Midnight Neighbor | 18+

By akawaiiisan

♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People h... More

|| summary ||
0|| Disclaimer
1|| You're like, ancient Soph
2|| Negligence
3|| Unaware
4|| Her ignorance
5|| Familiar
6|| A Shocker
7|| Disbelief
8|| It will end in tears
9|| Realization
10|| Game
11|| Olivia
12||Harrassment and Assault
13|| Fail Safe Plan
14|| Risky
15||For his Sanity
16|| Conflicted
17|| Overreaching
18|| Shameless
19|| Blessing
20|| Undercurrents
21|| A Memorable Night
22|| Only for you
23|| Drive you wild
24|| Behind The Scenes
25|| Starved
26|| Much too Impulsive
27|| Interrogation at its Finest
28|| Dangerous urges
29|| Insatiable
30|| Snake (part 1)
30|| Snake (part 2)
31|| Unease
32|| Honesty
33|| Assumptions
34|| Bad Memories
35|| Who is that Woman
36|| His Persistence
37|| Unforseen Changes
38|| Banter
39|| Burning Curiosity
40|| Petrified
41|| Undercurrents Flow Once Again
42|| Unbelievable
43|| Oversight
44|| A Small glimpse is Enough
45|| Recklessness
46|| Show me
48|| Say it
49|| Exposed
50|| First Impressions Last
51|| Two Truths and a Lie
52|| Always Two Steps Ahead
53|| Silent Wars
54|| Then comes the Fall
55|| A Gift
56|| Contempt
57|| Hurt people
58|| Importance
59|| Quite the Scare
60|| Making Plans
61|| Her Dominance -Shortlived
62|| Angst
63|| Theft of Joy
64|| Uncertainties
65|| Under Pressure
66||Miranda
67|| Motherly Woes
68|| Blame
69|| Bittersweet
70|| Priorities
71|| Art of Gathering Information
72||Cater to You
73|| Keep a Secret
74|| Love so Pure
||Content With You {MN extras 1/?}
||Content With You {MN extras 2/?}
|| Her neighbor {MN extra 1/?}

47|| Accidents and Confrontations

10.9K 487 434
By akawaiiisan

Unedited~
• • •

Time soon flew by and only a few hours later, Sophia found herself sitting on the comfortable seats of the outside gazebo. She sat there partially stiffly, trying to not let her bone tiredness and fatigue known to the world. In her mind, she made sure to criticize Elijah down to his last detail. She had the chance to do it now because that...man wouldn't even give her a second to breathe or speak.

Her legs were hiked up on the comfortable and spacious chair she sat in and she stared forward, keeping herself busy otherwise.

As gracefully as she could, she reached forward to grab the cup of warm tea that Garcia had generously prepared for herself including other drinks for her company. Her 'company' being the man and woman who sat at the same gazebo table and hadn't stop looking around not even once. Their eyes were mystified. Sophia had that same reaction so she simply left it as it is. Who on earth wouldn't be?

On the other hand. She didn't know what Elijah's problem was. Not only was he suddenly stuck to her hip, his displeasure at her seeing her friends was barely hidden, in fact. Sophia knew he'd rather her not leave at all for some reason and for the time being. She wanted to be mad at the man who effortlessly got his way and prevented her from going out but after a deep sigh, she let it go with a clear head and conscience.

Sophia didn't know where this sudden streak of over protectiveness came from and she had a lot of questions to grill him with later tonight.

In the end, because of her growing silence, he finally relented and made a small compromise, agreeing to bring them here instead. Truthfully, Sophia didn't think that'd get him off the hook but she didn't argue against it either. Unfortunately she was still worn out because of him. Plus...the one person who was happiest about this conclusion was Garcia who immediately became enthusiastic and overjoyed at the thought of having 'guests'.

Sophia took a long sip of tea and stiffly placed it back down on the saucer hoping to hell both Kayla and Seong didn't notice her actions to start teasing her. The day was not suitable for tea at all but for reasons unknown, Garcia prepared this calming tea for her while Kayla and Seong got cold colorful carbonated drinks.

And speaking of those two, they didn't even take a bit of snack or drink since they got here. Their eyes looked with great interest at the pretty garden surrounding them and then back at the large house that Sophia admitted looked way bigger on the outside.

Garcia always referred to it as Elijah's house and home but Sophia thought it would really be more fitting to call it a fucking mansion. Sophia was 100% sure she'd never stop being blown away by everything she slowly discovered on his side. It was one thing to have a idea but completely different to see it in real life.

