from Academy to Anbu by theri...

By Tanjastorm

read the story if you want to and not my original work. I just like the story and wanted an easier access to... More

chapter one
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
Chapter 41

chapter 19

153 5 0
By Tanjastorm

One hour after the cabbage man…er, super bridge builder Tazuna witnessed his life's work go sky high…

"And then the explosion showed the entire land of Waves my art, un!" Deidara recounted his masterpiece for the fifth time to a dozing Hikaru and mentally chanting Naruto.

'Must not kill Deidara. Must not kill Deidara!'

'I actually like the gaki. Much too loud like your old self, but enjoys destruction.'

'Of course you'd say that.' The ride on Deidara's bird had long since lost its magic one it became apparent the older blonde had no filter.

"Mouse, hey MOUSE! Un, pay attention! My art demands an audience and Roach-teme is too dense to enjoy art."

"Snort. I enjoy art just fine. But I would rather spend the last hours of my life before Dragon-same skewers us for your mistake sleeping. Not listening to your insane rehashing's!" Hikaru shot back. Both got in each other's faces and Naruto face palmed.

"Do I even want to know why you call him 'Roach-teme'?"

"He has a colony of roaches living under his bed, un. The bastard even named them" Deidara pointed an accusing finger at Hikaru who pointed a finger back at him.

"Shut it, Pyro-kohai! You're living in MY apartment, FOR FREE! My house, my rules."

"Actually the land lord owns the place and she'll be ticked that you let the roaches back in, Sempai." Naruto commented dryly while petting Angel. The cat purred on his lap, enjoying the attention.

"Only if you tell her, my sweet little kohai. You wouldn't sell out your favorite sempai, would you?"

"Of course I would." Naruto replied bluntly. Deidara cackled as Hikaru deflated.

"My own kohai would sell me out to the devil. Comradery my ass." He paused for effect. "Though if I was kicked out of my apartment I'd have to bunk with you, my sweet little kohai. And as Deidara here is attached to me for his probation, you'd have two new roommates!"

"…Your secret is safe with me, sempai. So, Deidara" Naruto turns towards the teenager he helped capture, "Why did you join Konoha?"
"No expectations, un. I'm considered a 'prodigy' in Iwa, and you two know how that is, both in ANBU so young." Hikaru and Naruto looked at eachother then back to the older blonde.

"Nope."

"Not a clue." Naruto shrugged. "I graduated just a few months ago and went straight into ANBU. The village actually doesn't really know I graduated and the lower level ninja believe I'm a paper pusher of a ninja."

"And I'm a Hyuga"

"Barely" Naruto coughed jokingly. Hikaru huffed but continued.

"and Hyuga don't use ninjutsu, only chakra enhanced taijutsu. I'm an expert at both and my medical ninjutsu is becoming noteworthy among the ANBU ranks. Even though I graduated early, I'm considered a failure by the clan for breaking tradition." Deidara whipped off his mask and stared at the duo in shock.

"What kind of village is Konoha, un?! Plus, all I hear about is the 'Uchiha prodigy', 'Hatake genius' and that cousin of yours!"

"Eh, the village pays attention to very few 'prodigies' but that's how Konoha stays on top. A fair amount of shinobi graduate early and enter ANBU relatively young, but we only promote a few at the chunin exams. The rest of us just quietly advance in field promotions and serve our village. It works out for everyone, as this way Konoha is stronger than it appears and the attention hogs get their glory amongst the nobles. I know I'd hate all the attention, right, chibi-kohai?"

"Er, sure, sempai. But he's right. I'm a clan less orphan so I'm not a good choice to bring in revenue. Hikaru may work but his status as a main branch Hyuga that uses other forms of the ninja arts would shame his family." Naruto left out his status as Konoha's Jinchuuriki and his heritage; Deidara wasn't privileged to that information yet.

"Un, that makes sense, I guess. But hey, if Roach-teme specializes in Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, and Medical jutsu, what are you good for?"

"Fuinjutsu, my little kohai could whip anyone in ANBU- except Dragon-sama, of course- at Fuinjutsu, and his traps are in the top six"

"Five. I took fifth last month, Sempai, remember? You used it as an excuse to 'celebrate' at a bar."

"Tsk, details. Anyway, he's also almost passible at ninjutsu and genjutsu."

"That shunshin was terrifying, un. You managed six in a row without handseals! You must have spent a long time mastering it, un." Naruto shook his head.

