Until my Final Breath (Shikim...

By JayFlynnPKM

"... Or just put it simply, I want to be with them forever..." Just before Izumi Yuu thought his luck could... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Guilt
Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 1)
Chapter 4: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 2)
Chapter 5: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 3)
Chapter 7: Silent Heart
Chapter 8: Reminiscence
Chapter 9: Brother

Chapter 6: Unlock the Heart

272 5 0
By JayFlynnPKM

"Okay, okay, Gin-chan... I'm awake... Stop scratching me..."

I drowsily said as I lifted my hands to my face and grabbed the fur ball on top of my face, who appeared to be scratching my face to wake me up with his paws. I slowly open my eyes to see him, who is mewling happily. I put on a froggy smile on my face and carefully put him on my lap when I am slowly sitting up from my bed. "Good morning, Gin-chan..." I greeted him and gave his stomach some playful tickles, to which he responded by playing with my hand with his paws.

Sitting on my bed, I stretch my arms and arch my back forward, before doing a few twists with my waist as my little morning exercises. I look up the clock on my wall, which is showing six o'clock in the morning. I start yawning before letting out a long sigh and smiling to myself.

Never have I felt this relieved to wake up in the morning...

My chest now feels lighter. I still have difficulties in breathing, but it does not feel bad like before. My mood is now more positive. It feels like some magical spells were cast on me. I look around to observe my room, which does not have the same darkness as it used to be. This time, I feel like I'm ready to start a new day, unlike what I used to feel a few days before.

While I am playing with Gin-chan, suddenly my stomach starts rumbling, reminding me that it needs to be filled with some breakfast. I place my hand on it and feel how rounder it has become. It is not skinny anymore, or at least I don't feel like I am having a lack of energy like I used to. The rumbling sound of my stomach, combined with how it feels while I rub my hand on it, reminds me of what happened yesterday.

Damn... When she said she was gonna fill me up with food, she really meant it...

I remember my date with Shikimori-san yesterday. We had so much fun, as she took me to different places. For lunch, we went to a buffet restaurant, and honestly, I could not even figure out how much I had filled in my stomach. I also saw her glancing at her belly multiple times without her noticing. I remember her worried expressions, but she still managed to put on a smile to ensure me everything was alright.

I hope her weight will not get too bad, though...

I look at the paper bag lying on my bed, with the souvenir that I have yet to take it out. It is a keychain with a plastic-sculpted bear hooked on it, with a bubble text attached to it that said "がんばれ!", meaning "Hang in there" in Japanese. We bought a pair of them for our own. I believe this is her message for me to keep going, to keep fighting against my disease.

I used to go for a lot of dates with Shikimori-san, but this one is probably the most meaningful. It sucked to be separated from each other once the date ended. Even God cannot tell how delightful and relieved I am to have her on my side...

*Buzz* *Buzz*

The buzzing sounds of my phone brought me back to reality. Having let go of Gin-chan to free him from my tickle, I reach my hand to my phone and grab it. I turn it on to check the notifications, which I usually do, and the first thing that hits my view is the messages from my friends, in our group chat.

When I scroll through the messages I miss, about different subjects, from studying, mostly just them complaining about the teachers and lessons, to hobbies, they somehow remind me about my condition. Until now, I have not spoken a word about my health to them. During our date and even last night, I kept thinking about how I was going to tell them about my secret. Shikimori-san told me that I should not be too anxious about it and just tell them when I feel the time was right, but for some reason, that thought still has not left my head.

I start lightly gripping my phone the more I think of it and letting out a long sigh since I have made my decision...

"Yuu! It's morning already! Time for school!"

"... Yes, mom! I'm coming!" I answered loudly from my room, my shout was so loud that it echoed across my closed room and scared Gin-chan a bit. Popping out of my bed, I quickly go to the bathroom to prepare myself for the big day coming ahead.

Today is the day! It is the day that I'm telling my friends about my secret!

~0O0~

"... But saying is still easier than done, though..."

I let out a sigh after I said that sentence. I am now heading to school, under the cool, blue sky above me. I wish I could be lightheaded as the carefree birds on the tree, which are skipping branches to branches joyfully in the early morning. I am almost trudging dispiritedly since I cannot think of any way possible, or in the other words, any better way to tell them than just blatantly speaking it out.

When I am lowering my head discouragingly, I feel a hand on my back, as it starts rubbing that spot to comfort me. That reminds me that walking next to me is one of the people, if not the only one that I trust the most.

