Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 4

19K 519 400
By BeachSunshine

"No way! You did not tell him that!" Taiya giggled.

"I did!" Kenna nodded excitedly. "He didn't even know what to say to that."

"Wow," Taiya sighed. "Boys are weird."

"You should come back to school," Annie suggested. "See just how weird they really are."

"Yeah... no thank you," Taiya muttered. "What's the point now."

"Education," Kenna answered. "Besides. I'm sure hanging around Finnick every day is sure to rot a few brain cells."

Taiya burst out laughing. "Kenna!" she chided.

"Well, it's true! When he went to school he asked me if one day fish would grow legs and take over."

"Well... I mean it's an interesting question?" Taiya suggested.

"Tay, it's a dumb question," Kenna smiled. "Come back to school."

"I just don't think I'd handle it well. You know, with all the people," Taiya shrugged.

"You're going to the party tonight. Don't you think that's a good test of whether you're ready?"

"Ken, I'm only just starting to feel like myself again. School, that's a big jump. Besides, it's not like I'll ever have to get a job. Isn't that the point of being a victor? I'm set for life."

"That's not a good attitude Taiya," Annie muttered.

"Ok. You don't want to go to school, fine. But trust me. You're missing out on all the best gossip," Kenna smiled as she broke off a bit of bread.

"How could I be missing out when you tell me everything," Taiya laughed as the front door to her house burst open.

"What are you doing?" Tyler demanded.

"Excuse you, this is my house, what are you doing?" Taiya demanded as she stood up from the couch.

Tyler examined the scene in front of him. 3 girls dressed up to go out and snacking away on some seaweed bread.

"Finnick said you came over here and I just thought..."

"What? That I'd come over here to mope again?" she asked and he shrugged. "Get out Tyler," she whined as she flung a throw cushion at him. "We're having girl time."

"I'm going. I'm going. Just call me if you need anything," Tyler agreed as he quickly exited the house.

"Tyler's hot," Kenna announced immediately after he left. Annie and Taiya both turned to look at her, mouths wide open. "It's true," she shrugged unapologetically.

"Gross," Taiya shuddered.

"Hey, just because he's taken you under his wing as some kind of niece doesn't mean the rest of us see him as family. In fact, I wouldn't mind being under him," she giggled.

"Oh my god! Kenna!" Taiya gasped, shoving her friend's shoulder. "You're disgusting."

"Oh come on. It's not like you haven't thought about it with Finnick," Kenna smirked. Taiya tensed up immediately. "Oh, you definitely have."

"It's not like that. It's complicated," Taiya reasoned.

"Oh please," Kenna rolled her eyes. "Not that complicated. He's been obsessed with you for like... ever. And you totally dig him too. Maybe you even love him," she suggested and Taiya glared. "Alright, alright," Kenna backtracked, raising her hands in submission. "I'm just saying. Annie and I have talked about it."

"Kenna!" Annie gasped at being called out.

"Stop corrupting Annie," Taiya sighed as she leaned back on the couch.

"I'm just saying. What are you waiting for? Go for it. You know you want to. He's just waiting for you to give him the signal."

*********************

"Alright," Taiya said as they arrived at the full moon party. "I'm going to go find Shark and Finnick, you guys stay here."

"Go get him!" Kenna cheered loudly.

"Kenna?"

"Yeah?"

"Shut up."

"Got it," Kenna agreed, miming zipping her lips.

Smiling, Taiya walked away to find Finnick and her cousin, who'd agreed to meet the girls there.

"Taiya?" a voice called out and she turned around to see an old classmate.

"Oh, hey, Arno," she smiled as she turned to face him.

"Haven't seen you around in a while."

"Yeah, it's been a hot minute."

"So what've you been up to?" he asked.

She raised her eyebrows and he laughed nervously. "Right. Of course. Dumb question."

"Yeah..." she muttered uncomfortably.

"You want a drink?" he asked, gesturing over to the drinks table set up further on the sand.

"I was actually trying to find..." she trailed off. "You know what. Sure. Why not." She and Arno had always gotten on well, why not try and expand her social circle.

"Here," he said, handing her a cup.

"What is it?" she asked as she sniffed it.

"No idea. Some guys made a deal with the Peacekeepers for it. Apparently, it's the good stuff."

"Smells like it," she cringed.

"I think they said it was called moon something. Figured it was fitting for a full moon party."

"Moonshine?" she asked.

"Yeah! That's it," he nodded. "You've heard of it?"

"Haymitch, the victor from 12 recommended it to me at dinner. Tyler took it away from me," she smiled softly.

"How are the other districts? We never hear anything about them."

Taiya looked up at him harshly and he nodded. "Got it. All Hunger Games talk is off the table."

