from Academy to Anbu by theri...

By Tanjastorm

read the story if you want to and not my original work. I just like the story and wanted an easier access to... More

chapter one
chapter 2
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
Chapter 41

chapter 3

354 12 0
By Tanjastorm

Next day, Records tower…

"Agent Mouse, reporting for patrol duty of the records tower." Naruto greeted his temporary commanding officer, Lizard, looking straight ahead into the dimly lit office. Lizard glanced at him and the papers Naruto handed him.

"So you're the brat Dragon promised me for the week. What did you do to get dumped down here?" Lizard drawled. It was obvious he was bored- the talk of HQ was that ten years ago the man was one of the top ANBU- one of the division captains. But then he received a debilitating injury, ensuring he'd never be an active shinobi again. Problem was, he knew too many secrets and a lot of higher ups wondered if letting him go would put the security of the village at risk. The council debated for days about having him killed (half hearted, of course, but they were ninjas) or to just trust the man to never give out secrets or be kidnapped by another village for said secrets.

The compromise? Captain Lizard became the book keeper: the man who knew every single grain of dirt on Konoha. He never had any family or real hobbies before, so he lived inside the complex, among the shadows of Konoha's darker side.

"Nothing sir- I just needed the extra money for intermediate sealing lessons- as an orphan any extra skills I want to learn I need to pay for."
"Oh? Sealing is an obscure art- why would an ANBU wish to learn more than the basics?" Lizard knew who Naruto was- heck, he was one of the ANBU that found Naruto laying next to Kushina's corpse and all of Naruto's records were kept in the basement. Dragon had "suggested" Naruto be given 'access' to that level (about damn time in Lizard's humble opinion) but Naruto wouldn't know about his heritage until after he found the records- unless someone introduced him to the art?

"My captain recommended it and I am picking it up at a relatively quick pace- I am almost finished with level two- but the barrier between level two and three makes learning without a tutor unwise. I already littered our training ground with enough potholes."

"But why would you waste your money on more lessons? The basics are more than enough for an ANBU squad and I don't hear any desire to join the barrier corps." The reason the boy wanted to know more was obviously because sealing was in the Uzumaki blood, but that didn't mean Lizard couldn't mess with the brat- his day was monotonous and picking on youngsters always made his day brighter.

"Umm… I guess I just like it?" Naruto couldn't really explain it- sealing was just enjoyable, even when his shock tags kept exploding. Lizard seemed to be unimpressed.

"Why not learn a more applicable skill?" Naruto seemed to stiffen at this and Lizard smirked. Degrade an Uzumaki's sealing and they lost it. He prepared for a heated rant or passionate demonstration. Every Uzumaki he ever met did it.

"Fuinjutsu would be valuable to the corps if I can attain level five or higher, as then I would be qualified to maintain the security barrier and seals at HQ, thus cutting out the middle man and internalizing more of ANBU's procedures." Except this one. Lizard frowned; he should have known that kill joy Tenzo would feed that duty crap to his young charge.

What Lizard didn't know was that Naruto, like any true Uzumaki, did in fact have a 'don't mock the seals' rant prepared. But, like any good ANBU (one that was deathly afraid of their captain and other superior officers) Naruto bit his tongue and went down the path of not being punished for insubordination.

"Tsch. You're the only boring one I've met. Now get out of here- Trout is waiting for you on B-5 for your shift." Lizard waved Naruto away.

Naruto bowed and left, confused at the last statemen. The only boring one I've met? Most ANBU are boring though…

He pushed those thoughts aside as he reached floor B-5. A brown haired ANBU waits, his trout mask almost ghoulish in the fluorescent light.

"Agent Mouse- I am your commanding officer for the week, you can call me Captain Trout."

"It is an honor to work with you, captain." Naruto's heart raced- so close was he to finding out about his past!

"Respect- good for one so young. Which squad do you come from?"
"Team Ro, captain."

"Hmm that explains it, Tenzo's team? Next time you see him remind that idiot he owes me six hundred ryo, okay?" Trout says offhandedly, like he really didn't care that Naruto's captain owed him so much money.

"O-of course, sir." Best to go with the neutral route.

"Good, my little kohai." He pats Naruto on the head, much to the blonde's hidden ire. "Follow me, I'll teach you the ropes today and tomorrow you'll be assigned a sector to watch over." And with that, Naruto learned the ins and out of Konoha's house of secrets.