"Actually it isn't mastered yet. Dragon-sama told me about the legendary 'Shisui Uchiha' who was so amazing he could make after images using a combination of speed and genjutsu, which I'm not ready for. He says until I can use the shunshin faster than him I would be no match for the legend of Shisui."

"I remember learning about him, un! Iwa spoke of how deadly he was with just his Sharingan and basic jutsu! I admired how he always used simple jutsu to make a lot of destruction, un." After that the two blondes launched into an avid discussion over how amazing the 'dead' legend was compared to other famous shinobi.

Meanwhile Hikaru and Angel just rolled their eyes.

"Think they'll finish before we give our report?" Hikaru ask the hell cat who had moved to his lap.

"No, Naruto is obsessed with this 'Shisui' guy ever since Dragon told us about all his unclassified missions, including ones Dragon went on with him."

"Wait! Your name is Naruto, un?" Deidara interjected after catching Angel's reply. Naruto nodded a bit proudly, always impressed with his name's meaning of 'Maelstrom'. Deidara started laughing. "Oh, this is rich! Your name is 'FISHCAKE'?! Wait, and you use seals…I got it! FUINJUTSU FISHCAKE! That's your nickname now!" Naruto face faulted at the reaction and Hikaru howled.

"Y-you k-k-know, it actually suits you" The Hyuga managed between chuckles.

"Yeah, Naruto, Akira would love to hear about this!" Angel agreed. Naruto was in too much shock to retort.

Inside the seal, Kurama was collapsed on the ground.

'Fuinjutsu Fishcake! Hahahah, I'll have to remember that one!'

Konoha, later…

"So you killed the Root agents, but not before burning a sizable chunk of the forest and letting Deidara blow up their bridge for one grunt? Am I hearing this right?" Sarutobi asked in disbelief. The ANBU stood ramrod straight as he recounted their report. When all three sheepishly nodded the aged ruler dropped his head in his hands. "Fine, just...tell me they don't suspect Konoha?"

"I already had some henged clones pass on a rumor about bandits using explosives on the bridge. We should be receiving a missions request within a few days, Hokage-sama" Naruto spoke up. Sarutobi sighed a bit in relief.

"Very well. Mouse, if you could reseal Fox's chakra? And Ro is scheduled to be back together starting tomorrow. Tenzo wants you three at HQ at six pm tomorrow. Dismissed." All three bowed and left in shunshin. Instantly a familiar chuckle came from the shadows. "You can stop laughing."

"No, I don't think I can! Putting those two together was perfect- once Fox learns control. And Mouse? He'll do fine."

"Yes, Naruto is growing up. Shisui…I'm old."

"No, not this again" The commander groaned.

"Yes, this again! You- you caused this! All this paperwork, even my clones can't keep up."

"I don't care"

"So I've decided"

"Not listening!" Shisui covered his ears.

"That after the chunin exams you'll be my successor."

"Oh hell no, Hiruzen! Not a chance."

"You're taking the hat after the exams" Sarutobi insisted.

"No thanks, I prefer action over politics, oh King of Desk Jobs."

"Just think of how much more you can mess with the ninja as the Hokage."

"…give me the hat, old man" He says, holding his hand out. Sarutobi sweat dropped.

"Er, not until we kill Orochimaru and Danzo."

With Naruto…

The three ANBU were sitting around a booth in the 'Bent Kunai', Hikaru's favorite spot for current/retired ANBU. While they ate, Naruto worked on the chakra smoke tags due for the month.

"Yo, Fuinjutsu Fishcake; What're you doing now?" Deidara enquired with a skewer in his mouth. Naruto sent a slight glare while various ANBU from other squads hid their amusement but promising themselves to tease the younger blonde later.

"First off, I'm technically your sempai, so call me Naruto when off duty and Mouse while on duty. Second, it's chakra smoke tags, though I'll fill them up tonight. Basically they create a cloud of chakra that messes with even sensors. I fill them with my shadow clones."

"Hn, how can you make so many? I use these 'shadow clones' some times and they eat up a bunch of chakra. No one your age would be have that much chakra unless…you're the Jinchuuriki, aren't you!" Deidara pointed at him. The room grew tense as the shinobi prepared to either kill Deidara or hold Naruto off depending on how it played out.

"…Yes. Though how did Iwa know?" Naruto asked tersely.

"Eh, no one believed the kyubi died. It's cool, I was friends with Roshi, one of our Jinchuuriki. But this means you could use the 'exploding shadow clones'! I use them for my art- clones that EXPLODE! You could help show the world that art is an" He was cut off by Hikaru covering his mouth. Naruto just sat deep in thought.

