All the Wrong Reasons

By shelbylw03

They married for the wrong reasons. He married her for the money and status, while she married him to start... More

Pot and Kettle
The Unwilling Bride
Challenge Accepted
Bruised Pride
Everyone's Princess
Dislike to Hate
One-Sided Love Affair
Surprised Shrieks
Start of Something New
Better Left Unsaid
Linked by the Past
Bonding Over Crumbs
Dilemma
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
A Sticky Situation
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52

What the Future Holds

258K 5.6K 578
By shelbylw03

Chapter 2

Cassandra stood there in horrified awe. What else could she describe it as? Her future husband was more handsome than she thought was possible. Why did the Lord smite her now? What did she do wrong this time? She simply wanted to move to a small town where no one knew her; she wanted to marry an old, obese man with no chance of falling in love.

This man standing in front of her was a force to be reckoned with. Sure he was a little on the skinny side, but that was most likely due to the fact that food wasn't abundant in this small town. She noticed that he, at least, had the decorum to clean himself up a little. With this observation she felt immense relief; her baths were something that she reveled in.

She scanned his features and almost laughed at how in place his hair was. Instantly, she could tell that this man took pride in what he worked for, and it was obvious that he worked to keep his black hair perfect. She wondered if he was conceited when it came to his shiny smooth hair. It was the kind of hair she would love to run her fingers through.

Her long eyelashes fell onto her cheeks twice before she could clear the images from her head. Cassandra had a plan, and this man sauntering towards her was not going to deter her from it. This village would be beautiful by the time she was done with it.

His steps got louder, and she knew that he was almost in front of her. Her eyes did not connect with his, however. She didn't need, or want, any sappy moments of looking into one another's eyes. She had heard the stories about handsome men sweeping women off their feet with just a smile. It wasn't going to happen to her; her feet were planted firmly on the ground.

The footsteps stopped. She glanced up from underneath her eyelashes. There it was. There was the smile that knocked women off their feet; the smile that made her want to melt. However, that would not happen; he would never win her over.

He held out his hand. "Colin Moore, at your service."

Cassandra glared at his hand, but knew it would be improper to refuse it. Her glove clad palm landed into his without a sound. "It's a pleasure to meet you Sir Moore. I am Lady Ashmore."

His eyes crinkled on the side and his lips twitched. "Please call me by my Christian name. You are, in fact, going to be my wife."

She looked at her father praying that he would give her an escape, but she was greeted with a look that said 'Do as the man said.' She cursed what was proper in life. Having to listen to the men in the family had its drawbacks, and this was one of them. She opened her mouth then closed it once more. He had brought her hand up to his lips to plant a small kiss on the top of her glove. The feeling burned through the fabric making her wonder how it would feel on her bare skin.

"Call me Colin," his voice commanded, snapping Cassandra out of her thoughts.

"C-Colin," she sputtered out to his obvious amusement.

"Now may I know yours?"

Her eyes widened.  "My what?"

She could tell the smile he flashed her was genuine this time. "Your name, Princess."

Her blue eyes shot daggers at him. So, he had heard some things about her, but the question was; how much did he really know? Cassandra did not see the wariness in his eyes or the hatred. She almost jumped for joy as she realized that she could start fresh. If he didn't know what was said, it was possible that they went far enough away from home to escape.

Realizing that he was still staring at her, she supplied her name with the poise of a queen. "Cassandra Elaine Ashmore."

"Well Cassie, that is a beautiful name for a beautiful lady," he said as his eyes darkened in interest.

Flattery would get him nowhere. Her eyes narrowed as she grinded her teeth together and said. "My name is Cassandra, and I would prefer that you use it."

"Well Cassandra, welcome to Eskdale Manor," he said, while letting go of her hand and motioning to the atrocity behind him. She bit her lip in order to keep the snide remark in her mouth. Her father had warned her that some husbands chose to beat their wives for such comments, and she couldn't afford for that to happen.

"It will be a beautiful home," she told him and winced when the comment she was trying to keep in slipped out.

His eyes narrowed at her. "What do you mean 'will be a beautiful home'?"