That evening…

Naruto trekked to Anko's playground, the Forest of Death, for his first poisons lesson, mainly how to properly gather the needed herbs and storing them to prevent spoilage long term. Gliding over the rooftops Naruto focused on the small notebook in his hands, where he was carefully mapping out his plan for the rest of the week. From his time with captain Trout, he had deduced that each ANBU was given half a floor to patrol and report any trouble in, as well as sweep/dust to keep the files clean, though Trout said the mice were an ongoing problem to not bother with. Naruto figured that he would focus on his actual job while pairs of clones transformed into mice would work their way down, from the 'least restricted' section to the 'darkest village secrets' files. Naruto wasn't stupid- reading his file could be excused, but digging into other files would result in having the Kyubi extracted and put into another child- in other words, execution.

So, the clones had orders to only open the boxes labeled 'Naruto Uzumaki', 'Kushina Uzumaki' and 'October tenth'. Anything else was off limits. He could only hope that saved him if anyone ever figured out what he was doing. Arriving outside the tall, seal enforced fence (because no way would Konoha have a simple playground grade fence to keep out the tigers, leaches, and whatever other mythical beasts that lived there) He flared his chakra and waited for Anko. He had to spend hours every week with his squad in the hell hole- no way would he go in there alone.

"Hey, Mouse-chan! Welcome to paradise!" Anko's exuberant greeting came from behind him and a kunai was at his jugular. Naruto flinched despite himself. Big mistake. "Oh ho, I can smell your fear. I like it- almost as much as I love your blood." A cut appears above his mask Anko licks the liquid off of her kunai.

"I payed your Dango tab for help with poisons, not seduction lessons." Naruto said. Anko sniggered but released him.

"Aww, is little Mouse afraid of the big bad Snake? Well anyway, let's go- the best species of poppy seeds and sleeping herbs are just up ahead!" Anko jumped over the fence without a glance back and after an eye roll Naruto followed. Over the following three hours Naruto learned the ingredients for not just the sleeping drug, but also a paralyzing one- Anko insisted- and found that the problem was what part of the plant he was gathering from- the top leaves led to death if not treated, while the flowers on the ground of the plant just sedated the victim. "Now, Mousey-chan, it's time for your immunity training!" Anko said happily. Naruto paled and backed away.

"No, no, that's okay. I have patrol tomorrow anyway." He tried to reason but Anko's grin turn viscous.

"And I know that shift isn't for sixteen hour- the dose I'm giving will knock you out for eight the first time." She sticks him with a senbon as he attempts flight. "Don't worry- before the week is up you'll be immune to three times that amount."

Her cackle was Naruto's last remembrance of lucidity.

Last Day of patrol…

'Naruto Uzumaki- born October tenth to Kushina Uzumaki and… Minato Namikaze'. Naruto sucked in a breath at that last name- the fourth Hokage was his father. He, the village scape goat, was the son of their greatest hero. Oh, the irony. Blinking away tears the young ANBU reads on through the thick box that told him the truth, from his birth to the decision to enlist him in ANBU.

This mess of emotions all started when Naruto's clone on his floor, ironically, discovered the file box 'Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze.' The clone was confused over if reading it was allowed- the name Namikaze meant somehow Naruto was linked to the man who sealed the Kyubi, but was it just notes over the seal? And if it was something else, what was it? Dispelling its partner the clone waited patiently, and when its creator arrived in a measured step it too dispelled, leaving the identity searching boy to himself.

Within an hour Naruto was livid- he had a godfather- the sanin, Jiraiya, who had refused to see or have anything to do with him. In Jiraiya's notes to the Hokage, Naruto reminded him too much of a broken past, and he trusted his sensei to raise the boy as his own. Problem was, the council declared Naruto a 'military asset' at the age of two, meaning no one could adopt him- not even an old student of his father, Kakashi, or his father's old guard members- that explained Genma offering senbon lessons for free. It was ridiculous- from what Naruto read within the file, he was deemed 'too valuable' to be entrusted to one person or clan, but the reports showed that Jinchuuriki needed to be filled with love in their lives to keep them loyal. That led to the Hokage befriending him at a young age (the notes from that section mentioned it was originally to build loyalty to the Hokage, but bloomed into actual like of Naruto), and Naruto entering the academy early at the age of six in the hopes of early graduation. His real academy scores had been added, and the investigation that followed, leading to three teachers being fired and two being dropped from active duty. Naruto felt a vindictive pleasure at that, but it turned to bitterness, as he recalled all the times Naruto would swear up and down that he did hit the target and get a ten out of ten, or that his math test wasn't an f, only to have his 'Jiji' ignore him or tell him to 'just show them kindness' when he cried that the taijutsu instructors hit him harder than the others.

A subtle sabotage, swept under the rug, as the 'official reports' just fabricated the need for a new staff or minor infractions that built up for the reason that the teachers were fired.

