The Rising Moon

By ConnieandSasha

Sunfern is about to discover the secret, long forgotten, past of his clans, Moonclan, Sunclan, Nightclan, and... More

Clans
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8

Chapter 7

1 0 0
By ConnieandSasha

Springpaw and Frostpaw had almost collapsed. Their paws were scraped. Moonfall was nudging them along as they fell asleep on their paws. Scarfeather was at the head, encouraging everyone to keep going. Sunfern looked through bleary eyes at the setting sun.

"Scarfeather, we've been going all day. The apprentices are tired and have thorns in their paws. Let's rest for the night." Sunfern meowed wearily. Frostpaw looked at him thankfully and flopped onto the rocky ground.

They had been going from dawn to moonhigh each day with no breaks. They had made great progress and were only a day or two away from the clans. He couldn't wait for the next Gathering so Goldensky and Featherpool could tell the clans about their history. Then a horrible thought hit him. What if Featherpool is...dead? What if we took too long? It's been almost a moon since we started. Almost. The snow has even started to melt a bit.

"What's on your mind Sunfern?" Moonfall asked him. She shivered, shaking snowmelt off her paws. "This isn't good. It's so muddy from all the snowmelt. But at least newleaf is coming!" She mewed cheerfully.

"Moonfall." Sunfern whispered. "What if...what if we were too late and Featherpool is already, well, gone?" He looked over to make sure the apprentices hadn't heard him. They hadn't.

Moonfall looked at him sadly. Scarfeather came to a stop several fox-lengths ahead. He turned back and went out to hunt. Sunfern knew that Scarfeather was really tired. He just wasn't showing it. Springpaw and Frostpaw fell asleep side by side and Moonfall went to join them. She curled around them as if to keep them warm. Sunfern walked to the edge of the river. Please, Goldensky, be okay. And please, Featherpool, still be at least breathing.

Sunfern looked at the sky to see if any new stars had shown up in silverpelt, but it looked the same as it had last time he checked, which was back when Blackclaw died... Blackclaw. Sunfern thought. Sudden grief and regret struck him. Blackclaw was his mother's older brother, and he hadn't even thought to check on Goldensky then, to see if she was crushed by grief or not.

"Can't sleep?" Scarfeather's mew startled Sunfern back to reality.

"No... I'm guessing same for you?"

"You're too clever."

"I'm really not, I've heard what the others say... they say I'm different, a runt, not fit for the role of deputy." Sunfern's lips trembled, holding back a wail that only a kit would make.

"Sunfern... you are none of those things... except small." he teased. "You were my mentor. Kind, compassionate, brave, agile, great teacher, knowing when to tell me to knock it off, being able to climb the slickest tree to the very top then not being able to get down..."

"Shhhh, that was between you and me!" Sunfern laughed, then his expression softened. "You really are a good friend, and student. I feel much better now."

"Do you want me to spill out all my weaknesses and troubles to you now?" Scarfeather joked.

"Only if you want to."

"Nah, I'm good." The dark tabby warrior meowed.

They both sat there for Starclan knows how long before Scarfeather playfully cuffed him over the ear. They then broke out into a play-fight, laughing and yowling fake battle cries until Moonfall nearly scared the fur off of them.

"You two are loud as howling wolves." she yawned.

"Sorry..." Sunfern apologized.

"It's fine." Moonfall purred and rubbed her muzzle on his cheek.

"Oh, and am I supposedly not here anymore?" Scarfeather scoffed in jealousy.

Sunfern glanced sympathetically at Scarfeather, remembering the breakup with the medicine cat. His poor, heartbroken friend.

"Hey, you can sleep next to me tonight if you want, Scarfeather." he suggested.

"Thank Starclan!" His friend breathed.

"I'll go back to the apprentices then." Moonfall meowed.

Sunfern watched Moonfall walk away, her fur glowing in the moonlight. Maybe he could sleep. With his best friend beside him, and his clanmates around him, maybe sleep would come. Featherpool would still be alive, Goldensky would be happy, and Treepelt would lay off being mean to Sunfern. Or evil. Something was up with her. Sunfern settled down beside Scarfeather, resting his head between his paws. The rushing of the river faded away, and sweet darkness shrouded his mind. Slowly, he felt the ground beneath his paws. He saw a beautiful forest, lush and green, the sun was covered by a cloud, and a tree collapsed, smashing the ground and creating a hole in the sky. Sunfern raced over, seeing a pretty, sleek golden she-cat with brown speckles struggling to escape from under the tree.

"Who are you!? Wait! Stop! Let me help you!" Sunfern called to the she-cat. Sunfern scrabbled at the tree, trying to shred it enough to let the she-cat out. It wasn't working! The she-cat was slowly losing energy.

