Life in San Fransokyo

By JuneMermaid03

A collection of one-shots featuring Tadashi and Elsa. In times of joy and pain, they will always be there for... More

Aftermath
Hunger
Trust and Touch
Another Lifetime
Cold Comfort Part 1
Cold Comfort Part 2
In Summer
This Kiss
Making a New Friend
Another Perspective
Drabbleshots
The Talk

Cold Comfort Part 3

109 5 0
By JuneMermaid03

"I suppose you might be wondering what Tadashi meant earlier," Aunt Cass remarked as she wiped the café's counter with a white rag. She kept her eyes on the surface, a small frown marring her forehead while she focused on the spot she was cleaning. Elsa and Hiro sat at a nearby table and waited—her hands were neatly folded on her lap and her back ramrod straight with tension, while he slouched and rested his elbows on the table, his forearms crossed.

Aunt Cass put the rag away then disappeared to the back. Elsa heard the faint sound of water running for about a minute or two before the older woman reappeared, wiping her hands on her pants. "Do you guys want coffee? Hot chocolate? Donuts?" she offered, raising her eyebrows.

"Come on, Aunt Cass—what did Tadashi mean earlier when he said he was sorry?" Hiro pressed.

Aunt Cass sighed and fiddled with her necklace, the movement catching Elsa's eye. It was a green pendant—an emerald?—suspended on a silver chain. She didn't answer Hiro immediately, her eyes roving back and forth in thought. She sat down beside her nephew and began to speak after a minute of thoughtful silence.

"You know your mom and I are twins, right?" she said softly. "Only difference between us were our eyes—she had blue ones. We had matching necklaces, with a sapphire and emerald pendant. She had the emerald one. I had the sapphire one and exchanged our necklaces when she died."

"Oh," Hiro murmured, his eyes widening fractionally over the revelation.

"Tadashi had mentioned his parents died in a car accident," Elsa ventured, her voice soft. "That's about all I know."

"He never liked talking about it," Aunt Cass replied after a heavy pause, shaking her head. "Who can blame him? It wasn't something a boy should go through. Alex and Akihiko died when he was eleven, and you—" at this she glanced at Hiro—"were three." She let out a short, breathy laugh. "My sister's name was Alexandra," she explained when she caught Elsa's curious gaze. Elsa knew the brothers' father was named Akihiko, but she never learned their mother's name until now. "She was the older one by five minutes. We went by Lexie and Cassie when we were kids then Alex and Cass as we got older because our names both had 'sandra' in it. My parents thought they were being clever." She rolled her eyes and gave a wobbly smile. "Anyway, sorry—I was getting caught up in the memories. I miss Alex. She—she was my best friend."

Elsa felt a pang of sympathy for her, offering the older woman an understanding smile. "I know what you mean, Aunt Cass," she said, nodding. "My sister Anna, she's my best friend, too."

"Siblings share a special bond, especially twins," Aunt Cass agreed, misty-eyed, before she gasped and grabbed Hiro's shoulder. "Wait a second—what date is it today?"

"Um, it's the fourteenth," he answered with a mystified expression on his face. "Why?"

Aunt Cass sent him a pointed look until the answer dawned on him. "Oh. Yeah, that's probably why Tadashi went berserk earlier."

"Am I missing something here?" Elsa asked, shooting a glance between aunt and nephew.

"Tomorrow's the day our parents died—we usually go to our parents' graves to clean it up and stuff," a somber Hiro answered her. "Fun, huh?"

"Your brother idolized your father," Aunt Cass remarked, remembrance written on her face. "Tadashi had said he wanted to be a doctor like Akihiko back then. I was surprised when he applied for an SFIT scholarship—he wouldn't tell me why he suddenly wanted to go there, only saying it's a good school."

"Probably for some self-sacrificing reason. Like, I bet it was because SFIT's cheaper since it's only fifteen minutes away from here. And he probably wanted to keep an eye on me," Hiro guessed. "You know how he is."

