Love Punched | COMPLETED

By SkylerChase29

❝ I'm as much a bad-boy as you're an average girl. So I suppose that answers both our questions. ❞ •♤• Lila S... More

IᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴT
Aesthetics
Dedication
01. Oblivious
02. They bet?
03. A Nuisance
04. Sly Intentions
05. Universal Signs
06. Annoying Guys
07. Tricked
08. Black & Blue
09. Deep Talks
10. Friday Fights
11. Holy Turn On
12. A Brilliant Idea
13. Messed Up
14. Everyone Has Secrets
15. Irony At Its Finest
16. Jalapeños
17. Damning Conscience
18. Confrontations
19. Unwanted Changes
20. Body Building
21. Convincing
22. Sad Anniversary
23. Downhill
24. Slip Of Control
25. Backstory
26. Complexity
27. Changing Perceptions
28. Backstage
30. Birthday Boy
31. Smitten
32. Burning Up
33. Knowing Lila
34. Knowing Derek
35. Interested?
36. Talk It Out
37. Connections
38. What Happened?
39. Get It Over With
40. Strained
41. One Chance
42. Wildcat Vs Wolf
43. Birthday Girl
44. Tell Me
45. High On Emotions
46. Kiss It Better
47. Fall Prey
48. Warning Bells
49. Bittersweet
50. Be Mine, Kitkat
Epilogue

29. Not Ready Yet

3.5K 198 45
By SkylerChase29

(Derek's P.O.V)

I found Kitkat by the exit of Blue after I'd texted her because I couldn't find her.

Freshly showered, with my gym bag slung over my shoulder and my abdomen aching, I greeted her with a smirk as I jogged over.

"So here you were."

"Here I am."

Crickets sounded and the street light flickered above us. The smell of steak wafted over from the restaurant on the curb and I realized how hungry I was.

But above all, the sight of the metallic grey eyed girl made something in my chest settle down.

I breathed, "Hi."

For some weird-ass reason I was feeling nervous and awkward and that was so unlike me.

She tilted her head, quirking a brow. "Hi."

I don't think this is how it's supposed to go.

Why is Lila so damn calm while I'm freaking the fuck out here? Goddammit!

I cleared my throat, looking away from her stormy eyes and starting starting walk.

"So what did you think?" I mussed up my hair, my heart still not calming down.

She walked besides me, casual but perceptive as she replied, "You're good."

I glanced down at her, pleased that I was taller for some reason. "You know my secret, huh?"

Kitkat rolled her eyes. "Please, you weren't keeping it much of a secret anyway and I'm not dumb." She shrugged as she shot me a look. "I put two and two together."

I nodded, making an 'o' with my mouth. "But you're wrong." I teased.

In response, Kitkat smiled.

It was the smile, the one she gave right before she did something that was freaky and meant you should get your guard up.

However, I was a beat too late because she smacked my side, the one where I'd taken a heavy beating.

I sucked in a sharp breath, cursing.

"Jesus, woman!" I grabbed her hand and heard her chuckle.

"So, you were saying?" Her eyes sparked with amusement and I sighed, my eyes dropping to my hold on her hand and I inched to go a little lower and hold her hand properly.

But before I could do something out of character like that, Kitkat tugged her hand away.

"Right. You were right." I grumbled, pressing the bruise on my side.

"That's what I thought." Victory bled into her tone and I watched her, my lips tugging upwards.

"Oh, your tattoos are back." She remarked.

I glanced down at my arm and smirked, "Yeah. You missed them?"

"Lots." Her serious voice had me chuckling.

"Anyways...." I started, unable to actually out my feelings into words because I don't know why I'd really brought Lila here and let her in on this secret.

"Do you like being The Wolf?" She questioned and I was relieved I'd only have to answer.

I nodded. "Yep."

"Your bike?" Lila gestured towards the side and I paused. Glancing at her, the yearning for more time in her presence felt like a pressure in my chest. So I made a rather rash decision.

"Walk down with me?"

Her brow arched.

I gave a slight grin, challengingly. And I don't know what prompted her to accept but she did.

Just walking besides her made my heart race and I was left hyperspace of the heat of her body.

We turned another street, walking back to our houses silently. Others milled around, the lights from the shops and diners twinkling. Laughter floated in the air on this weekend and I smiled as I saw the diner Rebecca and I visited together often.

