Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

9- Book Club Initiation

622 22 0
By a-girl-who-wishes

I was quickly changed. Lady Horla sent me an invitation for late tea early this morning. In the invite, she wanted to celebrate our survival from the serial killer. As I was changing, Elric came and told me of the current news. When I returned from the Magic Tower and told him of the inspection of the magical weapon Master Ofran would do, he went to update the Imperial guards.

Now, he has told me that the Count is still refusing to claim that his son is the serial killer. He claims that the attacker was drunk and is trying to put the blame on Horla and I for walking in the Underbend as women. I started to get angry from behind the curtain. Elric tells me not to be too upset, that he's already fighting with him via our group of lawyers working with the Horla lawyers as well.

Once I'm changed, I tell him that I'll be attending tea with Lady Horla. He nods, telling me not to push myself as he stands up. He walks over to me, staring intently at my face. I bet he's looking at the potions that I took to heal the wounds. He says I'm looking much better, and with the ointment I was given, I should have no scars. But for now, I just have a red scar down my neck.

We talk for a few moments as I get the rest of my jewelry on. I have stopped wearing necklaces because it triggers the feeling of the coarse rope around me when I fell to my death. Instead, I've chosen to have my hair down, fancy hair ornaments take the focus off of my neck. I still wear the elaborate earrings, bracelets and rings.

Once done, Elric walks me to my carriage. We keep up an affable conversation, he makes a joke and I start laughing at it. We chuckle about it, a joke from a new series of books that 'just came out'. He puts me on my carriage where Sir Elliot is ready to go. Soon enough I'm on my way and I wave goodbye to Elric.

I look down at the invitation, knowing that I would be walking into a group of young ladies who did not like me in the past. However, I need them to like me and I need them to be my friends, my allies against her. I sigh, hoping I can do it. Her friend group is very influential, they were originally hers. I close my eyes, the many hours of staying awake now getting to me.

I'm shaken awake and I open my eyes to see Sir Elliot staring at me. He tells me we've arrived and I nod, stretching my arms above my head and he exits the carriage. I step out and take his arm, making sure to grab my gift before leaving. I look at the Count's mansion. It's pretty big, but my mansion is bigger which isn't surprising.

A butler waits for us on the top of the steps. He tells me that everyone has already been seated, and they're waiting for me. He instructs us to follow him to the garden. It's a short walk, and the garden is beautiful. I see a table of young ladies, ladies who tormented me in the past. But, this time is different. I rarely go out on social parties, this is the first time since my engagement a year ago.

I separate myself for Sir Elliot, telling him to stay around but not to cause trouble and relax if he can. He nods and leaves me. I walk towards the ladies and see Lady Horla eagerly wave. This grabs their attention and I put a smile on my face as Lady Horla skips over to me.

"Master Solon!" She greets me, wrapping her arms around my arm. My smile softens as I notice she uses my preferred name.

"Hello Lady Horla, I made you a gift." She gasps and sits me on the seat next to her.

"You- you shouldn't have!" She sits down. "I'll open it after I introduce you to everyone. This is Lady Marlene Down, her father is Duke Down. This is Lady Emry Accott, her father is Count Accott. This is Lady Olga Warrens, her father is Count Warrens. Lastly, Lady Tabitha Perks, her father is Duke Perks."

In sequential order is the young Lady Down with thick black hair and bangs hanging over her eyebrows. She has a pretty dress on, and elaborate jewels. Lady Accott has bright orange hair and green, shining eyes that eagerly look at me. Lady Warrens has blonde hair and blue eyes, a gentle smile on her face, a face of an angel but she's pretty vicious. Lastly, Lady Perks her soft brown hair and matching eyes, eyes casted down in a glare as she looks at me.

"Hello everyone, I'm happy to be joining you." I greet them all with the friendliest smile I can muster. I sit down at my seat and look at Lady Horla.

Lady Horla opens the simple packaging of the gift. Inside is a simple bracelet with an emerald at the base. I know it isn't the most prettiest or expensive gift, but it is important.

A chuckle cuts off my thoughts and I turn to see Lady Perks laughing at me. "It's a pathetic looking gift. Has your allowance decreased that much? It doesn't seem like a gift worthy of Duke Solon." She and Lady Warrens start chuckling.

"If you must know, my allowance is extremely high on top of the amount of money I make as being Master Mage of Ancient Magic at the Magic Tower. Besides, this gift is much more important." I toss her a glare and the two fiends freeze. I extend my own hand which shows a matching bracelet. "When the wearer has it on, they will receive no injuries and they will not be sick. After our recent, close encounter to death and I've heard of Lady Horla's low immunity, I decided to gift her this. Any knowledgable and educated person would know this bracelet's importance."

"Master Solon," Lady Horla sighs and grabs my attention. "This is too much! I can't accept it!"

I reach over and put my hand on her arm. "We could have died. You gave me courage to fight and you protected me after I was hurt. You deserve it." She nods and I put the bracelet on her.

At that moment, our tea and food arrive. I look at the girls, some have kinder faces while Perks and Warrens seem mad. I don't mind too much.

The maids put our food down and leave, ready on stand- by. Conversation strikes again. This time, it's about an opera singer famous across the continent. She will be coming next month, singing for the noble and wealthy. We make plans to see her, and I'm rather pleased to see I am invited and not added extra thought just because I was there.

Lady Accott sits next to me, and she physically looks very attentive towards me. Her body faces me, she searches for my thoughts on topics and has an eager smile. Once I said I would go, she and Lady Horla grinned happily and clapped their hands.