"Don't worry too much about it. Whether your decision is, I'll definitely support it!"

I raised my head and looked for the source of the voice, to see the same familiar figure, someone I adored the most as my girlfriend. Shikimori-san is looking at me, with my image reflecting in her sapphire blue eyes, while tilting her head a bit to my side. Finally catching my attention, she beamed a smile, reassuring me that everything will be fine like she always does. This makes me let out a small smile, as well, but it just brushes away a small bit of worry in my head.

"You're still struggling to find a way to tell them?" Shikimori asked me.

"... Yeah," I answered her with a sigh and a few slight nods. "It's harder than I expected. I thought this could only take about a minute or two to figure out a possible way, but I didn't expect to waste the entire night just not to think of any solution." I explained while scratching the back of my ear, which made her giggle.

"Can't you just... you know... simply tell them about it?" She asked.

"I don't think that even possible. No... I don't think that could work..."

"Why?"

"I... I don't know..." I hesitantly said. "I feel that... it's not a proper way to tell them..."

I told her and patted my leg lightly in discouragement. After a few seconds for me to be in my land of thoughts, and maybe for her to progress what I said, I feel her hand touch my chin, as she lifts it and guides me to look at her.

"Izumi-san, Izumi-san..." Shikimori called for me and shook her head. "Don't you remember what I said back at my home?" She asked.

"Yes, I do! I still remember!" I responded. "It's about trusting our friends, right?"

"Nice memory, Izumi-san." She said, but without waiting for me to speak anything, she continued. "But now you're here talking about unable to find a way to tell them." She then let out a sigh, which was followed by my sigh, as well. She must be having the same feeling as me: low-spirited. "Izumi-san, can I ask you some questions? Just some simple one?"

"S-Sure! Please do!"

"Do you trust me, Izumi-san?" Shikimori asked me. Having heard her question, we both stop on our track. I stand still on my ground and stare deep into her eyes for a few seconds.

"... O-Of course! Why don't I?" I stuttered, hoping that was enough to satisfy her.

"Okay... Very straightforward, I like it..." She nodded her head, and I could catch a sight of her little smile with a tint of blush on her face. However, she coughs in her hand to get back her composure and continues. "Now, for the next question..."

"Next question?"

"Do you trust us, Izumi-san?"

... There is no way in hell that question is simple!

Having heard that out-of-nowhere question of her, a tsunami of thoughts brushed through my head. I start taking a trip down memory lane to recall the times when I was in secondary school. I know my friends now are not the same as them, but there is still something bothering me. Is it because I am afraid that similar things will happen if I tell them? Is it because I have yet to get out of this "cage" called "nightmare"? Or is it because there is still something in my throat that I have yet to spit out?

The more I think of it, the more it makes my head spin, to which I place my palm on my forehead and scratch it with my index finger, while my eyes are squeezing shut.

"... That is a little difficult to answer, isn't it?" Shikimori's words brought me back to reality, and I opened my eyes to see her through my palm. "Then allow me to ask this, okay? This is much simpler." She requested, but without waiting for my acceptance, she continued anyway, as she took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. "Why do you feel that you need to tell them now? Can't you just wait for another time?"

Her question creates another tsunami wave in my brain, and I close my eyes to figure out the answer. She was right. Why do I suddenly feel that I need to tell them? It's like my heart is pushing for it, although my body is fighting against it. Is it because of something I fear? It is definitely not because of the nightmares back in my past, right? Why is it now and not anytime else? Can't I just live another day without them knowing about my health condition? Can't another day with another lie be fine? Why is my heart urging me to reveal it?

I open my eyes to check on her. Shikimori-san is tilting her head and closing our distance between each other's faces. This sudden close range makes my face burn up a bit, as I immediately take a few steps backward to stretch it out. She is probably still waiting for my answer, so I take a deep breath to consider a proper one.

"... Now that's such a hard question, Shikimori-san," I answered her while grinning coyly, and I guessed that didn't make her pleased at all when I saw her pouted and folded her arms.

"I can't believe it was enough to trouble you." She told me in disappointment, to which I responded with a chuckle.

"I mean... if it is that easy to tell our friends, you wouldn't have 'encaged' me in your room to make me spit it out, right?"

"Fair point... But since when I 'encaged' you?!" She retorted, while her face got poutier. However, it soon becomes normal. "But still, you want to tell our friends today, right?" She asked me.

