Canyons of Steel - A modern d...

Von TimHoltorf

What happens when an old gun hand makes a decision to turn his life around and set a new course? In Canyons o... Mehr

Canyons of Steel - Prologue
Chapter One - Part One
Chapter One Part Two
Chapter One Part Three
Chapter One Part Four
Chapter Two Part One
Chapter Two Part Two
Chapter Two Part Three
Chapter Three Part One
Chapter Three Part Two
Chapter Three Part Three
Chapter Four Part One
Chapter Four Part Two
Chapter Four Part Three
Chapter Five Part One
Chapter Five Part Two
Chapter Five Part Three
Chapter Five Part Four
Chapter Six Part Two
Chapter Six Part Three
Chapter Seven Part One
Chapter Seven Part Two
Chapter Seven Part Three
Chapter Eight Part One
Chapter Eight Part Two
Chapter Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Six Part One

327 5 1
Von TimHoltorf

Columbus, Ohio - 8:45 am. - August 24th, 2002

The early morning hours were often busy. People traveling to meetings, to work, shopping, and some joining others for an early coffee. Just another usual day in the city. For Billy Helm, it was a day away from school. He had a dental appointment at 10:45 that morning. The world was still reeling from the effects of an act of terrorism less than a year before, but slowly America continued her routine. For Billy, this didn't mean much, he was too young to truly understand. He just knew that something catastrophic had happened. All he really understood was that he had a dental appointment.

The sky was clear, the wind was calm. Billy's mother went about her business as she always would on an outing. Having her son in tow wasn't a bother, Billy was a good boy, and always kept close to her, even if his eyes did often wander in amazement. And this day was not unlike any other for him to look at everything around him. Cars, trucks, taxis, police cruisers, shoppers and shop keepers. It was always the same. But each day filled with new hope that something would change.

"Mama!" he cried in amazement as he tried to get his mother's attention, tugging on her arm.

"Billy please," she huffed slightly, annoyed but also partially amused. "Mrs. Garrison and I are talking. Why all the excitement?"

"Look!" he said as he pointed skyward. For a fleeting moment, his mother thought the worst. The questions raced through her head as her head seemed to turn as though stuck in molasses. Why would anyone strike Columbus? But that question was soon dropped when she saw what her son was pointing at.

They tilted and reeled like real birds. But they looked human. Their speed was amazing. And they swooped down so close, she could almost reach out and touch them. A man and a woman, dressed in tight fighting uniforms, and wearing wings and they were flying. She could only stare in awe, as a new question came to mind. I wonder if my therapist is available this afternoon.

Hawk's Scream and the Grey Kestrel flew through the streets with speed and grace of their namesakes. The great birds of prey that could fly with amazing speed as they hunted down their quarry, or migrated easily from region to region. But these two had a higher purpose than simple hunting or gathering as the buteo's they emulated. They had their target in sight. The steps of the Columbus City Police Department. There, Maxwell could see the figures of Inspector Juan Cortez and three uniformed officers. As they drew closer, one of the officers pointed skyward.

It was always a thrill to see the look on someone's face as they would fly in, and land with ease, as though the wings had always been a part of them. One of the officers tilted his hat up and simply let out a low whistle in amazement. Citizens of Saskatoon and Ottawa had grown used to Hawk's Scream and Grey Kestrel. But for Columbus, this was something completely different. Inspector Cortez huffed slightly, impressed but not showing it. He didn't want to see the likes of these to become replacements for him. "I take it that you are Lieutenant Running Cloud," he called out toward Naomi as she began her descent.

"That's right, Inspector," she called back, moving herself to land correctly, using the wings like a chute to slow her descent and allow her feet to touch the ground softly. "Code named Grey Kestrel. Pleased to meet you, Inspector," she said as she walked up to Cortez with an outstretched hand. Cortez quickly shook it and watched as Hawk's Scream landed next to his sister. He was tall and well muscled. Not someone you really wanted to mess with.

"I take it you are Professor Running Cloud?"

"That's right, Inspector," Maxwell replied with a nod, his voice sounding tinny through the speakers of the ventilator mask. "Max is just fine, however. I know I don't have military or police credentials..."

"That's fine," Cortez quickly interrupted Maxwell with a wave of his hand. "The more assistance the better." He motioned for the pair to follow as the uniformed officers took up flanking positions. Cortez explained the situation as they walked. "The FBI called after I gave you the okay, Lieutenant. They gave us more information. Seems a flight came in last night with a suspicious name that was flagged. A Russian by the name of Kovolenko. FBI has had him on the terrorist watch list for years. Highly dangerous. So I'm glad of any help we can get." As they walked, Naomi caught sight of the other officers that stood on the stairs and overheard quiet whispers from several of them. She suspected this wasn't exactly an everyday occurrence.