The only good part of his findings was a picture of his parents and him- in the belly, but they were still together. Carefully, Naruto sealed the picture inside a scroll and placed the box back exactly the way it was before. He wiped his tears, knowing that no matter how much he wanted to, he couldn't storm into the Hokage's office and demand answers, or track down his godfather to beat him up, or even yell at Kakashi, who was his father's prized student. He had to make a believable reason to how he 'figured it out' as it was clear nobody wanted him to know- their reasons, according to the last report from a month ago was Iwa and Kumo coming after him. But Naruto read the real reason that was spelled out among the good intentions: his stability and loyalty weren't unshakable now, and until he 'proved to be properly stable and loyal to Konoha and the Hokage' he was to be kept in the dark despite his maturity and rank. Naruto considered waiting until the Hokage made the first move towards reconciliation. Is my pride worth it? He wondered, and came up with the obvious no. His stupid stubbornness was not worth hindering both his career or his knowledge. Time begin to mend the fence, he decided. After he was officially in the know of his past he'd have plenty of time to beat the crap out of his former Jiji. Besides, he did miss the man, despite everything.

Hokage's office, after shift…

Naruto breathed deeply before knocking.

"Come in." The familiar aged voice spoke. Naruto opened the door hesitantly. "Ah, Naruto my boy. Do you need anything?" Sarutobi was guarded, but hopeful. Naruto only showed up in his presence for the guard rotation and that one mission report- both had been awkward, as Sarutobi knew the boy was hiding his bitterness. It was the only reason he kept Naruto's legacy a secret from him, despite his commander's rather vocal protests. A Jinchuuriki that wasn't all the way trusting of its Hokage couldn't be given more reasons to be angry. Once Naruto forgave him and calmed down he'd take him aside and explain why it was for his own good- Kumo and Iwa were large threats- and that his godfather was always out protecting the village from spies. Even if it was partially bull crap, the reasoning was sound and believable. Please forgive me Naruto. Perhaps some bonding time would work? On the matter of letting Naruto decide Sarutobi was waiting for Naruto make the first move- maybe he should just bite the kunai and do it himself. He wasn't just worried for his position, though a few sharks had started circling when they figured out he and the village Jinchuuriki weren't as chummy as before- Naruto had become a second grandson to him, and he'd be damned if he let the boy stay sullen.

"Oh… I was just wondering. Would you like to go get some Ramen? If you're not busy, I mean." Naruto turned away to hide his slight blush. The ANBU posted- Gama squad, according to the roster- breathed a sigh of relief. Many ANBU were tired of their new kohai and their esteemed leader not speaking to each other. Most quietly agreed the Hokage should have made the effort first, but were proud Naruto took the initiative, demonstrating loyalty and honor.

"Of course. Let me grab my wallet- my treat, all you can eat?" He smiled in amusement when Naruto lit up at the offer and nodded.

"Thank you, Hokage-sama" Naruto blurted out. He may have to bite down his pride and let his anger go-mostly, at least-, but he would never call him 'Jiji' again- both for the principle and to escape his captain's wrath.

"You don't have to be so formal, Naruto, even though you're my ANBU, outside of duty we can be familiar with one another" The Hokage bit out painfully. The man wanted Naruto to be like he used to be, minus the extreme loudness.

"I can't, Hokage-sama" Sarutobi raised his eye brow at this.

"Oh? And why not?" All the ANBU, Naruto included, grew cold, and captain Hawk answers.

"He's on Ro- Tenzo's squad" He said like that answered everything. All the ANBU nodded along, but Sarutobi was still confused.

"Why would it matter to be on Tenzo's squad? He's formal, but what does that matter to Naruto?"

"If he found out I didn't show you proper respect- and he always finds out- then all my ramen would be burned and I'd spend a week being chased by leeches and wood spikes" Naruto shivered. Tenzo made it obvious that calling superiors by 'nick names' would be…unwise. Just ask Hikaru what happened when he called the Jonin commander 'Pinapple-sama' during a debriefing last year.

"I see" Sarutobi said, understanding completely- a captain could punish their subordinates for breaking of any rules- and technically, it was against the rules to refer to those in the higher echelons without proper titles.

Minutes later the Hokage, Naruto, and the other ANBU were sitting in Ichiraku's waiting for the heavenly broth, the squad being rewarded for stopping Konohamaru from bothering the Hokage all day.

"So, brat, what have you been up to on your week off?" Raven asked. Squad Gama consisted of Hawk, Raven, Elk, and Lemur, and were often times teamed up with Ro for duty and group practice, making them familiar enough with Naruto's schedule.