"... Yeah," I told her blatantly, without another second of thinking. What I received was another sigh from her.

"Well... It can't be helped then..." Shikimori reluctantly accepted my answer. "Maybe in class, you can continue thinking about any crazy plan you're going to do to reveal it..." She said and shrugged her shoulders. However, when I was about to say something, she giggled and beamed a bright grin. "If you manage to figure out that plan, remember to tell me, okay? I'll help you carry it out with my best."

"... Even how crazy it may sound?" I asked her while having my eyebrows raised.

"Loving you is already crazy for me, so what could be more to come?" Shikimori told me with another grin on her face, which made me chuckle because of her words. After that, she holds my shoulders and pulls me closer to her, our eyes just inches away, as I can feel my face getting redder and my heart is pounding faster, and I can glance that her face is also the same color as mine. "Remember, Izumi-san, you are not alone in this fight. You also have me by your side, too. I will never leave you behind!" She promised me.

"... L-Like some partners in crime?" I asked her.

"Partner in crime doesn't seem like a correct word to express..." Shikimori said, but she shook her head and let it slide. "But yeah, if you said so, I will gladly be your partner in this case." She continued, then she let go of my shoulders and held out her fist to me, asking for a fist pump.

"Okay... Please have my back, partner!" I shrugged my shoulders and pumped her fist with mine, as we both laughed at this little silly conversation before we started heading to the school's entrance.

This is the first time we go to school together ever since my absence. I don't know if it is just my perspective, or if the sky is getting more stunning today. The morning birds are singing and welcoming the sunshine, as the scent of cherry blossom lingers in the air. I notice that the leaves are getting greener, which might be a sign that summer is coming. I look around to see more students holding their books to study, some even read from their notebooks at the same time. This is a hint pointing that our semester exam is also coming, just right before our summer break.

"So... lunchtime, right?" Shikimori spoke first, reminding me of the plan for the reveal.

"Um-hmm." I hummed in response. "You get Nekozaki-san, Hachimitsu-san, and Kamiya-san, while I will get Inuzuka-kun, alright?"

"Gotcha! Leave that to me-" She was about to answer me, but then she suddenly paused for a moment, which made me raise my eyebrows.

"W-What's wrong?" I asked her concerningly when I saw her looking at something in her direction, while squeezing her eyes, maybe because of her eyesight. She then looks back at me and points straight in her direction, and I follow her guidance. I look in the same direction as her to see the familiar tall, female figure just in front of us, with her shoulder-length, dark blue hair.

Today is my lucky day or what...?

"Kamiya! Good morning!"

Shikimori-san shouted from behind her to call for her. However, when Kamiya-san turned around to check the source, we couldn't believe our eyes. She is having bags under her eyes, perhaps because of her lack of sleep. She looks more tired than usual, almost seems like she is lifeless. When she finally sees both of us, her eyes widen and her mouth starts gaping a little. Seeing her state, we start approaching her from behind to check her out.

"Kamiya, I was wondering if you-"

"No!" Shikimori was about to request her, but she got cut off by Kamiya-san. Before we can even do anything, she quickly turns away and heads straight through the school entrance. Just like when I saw her last week, she hurriedly goes for the staircase and heads upstairs, leaving us behind.

"What just... happened?"

Having witnessed the scene, Shikimori-san and I look at ourselves dumbfounded, before looking back at the school entrance and wondering why Kamiya-san did that. Both of us don't realize that we are blocking the other students' way to the entrance...

Kamiya-san, is it because that you...?

~0O0~

Even when it is spring, the weather is still hot at noon, as the sun is shining brightly. The color golden yellow covers the school ground. It must be the sign of the upcoming summer, which the sun's rays shine through the leaves, coloring them with a brighter green, combining with the sky-blue color on top of us.

When the weather is getting hotter, we cover ourselves under the shade of a cherry blossom tree. We have gathered almost everyone for this important lunch meeting. Inuzuka-kun is still wondering why I told him to be here, maybe he might have seen how urgent I was when I said that. Meanwhile, Nekozaki-san and Hachimitsu-san are chatting with Shikimori-san, maybe about the same subject, about the main reason for this meeting.

Well... "almost everyone" to say the least...

I take a look around the table we are sitting at to see Kamiya-san is nowhere to be seen. Shikimori-san must have noticed my action since when I turn my sight to her, she shrugs her shoulders and shakes her head. Back in my class, I saw her heading to Kamiya-san's place, but as soon as she approached her, that girl immediately ran away, just like in the morning. At this point, it is getting more difficult to even open a talk with her.