No one really started up a conversation yet. Kayla must've seen a lot of environments like this one so she only looked around with a bit of interest. She paid less attention to the house and paid more to this being 'Mr Osoro's' home that she finally had a chance to see up close and in real life. Seong however looked just like Sophia on her first time.

While they marveled at the place. Sophia began thinking... she couldn't shake the feeling that something felt odd.

She just couldn't pinpoint what.

The silence around them was comfortable...at least in Sophia's opinion but that silence was also weird. She was much too used to Kayla's hyperactive and pushyness so both of them sitting quietly and calmly made her feel weird somewhat.

Sophia looked around but didn't spot the eyes of anyone peeking on their small gathering. After crossing that variable out, Sophia's eyes zeroed in on both Seong and Kayla. Both spoke once a long while and on different intervals but they were definitely a lot quieter than usual. Sophia perked up, realizing they were responsible. Their oddity drew her full attention.

"Oh hell...I'd die for a tour of this place." Seong spoke randomly, his eyes elsewhere. "Oh my...Um..real roses."

"I was a bit iffy on coming here but now I see, if I was somewhere like this...I wouldn't want to leave either-"

"This is actually amazing Sophia, I'm so happy for you-"

Both of them spoke randomly, like NPCs  and made no effort to hold a long conversation. Sophia sighed internally and gave up on replying while they were like this. She leaned back and it became a task to spot the different.

She lifted her tea again for another drink but kept her eyes on both if them in heavy scrutiny. The funniest part was that their eyes were averted so they didn't even notice her building suspicions.

After a few long minutes went by, Sophia froze and both of her eyebrows went upwards.

So thats what it was...

She looked towards where Seong sat then towards Kayla and finally the large, two chairs wide space inbetween both of them. Her detective senses were tingling. Normally they'd sit next to each other and not even a second would pass without someone pickung on the other. Not only that...they tried to hide it by looking at the garden and house but Sophia found the real reason. They were avoiding each other's and Sophia's gaze. And when they spoke, their conversations were never directed at the other, only her.

It was odd.

"Hey can you pass me a biscuit?" Sophia coughed and asked randomly.

Both were still looking elsewhere but still simultaneously reached forward to the tray. Sophia's eyebrows flew upwards as their hands touched, only for a second but both pulled away as if they got burnt.

Kayla looked alarmed but she coughed and recovered quickly, grabbing a biscuit and nearly throwing it at Sophia who caught it but barely. Sophia looked down at the biscuit and a prolonged second of pregnant silence surrounded them. She then looked up and unsurprisingly, both of them were avoiding her gaze.

She even saw a bead of sweat forming and had to hold back her laugh.

Sophia stayed like this only for a moment longer, alternating their gazes towards both before saying the first guess that popped up into her mind.

"Hey...did y'all fuck?"

Seong was the first to respond, -no, he simply froze then collapsed face first into the table infront of him, looking dispirited, like a ballon that got deflated.

Kayla however slapped her hands over her face with the tiniest shriek. "Oh God! Is it that obvious!?"

Sophia coughed loudly and nearly choked on the small bite she took from the biscuit. She carefully swallowed then took heavy breaths grabbing for her tea to wash it down. If her legs weren't weak from Elijah's earlier 'torment', she'd have ran around with a scream.

"Holy shit-!" Sophia forced out as she placed the cup down. Staring at the two with wide eyes. "I didn't-! I was just making a random guess!" She choked out the words and that much was true. If they denied her first guess she planned to ask if they had a fight and then she'd move on something else if they denied that too.

Her eyes filtered in between the two as she blinked. In actuality, there was always a special tension floating around them, Sophia just didn't think they'd take that final step. It wasn't very surprising but at the same time, it was!

"I knew this would happen," Seong murmered in the smallest voice, head still on the table.

"Um...no offence but if y'all were trying to hide it, that was absolutely the shittiest attempt," Sophia empathized abd made sure to hide her incredulous laugh. She later dropped her feet onto the ground slowly and leaning back, crossing her arms over the other.

Both replied with a groan.

The longer Sophia watched them the more curious she got. She leaned forward with great interest, unable to hold herself back from belting out a long string of questions. "How? How long ago? How'd it even happen? How was it? Kayla don't hold out on me now-!"

"It was an accident, I swear," Seong moaned dispiritedly.

"I can vouch-" Kayla added, "We maybe... might've...somehow had a little bit too much to drink...that night..."