"I took the records rotation- boring, but the paycheck was worth it" Naruto said after eating six bowels. At this they nod- a week of records rotation did pay nicely, but very few did it willingly as it was even worse punishment than watching Konohamaru Sarutobi at the academy. "And Anko taught me two poisons- a sedative and a paralyzer- as well as beginner resistance to them." Most of the common ingredients for poisons were free for the taking in the Forest of Death or surrounding areas, but gathering said ingredients and mixing them properly was too difficult without instruction, even with a guide book- allowing suppliers to overcharge shinobi. Hawk thought for a moment before speaking.

"Say, Naruto. Would you be willing to teach me those two poisons? My squad does a fair amount of retrieval and prisoner escorts- the premade ones always bankrupt us." Sarutobi frowned slightly at this obvious hardship to his shinobi as he listened, but didn't interrupt, wanting to see how Naruto interacted with his comrades.

"Sure- if you teach me two of those advanced trapping knots." Naruto wasn't running a charity, and the two he was talking about were perfect for anchoring wire or rope in high speed wind conditions (and seeing as Naruto had a wind element or could travel to the land of Wind, it was needed) but still be able to be activated with a touch of chakra to the lead string. Problem was, almost no one was adept at those knots and the book that contained this knowledge was pricey. But Hawk was the second best trapper in active ANBU- Naruto was sixth already according to the leader boards- and thus could do them in his sleep.

"Deal" Hawk said immediately. "Kakashi won't be back from his mission by tomorrow- we can start the lessons then?" Naruto smirked and they shook hands, both drooling at the prospect of new abilities. "Of course, even with those knots you'll still be years behind me" Hawk added and Naruto scowled slightly.

"I am pleased to see my ANBU squads work to make each other stronger to protect Konoha" Sarutobi chuckled. Naruto gave a real grin from behind his face mask, and dug into his tenth miso ramen with gusto. For the next hour Naruto joked around and reconnected with the Hokage, the ANBU giving them space after eating their share. Teuchi and Ayame stole glances at the two, but withheld themselves from conversation to allow the much needed bonding time to flourish.

Two days later and Naruto was back for Ro's first practice in almost a week, his wallet stuffed and a weight off his shoulders- well, almost. He didn't trust his Kage on a personal level anymore. He'd die for him, defend his decisions for the village, and kill for him. Trust him to tell him the truth? Hell no. The last few months had allowed Naruto to come to the conclusion that while, despite everything, he didn't hate Hiruzen Sarutobi and could rationalize his choices for the sake of the village- didn't mean the man wasn't going to incur his wrath later-, the Hokage seat was most definitely not for him, and that he personally hated what the position made someone become. His dream of protecting his precious people and getting a ninja cat was noble enough for him, thank you very much.

"I'm glad we're all here- I take it you two were productive?" Tenzo asked, the ghoul face he was known for shining despite it being daylight.

"I did records rotation, learned two poisons-paralyzing and sedative- to save our team budget, and my clones can almost make a dent into the waterfall" Naruto reported. Yugao ruffled his hair.

"That's great, Mouse. Those two will indeed save our wallets. I think you deserve some of my homemade brownies" Everyone else paled at that: Yugao was just as deadly with the kitchen as she was with the sword. Naruto smiled weakly.

"Of course, Sempai. I'd love some of your brownies" to dump in the garbage.

"I lounged around for the week and regret nothing" Hikaru said bluntly. Tenzo rubbed the bridge of his nose. Hikaru was normally a hard worker, but at times he resembled either a Nara or a hyperactive toddler.

"Well, Wolf, I'm truly glad you relaxed the whole time" Tenzo said sounding the opposite. "Today we'll be working on combination attacks and underground battle maneuvers as I noticed on my mission that most can't fight effectively in cramped passage ways where jutsu is unwise and many formations have to be altered. To fix that we'll be learning them today and then taking the sewer shift to practice." Naruto bit back a groan; the sewers had to be combed through every month to check for any activity or traces of intruders. Rarely did a captain request that particular job, and never was it done for training. "Oh, and Wolf?" Tenzo smiled placidly.

"Yes, Captain?"

"I took the liberty of putting you in the corner for the next five office rotations- I hope you don't mind the extra training?"
"Not at all, captain. I live for it" Wolf replied dryly. Perhaps he should have lied and said he read the beginner medical scrolls he bought. No- the man has eyes everywhere.

Three Tuesdays later, bi-monthly gambling night…

Civilians and lower ranked ninja unwind away from their teammates after spending hours of every day with each other. It was common for shinobi- and civilians in some cases- to lead two groups of friendship, the on duty one where ninja would die for their teammates, and the off duty acquaintances that never became more than skin deep. Once one reached jonin level, however, they realize sticking with those you would take a kunai for made for a much more relaxing down time. Many jonin associated with only other jonin, ANBU, and the few up and coming chunin. It allowed them to vent about the scum bags on their last A-rank seduction mission or whine about the Hokage assigning a squad too many assassination missions in a month, causing the squad to contemplate whining like genin for something new. It was this comradeship that kept each one sane and voluntarily hanging out with their teams away from work more times than not. This was the scene ANBU squad Ro was participating in with others of their station.