"Alright, alright, what are we here for? Summer plan?" Nekozaki excitedly asked.

"Summer plan this, summer plan that... Semester exam is coming, you know?!"

Inuzuka reminded her, and soon they got into another heated argument. My hesitation has brought me to this situation when Hachimitsu-san seems to be joining in the quarrel. I take a glance at Shikimori-san, who seems to be very confused. She is looking back and forth at Nekozaki-san and Inuzuka-kun, before shooting me back with her puzzled expression. She somehow gives me a signal that I should start speaking as soon as possible or things will get out of control.

I hesitantly stand up from my bench and take out the folded paper that has the script written on it. I start unfolding it and rehearsing for the last time. I have already prepared it like a prime minister candidate preparing for a public speech. I have written down everything I want to say, from how I am going to start it in a not-so-uncomfortable way, to how I am going to finish it, the way that they will not be too shocked or mesmerized. I read it words by words, lines after lines, and try to remember the script so carefully that I don't think I have ever done the same with my lessons.

However, the situation is getting worse. My indecision has bitten me in the a. Inuzuka-kun and Nekozaki-san's unnecessary summer – exam argument is getting worse. Shikimori-san is getting more desperate to stop them, and she turns her helpless eyes at me, but soon facepalming herself after seeing how dumbfounded I am. I don't even think they recognize that I have stood up from my spot earlier.

When our place is getting noisier, at this point, I just want to give up. I just want to run away, or just simply sit down at the table and brush all the plans away. Maybe I should also join in the argument and pretend that is the main reason why I call for a meeting. Perhaps I can still live another day with another lie. This is not so bad, though, because at least Shikimori-san knows about my condition. Maybe that is the only thing that matters.

Maybe I am not ready enough. And maybe I should just call it a day and leave the secret for another time...

... Wait... Perhaps this is the reason why I need to tell them, the reason why my heart is urging me...

Until now, I still haven't got a clue about my condition. I don't know how bad it is. I don't know how much longer I can live, could be more than a year or could be just less than 12 months. At this rate, I don't know how much longer I can see my friends, since we are in the final year of high school life.

Time is moving faster than I thought. Within just months without me noticing, we will attend the entrance exam, or at least almost all of us will attend it. And after that exam, who knows if we might see each other again. Can we stay with each other like this, or will we be separated? I have already known about Inuzuka's plan, but I still have yet to know about Nekozaki's and Hachimitsu's. Will I still be able to see them after that, or God might take me away without letting me say my last goodbye?

'Why do you feel that you need to tell them now? Can't you just wait for another time?'

Then how many "another times" will come until I finally speak it out? How many "next times" will it take for me to gather enough courage to tell them...?

"... Shikimori-san!" I called for her, which might have snapped her back to reality. Shikimori-san pulls her face away from her palms to look at me. I look at her with my determined eyes for a few seconds, before giving her a nod as a sign that I am ready for my "speech". Having seen my grit, she returns with a nod, like partners understanding each other, before raising her arms and clapping loudly. Her clap has finally put a stop to Inuzuka and Nekozaki's argument.

"Guys... We gather here for one reason..." Shikimori announced, then she put out her hand to my side. "Tell them... Izumi-san..." She told me, allowing me to start.

When all eyes are on me, time seems like it has stopped. But for me, I know that I am now at the point of return. If I don't do it now, who knows if I have another chance to tell them...

'Do you trust us, Izumi-san?'

While I curl my script into a ball and stuff it back in my pocket, I know it's time to put my trust to the test...

"Inuzuka-kun, Nekozaki-san, Hachimitsu-san... Everyone, I have something to tell you..."

~0O0~

"And that... is how I discovered that I have cancer, which is why I am gathering you guys today... to announce the news..."

I took a deep breath and ended my speech. As soon as it is over, I look around to examine the reactions to that news, and all I can hear is... silence.

My friends are at a loss for words. Inuzuka-kun is gaping his mouth, but he soon closes it and turns away from me, before he places his elbows on the table and supports his head with his hands. Nekozaki-san also follows Inuzuka's actions, and I can see her mouth is mumbling something. Meanwhile, Hachimitsu-san's face is transforming into some image that I cannot even tell clearly. Since my nerves start cracking from seeing that, I turn my head to look for some support from Shikimori-san, but I guess she is more confused than me. She starts sweating from seeing that and fidgeting her fingers, trying to find a way to settle this.