"Thanks," she muttered as she sipped it.

"You know your dad used to pay the Peacekeepers to look the other way when the full moon parties were on."

"I know," Taiya smiled lightly.

"Good man your dad," Arno smiled.

"He was," Taiya replied. Awkwardly ending that topic of conversation. They stood in silence for a moment as Taiya looked down at her cup before she tipped it back and skulled the rest. Shivering as it burnt on the way down.

"Yeah I don't think you should drink it like that," Arno said nervously.

"Probably not," Taiya shrugged as she refilled her cup. "But why not?"

"You talked to Odair lately?" Arno asked.

Taiya looked at him harshly. "Of course. Why?"

"Just trying to work out what the deal is with you two."

"What do you mean?" Taiya asked.

"Oh, nothing. Don't worry about it," Arno smiled. "Do you want... do you want to go dance?" he asked.

Taiya looked down at the circles of teenagers dancing down by the water's edge.

"Ok," she nodded with a smile. "Let's go."

As she reached the edge of the circle with Arno she noticed Finnick and Shark looking around from beside Kenna and Annie.

"Finn! Finnick!" she yelled as she waved to him, catching his attention. "Come here," she yelled out.

"Taiya," Finnick smirked as he arrived and threw his arm around her shoulder. "How's it going, Arno?"

"It was going great," Arno muttered.

"I'm sure," Finnick smirked as he smiled down at Taiya. "So, what were we doing?"

"We were going to dance," Taiya answered.

"Brilliant, let's go," Finnick clapped, before taking ahold of Taiya's hand as they walked into the circle's edge. "You coming, Arno?"

"You know what. I'll join later. I think I'm just going to go get another drink," he muttered before walking off.

"You're mean," Taiya smiled. "You scared him away," she laughed as she lightly shoved his side.

"Yeah, you're welcome."

"He was fine. He just didn't know what to say."

"Because he was so overwhelmed by your joyful presence maybe," he mocked, making her laugh. "See there it is."

"There's what?"

"Happiness. Lightness. It suits you."

"Finn..."

"I know. Trust me I get it. It takes time. But in the meantime. Would you still like to dance?" he asked, bowing as he held his hand out for her to take.

"You're an idiot," she laughed as she took his hand.

"And you are beautiful," he kissed her hand before quickly yanking her into the circle.

*********************

"I saw you two," Annie said quietly as she and Taiya lay on the sand watching the moon.

"What did you see Annie?" Taiya asked the soft-spoken girl.

"When you were dancing. You didn't kiss him."

"We're in public."

"So?" Annie asked.

"I can't just kiss him in public, Annie. It's complicated," Taiya replied harshly.

"I don't get it," Annie muttered.

"No. You wouldn't. Why would you," Taiya snapped as she stood up and marched away, leaving Annie sitting there confused.

Annie hadn't even done anything wrong. But the issues involved between Finnick, herself, Seneca and President Snow were too complicated to contemplate at a party. She needed space. A break from the questions. That's how she found herself far down the beach by herself, lying down as the tide tickled her toes.

"Want some company?" a familiar voice asked.

"Only if it's quiet, no offence," she replied without opening her eyes. She felt them come and lie beside her quietly.

"Did Annie tell you to come and find me?" Taiya asked after a moment.

"Actually she asked Finnick. I volunteered," Shark answered. "I think you upset her."

"I know," Taiya sighed as she opened her eyes and looked over at her cousin. "I feel bad."

"She gets it."

"It was unfair. I shouldn't have lashed out. She didn't even do anything wrong. It was all me."

"She did say she shouldn't have asked questions," Shark shrugged.

"Why shouldn't she be allowed to ask questions?" Taiya asked. "She didn't ask anything bad. I just got angry. I should apologise."

"I'm sure the moonshine didn't help," Shark sighed as he looked at her cup.

"Probably not," she agreed.

Shark and her lay there in awkward silence for a while until he spoke up and broke the tension. "Can I ask you something? You don't have to answer."

"Sure," she nodded as she looked over at her cousin.

"Why didn't you talk to me? When you got back?"

"Why didn't you see me? Before I left?" she asked back and he looked away.

"I don't know. We were never close growing up. My dad... your mom. It was complicated. And then we started getting close after your parents passed, and I don't know, I guess I just thought it would be easier to deal with if I pretended we still barely knew each other. I regretted it as soon as that train pulled away from the station."

"It hurt me," Taiya muttered. "I didn't really have anyone."

"I know," he agreed. "Is that why you wouldn't see me?"

"Partly."

"What was the other part?"