Sophia sat up straight, "Nuh uh! Don't lie now, that had to be a whole lot-!"

Kayla covered her face again, "Let me live please."

"Was it a second bottle of Tequila? The first? A strong mixture? Nightclub bar?" Sophia covered her mouth with her hand to hide her smile. There were very few opportunities to tease Kayla like this.

"Shut up its not my fault, I get really horny when I drink and he just happened to be there you know-! All night-"

"All night-?" Sophia repeated with a gasp.

"Hey!" Seong looked up with quickness, lifting his head off the table, "-I thought you said you couldn't remember anything!"

"Ah shit," Kayla immediately got up, pushing her chair back with a loud screech, "leave me alone-!"

Sophia watched the two while barely holding her own laughter. Their awkwardness from before was slowly dissipating and she could bet they didn't even realize. Both started arguing back and forth like they normally would but this time Sophia could most definitely feel that it was filled with unacknowledged tension.

She went to drink her tea only to sigh after realizing it was done.

Her eyes immediately spotted one of the two cold drinks infront of her and Sophia smiled. "Yo, I need a drink-" She ignored the stiffness in her muscles and reached forward only to pause as she heard the sounds of hurried footsteps. In seconds someone immediately grabbed her hand.

Sophia nearly jumped out of her skin then calmed afterwards after seeing that it was only Garcia. She then tensed up all over again because she couldn't for the life of her recall how the lady got this close so quickly.

Garcia shook her head and placed another cup off her tray after taking Sophia's empty tea cup. "Oh honey...you don't want that, soda is very unhealthy-"

Garcia winked and left, leaving Sophia in mild confusion.

The drink she got now was equally cool but tasted like a blend of fruits after she drank it. Sophia was seconds into questioning it but pushed the topic to the back of her mind when Kayla angrily made her way back, followed by a flustered Seong.

"Let's handle this like adults Kayla!" He continued as she heavily sat down.

"Handle what? I have no clue what you're talking about-"

Seong made a disgruntled sound and his gaze went straight to Sophia, "It's been like this for two whole days Sophia-!"

Sophia only felt pity. He looked frustrated if anything. Kayla was stubbornly sitting, now taking huge gulps of her drink.

"I...I hope both of you used protection at least?" Sophia offered in the smallest voice, hiding her smile.

"Oh come on, please don't laugh-!"

Sophia gasped loudly, "I swear I'm not! It's the light-" her shoulders shook as she kept her eyes down.

"Stop disturbing the peace Seong," Kayla coughed out, "it was only a bit of fun."

Seong looked ready to deny it but Kayla cut him off quickly, "-Plus look at Sophia, I bet that man of hers knocked the sonic coins out of her back, so let's not draw this out longer than needed! Think about Sophia, Seong, she's tired."

Sophia gasped loudly, her gaze snapping back to both of them, "Hey this isn't about me, this is about you two!"

Kayla ignored her protest, "-Lets just... talk for a bit then leave because I do not want to upset the tiger on his own territory, keeping his little Sophie away for too long," Kayla winked.

Sophia shook her head with vigor, "-But I want to hear all the details..."

Kayla grinned, "See, consider this payback, you never dropped any steamy details either so-"

"Can we be serious for a second?" Seong asked from somewhere in the background.

"Can you shut up for a second?" Kayla was quick to retort.

Seong frowned deeply in response, "Okay crybaby."

Kayla went still, nearly deathly so then stiffy turned to him as if her joints were rusty and needed oil, "For the last time I was sweating! Not crying-!"

The tiniest smirk formed on Seong's lips and he raised an eyebrow, "Oh...? But I thought you couldn't remember anything that happened?"

Kayla glared at him in that same breath while Sophia's face twitched. She was still not used to this at all with her two best friends. It felt like watching your parent's flirt. She snickered to herself, snapping them out of whatever moment they just sunk into.

Kayla sighed loudly, turning away from him with her whole body. "You-! You're done."

"And you," her gaze zeroed in on Sophia, "-I just wanted to check up on you so let's get it over with, I got places to be," she muttered sourly before becoming serious all of a sudden. Sophia tried to also be serious but it took a while.

"I get you, okay okay," Sophia huffed out, "But don't think this is over."

"Ugh whatever you say," Kayla rolled her eyes, "Me personally? I just wanted to see you, you're okay here right?"

"Oh yeah..." Seong immediately perked up, "-your...um... stonefaced boyfriend told us not to worry about it but it's been on our mind ever since-" Seong spoke in a sudden low tone. His eyes then quickly looked around like usual, seemingly afraid that Elijah would sneak up on him.