This is bad... No... Things are getting really worse right now...!

I start regretting my decision. Maybe I should just put this on hold for another time...

I hastily pull out the script I have curled into a ball and open it shakenly. I read through it line after line, trying to find if I may have made any mistake. I expected in my head that this would go smoothly when I was preparing it, but I didn't think that it could be this bad. I start to think that I may have forgotten to say any point, which indirectly made my speech worse. I try scattering through each letter, desperately trying to dig out any mistake possible. When the atmosphere is becoming more awkward, I feel that something is stuck in my throat and the tightness in my chest has returned.

Shikimori-san must have seen how nervous I am, so she decides to speak first.

"C-Come on, guys... Shouldn't you just say something-"

*SLAM!*

Shikimori-san tried to ease the situation, but she got cut off by a sharp slam on the table. The slam was so loud that it also caught the attention of the nearby students. We look for the source of the slam to find out it was Inuzuka-kun who made it. His hand still stays on the table and starts soring red from the impact.

This makes me have a déjà vu, about what happened at Shikimori-san's home, when she also did a similar thing right in front of my eyes. I still remember how hurtful to witness it, and until now, that feeling is still the same. I can't utter a single word. I can't call him. My feet feel like they are sinking into a pit of quicksand, forcing me to witness my best friend's reaction to the aftermath.

"I... Inuzuka-san... Could you..."

Shikimori tried to say something, but soon she was stopped when Inuzuka-kun furiously pushed the table to the girls' side, which made Shikimori let out a small hiss. However, he does not care, as he leaves the bench and walks toward me.

When he finally stands in front of me, just inches away from each other, he keeps his head low to avoid my eye contact. He starts gritting his teeth, showing his pointy fangs inside, and clenching his hands into a fist. His hands start shaking fumingly, maybe because he is still in pain from the earlier slam. I want to call for his name, but my chest is too hurt, and my throat is getting too hoarse to even speak out any single word.

"... Is it true...?" After a few seconds of silence, I finally heard his voice. "Is it real... that you have... it, b-bro?" He asked me, while his body was trembling a little bit.

"... Yes." I simply answered him, after taking a few seconds of hesitation.

"Okay, I see..."

He replied, but before I could say any word, he raised his arm and pulled it back, before aiming his fist at my face. At that moment, all the memories, all the nightmares about the time when my secondary school friends left me, gushes through my head and knocks my sense, because this time it is a giant tsunami wave.

I can't think of anything straight rather than just accepting my fate. I squeeze my eyes shut and early dodge my face from the impact, preparing for what is worse to come. My friends might have felt something bad is coming when they all have their eyes on the scene. I can even hear their screams, begging for Inuzuka-kun to stop, but I don't actually mind, as I understand this is my fate, this is something possible to come.

"INU! STOP!"

"INUZUKA-SAN!"

...

However, what I didn't expect was a sudden warmth covering my body, with his arm around my neck. Inuzuka-kun pulls me into a "bro-hug", in which he wraps his arm around my neck. Before I can say anything, I start hearing his sniffles, which slowly turn into a cry. I open my eyes to see him facing me with his teary eyes. Droplets of tears are flowing down his cheeks, while his nose is runny from the sniffles. His tears are falling to the school ground, creating some dark spots on it.

"Inuzuka... kun?" I stuttered in his arm. Inuzuka-kun then shakes his head and grits his teeth again, trying to hold his emotions.

"You idiot... You f*cking idiot... Why do you wait until now just to tell us...?" He told me with tears in his eyes, then he looked at me with his unnatural smile. Looking at his impression makes me feel like something is breaking down inside me, as tears are slowly forming in the corners of my eyes.

"You're... a-angry about it?" I stuttered, trying to hold my emotions, as well.

"Of course I am, dumbass!" He exclaimed and pumped his fist on my chest. It was not a strong one, but it was painful enough for me. "I'm angry because you haven't told me anything about it until now! Why, Izumi?! Why haven't you?!" He fumingly asked me, but his voice was so rash that he couldn't say it well. The more shaking I see he is getting, the more tears flow from my eyes.

"I'm... I'm sorry, I-Inuzuka-kun..." I stutteringly apologized to him, but he shook his head to refuse his apology.

"Idiot... I'm not mad at you..." He told me, then he bit his lips to hold his cry, but it was no use. "Y-You... must have... endured this for so long, r-right...?"

