Nightfall

By Star_of_the_West

Betrayed and stripped of a majority of his power by the Valar, Olraun is cursed to wander this new world, no... More

1-Prologue
2-Lord-Seeker
4-Irythill
7-The Profaned Capital
8-Fire and Ice
5-Ambitions of Lords
9-The Beginnings of a Fledgling Nation
10-Duties of a King
6-The King of Dragons
11-Makings of a Blade
12-Bonds Eternal

3-On the Edge of the Abyss

65 1 0
By Star_of_the_West

Anri and Horace stood at the stairs and looked down the stairs and looked back to see Olraun on a knee. They rushed to his side, but he held a hand up reassuringly. "I'm alright. Took a knife to my side, but I'll be fine. I need to return to Firelink for a bit. If you continue forward, mark your path so I can follow when I return. And most importantly stay together," Olraun said as he held his hand over the bonfire and disappeared.

Olraun stumbled out from the bonfire and jumped down to where Yoel was, only to find his corpse. He felt the hair on his neck stand up as he summoned a spectral sword and swung at head level behind him, only for it to be blocked by a near invisible katana blade. A intricate steel mask looked back at him as he steadied his hand.

"Impressive, my Lord. Few have survived my blade, and even fewer blades can block Darkdrift," the figure, apparently a woman, remarked.

"Who are you, and why did you kill Yoel?" Olraun asked as they backed away from each other.

"I am Yuria of the Sable Church of Londor. And I did not kill Yoel as he was my friend. But I assume you might be curious as to why I'm here," Yuria asked.

"Possibly," Okraun said as he de-summoned his weapon.

"Did Yoel perform a ritual with you involving your Dark Sign?" Yuria asked.

"Yes. Claiming to make an attempt at making me stronger," Olraun responded.

"Then you are on you way then," Yuria said.

"On my way to...?" Olraun inquired.

Yuria turned to look directly at him as she responded: "The path to usurping the First Flame and taking it yourself, to becoming the Lord of Londor, land of hollows."

"Is it to late to turn back?" Olraun said as he rubbed his forehead.

"I'm afraid so, my Liege," Yuria replied as she nodded.

"Well, what's the worst that can happen. Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to my companions," Olraun stated as he turned to leave.

"Journey safely, My Lord," Yuria said with a bow.

Olraun frowned in displeasure as he went to the bonfire and returned to the bonfire in front of the Catacombs. He walked down the steps and squinted as he attempted to see in the darkness. Removing an old torch from its holder, Olraun snapped his fingers as a spark flew off his gauntlet and ignited the torch and he held it high as he drew his sword and began walking through the dark hallways and avoided falling through holes in the floor. Aside from the occasional cursed skeleton that attacked every now and then, Olraun made his way through the passageways swiftly till he heard chainmail rustling around the corner. He raised his sword to strike but stopped when he saw Anri.

"Anri, you almost got...wait, where's Horace?" Olraun asked as he looked for Anri's silent companion.

"We got separated. Much to my shame, I was ensnared by a trap and he was nowhere to be seen, but I heard a raspy cry of pain later. It was him, I swear. I've searched but I can't find him. Will you help me? Please?" Anri pleaded as she held Olraun's arm.

"Lead the way. And don't worry, we'll find him," Olraun said reassuringly as he tapped his sword-clenched fist against her shoulder lightly. "Keep your guard up. These catacombs aren't the best place for normal folk to exist in. We'll search as long as we can, but we will have to move quickly or we may have bigger problems."

"Normal folk? Bigger problems?" Anri said in steadily shakier voice.

"The darkness of the Abyss taints and corrupts all. The Abyss is old, but the evil and corruption I bear is older and far more fearsome. I'm concerned for others. Enter the legendary Artorias the Abysswalker. As far as problems, Carthus was once a great kingdom. But its ruler, the High Lord Wolnir, sought power from the Abyss, dooming his entire kingdom.  Hence its importance to the Abyss Watchers.  I fear what other ancient terrors Wolnir dabbled with," Olraun said as he set his eyes on the road ahead.  After a while of searching for Horace without result, they froze as a piercing shriek was heard.  Anri began to shake as Olraun sighed.

"Wh-what was that?"  Anri asked as she felt what remained of her blood chill to ice.

"That, my friend...was a Nazgul,"  Olraun said as he sniffed the air.

"You said they were dead.  Gone," Anri said as she held her shield up and looked behind them.