Hearing this, Sophia paused with her eyebrows furrowing. She suddenly got serious.

What were they talking about?

Seeing her confusion both exchanged glances, "Sophia, are you alright?"

She nodded, albeit slowly, "Yes...why wouldn't I be?"

Kayla breathed a sigh, "Oh good, 'cause I swear...I was seconds away from catching a body that night."

"Not as much as her man was though," Seong muttered pensively.

Sophia's confusion melted into suspicion, "Are you talking about Elijah?"

He nodded, "Yeah, who else?"

Sophia didn't know what to do with that information. She stared at both of them. "Guys...I'm not following," She replied after a bit of complication. They spoke in parables and the entire thing somehow felt like a puzzle. One big puzzle with all the main pieces missing.

"Oh its-"

"No, wait," Kayla interrupted Seong, her gaze was focused on Sophia now, "-can't you remember anything from the afterparty?"

Sophia thought long and hard then hesitated some more before finally replying, "I...no, maybe I drank too much, it's all hazy."

Both of them looked surprised at this revelation. The look of alarm they shared didn't go unnoticed by Sophia either. She sat up with some interest.

"See I knew something was up cause theres no fucking way Sophia would-!" Seong cut himself off with another curse then stood up, he looked unsettled.

Sophia didn't know what to make of this reaction. Okay so maybe she really did something wrong that night? The thought made her heart sink to the pit of her stomach. She suddenly felt slow and even worse, she couldn't recall whatever it was either.

Noticing her sudden growing restlessness, Kayla reached over and caught her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, "It's not your fault, Sophia. What happened was...Seong and I was hanging out on the higher level that night and spotted you leaving with..." she trailed off, as if she had some difficulty saying whatever came next, "...Ethan."

The moment the last word left her lips. Sophia swore a sound similar to thunder went off near her ears, making her ears ring for a few seconds. She blinked unable to mask her own shock and surprise.

"Ethan!?" She sat up straight with that yell, "wait! -No fucking way!"

"Sophia..."

"Please tell me you're joking," Sophia continued, shaking her head, still in disbelief.

"I wish," Kayla shook her head solemnly, "Mr Osoro was close so we got to him as fast as we could. I know you'd rather eat glass than touch him so we knew something was up."

"-Your man told us not to worry about it though but it never left our minds," Seong spoke almost inaudibly.

"Yeah that's why I was calling, but you weren't answering either..."

Sophia couldn't understand, "Why would Elijah not tell me..." she looked around then it occurred to her...was that why he brought her here too?!

"We're not sure Sophia, we don't even know what happened afterwards but I'm sure if you asked him he'll explain it to-" Seong was cut off by a hand slapping over his.

He paused confused, then looked towards Kayla who had slapped him. She stiffly gestured with her head to a certain area in the garden not too far from the gazebo, still right on the untouched pavement.

Seong nearly choked on his heart that suddenly flew into his throat as he spotted a man silently standing under the shade there. Staring at him with a gaze that could make any man run for the hills. Seong quickly looked away. He didn't remember seeing anyone there before...Just when did Mr Osoro appear?!

He moved around like a God damn ghost!

Seong felt a touch of foreboding and grabbed Kayla's hand.

"Uh...Sophia, since we saw you and now we're sure that you're okay, we'll...excuse ourselves now. We'll see you in a bit..."

Kayla's gaze snapped back towards him, "Hey! Wait I wasn't-"

Seong quieted her with one look and got up, taking her with him. Kayla was still protesting as they said their quick goodbyes and did quick hugs before leaving the garden. Sophia watched them leave, silent in her own thoughts.

When the finally got out of the patch of well trimmed grass. Kayla immediately began putting up a fuss, "Hey-!"

"Don't complain...I think they really needed some time alone," Seong sighed.

Kayla paused then nodded. She looked like she understood but still wasn't very pleased by their quick getaway. After some seconds ran by, Kayla stilled and upon realizing how close Seong held her, her eyes went wide and she quickly tore out of his grip, looking away.

Seong only sighed. It was unfortunate but their close friendship had received a huge blow from their...slight mishap. That much was unavoidable, he'd be dumb to not see it coming.

They didn't have to walk for long before meeting a huge bear-like man on the compound waiting for them. They immediately recognized him by the frown etched deep into his face. That man was the driver that picked them up and took then here. It was because of him that they had some hesitance before getting in the car when he picked them up from their regular spot.