Conversation then shifts to Lady Warrens and the subject of her upcoming engagement. She acts modest, but Marquis Florn is a powerful man. I recall he's handsome, kind and rich. Because of that, many seek him out and his growing family business. Then subject changed from her lovely relationship to mine, or lack- of.

"Lady Solon,"

"Master," I cut off Lady Warrens. "I've worked extremely hard for my title, therefore I shall be referred to as such." I flash her a warm smile to show her no ill harm for now.

"Master Solon," She corrects herself. "I was wondering how you and my cousin are. I hear it's been many days since he's last seen you. I started to think he no longer cares for... love."

I sip my tea, the sweetness overbearing. I lower the cup and force my face into a small frown, trying to act like the meek Lady Horla.

"In all honestly, I feel like I try my hardest for him to be warm to me. As his cousin, you should know how he is." I sigh and place a hand on my cheek.

A hand touches mine and I look to see Lady Horla smiling softly. "You don't have to speak on private matters here."

I shake my head. "No. Since I am here, among new friends... can I call you friends? Friends I can seek advice to?" I watch the girls trade worrying but apprehensive looks before nodding. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to know the thoughts of the silent Duchess.

"Please think of me as a friend." Lady Horla says and they then repeat the phrase one by one.

I nod my head. "When I was younger, I've always wanted to be loved. My mother died, my father is rather cold and my brother... we're mending our relationship. I had always hoped my husband would be the ray of light in the cold mansion I grew up in. But, when I'm with him..."

I stop myself by grabbing the napkin and putting it under my eye to feign sadness. Lady Horla's hand on mine tightens. She tosses me and encouraging smile. My voice shakes with practiced prose.

"When I'm with him, he doesn't speak to me. I start a conversation and he tells me to be quiet. I've tried to find the things he likes, asked servants, butlers and his passed siblings but it's all useless. He never cared for me, no matter how many times I came to him and opened up to him, he would ignore me."

"Sounds like my cousin, unfortunately." Lady Warrens sighs. I look up at her, eyes tearing up. "He's a cold man, sometimes I think he lacks a heart."

"I've read the Wayward King and thought the idea of 'when she's not here, I miss her' will get him to realize that I truly do care for him and that eventually he will come to me." I let go of Lady Horla's hand and dab my eyes, fake tears threatening to fall. "He- he has yet to visit me even after my almost death!" I finish with a cry.

Instantly, the ladies get out of their seats and comfort me. Worried voices try to comfort me and curses and such are aimed at the heartless prince.

"Master Solon," I look up at Lady Warrens' voice. "I am sorry my sorry- excuse of a cousin has treated you that way. You are a strong woman, which I will admit I have always been envious of. He shouldn't be making a strong woman look weak."

"Weak?" I hiccup and shake my head. "Oh, please don't say anything out of our circle. I... I don't know what came over me. I've never confided this to anyone besides Lady Horla and..."

Lady Down holds my had. "No one will hear of this. In all honesty, no one should be treated the way you are." I look at her, sincerity in her eyes and I feel almost bad for lying.

"In all honesty, there are bad rumors about you, Master Solon." Lady Perks speaks up. "They all say how heartless and cruel you are, especially towards the Prince. But now we see they are all false. Someone must be trying to make you look bad."

I watch uneasy eyes fall to Lady Warrens. She's the Crown Prince's cousin. He murdered his siblings to make sure he's the sole heir, he banished the half- prince and he basically blacklisted his cousin the Northern Duke. She's the only one he speaks to and rumors about him are carried out through her.

"We'll put a stop to those rumors. All of us," Lady Warrens speaks up, determination in her eyes. The other ladies stand up and walk to their seats again. "You are one of us, a young lady with idealistic beliefs on love and life but forced to push them aside for the cruel reality."

I smile, raising the glass of champagne I didn't touch and they follow my movement. "To new friends and to open hearts!" I cheer and they copy my statement before sipping the champagne.

Conversation then flows naturally. We all speak up equally and I am happy to be included. I look around, even happier to know I gained somewhat of a trust with them.

My main goal of this was to look strong, magic wise, but emotional and idealistic for the girls to relate to me. I want to befriend them. They could be fun or dull, it didn't matter to me. Their social influence was all I wanted.

Somewhere in the conversation, I find out they're in a book club. They talk about the new book in which Lady Down is now choosing. Every month, they read a book and discuss it. I didn't read today's book, but it was interesting to hear of the content.

I quickly join the club, having heard Lady Down's choice, I am eager to read. She invites us to her mansion in a months time, saying that she will have an activity lined up with the book.

The tea party soon ends. Lady Warrens walks with me, arm around mine as we talk. After the conversation about her cousin and my fiancé, she seems to have taken quite a liking to me. She tells me to warn her when the Prince is rude and she will yell at him for my sake. I chuckle and nod, not expecting that to ever happen.

When we get to our carriages, I see Sir Elliot already waiting. Before entering, I hug goodbye to all of the ladies. I am surprised to feel eager to see them again. Lady Horla makes a big show about the necklace and how she can never repay me but she will forever be indebted to me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48K 1.6K 49
She lead a rather tragic life. The black sheep of her family due to her lack of affinity for fire. Her affinity was quite the opposite. Water in fac...
2.6K 51 15
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
159 6 12
Two twin sisters drifted apart because of misunderstandings and screaming by there on family no less. Zan Cui the one with a dragon fate was seen as...
24.4K 998 26
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...