Naruto stared at his target with calculating eyes, who stared back at him through the dragon mask. Neither would give away anything with their faces, a true test of Naruto's luck was about to happen. He planned to clean his commander out, after catching him red handed swiping his ramen and placing fresh vegetables in their spot. Pranking was forbidden- and unwise as Dragon seemed to have a 'Naruto sense'- but humiliation at the bi-monthly poker game? That, he could do. That, and if the gossip was right, his winnings would let him barter for something useful later.

"Something wrong, Mouse?" Dragon asked coolly, hiding his mirth. Stealing Naruto's ramen after every shopping trip proved to be an excellent workout in avoiding traps. Now he could clean the boy out of his savings, and thus making him reliant on the approved supplies Dragon dropped off. It was foolproof.

Too bad he never heard of Naruto's Uzumaki luck, and the other ANBU and jonin hid their knowledge of the fact well. Even the Hokage had to hide his eagerness at Dragon getting his ass handed to him. The man had foolishly bet an eight year old Naruto he couldn't infiltrate T & I and swipe Ibiki's favorite torture chain. Two days later a dusty and tired Naruto set said chain on Sarutobi's paperwork and walked out while cackling. He learned his lesson.

"No, of course not Dragon-sama. Let's have some fun." Naruto smiled brightly, the cloth mask concealing its morphing into a smirk.

Thirty hands later and Naruto was the proud owner of Dragon's most prized belonging: his limited edition collection of Icha Icha, all forty volumes. They had bet their most treasured objects after Dragon lost all his on hand money- an A-rank missions worth- and Dragon accepted, thinking his hand was good enough and he'd win both his money back and whatever was sealed in the scroll Naruto carried around for the past several weeks- he suspected it was something from Naruto's file, and he couldn't let him keep it for his own security.

"I give up" Dragon finally said, the pain evident in his voice. Nobody moved as he got up and left the room, too prideful to attempt a trade back. Three seconds passed before the room erupted.

"Yes! That's my chibi-kohai! The only ANBU to beat Dragon at anything. That's right, bitches, team Ro rules!" Hikaru boasted to the room, which everyone ignored. Naruto escaped the headlock Hikaru tried with practiced ease.

"Hmm, Icha Icha? Looks boring" Naruto said innocently as he flipped through it, pretending to not notice the spike of killing intent from Yugao and surprisingly Tenzo that died down as he threw them in a pile. Kakashi and Sarutobi gasped.

"If you do not wish to honor the sacredness that is Icha Icha Empire I would gladly take it off your hands, my cute little student" Kakashi said way too cheerfully. Sarutobi snarled at his subordinate for trying to steal his precious.

"Don't be silly, Kakashi, Naruto knows I would be the best choice to guard such a precious supply." The two men glared at each other. Sarutobi prepped to summon Enma while Kakashi inched his headband up. Everyone else in the room sweat dropped, and Hayate prepared to play the part of proctor if need be. Naruto, however, wasn't going to let that happen.

"I might be willing to trade for them. What do have?" Naruto asked, in full bartering mode. At this point the jonin were slightly shocked at the prospect of a twelve year old trading the smut for something while the few ANBU just shook their heads; Naruto had started getting a reputation of trading other members for training, whether it be survival lessons or tactics or the occasional jutsu. Team Gama was a prime example as Hawk and Naruto had an ongoing account. Kakashi knew the drill and put his best deal forward.

"Give me those precious and I'll teach you both a D rank jutsu for water, fire, earth, and lightning and buy you a chakra conductive chukoto- I know you've been eyeing one and that you wouldn't be able to afford it until after the exams, even with the pocket change there." Most in the room believed Naruto would agree instantly which he would have except the Hokage- whom he was back on civil terms with- interjected.

"Naruto, my surrogate grandson. Give me those books and not only will I double Kakashi's offer but…I will tell you your parent's identities" The room stiffened- Naruto's lineage wasn't hard to pinpoint, heck he looked like a clone of his father and now began to act like him too since Tenzo gained command of him.

"Oh, you mean Minato Namikaze and Kushina Uzumaki?" Naruto said with a cocky smirk. Sarutobi and Kakashi face-faulted while the others either broke out laughing or gaped.

"H-how did you know?"