"The car's this way," He muttered gruffly and both quickly followed him without putting up any fuss.

It was only after they got in the car minutes later, Seong suddenly remembered something and cursed. He forgot to tell Sophia to check her emails. Uunfortunately, there was a huge reclassification inside their department and each individual got their reports.  He wasn't really impacted by it but the managers were heatedly discussing about whatever it was amongst themselves.

Seong sighed and chose to leave that issue for another day.

♤♡♤

When her company finally disappeared, Sophia kept staring at her drink. She looked lost but at the same time there was a rising complication in her eyes that got more noticable as time flew by. She made one final effort to try and remember that fateful night days before but once again. Nothing. It was as if she'd been unconscious the entire time. She only recalled getting separated then hounded by some people but after that it was hazy and  ultimately, nothing.

Like she wasn't conscious throughout the entirety of it.

Sophia was upset. She couldnt help it. Everything was not as okay as Elijah said and it left her thinking...If not for Seong and Kayla would she had even gotten the opportunity to know that Ethan was the sole person responsible for her situation?

Sophia frowned then turned to Elijah who had abandoned the place where he stood and was walking over with soundless steps.

She kept her eyes on him the entire time as she thought more to herself. When he finally stopped only a few feet away, Sophia turned to him. "Why..?" She trailed off, unable to find the right words for a short moment. "-Why didn't you tell me, no- what aren't you not telling me? Elijah?"

She tilted her head to the side, waiting for answer and when none came Sophia stood up. She marched right over to him, ignoring how tired she still felt.

Sophia stopped and stared up at him in those dark indecipherable eyes of his. Right now, when she needed him to be talkative, not a word made it's way out, in fact, he looked unfeeling, as if he'd rather not go over the entire thing. Sophia however, pressed on because it killed her to not know.

"Elijah, tell me." She demanded for the final time. He mustve heard their discussion or have even an idea of it. He knew what she referred to and it was something that included herself so it was well within her right to know.

He lied through his teeth on those nights before. He did so on more than one occasion, telling her to not worry about that night. Her calmness from before was disrupted now...How else should she feel after hearing her friend's explanations? Almost leaving with Ethan? Just the thought alone made a cold shiver run up her spine. She had to be out of it or else that bastard would've never gotten the opportunity.

She hadn't even known Ethan was that...kind of person.

Under Sophia's unmoving stare. Elijah finally cracked with a sigh. "Sophia..." his hand came up to touch her but Sophia swiftly dodged it. Why did he always want to have it his way? Even in moments like this.

"Do not coddle me Elijiah, I want to know." Sophia remained firm, and would do so until Elijah told her what she wanted to hear.

"It's that man," he began, "I don't know how it happened but..."

"Ethan?" Sophia's breath hitched. Of course, from the night began that man was like a thorn in her side.

"Yes Sophia," Elijah spoke in all seriousness, "He must've found a way...and put something in your drink somehow. He tried to take you away to hell knows wher-"

Sophia's expression fell. Yes, she had that exact suspicion but to hear that it happened out loud... It was startling.

Why would Ethan even go to that length...Sophia couldn't understand it and she couldn't help but feel violated.

Her eyes slid right back on Elijah after a while, her gaze was accusatory. Why on Earth would he not tell her this before? Sophia took a step back, just to have some room to breathe. "I don't understand..why didn't you tell me? Did you think I wouldn't want to know?"

Elijah shook his head with a small gesture, "Sophia no, I-"

"-Because, it sure as hell seems like it, Elijah." Sophia cut him off. "Did you think I wouldn't be able to handle this much? Am I that weak and fragile in your eyes?" She stared at him in disbelief, her vision was slowly but surely becoming hazy.

Elijah took a step forward and Sophia took another one back. She wanted to remain firm and if he got even closer, she feared she'd collapse entirely. Sophia wanted to believe he had a good reason but the much larger part was horrified after learning about what truly happened.

"I work with a...my supervisor is a sicko who drugged me," Sophia's expression showed just how much she struggled to get that sentence out, "-at that party, don't you think I need to be prepared? To know to avoid him next time?"

