His Favored Empress

By ladydragyn

Shaugn is a history professor with an adventurous spirit. One day he wakes up and finds himself in a world s... More

Nag, Nag, Nag
Fresh Air
Splitting Headache
Identity
Dujshua
His Emperor
Fateful Encounter
Courtship and Questions
Eye Opening Chat
A Negotiation
Dagaslan
Not Your Ordinary Priest
Entanglement
The 6th Prince
Terrible Tea
Prince Etan
Making Waves
Fight For the Right to Fight
Uninvited Guest
His Bottom Line
Size Doesn't Matter
Preparations
Currying Favor
Mother Empress
Start From Small
Picky Eaters
Public Discipline
Discussion and Departure
Shifob
Clapping Back
Gloves Off
Man to Men
Out of Sight
Night Vision
Court Full of Jesters
The Slums
The Military Camp
Camp On Notice
Memorials Arrive
Setting the Stage
Diminished Ministers
A Wager
Humbled Noble
Secret Meetings
Recruitment
Drowning Rats
Rumors
Late Night Rendezvous
Reforms

Toshi

2.5K 201 21
By ladydragyn

                                                                🏳‍🌈Happy PRIDE!!🏳‍🌈

(unfiltered and unedited. Come for me later😜)

Shaugn strode out with his head high and his shoulders back. A wicked smile stretched across his face. Akechi and Kazim stood a little taller following behind their beloved empress. Their soft, lovable empress was proving to be a powerful leader - much like their emperor.

A small child stood at the end of the alley where their carriage was parked. The clothes hanging from his small frame were dirty and tattered. A mat of muddy, dark hair covered his head. His sunken cheeks made his dark brown eyes look almost comically big reminding Shaugn of a chibi drawing. The little street urchin had his fingers in his mouth as if he was going to gnaw his hand off to alleviate his hunger.

Shaugn ordered Akechi to get a snack from the carriage and approached the child. The guards hurried to walk in front of him in a protective gesture. The child's large eyes opened in panic and his hands clenched into fists. His eyes darted left and right looking for escape.

"Don't run," Shaugn tried to soften his voice so as not to frighten the child. "We won't hurt you."

Seeing the massive guards with their hands on the hilts of their swords, the child stood stiffly in place and bowed his head. He shouldn't have stopped in the alley to rest. His foot hurt and he was sleepy.

"Raise your head," Shaugn commanded. Seeing the frightened dark eyes, he gave a smile. This kid was the same age as one of his nephews albeit smaller in size. "What's your name?"

"T-toshi, your majesty."

"Toshi. That's a nice name. Are you hungry?"

There was a loud gurgling noise. Toshi covered his stomach and nodded.

Shaugn's smile widened. "This is Akechi – my servant. She's going to give you something to eat."

Akechi reached out and handed Toshi the bun she retrieved from the carriage. They watched in amazement as the fist-sized bun was gobbled up in three bites. Akechi handed Toshi a cup of water and stood back. Toshi downed the water just as fast and wiped his mouth with his dirty sleeve.

"Th-thank you, your majesty."

"You're welcome." Shaugn looked up and down the alley and didn't see any other children. "Why are you in the alley?"

"My foot hurt and I saw the horses and your carriage."

"You like horses?"

"Yes, your majesty. My father used to breed horses."

Shaugn frowned. A horse breeder should have made a decent living. Their child should have been able to have a full stomach and be nicely kept. This child was on the verge of starvation and his clothes looked like they would fall apart with a good tug. "Where is your father now?"

Toshi's head lowered. "He died when our village flooded half a year ago."

"Where is your mother?"

"Also died. I'm an orphan and refugee."

Shaugn rubbed his forehead. The ministers here were too inept. With the wealth of the treasury and several of the families in the capital, there was no reason why the refugees couldn't have a place to sleep and food to eat until they were able to get back on their feet. Not to mention the three temples and the priests that were supposed to minister and aid the poor.

"I'm sorry for your loss. You've struggled hard on your own." He looked at the child and rubbed his chin. San Malima experienced a rainy season in the late summer to mid fall. It was at that time that many floods and landslides happened. A few months later there would be a winter followed with heavy snow from time to time. Homes with thatched roofs would collapse or people would die of cold or hunger. Shaugn squinted his eyes as an idea struck him.

"Thank you, your majesty, for the bun."

Shuagn took a silver coin from his coinbag. "Toshi, I have a task for you. Can you do it?"

Toshi eye's lit up. "Anything you say. I'm smart and I'm fast."

"Good. I need a tour guide."

"What's that?" He tilted his head to the side making Shaugn chuckle.