"My mother's name is on the memorial stone, Hokage-sama, and as for my dad" he paused for dramatic effect. "I didn't until you confirmed it." Naruto lied, covering up his border line illegal searches. Sarutobi went bug eyed at this, falling for it completely. To be honest, the Hokage was just using this 'obsessive bartering' to tell Naruto his parent's identity. Kakashi knew, the other room members knew, and Naruto knew the Hokage had been chickening out from having a private heart-to-heart on the matter. It was the only reason Naruto didn't go nuts on the man for his little ploy.

Kakashi chuckled, remembering another blonde who had a flair for making higher ups tell him what he wanted to know without lifting a finger. "But you know Hokage-sama, I'll accept Kakashi-sempai's deal and you'll still be giving me everything you offered minus the information."

"Why would I do that?!" Sarutobi demanded, miffed at being out maneuvered, and still peeved at himself for not being able to work himself up to have a private conversation with Naruto. Naruto inspected his nails.

"Oh, just because if you do I'll train you in the art of defeating paperwork." He pulled out his trump card, which he would have used soon to discover his parent's identities soon enough anyway: now it could be put towards more training. Sarutobi was at his side, bowing down.

"Please, teach me, Naruto-sensei!"

"Very well, my young grasshopper… shadow clones. Now you can train me after the chunin exams. Kakashi-sempai I'll see you Sunday where we can learn a jutsu or two a week. I'll have the ANBU supply store put my weapons on your tab- now I can have a back up chukoto. Oh, and don't worry, I forgive you- I will be pranking you non stop after the chunin exams, but I forgive you, as long as tomorrow I can talk to you privately about it. I have early office guarding, so Ja ne!" And he shunshined away before anyone could get a word in.

Five minutes later Sarutobi smiles gently and then chuckles. "He wants to talk tomorrow. And he forgave me. Maybe there is hope for me yet, even if I will have to go through his vindictive side of pranks first. Excuse me, I have paperwork to give to clones." And the 'god of shinobi' follows his surrogate grandson's example, leaving behind a stunned crowd.

"Does anyone else feel inferior to the twelve year we could all beat into next week with our hands tied behind our back?" Gemma manages after a moment.

"Absolutely" was the unanimous reply. Hikaru felt the need to sooth their prides a tiny bit.

"If it makes you feel any better we'd have to fight him with only one hand restrained- he graduated from no hands last week." He joked. Somehow that made them feel worse.

Naruto's apartment…

Naruto lay awake, giddy but saddened by the night. On one hand he not only confirmed his parent's identities and set up the basis for any revenge pranks, but he got eight new jutsu in the making- being a Jinchuuriki had the perk of having enough chakra to perform a variety of jutsu from every element- even those opposite in nature. On the other hand, he had expected a different scenario for his heritage reveal- something…more heartfelt? At least he had a meeting tomorrow to talk to the Hokage about it in private.

The last few months had been the highlight of Naruto's life. No one looked down on him except some older ANBU from the other squads- but Dragon put that to rest quickly during the first inter squad training day. Tenzo told him last week how they were ordered to steer Naruto away from the village's eye while on the three month grace period. Team Ro all looked guilty at that and believed Naruto would hold a grudge over it- he didn't. In fact, Naruto only snuck away to Ichiraku's occasionally now (much to Dragon's ire, who for some reason detested his habit). Other-wise, he shopped, ate, and hung out at the upper level shinobi only establishments, becoming a part of the older generation of shinobi's circle, realizing it was overall better than his life before with civilians and younger shinobi. Many hardly gave him a second glance now after Hikaru had paraded Naruto around the hot spots two weeks after his enlistment. His life was just beginning to settle before tonight happened.

Knock. Knock. "Naruto, I know you're up. I'm coming in." Kakashi's muffled voice grows distinct as he works his way to Naruto's bedroom. Entering quietly the copy ninja takes in the slightly messy room and quarter filled book case. On it were novels on everything from chakra control to a few comics. There was even a lone cook book for shinobi. "I see you took up reading?" He asked, a bit surprised. Naruto wasn't exactly the most studious ninja based on his academy records. For his part Naruto glared, and in the moonlight it was terrifying to see those ice blue eyes almost glow.

"I always liked to read, sempai, I just never had enough money to afford more than a couple before the yearly break in on my birthday would destroy them. My academy grades were falsified- I made A's and B's on every test for the last two years, but Mizuki graded for Iruka." What went unsaid was him changing the papers out, and Kakashi winced at his own stupidity. "It's okay, I know it will take years before people see me as more than a failure, and my prankster reputation didn't help things."

"Heh, you do have a larger vocabulary now than a few months ago" Kakashi commented. Naruto smiled slightly.