Exploding shadow clones? That sounds interesting…

Your mother used that jutsu many times on the battle field. Kurama said. I remember how she did it…

Oh? Please show me! Please, please. Naruto begged. Kurama eye rolled at the mental puppy dog eyes.

Sure.

Wait, really?

No.

Hikaru and Deidara could only watch in mild concern when their masked friend started cursing about 'stingy foxes' taking 'away his fun.'

Next morning…

"Mouse, what are you doing here this early?" Ferret grumbled at the sight of the blonde ANBU in the five am light.

"Sorry, Ferret-sempai, but my neighbor Guy would no doubt make me join him in his 'youthful' workout and Yakumo-chan mentioned once she wanted to paint the mountain view in the morning light. Perhaps I could escort her until noon?" Naruto asked with a slight beg. Ferret perked up at the question; if Naruto wanted to take the brat for a few hours, he could go back to sleep. With a hidden grin he nodded.

"I'll allow it. Just keep her safe, Mouse. Ja ne" the honey colored ANBU disappeared back towards his room. Naruto turned to Yakumo's room in time to see the glaring girl peeping out.

"You didn't come." She accused. Naruto chuckled nervously.

"Sorry, sorry. I got an emergency mission, see, but I sent a note."

"Yes, what a rude summons that was. You're taking me to go paint, though?"

"Yep, so grab your paints! I even have some ramen for lunch, and" Naruto couldn't finish before being dragged by Yakumo, her paint bag already slung over her shoulder.

Three hours later the pair drank green tea amongst several bowls of ramen.

"…I see you like ramen more each time I have it" Naruto commented. Yakumo puffed her cheeks.

"N-no. It's acceptable like I said last time. But anyways… is Jiraiya of the sannin really a pervert who writes smut?" Over the last several letters Naruto had filled Yakumo in on some of his life, including meeting the self proclaimed 'super pervert.'

"Oh yes. You know those 'Icha Icha' books?" Yakumo nods suspiciously.

"Yeah, Ferret and the medics read them when they think I'm not looking. They always giggle too."

"Well he writes them. They're filled with sex and other gross stuff. I don't know why so many adults like reading them." Yakumo shrugs.

"Adults are weird…hey, you're good with seals, aren't you?" She asked after a moment.

"Well, not that great, but I am a solid level four; I got tested right before my last mission. At this rate I'll be a level five before the chunin exams end." Naruto stated proudly. "But why?"

"Um…I have a seal on me. Could you…look at it?" Yakumo rubbed her neck self consciously. Naruto cocked his head.

"I guess. Let me see" Yakumo pulled her neckline down allowing Naruto to examine it. He sucked in a breath.

Such shoddy work. Who put this on her?

I'm not sure but that's what's holding back her Id.

You keep saying 'Id', ever since our guard mission here. What is an 'Id'?

…It's a lot like your dark side but has its own chakra and separate form. I don't know why she has one but messing with that seal before we can find out how to destroy it would be unwise.

Naruto bit his lip as Yakumo radiated hope. "Yakumo-chan…I can't remove it." The girl deflated under him. "But, I'll talk to Jiraiya-sama soon and see what he can do. Maybe we can"

"No! They're all the same! Everyone but you wants me helpless." She insisted, shaking her head violently. Naruto held up a hand.

"Why do you think everyone is out to get you? Maybe if I knew I could help?"

"No, You'll side with the Hokage! I don't even know your name, whose to say you aren't his spy?" A pregnant pause followed.

"Naruto. My name's Naruto, and though I'm loyal to the Hokage, I can still help."

"…It all started last year, when I was assigned Kuranai Yuhi as my private tutor. I was always sickly but I wanted to be a ninja, to make my parents proud…"

Jonin lounge, two hours later…

Naruto stormed in to the ANBU/jonin lounge with a dark aura. Yakumo finished her tale before passing out, and Naruto dropped her off early, and then set out to have a 'chat' with Kuranai.

Trying to seal a figment of a personality with such a horribly written seal! What arrogance!

Kurama growled in agreement.

I don't even like humans and I find it cruel. An Id must be faced to be beaten, sealing it away erodes on her body and mind.

What are the side effects?
If taken off within a few months the girl will be fine. If left on for much longer than that she'll be taken over by the Id before falling into a never ending coma.

