, too bad." she said, then grabbed my arm and practically dragged me over to the group, "You and I both know that you need to do this. You know you'll regret it if you don't."

The band members looked up at us as we walked over, the singer smiled as we stopped in front of him.

"Hiya, ladies," he said as wound up the cord of his mic, "What can we do for ya?"

Emily smiled, "Hi, I have a little favor to ask of you, if I may?" she said timidly, blinking her eyes and tilting her head. I almost rolled my eyes.

"Sure, fire away," he said.

"My friend here loves to play the piano," she said, pulling me up closer to them. I bit my lip and looked down at my feet, my face turning red, "But she was in an accident about a year ago and hasn't played the piano since. She's been kinda upset. She's such an accomplished player, and I know that it's killing her not to even perform a song," she looked over to me and smiled, "Even if she won't tell me why," she said, then looked back at the singer, "So I was wondering if she could play a song on that piano there."

"What kind of accident were you in?" asked the drummer. Apparently all of the band members had been listening, they were looking at the two of us with amused curiosity, a few of them snickering at the drummer's question. The singer rolled his eyes and turned to him.

"Really, Zane?" he asked, "Can you be any more blunt?" he said, shaking his head. The drummer looked around at everyone, scoffing and opening and closing his mouth.

I rolled my eyes, "Car accident." I said, and everyone turned to me, "I was in a coma for ten months."

The drummer's eyebrows rose and he nodded, "Alright, then." he looked over at the violinist, and raised his eyebrows, mouthing something that I couldn't quite make out. The violinist shrugged and looked back at me in wonder.

The singer rolled his eyes and turned back to us, "Ignore them. Of course you can play," he leaned closer to me and smiled, "From one mucitian to another, nothing hurts more than not being a part of music. Play on, and never stop."

I grinned, "Thank you." Slowly I walked around him and up the steps towards the piano. I could feel my heart racing as I sat on the bench, opening the fallboard and gently placing my hands on the keys. I grinned as I strummed my hands across them, playing a few chords to warm myself up. I hadn't even noticed the drummer waive the violinist over, whispering to him furiously. The violinist's eyes rose, nodding slightly.

"Maybe," he shrugged, "I have an idea." he said, rushing over and rounding up the singer, the cellest, and the pianist, whispering to them furiously.

I sighed as I relaxed into the music as it rang around me, finally relaxing after what seemed like forever.

I turned to look back at Emily, smiling as I nodded at her in thanks, then I turned back to the piano, and began to play the first song that came into my mind. The tune started out slowly, my fingers gliding over the keys, the lyrics ringing in my head.

'Shamed into solitude,

Shunned by the multitude.

I longed to listen.

In my dark my heart heard music.'

The band members rushed around, unboxing their instruments and smiling at each other. I barely even heard them, too wrapped up in the music to pay attention.

'I long to teach the world.

Rise up and reach the world.

No one would listen.

I alone could hear the music.'

I stifled as I felt someone sit down next to me, but bit my lip and kept my head down and continued, the lyrics ringing in my head as I played. I gazed out of the corner of my eye as the person placed their hands on the keys, and began to play with me. I smiled and looked back to my hands as the other band members began to play as well, a cello, violin, and a guitar mixing into the music. I began to hum the lyrics to myself, as I knew them by heart.

'Then at last a voice in the gloom,

Seemed to cry, 'I hear you.'

The man next to me began to hum as well, and my brows furrowed at the sound of it. My fingers faltered on the piano and came to a stop as I stared ahead, listening to him as we hummed together, and as he continued to play.

'I hear your fears,

Your torment and your tears.'

A breeze drifted through the air, rustling the leaves of the trees over our heads, bringing with it the smell of summer. And beneath the smell of the leaves and flowers; of nature, I could smell candle wax, new parchment, and roses.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I turned my head, looking up into Erik's smiling, teary-eyed face. I could only stare in disbelief, feeling my eyes well up as he started to sing to me.

"You saw my loneliness," he whispered, his voice breaking. The tears began to fall as I smiled at him.

"Shared in my emptiness.

No one would listen." he sang, taking a hand off of the piano and reaching out to me. I leaned my head against his hand, letting out a sobbed filled laugh as I gazed at him in awe.

"No one but you,

Heard as the outcast hears."

Erik stopped playing and wrapped me in a hug, and I melted into him. The band members played on, the music ringing loud and clear.

"No one would listen," he continued, whispering in my ear,

"No one but you,

Heard as the outcast hears."

I pulled away from him, looking up into his face. He smiled down at me, brushing my hair out of my face with the tips of his fingers. I choked out a sob, reaching out to him and pulled him against me, kissing him as hard as I could. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close and squeezing me tightly.

The band members cheered and clapped, the drummer turning to the violinist, "I told you!" he said with a grin, "I knew it was her, I was right!"

I pulled away from Erik, but didn't let go of him, "How are you here?" I sobbed as he wiped the tears from my face, "I thought I had lost you! I don't understand!"

He shook his head, "I promise, my Rose, I'll tell you everything." he buried his head in my neck, holding me tight, "Just don't let me go yet, please. I'm missed you so, so much, Scarlet."

I shook my head, tears streaming down my face, "I won't," I whispered, holding him tighter, "I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 271 48
1871- Two lost souls found their dreams in Seville, but the dangers are far from eliminated, while in France a new terror has arisen. *some fantasy*...
1.8K 51 21
What happened to the Phantom after the lair? Where did he go? What did he do? Well, he finds his way to NYC with Meg and Madame Giry only to continua...
15.4K 323 26
The Strange Affair of the Phantom of the Opera has come to pass and the Opera House is rebuilt. A young girl finds herself getting taken in by Madam...
32.8K 1K 43
The great fire, it cost Erik everything he ever knew. His house, his only love... everything. He roamed the streets for almost four years, staying hi...