Having heard his question, it was the final knock to shatter my dam. I gather all the strength I have left to give him a nod since my sniffles have also turned into a cry. I can't hold my emotions any longer and start sobbing my heart out in my best friend's arm. Inuzuka-kun soon wraps his other arm around my back and starts patting it, while letting out some grunts to desperately hold his cry.

"Hey, you girls... Won't you want to join him...?!" He called for the girls behind his back. I open my eyes and take a glance behind him to see Nekozaki-san tearing up and sniffing her nose, with her hand gripping her sleeve. Meanwhile, a stream of tears can be seen on Hachimitsu-san's face. Hearing Inuzuka's call, they slowly approach me.

"... N-Nekozaki... s-san... H-Hachimitsu..."

"IZUMI!" I tried to call for them, but I got cut off when they tackled me into a hug. Nekozaki-san is hugging me in the back while placing her forehead on the scruff of my neck, as she starts sobbing emotionally. Meanwhile, Hachimitsu-san is wrapping her arms around my waist with her entire body due to her height. With three of my friends by my side, I am covered in a warm embrace under the shade of the cherry blossom tree.

"This is so unfair! This is so unfair! W-Why... o-of all people... it has to b-be y-you..." Nekozaki sobbed behind me while tightening her hug. Meanwhile, Hachimitsu-san couldn't say anything, with more tears flowing out of her eyes and wetting my uniform.

"Y-You guys..."

I only managed to utter those words, as my strength gave in and let my emotions take over. I sink deeper into their embrace and feel the warmth I've been wanting for so long. I think we might have caught some attention of some students, but none of us care about it. We start crying in each other's arms, comforting each other because of the news, because of what I have been bearing.

At that moment, all the memories of my childhood, all the nightmares of my secondary years, and all the doubts I have about telling my secret to my friends... are now just like a dirty spot of the sand, being washed away by the wave of happiness and friendship. This is a strong wave, but it is soothing, warm, and eases away any pain I am having in my head, something I would welcome any day. At this point, engulfed in my friends' warmth, I remember something Shikimori-san once told me.

'Everything will be alright! I don't know much about Inuzuka-san, but I know Neko and Hachimitsu, and I know that they will accept this. They're not going to leave you, just like me, okay?'

I have to be honest, I used to have my doubts about that statement. But now, I am glad that I was proven wrong...

Speaking of Shikimori-san...

While my pain is being steadily eased away, and the heavy feeling in my chest has been lifted, I take a glance at her. Shikimori-san is still standing at her place with her bright smile under the sun of noon. She is also having tears forming in her eyes, but it is the tears of happiness, as she is witnessing everything from behind. Having seen her, I let out my smile, as well. It is still shaking and unnatural, but it is one of the happiest ones I've ever made.

"Shikimori!" Hachimitsu lifted her face from my uniform and waved her hand at Shikimori-san, calling her over.

"Inu, leave her a spot! We should leave a special place for his 'spouse'!" Nekozaki ordered Inuzuka-kun, which caught his attention.

"Alright, alright... I got it..."

Inuzuka let out a sigh and moved himself to my side. Now with an open spot in front of me, I open my arms and ask her to join in the embrace.

"Shikimori-san..." I told her, as my open arms got wider. This makes Shikimori-san slightly gape her mouth, but it soon curls into a delightful smile. Having received my invitation, she nods her head and beams a grin on her face.

"Okay! Leave a spot for me, please!"

She exclaimed while running towards me and jumping into my embrace. She wraps her arms around my neck and stuffs her head in my nape, while I awkwardly wrap her waist in return. Together, our cries turn into laughter, a happy one. This embrace only leaves a few gaps for air, but I don't mind at all. This embrace might be too hot for today's weather, but I don't care at all, and none of us does. We just want to stay close to each other, and that is all the thing that matters.

I am so glad that I am their friend. God damn it, now I just wish I could stay with them forever...!

"This guy, man..." Inuzuka sighed and started pulling my right cheek. "He just can't stop hiding things away from us!" He exclaimed while pulling it harder, which was painful for me.

"Inu... zuka-kun...!"

*SMACK!*

I was about to tell him to stop when suddenly a hard smack jolted all of us. I look at his arm, which has Shikimori-san's hand on it. After that, I look at Inuzuka-kun, who is on the verge of tears from the pain. I then gaze at Shikimori-san, who is staring at him deadly, a stare that even I almost get freaked out. The atmosphere has turned heavy, and all of us are looking at her with frightened eyes.