"Please...Sunfern...don't try to help me. Thank you for remembering our past. I'll never forget you.." The she-cat quit struggling, closing her eyes. Her breath slowed and she relaxed her body. Then, her breath stopped completely.

"Who were you? How do you know my name!? Why won't you forget me? What? What..." Sunfern's eyes brimmed with tears. Who was this strange she-cat? What was she talking about? Thank you for remembering our past? Who's past? Sunfern had so many questions, but none could be answered. He sat by the she-cat, licking her fur. Eventually, darkness faded in.

Sunfern jolted awake as a fat drop of water splashed on him. It's raining. He thought. They should get a move on. Get to camp. Back to home, the forest, the meadows. He sat up and started grooming himself. Occasionally his gaze wandered to Moonfall and the apprentices. They hadn't woken up. He assumed Scarfeather was out hunting. The river gushed by. Sunfern wished he was a Dayclan cat, who could fish with ease. After Sunfern had groomed himself and gotten a drink from the river, Scarfeather returned with prey practically spilling from his jaws.

Scarfeather spat out the food. "Plegh! Here, prey for everyone." His gaze flicked to Moonfall, who was standing up and stretching, her back arching and her fur ruffling. Springpaw blinked open her eyes. "They slept in, huh? How long have you been awake for?"

"Eh, not long. How about you?" Sunfern wondered if Scarfeather slept at all.

"Well...I slept fine! Very rested. Yep..." Scarfeather looked away, towards the trees. Towards home. Sunfern thought. Scarfeather abruptly shook his head, and tossed Sunfern a mouse. "Eat up. We should leave soon."

Sunfern nodded, crouching down, biting into the mouse. It was fresh, and warm. Scarfeather was good at finding the best mice in the forest. Scarfeather trotted to Moonfall and the apprentices. He nudged Frostpaw and Springpaw awake, then woke up Moonfall. All but Springpaw wearily shook themselves to full awakeness. Springpaw bounced up, staring around at the dead, leaf-bare forest, and the cold, rushing river. She walked on the hard pebbles, coming towards Sunfern. Scarfeather sat next to Sunfern, eating a mouse as well.

"Sunfernnn..." She mewed in a whiny voice. "I wanna be hommmme...". Springpaw grabbed a thrush and ate it slowly. Sunfern had thought, by the way she woke up, that she would be cheery. Maybe it was the gray sky or the cold, windy weather, but the usually cheery ginger-and-white she-cat seemed upset.

"We'll be home soon. Why are you so sad?" Sunfern said comfortingly. He gave the she-cat a lick on the ear. "Scarfeather says we'll be back at camp by sun high. Right Scarfeather?" Sunfern mewed brightly.

"Hmm? Oh. Er...yeah." Scarfeather said hesitantly. "We'll be home soon, don't worry, Springpaw!" Scarfeather looked sadly towards where Moonclan camp would be. "I hope.." He added, only for Sunfern to hear.

Moonfall and Frostpaw came over slowly, grabbing a large squirrel to share. Frostpaw took tiny bites, his eyes almost closed. Something wasn't right. The two cats' scents were sour, and their fur was slightly clumped.

"Sunfern..." Scarfeather whispered into his ear. "Moonfall and Frostpaw..."

"Something is off, I know." Sunfern whispered back. "Are they-"

Moonfall and Frostpaw coughed dryly, their bodies shaking. Springpaw glanced worriedly at them, turning her head to look at Scarfeather and Sunfern. Her eyes seeming to say 'what do we do? What's wrong?'. Sunfern shook his head with realization.

They're sick.

Sunfern looked down. This wasn't good. They should get home fast, so Poppyleaf could treat them. Sunfern and Scarfeather gathered Moonfall and Frostpaw together, pushing them as the two toms and Springpaw ran as fast as they could for Moonclan territory. The broke the scent markers, turning and twisting through the trees to get to Moonclan camp. Sunfern smelled his mother, and ran faster. Moonfall stumbled, and Scarfeather picked her up. They had circled! They were back at the border of Moonclan territory.

"Sunfern..please...slow down." Moonfall whispered hoarsley as she stumbled again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 154 26
Follow Rainpaw on her journey through the life of a warrior cat as she learns, discovers love, and finds her true destiny.
43 1 5
The decedents of the ancient clans from many moons ago, Mountainclan, Heathclan, Marshclan, and Swampclan have lived in peace. With new knowledge of...
90 0 27
The four Clans have lived in peace for seasons, but all good things must come to an end. Medicine cats, an integral part of Clan life and leadership...
848 78 25
Storm is a loner with an unusual situation. All she remembers was a strange scene involving the completion of a quest and her name, but everything el...