"No Sophia," Elijah slowly replied in a calm tone that left her surprised, "-because there won't be a next time-"

"Really?" Sophia laughed out incredulously, tilting her head to the side, "Is that why you have me here?! Everyday? Is this supposed to be a distraction? I have a life, Elijah, it's a work week but I'm here. I feel tired, I'm unproductive, I'm not suitable for my position anymore, I'm so horrible at things I usually do without effort and now I find out that my fucking supervisor is a fucking-"

"That's not true and that's not what I meant, Sophia. I don't think you are fragile, or weak either, I just..." he trailed off then frown. He looked upset and there was some anger and agitation hidden within the depths of his eyes.

"Then what is it," Sophia finished almost in a whisper, watching him.

Elijah took a step forward and Sophia was too frozen to move with him. "-It hurt me in more ways than one, seeing you like that, Sophia. To imagine what that...man would've attempted if I hadn't intervened when I did, the look on your face...I didn't like how the night ended, it really wasn't supposed to be that way and I didn't want you stressing over it or him as you are right now-" Elijah spoke slowly and seriously, kept his eyes on her as if to make sure she heard every word.

"-I don't know what he put in your drink and when you woke up like that, I just..." he sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair, "I thought it'd be better to not go over that horrid memory-"

Sophia stared at him as he spoke and when he was done she pursed her lips then frowned. "No, Elijah, you decided that on your own," Sophia looked away dejectedly, "-was this why you were so reluctant for me to meet my friends? Cause you knew there was a huge chance of them telling me about it?"

Elijah hesitated before answering.

Sophia didn't need to hear it. His hesitation was enough answer she needed. She huffed and turned away. Throwing up her hands in resignation. So that was his plan huh. Keep her unaware and distracted. It was nice of him to try but to Sophia, it felt more like it was all in an effort to soothe himself.

Sophia cursed at her own carelessness back then but at the same time she admonished herself and fought back the self blame. Ethan was always weird yes but how on earth could she have known he was that depraved and mental? She recalled her experience from her first day under him up to today and deep inside, her soul cringed and shriveled up into a ball. He wasn't ugly or that reproachable otherwise, why did he set his sights on her when anyone else in that office would more than welcome him?

The first time she saw him snap was at that party and that entire scene left a bad taste in her mouth. What other undesirable quirks was he hiding under his belt...? Since he seemed to have a personal vendetta...did he also have a hand in those office rumors?

Sophia's head began hurting as she thought about everything.

When she finally turned towards Elijah once again, he was frowning. The look in his eyes as he stared at her made her body go still for a short while.

"You're worrying, arent you?" He finally spoke. Sophia didn't know how to answer. How could she not worry? She spent her entire life building towards being comfortable after growing up in literal hell and just when she finally found that comfort and normalcy, it was all slowly slipping away. When last had she paused to take a breath of fresh air?

"Sophia," Elijah called her back to the present, "You...do you not trust me to handle it?"

"It's not that I don't its just-" Sophia quickly replied with a gesture, "you had me believing that everything was okay, when it wasn't."

"Everything is okay now Sophia," He began, taking another step forward but Sophia immediately frowned.

"Okay then...take me home."

Elijah froze in his tracks then seemingly began contemplating. "Its...it's not safe for you to be there anymore, you can't ask me to fucking-" he cut himself off, his expression was one of barely disguised pain, she held his gaze her heart thudding hard against her ribcage. -He later averted his eyes, just for a short moment before they were drawn right back towards hers, "This, Sophia, is the exact reason why I-" he paused again... as if looking for the right words.

"You know what, fuck that," he released a frustrated sigh, finaly closing the gap between their bodies. Sophia's personal space was invaded and before she could speak, Elijahs hands were gently holding her face, she had no other option but to stare into his dark brown, almost black eyes. His hair was in a disarray after he repeated ran his hand through it. "-I...care about you Sophia. I care about you so much that I'd rather you never finding out while it's being dealt with. I hate seeing you worry or stress and I never wanted to see anything close to that look on your face ever again. Isn't that enough? Why are you hellbent on avoiding me now?"

"I am not avoiding you-"

"Then why won't you let me hold you?"

Sophia paused, realizing she was still keeping a preferable amount of distance inbetween their bodies and her hands were holding onto his. She looked down at herself then at him, swallowing thickly.

"Elijah I-"

"You...still won't rely on me?" He stated mutely, eyebrows furrowed in question, "-even after so long, the times we spent together...in situations similar to this, you always push me away... do you not trust me, Sophia? Do you even care about me? Like I do for you?"

Sophia became lost for words. All the breath left her body in one fell swoop as the latter part of his words hit her. "Why would you think that?" Her voice was low and filled with disbelief.