Aunt Cass raised an eyebrow at her nephew. "Which is why you should appreciate your brother more," she admonished him. "He's made a lot of sacrifices for you, like the time he rescued you from the bot-fighting bookies. Or like your room—he's got that little corner while you have all that space for your doohickeys," she pointed out. "The least you could do is to listen to him."

"Hey, I DO listen to him, Aunt Cass! Sometimes," he protested before shrinking under his aunt's gimlet stare.

Elsa cleared her throat to bring the discussion back on topic. "Aunt Cass?" she prompted politely, raising her eyebrows.

"Right, right...so I pulled Tadashi from his classes that day, and we rushed to the hospital. Alex was...dead on arrival. Akihiko was barely holding on, like he was waiting for Tadashi. Mom and Dad—your Grandmammy and Grandpappy—were babysitting you that day, Hiro. Your parents were supposed to attend this doctor's luncheon at some fancy hotel when the accident happened." She stopped and blinked rapidly, biting her lip. "A truck lost control and caused a seven-car pileup on the freeway."

Elsa swallowed, thinking about her own parents. Before she could dwell on the thought more, Aunt Cass continued with her story.

"Akihiko made Tadashi promise to take care of you, Hiro. To be your role model and protector, since he can't. Your father went into cardiac arrest right after Tadashi agreed." Aunt Cass closed her eyes and released a slow breath. "I can remember it so clearly—Akihiko whispering to Tadashi that he needed to grow up, and that he was sorry for placing the burden on him, but he had no choice—he was a doctor, he knew he wasn't going to make it. I also heard him say to Tadashi that he regretted leaving you, Hiro. Then that sound—the sound of Akihiko flatlining..."

Elsa listened to the rest of the story, unable to keep her heart from hurting for Tadashi. As Aunt Cass described what happened next, she could see in her mind's eye how they were ushered to the hospital's lobby by a nurse before the defibrillator was wheeled in followed by a harried doctor, with him casting his last look at his father over his shoulder. How he must have clenched his jaw to maintain a calm façade as his tears dried on his cheeks while he and Aunt Cass waited anxiously at the lobby. How his aunt's hands dug into his shoulders as they spotted the doctor walking toward them, hope fluttering in his chest before it was dashed into a million pieces at the words "I'm sorry, ma'am. He's gone."

A boy should never carry a man's burden on his young shoulders, but Tadashi had done so right at that moment, when he had taken a deep breath and uttered a composed "Thank you for letting us know, Doctor."

"Tadashi never told me that," Hiro said, yanking Elsa out of her brooding. He looked a bit dazed over what Aunt Cass told them. "Then again, I...never really thought of asking." Guilt caused his shoulders to sag as he bit his lip, compelling Elsa to reach out and place a reassuring hand on his forearm. He glanced up at her touch and she shook her head.

"Don't beat yourself up over it," she consoled him. "At least now you understand your brother better, right?"

Hiro nodded after a moment. "Thanks, Elsa," he answered with a slight smile.

Silence blanketed the three, each preoccupied with their thoughts. Besides Aunt Cass's story explaining Tadashi's behavior earlier, Elsa mused on how their fathers and younger siblings had such a profound impact on them at such a young age, shaping who they are. That explains why I was so drawn to him, she mused, resting her chin on her interlaced fingers. He made me feel safe and loved, because that's how he had been with Hiro. What about me, though? What can I offer him? Growing up with 'conceal, don't feel' screwed me up big time...I'm still surprised he puts up with me and my...problem.

A half-formed idea sparked in her brain, but Aunt Cass's voice broke through her musings before she could fully examine it.

"Elsa?"

She jerked her head up to see Aunt Cass regarding her with concern. "Are you alright, honey?"

"I—yes. Aunt Cass?"

"Hmm?"