"You know how to fight." Lila looked at me inquisitively, "Where did you learn it from?"

Uncomfortable with the question but  aware that it was a natural one, I responded carefully.

"Here and there."

So yes, my careful answer was me avoiding it.

Lila picked up on it and snickered.

"It's supposed to be a secret, Derek. Why did you let me in on it?" She sighed.

Well, time to face the music I guess.

"Mmmm." I drawled, "No reason."

Lila paused and rose a brow, "Oh yeah? You expect me to believe that?"

I fidgeted with the lighter in my pocket, long since having changed out of the tank and shorts for the fight.

Unease trickled in and my stomach sank. I didn't want to say it out loud, the reason I realized I wanted her in on it afterwards.

"So someone needed to know and I couldn't think of a better person than you. You know, with you being my certified distraction here and knowing my tragic backstory."

So, I might have mixed two truths with a lie but I think I exposed a bit more than I wanted to. Fuck, what's with me being loose-mouthed around my neighbor?

Lila looked at me strangely. "What about Warren or Michael, wouldn't they have been better choices?"

I'm digging myself a grave here and I can't even backtrack. Fuck this.

"Yeahhhhhh...." I drawled and thought of what stupid excuse to give next when her warm hand wrapped around my bicep.

I stilled and rose a brow, hiding how  I felt like a single touch from her was burning me alive and I was aching to close the distance between us, to taste her, to hold her, to see inside that mysterious head of hers and—

"You don't like me or something, do you?" Kitkat's words were tinged with equal parts humor and exasperation.

But her words were like a kick to my stomach because I was starting to realize just how deep her metal grey eyes had drawn me in.

Knowing what answer and approach would pacify her, wouldn't make her treat me like the plague, wouldn't change much, I schooled my features and answered her accordingly.

My lips hooked upwards and I leaned down till my mouth was right next to her ears, the proximity making my heart pound.

"I wanted you under me since the fist time I saw you, Kitkat."

The whisper was flirty, it was teasing, it was what she expected from me.

It was what I expected from me.

Lila blinked and a breathy exhale escaped her parted lips.

Maybe I did have an effect on her–

She rolled her eyes, snickering in annoyance as she pushed me away– like usual–and took her touch with herself, walking ahead of me.

Dismissing my antics as per usual.

But this one time wasn't such an act.

Thing was, the truth in my flirtatious words was what I hadn't expected.

Neither had I expected the cold settling in at her brushing me off or the sinking reality of my feelings wrenching my rules apart.

Had I really fallen for Lila Smith?

It wasn't like I was...attracted to her. I mean I was attracted to the Wildcat too. And a hundred other girls that...I hadn't touched in...months.....

Uhh...

Lila glanced back at me, "Are you going to stand there the entire night?"

I opened my mouth to say something but she cut me off with a cheerful string of words that were not-so-cheerful.

"Oh goodie! You've realized you need some self-introspection! You can stay here, I'll be leaving! Bye!"

Kitkat turned about, her braid swinging with the movement and I closed my eyes, a wry smile taking over my features.

Yeah.

I definitely didn't think Lila was a friend.

I'm not ready to accept anything more than that.

•♤•

July came just like that and the heat was making itself known.

And night time didn't change much because I felt stifled with the humiditybut the heat was nothing compared to Florida so I thanked my stars and decided a night jog was on the itinerary.

Since it was already mid July, Desiree had reminded me my birthday was coming and so was she.

I'd been to Blue four times now and fought every Saturday. Yet I hadn't met either of the other two fighters and I was losing my patience.

Plus, Friday games were no more.

We'd lost the fifth game this season much to our chargin and Warren had been in a rather foul mood. Apparently it was the farthest our school's soccer team had ever gotten in the tournament.

Well, we did almost make it to the semi finals and although I wasn't that attached to the game, it was disappointing that we lost.

Losing never feels good.

I'd gotten famous as both Derek Greyson and The Wolf of Ladenhill and I can't say I disliked it.

As I walked out into my driveway, glancing up at Kitkat's room, my chest squeezed with an unfamiliar feeling.

Things between us hadn't changed.

I still teased, she still shut me down.

Only difference was this time I was taking things to heart a bit more more I'd have liked.

I contemplated bothering her but she'd been studying this week what with exams coming up and I wasn't ready to have stones thrown into my room again. There was a high chance she'd end up breaking the new glass painted piece hung above my bed.