Cortez opened a set of double doors and directed they to enter. Police officers from all departments were sitting down. A morning roll call, one that Naomi had been involved with during a man hunt in Kamloops. Again, the stares came. It didn't bother her. She suspected a pair of First Nations wearing close to traditional dress and wings wasn't exactly a usual sight for the officers. Granted, Maxwell's uniform carried more of the traditional concepts in their culture than her own. She wore a very simple headband with a pair of eagle feathers tucked tightly inside. But aside from her exterior look, she was all business. And in this room, her military rituals began to come forward.

A gray haired, but well muscled plain clothes officer stepped forward. Right away, Naomi could sense the air of authority that surrounded him. This must be Captain David Schwartz. She gave him a salute as he came closer. He smiled and waved a dismissive hand. "No need for the formalities, Lieutenant. I appreciate the respect, but we've got a bigger problem on our hands." He turned back to the front of the room and tacked seven pictures up onto a metal white board. "Ladies an' gentlemen, these are the suspects that we are going after. We have a vague idea of why they are here, but both the FBI and CSIS have confirmed they are to be considered dangerous." He pointed to a surveillance photo of Dimitri Kovolenko. "This one in particular. According to the FBI, he has quite the rap sheet. Lieutenant Running Cloud has more information as well on the other suspects." He motioned toward Naomi who walked to the front of the room. Her wings seemed to tuck in close to her as she walked.

"According to the profile that RCMP Lieutenant Christa Rayne put together on Operative Violet Rose," Naomi said as she pointed to an enhanced photo of the grizzled gunslinger. There were a few snickers at her pronunciation of lieutenant, as it sound very much like the British left-tenant. "He is former U.S. Military. Given a dishonourable discharge in 1993 after events in Somalia, he fled the States, never to be seen again. Rayne believes he can be talked to, due to the fact that her own investigations proved that his discharge was political more than anything he had done in Somalia. Rose was used as a scapegoat. But there is no solid proof either way." She pointed to the next photo, this one of Monty. "Malcolm Montgomery Watt. Australian, served with Emergency Services and applied for the Sydney Police force. Then his history falls off the face of the Earth. Until Rayne began investigating Rose. Watt is the second in command of this small unit and extremely loyal to Rose. Rayne believed that Rose hand picked his soldiers, for loyalty first. However, it is unknown what this organization's recruiting process is like. CSIS and the RCMP have very little outside of those two."

Cortez stepped forward and pointed to the picture of Kovolenko. "Be careful with this one. He's former KGB, and Moscow police. According to the Kremlin's records, Kovolenko was considered a radical. A true believer in the communist doctrine. No clue what he's doing in this so called Red Hand." Cortez sighed as he stuck his hands in his pockets. "But that still leaves us with one small detail..."

Maxwell slowly put up his hand and coughed. The sound came out rather metallic. All eyes turned to him. Cortez looked to Schwartz for a moment. The police captain motioned to Running Cloud. And Naomi smiled as her brother stepped forward. The large Dakota man unstrapped the ventilator mask from his face so his words could be heard more clearly. "I managed to make my own investigations, but this around the university itself. Earlier, both Naomi... rather, the Lieutenant," he smirked as he looked to his sister. "At least maybe I should call you that in this room, huh Sis?" The other officers laughed as Maxwell made his comment. Naomi just rolled her eyes. Maxwell still had his gift for easing tensions in a room. "Anyway, a few of the professors remember a luncheon several months ago. A very influential Senator had made a rather large donation to a section of the University. But a few of them have heard rumours that he is being leaned on to push through legislation that may be very unpopular. Legislation that he has adamantly been opposed to in the past." Maxwell let this information sink in for a moment, several of the officers looking toward him quite thoughtfully. "The Senator's son has recently enrolled in classes at the University. It's my belief that these men may be after him. His name is Gerald Cleaves. Currently, he's taking classes in law and economics. The boy himself isn't a threat, but still he could be used as leverage against the Senator." Maxwell looked to his sister as he completed his own descriptions. She gave him a thumbs up and smiled. Shoulda joined the military or police force yourself, Maxie, she thought to herself.

"Okay," Schwartz announced with a clap of his hands. "First detail, check where this kid is. We tail him like glue. I want uniformed officers in plain sight and snipers in position. Plains clothes will be monitoring things as well." He turned to Maxwell and Naomi and seemed to smile slightly. "Eyes in the sky?" he asked.

"Already on it, Captain," Naomi said with a grin and gave him a thumbs up. "We'll have our comms set to your frequency and keep in touch."

"Alright people," Schwartz barked. "Let's go!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

333K 28.2K 35
[THIS IS AN OLD DRAFT. Please read the rewrite that is currently up on my profile] ............ "Look, man, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to rob the...
33.5K 1.3K 28
Inbetween crime fighting there's life. Life for Batman and Superman even if their villains don't see that. Batman especially has been dealing with mo...
25.1K 663 69
Ricky Bowen, Nini Salazar-Roberts, E.J. Caswell, and Gina Porter are a group of friends that are part of a bigger group of friends. Their all enroll...
54.1K 1.4K 44
What happens when you mix a system that rewards the most popular and talked about influencers with high-octane powers, money and fame? Absolute chaos...