"Would you mind if...if I spent the night here?" Elsa blurted out. "I mean, I want to watch over Tadashi tonight. If that's okay—er, well, I won't be in his room, I could just sleep on the couch. Or something," she stammered with a sheepish smile. Heat began creeping up her neck when Aunt Cass and Hiro glanced at each other. It was a half-baked idea, and she was surprised at how she jumped at the impulse—it was the kind of thing Anna did, not her. "Actually, you know what, forget I asked, it was totally inappropriate," she babbled, waving a hand.

"Oh, you're fine," Aunt Cass dismissed. "I'm glad you offered. Tadashi's been having trouble sleeping, hasn't he, Hiro?"

"Yeah," Hiro agreed. "Take my bed, I'll take the couch. That way it'll be easier for you to keep an eye on Tadashi."

"But—"

"I'd better go clean up. It's a bit of a mess," Hiro apologized as he jumped to his feet and scampered back inside the house.

"And I'll get you some change of clothes. Don't worry." Aunt Cass cast a measuring look over her. "I've got some extra underwear somewhere around here. Never got to wear them because of hips like these." She sighed.

"Really, it's no trouble, I could go back to my place and—"

"No buts, I'm not about to let you off at this time of the night, Elsa," Aunt Cass countered, raising and wagging a finger at her. "Come on."

Elsa felt an awkward grin stretch across her face. Aunt Cass can be such a force of nature when she put her mind to it, pretty much like Anna. I am such a pushover when it comes to those two, she grumbled inwardly, following the older woman into the house like an obedient puppy.

About an hour later, fresh from a shower and wearing a pair of borrowed sweatpants and t-shirt, Elsa stood beside the sleeping Tadashi, watching how his eyes moved behind his closed lids. I wonder what he's dreaming about? Please let it be something good, she prayed, lowering herself carefully on his bed so as not to wake him. Tadashi grunted, scowling and clenching his jaw, which prompted her to run a soothing finger between his creased brows and to brush the slightly damp bangs from his forehead. He gradually relaxed under her gentle touch, sighing as he rolled over on his side toward her.

Satisfied, Elsa moved to stand up, but stopped short when Tadashi grabbed her forearm and murmured something. Glancing back down at him in surprise—she thought he was asleep—she bent down to try to catch what he said.

"Don't leave me." He looked at her through heavy-lidded eyes, which still managed to convey his need for her.

Elsa swallowed and bit her lip. "I won't," she whispered before she pressed a soft kiss on his forehead. "I will be right here."

——————————————————————————————————————————————

The sensation of warm, stroking fingers on her back and the tickle of hair under her chin woke her up. Other sensations soon followed—the rasp of cotton against skin, a heavy arm draped over her waist, and legs tangled with hers. Cracking an eye open, she moved her head to see Tadashi awake, scrutinizing her with a grave stare. She waited for him to speak—he was usually the one who initiated conversation between them, but he didn't.

Elsa supposed the tables were turned now.

"Hey," she whispered, and then thought it was kind of absurd because it was just the two of them in the room. Hiro, true to his promise, had slept on the couch downstairs. Then again, perhaps the stillness of the night was best suited for soft words and meaningful touches.

She wished she had started the conversation with something better than an inane 'hey', though.

"You okay?" she asked, cradling his jaw with her right hand and stroking his cheekbone with her thumb. Tadashi snorted, his mouth twisting into a grimace.

"I must have left a huge mess," he muttered.

"Wish I could say it's nothing bad, but I have no idea what was in your garage."

"Just a bunch of old projects Hiro and I had been working on. They're all abandoned, but...yeah, still a mess."

"Messes can be cleaned up." She hoped he didn't miss what he meant.

"Can they?" There was a faint note of bitterness and regret in his voice.

"Yes." Elsa was decisive and strong in her declaration, a rarity for her. She shifted so that she could look directly into his eyes. "You taught me that, you know."

"I'm not a neat freak. You are," he countered, a teasing light flaring briefly in his eyes. She set her mouth in a straight line and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yes. Yes, I am," she deadpanned. "You're a smart guy, Tadashi. I hope you understood what I meant."

"I did, yeah."