"They were already dead, well save for one anyways.  It seems Wolnir found a way to summon one of their spirits by use of their ring. This could end poorly.  Maybe,"  Olraun said as he nodded reassuringly at Anri. Hearing the clink of plate armor, Olraun hugged a wall and pushed Anri into the wall beside him.  He slowly peeked around the corner and saw the Morgul green form of a Ringwraith.  Looking at the left hand he smirked in his luck as he turned the corner and ran at the wraith and they clashed blades.  "Long time no see," he said as he kneed the wraith in the stomach and grabbed its face.  Anri watched as part of Olraun's face began to glow in the form of it being heavily scarred and aged with a twisted briar of a crown as he glared into the wraiths mind.  When he released it, it sat where it was kneeling and the green aura faded away, revealing a tall woman in chainmail and plate armor with a torn crimson hooded cloak.  Mira blinked a few times before looking her brother in the face as tears began to stream down her face.

"Anri, this is my sister, Mira.  Mira, this is Anri, a companion of mine.  Now that introductions have been made, how did you get here?" Olraun asked.

"Wolnir.  He found my ring and summoned me from whatever afterlife I was in.  I was used beyond any horror Sauron had made me do,"  Mira said as Olraun hugged his sister and rubbed her back.

"Its alright.  It's safe now," he said as Mira's eyes snapped open.

"No."  Olraun looked at her puzzled as she stepped back.  "It's not safe.  Olraun, he has Isildur's ring."

Olraun closed his eyes and shook his head as Anri looked back and forth between the two, rightly confused.

"Who's Isildur?  And what's important about his ring?" Anri asked.

Olraun looked up as he responded.  "Isildur was a dear friend of mine.  He was the son of the king of the ancient kingdom of Gondor.  When he defeated the Dark Lord Sauron, he took the One Ring, the source of Sauron's power and his lifeline, claiming that it was his.  When Isildur was killed, Sauron made him one of the Nine, a Nazgul, ringwraith.  Isildur was granted the power of necromancy, a summoner of the dead.  If Wolnir has the ring, then we should be on our guard,"  Olraun replied.

"Yes.  Olraun, what remains of his throne room has a way to Irythill.  I'll get Anri to safety if you'll deal with Wolnir.  He could be an issue, but he's likely nothing more than a skeleton by now,"  Mira said as they hurried through the Catacombs briskly, killing any skeletons that they encountered. 

Olraun shut the throne room door, blocking the horde behind them.  Anri spied their door out and pointed.

"Alright, let's go.  It appears Wolnir isn't..." Olraun was cut off a black fog erupted out of a skeletal chalice.  Olraun drew his sword as he saw Mira and Anri leave the Catacombs safely.  He soon found himself in a dark chamber that reeked of death.  He clenched his fist and chucked a fireball into the air, illuminating the room.  Olraun swung his sword at his side idly as he approached the massive, skeletal form of Wolnir.  "The Great and Powerful Wolnir.  The great conqueror of Carthus.  Now little more than a bone pile clinging to the edge of the Abyss," Olraun said with a smirk.

Wolnir roared out a sentence in a language that Olraun didn't understand or really hear as he saw the large form of what appeared to be Isildur's ring on Wolnir's hand.

"You think you understand what powers you meddle with, but your foolishness I will prove to you.  The cold, damp, dark of the Abyss will pale in comparison to the wrath of the fallen Lord of Mordor,"  Olraun shouted as his sword burned with cursed fire as he leapt at Wolnir's arm, shattering his forearm.  Olraun saw the ring shrink back down to normal and he called it to his hand.  Wolnir, now in pain, shrieked as he drew his greatsword from the ground and raised it to strike.

"You wish to draw power from the Abyss?  Now suffer the consequences,"  Olraun shouted as he drew a glass vial from his belt and held it up.  A blinding blue light filled the chamber, causing  Wolnir to drop his sword to cover his face.  Olraun severed the charmed bracelets on Wolnir's arm, breaking his protection from falling into the Abyss.  Wolnir flailed his arms as he was dragged towards a dark fog into the Abyss.  Olraun now found himself back in Wolnir's throne room.  He looked at the bronze ring in his hand and noticed that it was the duplicate ring he had made from Isildur, not the original ring Talion had worn.

"Hmmm...It seems his ring's still out there.  Maybe..."  Olraun thought but was interrupted by a rush of power as he recalled some of the basic knowledge and abilities of the ring.  "The ring is...rebound to mine?  If I can find the others, maybe my strength will be restored.  Now to rejoin the others,"  Olraun continued as he ran up the stairs and pushed the doors open.  He soon found himself looking at the snow covered land of Irythill of the Boreal Valley.  He walked up to Mira and Anri as he sat down on a log.