"S-Shikimori-san..."

"Hand... off!" Shikimori ordered him.

"Y-Yes... As you wish... Shikimori-sama..." Inuzuka frighteningly let go of my cheek, then he started hiding behind my back with his face behind my shoulder.

"Izumi... I thought she would be nice if she is close to you..."

... How am I going to answer that, Inuzuka-kun...?

~0O0~

"We really need to reconsider your relationship with Inuzuka-kun, Shikimori-san!"

"Huh? Why? I still think I am having a healthy relationship with him..."

Shikimori-san, I'm not sure if that is such a healthy relationship...

We are on our track to reaching the school entrance because this is now after school. The space around us is getting darker, with only the lights from the sun shining through the windows to light it up and cover our surroundings with dark orange. Until now, we are still livid from the experience back at lunchtime, with butterflies that have yet to leave my stomach. However, somehow the subject I chose to discuss with her first was her smack on Inuzuka-kun's arm.

"But here's something more important, Izumi-san..." She told me, then she put her hands on her hip and leaned towards me. "See? I've told you that you could trust us..." She reminded me and gave my nose a little poke on the tip, which made me blush a little bit. "You see how wrong you are now, Doubtful-kun?" She asked me.

"Fine, fine, you've won... I admit my defeat..." I sighed in defeat, as I had lost another bet with her, which she let out a giggle in return. However, this is the defeat that I am willing to accept anytime. After all, I'm glad that my theory was wrong, and my trust in them is still strong.

However, there is still something that is bothering me...

"So... are you relieved now, Izumi-san?" Shikimori asked me.

"... Not really." I shook my head and answered her, making her raise her eyebrows. "I still feel that there is something I have yet to accomplish..." I folded my arms and let out a sigh, thinking about that, which Shikimori-san could guess what it was.

"... It is about Kamiya, isn't it?" She asked me, and I nodded back in response.

"Yep..." I let out another heavy sigh. "That's what still stuck in my head... It sucks that we couldn't get her to join us for lunch. Things would be settled easier."

When we finally reach the ground floor, I lean my back on the wall and think about the conversation we had with Nekozaki-san during lunchtime...

**Flashback**

"You guys... want to talk to Kamiya?"

"Yeah... It's pretty complicated..." Shikimori sighed. "So apparently, this guy... Before we had this friendship talk, he had spoiled his secret first to Kamiya, so he had forced her to hide it." She said and pointed her thumb to me, which made me a little irritated.

"Hey, didn't you force her to spit it out, as well? Don't say like you didn't play a part in this." I fought back, which received Shikimori-san's annoyed expression. Our small argument made Nekozaki-san fold her arms and let out a long sigh.

"You two... are so hopeless..." Nekozaki commented, making both of us regret what we had done in the past and bow our heads. "Now the situation should be a lot more complicated than you think!" She exclaimed.

"Which is why we need your help!" Shikimori replied. "You are very close to her. We hope that you can figure out a way to help us." She begged for Nekozaki-san's help while clasping her hands. Having seen her action, Nekozaki-san folded her arms and tilted her head slightly, thinking about something in her head.

"... No wonder she has been acting so strange lately..." Nekozaki mumbled, making both of us raise our eyebrows.

"W-What do you mean?"

"Kamiya and I are in the same club, remember?" She reminded us, but without waiting for our answer, she continued. "Lately she's been very strange... She didn't pay enough attention... She even seemed so... lifeless, like she was worried about something, to the point where she had a lack of sleep..."

Which was the same as what we saw earlier this morning...

"Now listen, my ebullient children..." Nekozaki called us. "This is not an easy task. Kamiya is not the type of person to easily start a conversation with. You have to either start it on your own or guide her into starting it." She gave us her advice.

"Thank you, Master Neko..." Shikimori bowed her head in respect. "But every time we tried to approach her, she kept running away without giving us a chance to do something. Is there something we can do?" She asked, which made Nekozaki scratch her nape a little.

"Well... You might have to figure that out on your own, I guess..."

Her "wisdom" made us want to smack our heads on the table. How in the hell are we gonna "guess" it?!

"If I had to give a piece of advice for that, I would say you might find her where she usually goes to."

"I-I see..." I nodded my head to pretend that I understood that. But to be honest, Nekozaki-san's bits of advice are too foggy for us to get our head around. I took a glance at Shikimori-san, who seemed to have the same puzzlement as me. One thing we could grasp was that things were more complicated than we expected, and we might need to try harder to squeeze through this gap.