"Yeah, well that's captain Tenzo- he doesn't 'tolorate Ro members being unrefined in speech' so he assigns vocabulary work(AN: Am I the only one that can viably see Tenzo's personality making him a speech Nazi- I feel the only reason he didn't beat manners and respect into Naruto was for plot continuity on Kishi's part)- not that Hikaru does it." Both chuckle at the abnormal Hyuga and his ability to cause Tenzo headaches. The room then falls to an uncomfortable silence, and Naruto fidgets. "Is there something you need or do you just like breaking into your neighbor's homes in the middle of the night?" Kakashi sputtered.

"N-no! I came here… to talk. Your father was my sensei and that's why I started teaching you, though now I do it because you are my favorite student, more so than my idiot team." It was true to; Kakashi often grumbled about the said three idiots at dinner.

"Oh. Did they…did they love me?" Naruto looked up with glistening eyes, asking the question he had wanted to ask for years but could never muster the courage to- the records discovery made him even more curious.

Kakashi scoffed. "Love you? They adored you. In fact, when sensei heard that Kushina was pregnant he fainted before using hirashin to announce it to all his close friends. There was one time…" And stories passed by Kakashi's lips like a dam being released. Both shinobi found solace and closure with each word uttered until they found themselves clutching their sides from the 'Great Ramen Chase' that resulted in Minato proposing to Kushina at Ichiraku's.

"Haha. My dad knew how to pick them and" Conversation stopped as Kakashi's ANBU tattoo pulsed with Naruto's. Village infiltrated. Eight alive perpetrators, attempted assassination of Hokage. Failed, but the survivors on the run. All active squads: plan Delta. Retired and reserve: report to Hokage tower. Naruto's blood chilled even as he unsealed his spare uniform and mask. After months of drills and mornings with Gai he was dressed in thirty seconds. Without a word Naruto leaps through his window and towards the Inuzuka compound, Kakashi going the opposite direction to meet the reserve captains.

Naruto lands in the meeting spot along with two other agents, an Aburame and Hikaru.

"Wolf, Lemur" he saluted. Without a word the three turned their attention to Tsume Inuzuka, the ANBU's top search and retriever even in her middle age. Naruto was often included in the division's simulations because of his clones and as such Tsume knew his abilities.

"Listen up!" She barked. "eight ninjas wearing scratched headbands of Kiri escaped through the eastern forest after a failed ambush of Hokage-sama on his way home after a stroll, his guards were knocked unconscious. We managed to kill ten of them so these eight are the stragglers. Everyone, to your assigned teams for this; Mouse, two hundred clones- three for each team and the rest as pursuers." Naruto complied, and two hundred puffs later the ANBU were off with the clones to pursue. Naruto sat down next to Hana, Tsume's daughter, who was on medical leave and had a head set connected to each captain. Meditating, Naruto waited for a clone to dispel with information, which he would then tell Hana to relay to the captains, as the radios couldn't handle it if everyone was talking at once-not to mention they were ridiculously expensive-, and the tattoos couldn't go as fast, and were used as a mass call mostly.

Less than twenty minutes pass before a rush of memories hits Naruto.

"Hana! Five clicks north east- blue squad, clone found the trail headed towards Rice." Hana spoke rapidly into her mic and the ANBU began making their way towards blue squad.

"Good work Mouse… shit, they found five, but the last three are missing!" She curses before a kunai embeds into Naruto's shoulder. Hana grabs his collar and yanks him through the air to avoid an explosive note. A ninja with a slashed Kiri headband lands opposite of them, holding an unconscious and beaten Sasuke Uchiha. The other two at his side stepped forward, ready for a fight.

"I think we found the missing three" Naruto commented dryly. Hana glared.

"No dip, mutt. These three smell at least chunin level too. Damn, the whole clan and ANBU are out, and my ninkin joined in." Their backup at the tower was on their way but still six minutes out and the non tracker ANBU were sweeping other, further away places of interest for sabotage or stragglers.

"We just have to hold them for six minutes- I'm sure we can do it. Here is what I think will work, captain taught me this strategy during shogi" Naruto whispered. Hana looked unsure as the insane idea based solely on assumptions and hoping was laid out in a matter of seconds. But, she told her rational side of her brain, they either went through with it or the two forming seals in front of her would kill them.

As the two in front created a mist, Hana kawarimis with a Naruto clone on the roof top, who is henged to look like her. She waits for the opening- they'd have one shot to take them out.

"A little ANBU wants to play, eh? Kukuku. What point should I take? Heart, Larynex? So young and brave, too bad you have to die!" The taller of the three cackles and his footsteps echo. Four Naruto clones holding kunai search around the mist using scent and sound- not that it helped, and three are taken out quickly. The real Naruto ducks under a katana intent on lopping off his head with enough force to cut a wall. In the process Naruto knicks him with his own kunai in the leg. He smirks, and does the one thing Tenzo always griped about- he talked to an opponent in a fight.