Courtesy of my Mother dearest.

I wouldn't have taken it except my father had given me a wide smile and said it would look good and I'd conceded because of him.

Shaking my head, I looked up at the dark sky.

Inky black yet the stars scattered across were tiny specks of glittering shards. It was a beautiful sight one couldn't find in cities.

A crescent moon hung between the twinkling stars and the streetlights illuminated the road as I started jogging down.

I'd learned to appreciate the beauty in small towns and I wasn't hating Ladenhill as much as I'd expected.

As I completed a full circle and was almost back, I slowed down considerably. Panting, I practiced the calming exercises Diego had recommended for a better focus.

So I guess I had Diego to thank because I wouldn't have stopped otherwise.

And if I wouldn't have stopped?

I would've missed Jalapeño Guy.

I stopped short, silent and breathing slowly as I bent around the wall to see the hooded figure slip an envelope inside Lila's mailbox.

The scene was almost identical to the one from the night two months ago.

Okay so maybe I hadn't had all innocent intentions when I came out for the night jog.

I'd religiously followed this routine as much as I could. It killed two birds with one stone.

I worked out and waited on the off-chance that the guy would visit again and this time I'd manage to get some answers.

Today was the chance I'd been listing after for more than a month.

As Jalapeño guy looked around surreptitiously again, I hid quickly. Peeking out after a minute, I saw he was hurriedly making his way out of the vicinity so I did what I thought was the best course of action.

I followed him.

In the cover of the darkness, I treaded lightly as I trailed the figure, taking three turns ahead until I saw his frantic speed decreasing.  My heart thundered in my chest and I was somewhat excited to see who'd be under the hood and who exactly Jalapeño guy was meeting.

Fortunately for me, there was street light shining brightly not too far off from the two figures and I peeked from behind my spot, having a clear view.

Also, how the hell are they wearing hoods in this heat?

The guy flipped off his hood but his face was still not visible. I observed how he met with someone hiding themselves far too much but one thing I could make out was....

It was a girl that Jalapeño guy had just met with. 

Sadly, I was too far away to pick up on their hushed whispers but lady luck was smiling upon me and the guy turned around.

When I saw who it was, confusion and mystery filled me.

The defender of our soccer team, Rick, took the envelope from the female and then proceeded to slip away. I didn't follow him this time.

Because my point of focus was the jittery looking female who had her hair down. I watched with furrowed brows, still taken aback by the fact that the guy who'd tasted dust at Blue because he'd wanted to get a handful of the Wildcat was the one delivering these suspicious as fuck letters to Kitkat.

The female bent her head and a flash of short blonde hair slipped out of her hood in the process. I took an involuntary step forward, eyes widening as I finally saw her face as well. 

My suspicions were confirmed and there hurrying out of the dim-lit street was the girl I'd picked up in the early mornings and had muffins and coffee with in a back-corner shop that gave cozy vibes.

Rebecca Atkinson had striking features and features that were seared into my memory after spending days in her favorable company.

I didn't follow her, didn't have the will to. I got what I'd needed even if I was having a hard time connecting it all. It seemed a little surreal but i had proof that it was true to a certain extent.

My breath stalled in my lungs as I came to the conclusion: Rebecca was sending Lila mysterious letters through Rick.

The next thing I needed to know was Why and What the content of the letters was.

At that time, I hadn't realized just how deeply this town was corrupted.

•♤•

A/N

Well, well, well.
So? What do we think of the new developments in this chapter??
What about Derek's new view and how things seem to be changing between him and Lila?
What about the last revelation about the letters??

Any theories? Feel free to share, I'd love to hear your comments!
Don't forget to vote, comment and said to your libraries!

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy!
Till next time then!

~Skyler

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 54.1K 62
"Aesira," he drew out. "Damon." I said his name back. "If you wear this again tomorrow I promise you I won't hesitate to rip it off your body," he sa...
1.9M 47.8K 43
You know them boys that ride the best cars, the hottest guys walking on earth, the players, the popular ones, the ones that are called 'bad boys'. We...
3.7K 60 51
"This was just supposed to be summer fun. That was what we agreed on." I tried to talk to him as he was vigorously shaking his head, tearing his gaze...
217K 6.5K 58
"You're my favorite thing." He croaked. "You're all I have left . . . I don't know what I would do if you left me." *** A story built on coffee, awk...