Damn Kuranai. I'm not sure about the Hokage bit, but Kuranai should have had Dragon-sama or the Hokage perform the sealing. Better yet, they should have helped her face it. Though I doubt they knew anything about this Id.

Kuranai sat in a meeting with the other rookie sensei and Hawk, who had aided in training the genin extensively. Taking off his Mouse mask Naruto cleared his throat, gaining the table's attention.

"Hey, Naruto, here for the meeting? You did help in training team seven, right?" Hawk greeted. Naruto gave Gama's captain a curt nod.

"I did train team seven at times, captain Hawk, but that isn't why I'm here. Kuranai, I need to speak with you."

"Oh? What about?" She asked with a raised eye, gaining a fresh glare.

"It's about Yakumo."

"H-how did you"

"She's my friend" he said, "And she wanted me to look at a seal…a very poorly done one at that." Kuranai flinched while Asuma took a drag on his cigarette.

"Maa, Naruto, calm down" Kakashi tried to sound calm as Naruto's chakra started becoming visible.

"No, sempai, her 'solution' to Yakumo's problem is hurting her!" At this Kuranai gasped.

"Hurting her? No, I sealed away her abilities to save her."

"Well it isn't working"

Calm down. An almost intelligent human said 'you catch more bees with honey. Keep acting up and they'll stop you from seeing the girl altogether. Naruto gave some mental thanks before taking a deep breath.

"Sigh, I have to meet up with my team in a few hours. I'll schedule a meeting with the Hokage soon, where maybe I can figure out how to help Yakumo. Until then…I apologize for my disrespect." The blonde ANBU bowed stiffly and used a shunshin out, not wanting his anger to overtake him. He'd been so ready to yell at Kuranai Yuhi but his rational side took over; If Naruto wanted to save Yakumo he'd have to proceed cautiously, as her files were apparently on the same level of secrecy as his own. Deciding killing some trees with jutsu would calm him Naruto set off towards the training grounds.

The jonin watched their young comrade leave with sympathy; Kuranai's decisions regarding her first student had garnered more than a few disapproving looks in the jonin circles and if Naruto was right…

"I didn't know" the genjutsu mistress whispered before getting up. "Excuse me, I have to go." Asuma followed as she fled, leaving an awkward duo of Kakashi and Hawk behind.

"So, Kuro, how's the girlfriend?" Kakashi tried when the silence stretched on. Hawk looked impassively from his mask and captain cloak.

"We broke up, sempai. I am in uniform, so please use my code name."

"Not a chance, Kuro. After all, I AM the one who trained you in beginning traps." Kakashi eye smiled.

"Tsk, and I've surpassed you, lazy bastard."

"Hmph, at least I didn't break up with my girlfriend." Kakashi chided.

"Well at least I've had a girlfriend to break up with!"

"Maa, details, details." Kakashi waved his old ANBU friend away and began reading his book again.

Naruto's apartment…

"AIII!" Deidara's screams filled the apartment complex, and Hikaru's soon followed. Both were pinned to the walls with kunai and seals. Angel hissed at them, not amused at being woken up from a nap.

"What are you doing here?!" She ordered. "Naruto isn't home so no body should come in."

"Eh, Angel, nice to see ya! We just need to borrow some money from chibi-kohai; think you could let us down?" Hikaru begged.

"Let me guess- you spent all your rent money on a bar again?" Naruto's annoyed voice echoed from the doorway.

"Hey, chibi-kohai, you know us so well. So, how about it? Help a sempai out"

"Yeah, un! Fuinjutsu Fishcake, show that Konoha comradery".

"Please, chibi-kohai…wait, why is a smaller chibi here?"

Standing next to Naruto was a cowering child, looking very out of place. The blonde's eye twitched as he unhooked his armor and sealed it.

"This is Momo, and she's my guest, and yes, I'll add it to your never ending tab." Here Naruto kneeled down and looked at Momo kindly. "Momo-chan, why don't you go sit down at the table? I'll bring you some tea and help you with your seals."

"Will Jiraiya-sama be here soon? I finished the first book last week and want to show him!" Momo asked shyly. Naruto ruffled her hair.

"I sent a clone to his…spot; I'm sure he'll be here soon." The girl nodded and went to the coffee table, staring at the two attached to the wall.

"Now, as for you two" They gulped but Naruto just made several signs, causing the kunai to poof away and them to collapse on the floor. Then he summoned several of his panthers. "My elder summons enjoy a good brush down but I'm too busy right now. Habiki-sama here will instruct you in how to properly do it in my stead."