"Heh- you're not so tough, I've had villagers hit harder than you. I recognize you from the bingo book- Rai Yano, AKA the Mist's one fanged dragon for your abilities in kenjutsu. A B class, I believe, but that last attack felt more like a genin swatting a training post on an empty stomach." The newly identified Rai fell for it hook line and sinker, roaring in frustration. Naruto easily weaves in and out at the close range ragged attacks that had a basic pattern. He was less adept than Yugao at the art and Naruto got in two other jabs, this time in the arms as he launched himself above using Rai's sword as a spring board. From what he remembered from the Bingo book tournament that ANBU hosted every month-the captains way of keeping everyone up to date- Rai was quick to anger and not very bright- his only skill was brutal assaults and the hidden mist jutsu, not anything that required a lot of brain power. Rai looked confused as he felt his body going stiff, before not being able to move at all. "Bingo" Naruto says before a clone slices his throat from behind. Naruto goes through a few seals, releasing a

"Wind style: Great break through!" The already weakening mist is blown away completely, allowing Hana her shot.

"Gatsuga" Even without her partners her drill attack hits the second one easily as a clone had sliced his hand before being expelled, and he was under the short-term paralysis. The third one looks slightly nervous as he held the Uchiha.

"D-don't come any closer or I'll slit his throat! I swear I'll do it! Let me go and I'll" His eyes widen and he screams as a chidori is slammed through his chest. A murderous looking Kakashi appears from behind, snatching his student away. Without a glance he's off to take Sasuke to the hospital. Several of the reserve and active ANBU surround Hana and her kill, while Dragon and Tenzo land in front of Naruto, who was winding down from the adrenaline.

"Mouse- report" Dragon commands, snapping Naruto back to the situation.

"After we relayed my clone's findings, it became clear that there were three missing from the group, when a kunai hit my shoulder" Here Naruto winced at the memory. A medic wordlessly healed the wound that was rapidly closing on its own. "Hana prevented me from potential injury from an explosive note. The enemy, who were holding Sasuke Uchiha hostage, created a mist and tried that silent killing thing Kakashi-sempai told me about after his Wave mission- anyway, Hana waited on the roof while I got both fighters- the third hung back- with kunai soaked in the paralyzing poison. It worked, and I was able to distract Rai from the poison until it took effect and killed him- Hana got her's as well after I blew the mist away, while Kakashi-sempai took out the third member, taking Sasuke to the hospital, I believe."

"While that worked fine, I remember that strategy being a group effort- not a solo one, Mouse. If they had an immunity to the paralysis or were intelligent"

"Then we would have died. I know, captain. But they were from Water- this variation I used is native to Fire, and as such I took a gamble- otherwise a full on battle wouldn't have worked- I would have had to resort to kenjutsu, some ninjutsu, and shadow clones- one Rai was better at and the other two weak on strategy or easy to dodge." Naruto tilted his head defiantly at his captain- it was the best plan he could think of as Hana was on injury leave and Naruto wasn't fully equipped or with his team. Tenzo sighed after a moment and Dragon nodded.

"You did well, Mouse, even if you did rely on a huge gamble. We'll work on strategies at the next team dinner so you won't have to resort to such an iffy plan again, okay?" Tenzo left after giving Naruto a final once over. Dragon chuckles a bit.

"He cares for you- was frantic the entire run over here. You are on standard medical leave for two days- be at HQ at ten am for personal training. I'll work with you until your meeting with the Hokage." And Dragon leaves to find where the mole was, leaving a trembling Naruto behind him.

Dragon was a patient man, he liked to believe. But now was not the time to play the board with deliberation and waiting around- twenty two shinobi, all defectors from Mist, staged a fake attack on the Hokage and bombed a few other buildings of note, all for the sake of stealing a high value target, the last loyal Uchiha. Worse, they were headed towards Rice, where Jiraiya's spy network and his men reported a new hidden village, one that coveted missing ninja and bloodlines. Dragon knew he was not seeing something- a final piece, as such a small village wouldn't normally attempt the ire of the strongest of the five. In exasperation he storms to the T & I, where one survivor was hanging onto life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140K 5.5K 39
So I died. No point on beating around the bush. Now I'm in a place Shizen calls Naruto. Okay, let's have some fun. Sorry for the bad description...
2.7K 35 15
Im a bad writer so apologies in advance Slow updates Based after chapter 9
748 29 10
This story is a continuation of the original Numbers on katreadz. I am the same person, just wanted to let you guys know that chapters 1-14 are on th...