"Wolnir is in the Abyss.  I've reclaimed the ring.  Now to find the others.  I'll go ahead and have a look around," Olraun said as he got up and walked down the stairs to cross the bridge to the city.  He heard the clash of metal and saw a man in a heavy mail surcoat and a steel cap attacking what appeared to be a Blade of the Darkmoon, a warrior who hunted those who stalked their fellow undead.  Olraun drew his sword and ran at the man.  Olraun stopped as he threw a spectral dagger at him to draw his attention.  The man turned towards Olraun and raised his axe and charged.  The Blade of the Darkmoon leaned against a pillar as she tied a strip of fabric around her arm.  Olraun undid the clasp on his right shoulder and gripped his cape and flung it aside as he walked forward and blocked the axe strikes with ease.  When the man swung an overhand, Olraun stepped aside and grabbed his hands at the wrist.  Olraun slashed his hands off and ran the man through and pushed him off the bridge.  Olraun nodded with satisfaction as he held the man's axe, twisting it in his hands as he looked its gleaming blade over, coarsing gold with a lightning enchantment.  He turned to the Blade who approached him with her sword sheathed.

"My thanks, friend.  I don't think I could have dealt with him by myself.  I'm Sirrus of the Sunless Realms, a Blade of the Darkmoon," Sirrus said.

"Olraun.  Glad to help," Olraun said as he slid the axe into a strap on his back.

"Olraun?  I haven't heard that name in a long time.  You served on Gwynevere's guard long ago, correct?"  Sirrus asked.

"And with Gwndolin's Darkmoon knights.  I had a fair bit of spare time trying to plan my next move then, so yes I did.  What of it?"  Olraun replied.

"I'm off, but if I'm on a hunt I'd be willing to have you along if you wish," Sirrus offered.

"I've been a hunter for a fair bit of my life.  I'm always up for a hunt.  If I'm available, then I'm certainly up for it, M'lady," Olraun responded as he nodded a bow.  Sirrus smiled briefly before turning to walk back into Irythill.  Olraun turned back and had his head down as he thought about his life till now.  The thoughts and reflections of a unnatural long life.

As Olraun rejoined his companions, he saw the two women laughing.  "Mira, can I speak to you,"  he asked looking at Anri.  "Privately?"  He was taking his gauntlets and gloves off as she nodded and stood up.

"What's wrong?"  Mira asked as he took his helmet off and pulled his hood down.  She gasped when she saw his eyes as she felt his face.  He held her hands and moved them in front of him.

"Long ago, I made some choices.  Some that you now see.  Others that can't be seen.  I was one of many that attempted to restore order to a broken world," Olraun said as he turned to look out over Irythill.  "I was successful to an extent, but things happened to me that cannot be undone.  Things added to me that I despise, but were necessary to achieve peace.  I gained power and abilities I still don't understand, or want to understand some days.  It felt like a dream, or even a nightmare.  But the truth of what happened remains.  I'm a god.  I don't know what my limits or capabilities are, but that's the general story," Olraun said.

"I don't care, you're still my brother," Mira said.

Olraun held his head down in grief.  "The man you knew is gone.  I am what remains," Olraun said as he clenched his fist shakily.

"You have a family waiting out there for you.  You need to remain strong," Mira said as Olraun's head raised.

Olraun turned around as he reached into his belt and pulled out a small leather pouch.  He opened it and carefully shook its contents into his palm.  A silver ring with a pale blue gem gleamed dimly as his eyes welled with tears.  "Alayia's dead.  Celebrimbor told me of the events that followed some years after they were taken when he visited me.  Manwe removed their memories of me as a final act of vengeance.  Aluvitar had enough and restored their memories.  When Alayia realized what had happened, her grief took her will and she removed her ring.  Helena is alive, but she's still far from my reach.  Meanwhile, Manwe took joy knowing that the knowledge of her death would likely break me.  Now, I live for the day that I get to deal to him what he deserves.  The corruption that Manwe afflicted me with made me a being of Shadow.  However, Because Vanye's a master ring, I'm still at the top with no one to influence my morals and decisions.  I've been meaning to tell all this to someone for some time.  It just was conveniently enough to be you," Olraun said as his sister wrapped her arm around his chest as she hugged him.

"It means a lot.  I'm sorry about this.  All of it.  But you have to move on.  Let the past die.  Remember it, but use it to avoid mistakes instead of repeating them,"   Mira replied as they rejoined Anri.

"I've got a meal cooked.  Not much, but its it's hot," she said as the two Numenoreans nodded their thanks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

907 43 10
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
66.1K 2.1K 19
Heyy there! It's me, Z again! I've wanted to write a Maleficent × Diaval fanfiction for quite some time already, and when I watched Maleficent 2 and...
88.9K 1.7K 21
"The son of evil will stop all evil at the cost of Darkness" Ash must save the world from the evil organizations that are teaming up together to take...
10.8K 403 146
After the flame finally died down, a world has come to an end. But, what happens to the keeper of the flame? Feels like I should clarify Volume 1 is...