"I don't know, Sophia...you aren't exactly open about how you feel either way," he lifted one hand to her chin, tilting her head upwards. "You're always so...I never can guess what's going on in that head of yours and right now it's no different, I assume you're somewhat tolerant...to be in my company like this but that's all I can think of. Will you start hating me? Because of this?"

Sophia stared up at him, there was no surety in his eyes. He looked tired, in the literal sense, like he had too much to say but only allowed a little to slip out. The dejectedness in is voice was new and in all honesty, it was startling.

Sophia opened her mouth to reply but found she didn't know how to at the moment. The thuds of her heart in her chest felt suffocating, as if the small organ had risen to her throat. Both of them stared at each other for a long while after that. Sophia shook her head and twisted out of his hand afterwards.

She felt guilty. She couldn't help it. Why on earth was she feeling guilty over this. Elijah was...impossible. Twisting the entire situation around like this. Sophia didn't know what to say. She stared at him wordlessly then straightened and turned to walk away. After making a few steps she stopped and turned right back atound. Elijah hadn't moved but he still looked a little defeated.

This was another issue entirely but Sophia didn't have it in her to leave without clearing out any misunderstandings. She liked Elijah, maybe even more than that and she didn't want him to remain thinking otherwise.

Sophia was flustered and still slightly annoyed as she marched towards him. She did so until she stood right infront and after a long sigh she released a bit of that pent up and growing feelings that had been burning a hole through her system since the previous days went by.

She wanted to stay mad at his omission of information but couldn't help that expressing herself in this way made her face burn and her face flush. The words tumbled out in a rush. "Elijah...I care about you...a lot, so much that it's almost scary," she swallowed thickly. "And it's all happening so fast..." she continued after a pause.

"-I need space away from you in situations like this because it's impossible for me to think straight and rationally when you're close." It felt like a dam had broken loose, from the first few words made thier way out, Sophia found that she could hardly stop the flood. Elijah's eyebrows rose a little and the look that suddenly flashed through his eyes spurred her on even more.

"-You're always so good to me, it'd be fucking crazy if I didn't start lov- I mean liking you somewhat," Sophia was startled and caught herself at last minute. That however, didn't stop her face from heating up like the inside of an active volcano. She was never open with her feelings like this, it was honestly a scary but refreshing experience.

Elijah did not allow that slip up to simply go by either. His entire body stilled and eyebrows furrowed for a second before he moved. Sophia nearly had the breath knocked completely out of her body as he pulled her into him, holding her tightly.

"Eli let me finish-!," Sophia groaned out, pushing against his chest. He did not listen and the sudden lightness in his eyes made Sophia even more breathless and thrown off topic.

"Do you love me? Sophia?"

Just like that, Sophia felt her knees turn to jello. The twinge that came from her heart made a shiver travel up her spine and throughout her entire body. Her eyes went wide. "H-hey! I'm mad at you right now! You can't umph-!"

Her yells were silenced by Elijah's lips and like clockwork, Sophia only struggled for another short while before she melted like a stick of butter under heat. Her hands lost its vigor and slid down his chest, getting caught in-between their bodies. Elijah's hands ran down her back and waist, hugging her smaller frame and nearly bringing her up onto her tip toes.

Their kiss lasted until Sophia was lost for breath and felt lightheaded. She forgot to breathe entirely. She nearly forgot why she was protesting but somehow, through her determination, she persevered under his relentless attack on her lips and body.

As his tongue swept into her mouth, Sophia bit down hard, forcing their kiss to an end. Elijah didn't seem as if he'd let her go otherwise.

Sophia was glaring up at him as they broke apart but Elijah looked nonplussed. He wasn't angry and didn't seem to care that a small droplet of blood lingered on his lips either. In fact, he was smiling and the carefree look in his eyes only multiplied that charm and edge.

This was probably the happiest Sophia ever saw him. Sophia had to quickly look away before she crumbled completely and started swooning. All this was because of one fucking slip up on her part. She felt aggrieved on the inside. She intended to tell him how she felt, yes, but not now. Right now, she wanted to be mad at him but his vibe was contagious. It completely disrupted her flow.

Sophia held her burning cheeks and  muttered scalding words under her breath. After staring at him one last time, she turned and began making her way back to the building, walking in a straight line on his perfectly manicured grass and ignoring the pavement. She wouldn't give him a chance or the opening to 'attack' her like that again.

She didn't hear Elijah and thought to leave him for a while in his own thoughts. That however disappeared the moment her weak legs finally decided to log off. Sophia cursed as her legs gave out.