They fell quiet, each lost in thought for a few minutes before Elsa initiated conversation once more. "Aunt Cass told me what happened when your parents died," she ventured with caution. She didn't know if it was too soon to broach such a topic, but instinct told her it was now or never.

Tadashi sighed and sat up, hunching and rubbing a hand over his upper left arm, where the worst of the burns were. "I almost died," he stated in a monotone. "I almost broke my promise to my father to take care and watch over Hiro. And I almost hurt you."

Her eyebrows rose over his declaration. "Hurt me? What do you mean?" she asked, sitting up as well.

"If I died, I would have. You've gone through so much, Elsa. I can't bear adding to that."

A sharp pain lanced through her chest over the thought of losing him. "I..." She closed her eyes to center herself and decided to speak from her heart. "But you didn't," Elsa began, laying a hand on his shoulder. "You're still here. And...I know this is easier said than done—believe me, I know—but the only thing you can do now is move forward. The past is in the past, let it go, or so the song goes." Tadashi glanced at her with a slight smile at her weak joke before he looked down to avoid her gaze.

"I can't stand looking in the mirror sometimes," he confessed with a hushed voice. "It just...these scars remind me of my mistake."

Elsa tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and searched her mind for the right things to say. "I'm not going to lie—there are going to be bad days, Tadashi. There are going to be times when the smallest thing would remind you of the worst things," she stated, her voice faraway with remembrance. She felt the unwelcome yet familiar tightness in her throat when the memory of hurting Anna with her powers got dredged up. Through the feeble light cast by the moon, Elsa could see the scars that crept up his neck. She knew the extent of his burns—they covered most of his left arm, the left side of his back, and part of his neck, but she hasn't seen them up close. "May I see them? Your scars—I mean, if it's okay," she probed, cautious.

Tadashi didn't move for a long time that Elsa began to worry. Just as she opened her mouth to take back what she asked, he yanked his sweatshirt off, revealing the red, healing skin grafts. She reached her hand out tentatively, pulling it back for a moment. "Does it still hurt?" she asked.

"Sometimes. It's numb most of the time, though. The doctor said it'll be months before I feel anything besides pain." He nodded. "You can touch it. If you want to."

She furrowed her brow and concentrated, letting the ice flow down her arm to gather into her palms. Not too much, she told herself. Steady...there. Taking a breath to calm her nervous heart, she moved behind him and her hand on his upper arm, noting how he flinched and stiffened under her touch. "It's okay," she murmured, letting her palm drift over to his upper back, the heat of his skin warring with the coolness of hers.

"Physical therapy was tough," Tadashi muttered. "Had to do stretches and range of motion exercises so the scars wouldn't limit my movement. The splints—they were the worst. Couldn't move much. I was trapped again. I hated it."

I was wrong. What he went through was so much worse compared to what I did. Elsa leaned her forehead against the smooth, unmarred part of his back, her cool palm still resting over the scars. Her other arm wound itself around his chest, hand over his heart, which beat steady and strong underneath her fingers

"I will be right here. I'm not giving up on you," she promised him, her voice brimming with quiet intensity. She felt him shift—raising her head, she found him looking at her over his shoulder.

"Thank you," he whispered, squeezing her hand that lay over his heart with his good one. "I love you."

Elsa kissed his back before she responded. "I love you, too."

——————————————————————————————————————————————

"Alright you two, rise and shine, I've made a nice breakfast of bacon, French toast, and eggs!" Aunt Cass chirped as she reached the top of the stairs that led to Tadashi and Hiro's room. She stopped short. "What—where's Elsa?" she wondered, seeing how Hiro's bed seemed untouched. Walking over to the divider, she slid it open to find her spooned up against Tadashi protectively, her arm sticking out over her head as the other one was wrapped around his chest. Aunt Cass noticed how Tadashi clutched at her hand, keeping it against his heart.

"Huh. Guess it'll have to be brunch, then," she remarked, closing the divider as quietly as she could. She wondered if she could close the café for the day—would be a good time for them to just relax and spend the day together.

The mess from last night can wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...