"I survived. Our aunt didn't. I didn't know how your dad would deal with that. I know my mom was already half-insane when it came to the games. But your dad seems to have it more together. He's better able to deal with grief. I didn't want to know if my survival brought up some bad memories for him. I don't want what happened to my family to happen to yours. It was better for me not knowing how you and your family were coping."

"My dad didn't say much if I'm honest. When you won he said 'girls got spirit', he hasn't mentioned it since."

"Spirit," Taiya laughed.

"You do," Shark assured. "You're trying to do this whole tough girl rage attitude. But that's not you. I know the games scar you. But you don't have to let it change you."

Taiya sighed as she looked up at the moon. He made a good point. She may be permanently scarred by what she'd endured. She'd never be the same. But she was not prepared to lose herself to them.

"Can you do me a favour?" Taiya asked him and he looked over. "Can you tell Finnick I've gone home?"

Shark nodded. "You'll be right getting there?"

"Of course," she smiled. "I'm glad we had this chat."

*********************

"Taiya?" Finnick called out as he entered the house.

"Hey," she called as she sprung up from the couch and ran into the hallway.

"Shark told me you left. Are you ok?"

"I actually think I am," she smiled. "Amazingly."

"Oh. I mean, he said you were fine but I was..."

"I know," Taiya smiled.

"You're smiling. Why are you smiling?" he asked suspiciously.

"What's wrong with smiling?"

"Nothing, you have a lovely smile," he defended. "I'm just mildly confused with what's going on."

"Mildly confused?" she laughed.

"Ok, now you're laughing. Are you drunk?" he smirked as he walked up to her.

"No. I mean I'm mildly buzzed," she mocked his words. "But I know what I'm doing."

"And what are you doing?" he asked.

"Just..." she huffed before she stormed forward and hugged him.

"Woah," he laughed. "How are we doing there Tay?"

"I talked with Shark," she pulled away slightly so she could look him in the eye. "He helped me realise something. I don't want to give the rest of my life to the Capitol. I don't want them to win. I'm letting them win right now. There are very few things I'm certain of. And one of those is what I feel for you. I know what I feel for you. I know that it's real. I actually feel a lot for you. I l..." she started but he placed a finger over her lips, silencing her.

"Don't," he whispered.

"Why not?"

"Tell me in the morning? That way I'll know it's real."

"Finnick I told you. I'm not drunk."

"I know," he nodded as he brushed her hair out of her face. "But I want you to be 100% clear-headed. It'll make me feel better."

Taiya smiled and nodded at him. "Then I'll see you in the morning."

"In the morning," he smiled widely at her.

Taiya began to pull away from him, before quickly pulling herself back and connecting her lips to his. His hands automatically found a place on her waist as her hands found the curls of his hair.

"The morning," she whispered, pecking his lips one last time before racing up the stairs, pausing halfway up to giggle before she sprinted the rest of the way.

Maybe things were finally going to start going back to normal.

Hello, hello. A long-awaited update. Conflicted on whether the angst should keep going or finally let them be happy lol. But then I thought, well the HUnger Games, in general, is so depressing. Let's let them enjoy their lives for a bit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 228 25
"She looks so...innocent." "Believe me, Katniss, she's anything but innocent. She killed eight tributes in her Games; they called her the Clem Reape...
11.2K 354 10
แด›สœแด‡ สœแดœษดษขแด‡ส€ ษขแด€แดแด‡๊œฑ แดกษชสŸสŸ แด…แด‡๊œฑแด›ส€แดส แด‡แด แด‡ษด แด›สœแด‡ แด˜แดœส€แด‡๊œฑแด› แด๊œฐ สœแด‡แด€ส€แด›๊œฑ, แด€ษดแด… แด›สœแด€แด›'๊œฑ แด‡xแด€แด„แด›สŸส แดกสœแด€แด› สœแด€แด˜แด˜แด‡ษดแด‡แด… แด›แด แด˜แดแดส€ แด€สŸแด‡xษช๊œฑ ส€ษชส™ส™แดษด. [๊œฐษชษดษดษชแด„แด‹ แดแด…แด€ษชส€ x แดแด„] แด˜แดœส™สŸษช๊œฑสœแด‡แด…: 05.0...
459K 11.7K 22
"We are simply ash." โ€ขโ€ขโ€ข It had been five years since Autumn's Hunger Games. She now lived with visions and voices that haunted her every night, watc...
333K 7.2K 60
๐š•๐š’๐š‹๐šŽ๐š›๐š˜๐šœ๐š’๐šœ -๐š—๐š˜๐šž๐š— ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐šŽ๐šœ๐š’๐š›๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š•๐šŽ๐šœ๐šœ "Caring too much for my allies had made the loss all the worse, caring...