On the inside she was blaming Elijah yet again.

She barely heard him behind her but seconds later, she was caught before her butt hit the grass. Sophia yelped and struggled for a few seconds before going still and succumbing. Elijah took her up easily and her feet left the ground. Sophia huffed and looked away as he began walking with her back towards his home.

Sophia avoided looking at him (with great difficulty) and ignored his comforting warmth and smell enveloping her body (also with great difficulty) for the longest of whiles. It was only after they passed through empty rooms and hallways and began to go up the stairs, Sophia bit down on her lips and thought to finally break the silence.

"Eli..." her voice was softly spoken yet he heard it immediately, answering with a sound of acknowledgement.

"Elijah I.." Sophia turned to look up at him, "-I really hate Ethan," Sophia made sure to emphasize, "during the event he-"

Elijah paused in his tracks then walked a little more. After they left the stairs he stopped walking, their gazes met as he looked down. Sophia could not tell what he was thinking.

"He what?" Elijah asked after a short moment.

Sophia would rather not remember. Ethan was delusional if anything, she'd have left that topic unspoken about if this situation hadn't come up. "He said some things to me at the event."

"What things?" He frowned and pressed on.

Sophia didn't like the look on his face, "That you were using me, like a toy, a rich mans play thing..." Sophia looked away, murmuring the last part under her breath, "-that this entire thing was all some obscure fetish you had."

Sophia was looking at the ground so she didn't see the look that flashed across his eyes. Elijah put her down afterwards, then he took her face in his hands, tilting her head upwards to look at him.

His expression and voice was startlingly calm, "No...Sophia."

Sophia lifted her hand to hold his, "I know...I know it wasn't true, I didn't even care what he thought. I was worried more about what you'd do at that event if you found out  Eli..but maybe it's my fault," Sophia looked away, "If I told you earlier, if I wasn't so careless when you left, then maybe...maybe he wouldn't have gotten the chance, maybe I wouldn't have nearly gotten..." Sophia trailed off. She couldn't finish that sentence. "I just didn't think he'd eventually do something like that."

"Don't say that," Elijah tugged her forward as gently as he could. He held her up mostly, his hands were wrapped around her body. He held her like this for longer with Sophia's face pressed into his chest. She was enveloped by him completely and it made her heart beat sporadically and weirdly inside her chest. The feeling in her stomach made it harder to breathe than usual.

"It's not your fault Sophia, you couldn't have known," she heard his voice through the haze. There was a slight edge to it that made her hairs stand on end.

"I'm really sorry for keeping what happened away from you but trust me Sophia...there's some things about that man..." he trailed off with a sigh then laughed dryly, without the slightest bit of humour or mirth. Sophia's eyebrows rose, did Elijah look into him personally?

If he could find Jeremiah Jones surely he could have all of Ethan's information on hand. Sophia was curious but chose to let it go for now. When they broke apart and Sophia was once again lifted off the ground. Sophia instinctively tightened her legs around him and her hands hug over his shoulders.

Their faces were only inches a part, Elijah looked serious but it seemed more like calm and serenity before a slowly brewing storm. He smiled a bit apologetically, "There won't be a repeat of what happened for as long as I live Sophia... I don't want to see you worrying about it."

Sophia gulped but felt compelled to nod. There were times when Elijah was carefree but there were other times he had an edge to him that made her skin tingle. "Okay."

After hearing her speak, Elijah nodded and finally smiled softly, "Just trust me, Sophia...I'll handle it."

• • •

Hi guys. Finally got the chance to post this chapter. I hope everyone enjoyed it and be sure to leave your feedback if possible♡

Remember to keep voting on every chapter and also comment cause it really boosts engagement and helps others to find this book♡  Remember to share if you can♡.

Also A big thank you to everyone who went over and added my new books to their reading lists and libraries (if you haven't already, please go do so and remember to follow this account to stay updated♡♡)

Love you all and I'll be seeing yall next chapter ♡

Nessa~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269K 7.5K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
4.8M 218K 43
[COMPLETED] "One night." I whisper breathlessly as he begins to unbutton my blouse. "That's not going to be enough for me, baby. I need you longer t...
1.6M 48.7K 51
After five years and a thousand regrets, two old lovers meet again.. "What kind of stunt are you pulling out this time?" I see his eyes blaze in blue...
2.6M 74.1K 27
He swiped my sweat-soaked hair off my neck, resting his lips against my ear. His fiery breaths blew across my earlobe. My body shuddered once again...