"But we have a meeting with Ro soon, Naruto!" Hikaru whined.

"Yeah, un, and brushing cats is so un bang worthy, un" Deidara added.

"Then I suggest you get going, sempai!" Naruto said cheerful. Habiki snorted too and settled himself on Hikaru's head.

"Come, young one; my fur was knotted during my last mission." With looks of betrayal they leave, Momo quietly watching.

"Ne, Naruto-sempai, why are you in ANBU anyway? A lot of kids say you failed out and I remember you being a lot…louder in the academy."

"Well, it's a long story for another day. But you're only nine or ten; why are you in the final years class?" Setting down some prepared tea Naruto took out his level two, part one fuinjutsu book.

"…I'm a civilian, no known ninjas, and my father died last year on a business trip. My mother works hard, but the sooner I graduate the sooner I can start earning some income."

"That's fair, but why do you really want Jiraiya-sama here? And why were you wandering the training grounds? You're lucky I found you and not some other ninja; most would report you as anyone below genin aren't allowed on them. You could have jeopardized your advancement." Naruto didn't mention the fact he had often traversed the normal training grounds at a young age without repercussions; as a Jinchuuriki normal rules didn't apply to him that often.

"I…IwantJiraiyatotakemeashisapprentice!" She rushed out her words.

"Eh?"

"I said, I want Jiraiya-sama to take me on as his apprentice. He's the best at fuinjutsu, and I don't have a clan or the money to pay for more jutsu. To learn from Jiraiya-sama would set me apart, and I could fulfill my dream and become a fuinjutsu master" Momo's voice took a star struck look. Naruto rubbed the back of his head.

"Heh, I'm glad you have a dream, but looking on a training ground wasn't the best option to locate the man. He doesn't really train in the normal grounds. Luckily though, like I told you when I found you, I know Jiraiya-sama personally; when he get's here I'll put a good word in for you."

"Really?!"

"Yes, really; us fuinjutsu users have to stick together, ne?" He held out a hand and Momo took it in a shake.

"Oi, gaki! What's the big idea, making a clone pull me away from my research?" Jiraiya's loud voice boomed from the window. Naruto just raised an eye brow. "And Momo? What are you doing here?"

"I uh, I finished the first book, Jiraiya-sama." Momo said meekly, not catching the gob smacked look on the toad sage's face at the thought of the nine year old blasting through the first level. Naruto smirked.

"I guess you have a summoner candidate, eh?"

Deep within Rice…

"So Konoha suspects nothing?" A slithering voice chuckles from the darkness. "Kukuku. Kabuto is certainly useful. Kimimaro, let us depart; we have a meeting with the Kazekage."

"As you wish, Orochimaru-sama; is it time?" A pale and sickly teen went to the missing ninja's side.

"Kukukuku, yes, the time has come; Iwa's backing would have been preferred but my minions with Suna will be enough to crush the incompetent Konoha."

"Konoha shall fall by your hand, Orochimaru-sama."

Underneath Konoha…

"Fuu and Torune, there seals dissipated yesterday… without them Root is weakened" Danzo mused, looking at his scroll that had all his agents' trackers. "Further more I have no idea how they died. Damn, Hiruzen. Tell me, what is the status on Kabuto?" The Root in front of him had no inflection as they answered.

"The spy has been given false information, believing Konoha has no knowledge of the invasion or their alliance. He was also given the altered security plans, which showed Konoha as weak and ineffective."

"Excellent; We'll use Orochimaru to kill Hiruzen if need be, and that elusive commander of his; any word on his identity?"

"No, Danzo-sama, but we will keep looking."

"Do so. Dismissed" the war hawk finished dismissively and the agent left. "Sai, report on the Uchiha."

"Yes, Danzo-sama."

Everything would go as planned, and both Konoha and the Jinchuuriki would be in his grasps. If only the nagging feeling he had about Sai would stop.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

748 29 10
This story is a continuation of the original Numbers on katreadz. I am the same person, just wanted to let you guys know that chapters 1-14 are on th...
34.2K 869 29
[IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO READ THIS STORY, PLEASE REFRAIN BECAUSE I WILL BE REVISING (OR EITHER REBOOTING) IT TO A NEW STORY, BUT DON'T WORRY, KEY POIN...
166K 7.4K 142
Basically the amazing gamer fic from Adrian King1 On fanfiction.net I posted it here cause I really like it and don't want to ever forget it , also...