"You take me all over the city."

"Oh! I can do this. I know all the best places to eat and nicest shopping areas."

Shaugn waved his fan in dismissal. He'd seen all the nice places. Compared to 21st century arts and architecture, they were not worth noting. "I'm not interest in those. I want to see the worst places."

"Huh?"

At the same time, several panicked voices blurted out, "What!?"

Radagar kept his cool. "Your majesty?"

Shaugn looked around at all their faces. What was so shocking about what he said? "I want to see where the refugees live. I want to see where the orphans find shelter. I want to see how you all find food and warm clothes."

Radagar made a motion and two guards hurried to his side. "Your majesty, let us go. There's no reason to trouble yourself."

"But I want to see for myself. A ruler should know how their people live."

"But-"

Akechi twisted her hands in front of her. "Your majesty, that's not someplace you should go."

"Why is that?"

"It's not safe nor proper." Kazim put his hands behind his back. "You're the empress. You should send someone in your place. That's their job."

"I have been in the palace too long. Aside from the clinic and shops in my hands, I have no idea of the situation of our immediate kingdom. How can I effectively lead if I'm always relying on others to tell me these things?"

"That –"

"People will lie and they will do things with their backhand if they think you are ignorant or complacent. I believe the true situation of the empire has been hidden from us. There are people needlessly suffering and not just in San Malima."

Shaugn paused to observe their reactions. No one seemed convinced of his words. So he added,

"Unhappy subjects breed rebellious ideas. Rebellious ideas cause problems and topple empires."

Seeing them nod in realization, Shaugn turned to Toshi and smiled. "Come up to the carriage. Take me to all the places you go. I'll give you this silver and a few more buns."

"Can I share them with the others?"

"You're so kind. Yes, you may."

In the carriage, Toshi looked around with curiosity. He'd never ridden in a carriage as luxurious as this before. The closest he'd come was a covered cart carrying an injured horse. There were curtains on the windows to keep out the dust and rain. The seat was cushioned with beautiful pillows that helped reduced the shock on the back. A small table held a lacquered food box. Akechi reached inside and pulled out another bun with a flower petal on top.

"This is for you."

Toshi looked at Shaugn for permission.

Shaugn nodded and patted his shoulder. "You can eat it."

Toshi slowed down and didn't inhale the bun like the last one. He took small nibbles, savoring the taste this time.

Shaugn chuckled to himself and took out his fan. The spring was giving away to summer. There wasn't a lot of time before the rainy season. If things were as backward as he thought, they didn't have a lot of time. He needed to act fast even if it meant without the consent of the court. That would undoubtedly cause problems later and make him many more enemies.

Nevermind the misogyny and classism. The discrimination and lack of respect for dujshua was severe. He had a hard fight ahead of him.

He sighed. Being a ruler was such a headache. Thank heavens he had knowledge from history and tv. Many of the issues that plagued empires of the past he could easily solve with his modern knowledge. Cutting out the ministers was fast and effective but would create enemies within the court structure that could pose complications. Shaugn shrugged.

Peoples' lives and homes were at stake.

Fuck it.

They already had enemies inside the court, the palace, the military and everywhere else. It was high time these people were rectified.

The carriage began to slow down and the noise outside seemed to get louder. There were less carriages and more pedestrians on the streets. The road was bumpier and Shaugn raised a silent complaint when he began to feel nauseous.

"Akechi, help me with my crown."

Her eyebrows wrinkled. "Your crown?"

"I want to walk the streets without drawing too much attention to myself."

The corners of her eyes crinkled as she chuckled. "That's impossible, your majesty. Who doesn't know what the esteemed empress looks like?"

Shaugn sighed. The empress was too well known. "Still. I'd like to look as plain as possible."

*Well, on a  new painkiller and steroids so here's hoping the hand issue resolves soon 😄

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4M 264K 80
'Sometimes the DARKNESS you fear IS the LIGHT you seek' //MATURE CONTENT// A MAFIA ROMANCE Ranked: #1 bwwm #1 polyamory #1 bisexual #1 wmbw #1 blac...
72.9K 2.7K 37
#Phaming #ghostship #short story #mpreg There were two couples more like two friends met two stranger on one fateful day at night club. Bef...
429K 14.9K 35
He is from a very rare clan of a tribe that holds an unequaled beauty, brain, strength, and skills. He was exiled intentionally by his parents becaus...
380K 18.1K 127
Taio Ru woke up in a beautiful bamboo forest. The sun shimmered as the light passed through the lushes emerald green bamboo. A babbling brook flowed...