She searched her brain for something to say before she settled on, "Your home has such a great structure, and the land around it is very promising. With a little bit of work, it will be magnificent."

He did not look impressed by her words; if anything, his jaw clenched tighter and his nostrils flared. Anger was a good look on him. Maybe she would get him angry more just to see that face he made. 'Snap out of it,' she told herself.

"Well, you should get started as soon as possible," he said, sounding smug.

Bouncing on her feet, she replied, "May I start immediately?"

***

Colin was dumbfounded. The woman just wouldn't react the way he wanted her to. He had flashed his best smile, and she only blinked in return. He told her she was beautiful and she looked at him with disgust. Now, he was telling her that she should get to work on his manor, and she looked happy.

What was wrong with this chit? Her emotions were easy for him to read, since they flashed on her face and in her eyes. He could tell that she would be a horrible liar. With such an emotional face, it was hard to think of her as a spoiled cold woman. He steeled his emotions. Any sappy feelings he thought of would just bring his downfall.

There was no way he would let a woman make him feel anything other than loathing. His hand twitched, and he was forced to put it in his pocket to keep it from snatching hers once more. What the bloody hell was wrong with him?

"May I?" her musical voice asked.

He began nodding his head; she could do anything she wanted as long as she kept talking. She let out a happy squeal sound, and he was reminded of his plan. He would not fall in love with his future wife. They would be great friends, but other than that, nothing would happen.

He glanced at her father and knew that she got at least some of his attributes. The man had blonde hair that had a wave to it and brilliant blue eyes, but that was where the similarities stopped.

Where she was soft, he was hard. Where her face showed everything she thought, his showed nothing. Colin could not help but feel intimidated by this man. He knew who the Ashmores were; everybody knew who they were. This large foreboding man standing in front of him grew up playing with the prince. Now, he whispered in the King's ear whenever the King needed guidance.

These thoughts drifted into his head. So, why did her father allow this marriage? Cassie could have been married off to someone with a larger title than his. She could have been married off to a prince in another country. His suspicions began to rise. What was going on here?

Her father glanced beside him at Cassandra and his eyes softened. Colin could tell how much he adored his daughter. If the man adored his daughter, why would he make her live somewhere like Eskdale? She seemed to be thrilled at the idea, so maybe she was the reason for all of this.

Maybe he was one of the few fathers who listened to what the women in the family had to say. His own father never listened to his mother, and he hated the man. Women were great confidants if you could trust them.

"Cassie, why don't you go see if Jeffery needs any help," her father grumbled.

"Yes, Papa," she replied demurely, and began walking towards the footman, who was taking the trunks out of the carriage.

"Moore."

Colin's head snapped towards the large man and he fought to keep the fear off his face. He would have to be stupid not to be afraid of this man, and if there was one thing Colin wasn't, it was stupid.

"Yes, my lord?" he asked him, keeping the respect evident in his voice.

"You marry her today, but you do not rush her. Do you understand me?"

Colin nodded, understanding every unsaid word. Her father did not mind the fact that Colin was marrying his daughter, but if he forced himself on her, Colin would be a dead man. Ashmore did not have to worry though, Colin had never forced himself on a woman, and he didn't plan to start with his wife.

"Take care of her or I swear to you I will be back with the cavalry."

With that, Cassandra's father flashed him a frightening smile, and began walking towards his daughter. Fine, so maybe Colin would not try to make her life completely horrid, but he still would never fall in love with the blonde haired beauty.

***Amazing Cover by Little_ifrit***

***Title by xxdrkluvxx***

***Edited by Wallie and Twilight_moon***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 21 19
It's lust at first sight for him, He's been through a lot in the past, He is not searching for serious commitment, But all his reasons drown when he...
3.6K 188 16
Forced into a marriage so he can take over his family's mafia. They are told to stay married for a year. She is taking this seriously. Him not so muc...
1.1K 36 9
he loved her while she played him. just as it was his end he found the one to love again. what about his first wife.? the betrayal begins
439K 4.7K 8
"You won't expect love from me and will please me whenever, wherever I want." *** Passionate bonds linger in their relation which are ignorant to bot...