"If you guys want to, I can give you a hand. Maybe with my help, your conversation with her will go more smoothly."

Nekozaki offered her help. Having received her proposal, I closed my eyes and thought about it for a few seconds. That is a great offer because after all, Nekozaki-san is Kamiya-san's best friend. She can help us talk to her and sort out the problem easier. With her help, I can settle this issue as soon as possible.

However, we are in this situation because of me. I want to take responsibility and settle this on my own. In the end, Kamiya-san is my friend. I cannot let her bear the guilt that she didn't even commit.

"Thank you, Nekozaki-san..." I thanked her as I started opening my eyes, then I shot my look at her. "But this is something I committed first. I am responsible for this, so I think I should be the one to settle it." I looked at her with my determined eyes and gave my answer, which received a gaping mouth of surprise from her.

"Oh wow..." Nekozaki silently exclaimed and covered her mouth, while there was a tint of blush on her face. She soon uncovered it and revealed her grin, while nudging Shikimori-san in the arm, who was sitting next to her. "Now that's such a manly act from your hubby, don't you think, Mi-chon?" She teased Shikimori-san.

"Y-Yeah, I-I guess..." Shikimori replied with a nervous laugh, although she looked like she was a bit annoyed, before looking back at me and letting out her smile. She nodded her head in understanding, seeming like she agreed with my plan, as we finished our tactical talk with "Master Nekozaki"...

**End of flashback**

"... We really should have asked for Nekozaki-san's help, right?"

"Agree..." Shikimori replied, then we both let out a long sigh helplessly. Because until now, we still haven't managed to even speak a word with Kamiya-san. The result is just the same: She kept running away, and we kept looking at her dumbfounded. We are in a struggle to figure out a plan to come closer to her.

Nekozaki-san was right. We are such hopeless and ebullient children...

"C-Cheer up, Izumi-san!" Shikimori called for me as soon as she saw my dispirited face. "At least you have told our friends about your health condition already, right? T-That should be considered as progress, right?" She tried to cheer me up, which made me smile at her effort.

"Yeah, I guess..."

I responded and sighed in acceptance, as I agreed with her. I pull my back away from the wall and give myself a little stretch, before joining Shikimori-san on the way to the entrance. While I am walking with her, she puts her hand on my back and rubs it, still trying to cheer me up.

"You know, if we can't find her today, we can try again tomorrow." She told me. "Meanwhile, let's think of a plan to get closer to her, alright?" She asked me.

"... Agree." I nodded to her. "Maybe we should take a few steps back and think about a proper plan."

I told her, which made her chuckle vaguely. Before I can do anything, she jumps in front of me and starts leaning toward my side, making me blush from her sudden action.

"Remember, you still have me by your side. I will still be your partner in crime, Izumi-san!" She promised me once again.

"... I thought you didn't like that word."

"Nah, I'm getting used to it."

She shrugged her shoulders. Both of us then started laughing silently and pumping our fists again, before continuing to walk on our path. When we finally reach the school entrance, we are engulfed by the warm afternoon sunlight. The sky outside is slowly turning its color to a darker shade of orange. When we reach the shoe closets, we stop for a few seconds to enjoy the view outside.

"You know what, Izumi-san," Shikimori spoke first and caught my attention. She puts her hand behind her back and leans her head on my shoulder. "We might need a crazier plan to even pull this off."

"Yeah... I don't know about that..." I laughed nervously, while my face was getting a little red because of how soft her hair felt on my shoulder. "I mean... what crazier thing could happen today-"

I soon cut myself off when we saw the familiar figure running outside the entrance, probably late for something. A tall, female figure...

As soon as that figure turns her head to the entrance, we both catch each other's eyes. We look at each other dumbfounded, both being at a loss for words. Shikimori-san and I can't believe our eyes, and we start covering our mouths in shock. Meanwhile, that girl might not believe her eyes, as well, like she does not expect to meet us here, out of the blue.

I guess the crazier thing has happened...

"Kamiya...?"

"Kamiya... san?" Shikimori and I both asked in unison when we saw Kamiya-san outside the entrance. She must be rushing to her club for activities.

"... Izumi-kun...?"

Kamiya mumbled those words. However, as soon as we start approaching her, she immediately runs away to the other doorway. She zooms past us so fast that within a second, her figure has disappeared in front of our sight. However, this time, we can see where she is going, since we have paid enough attention to her.

I look at Shikimori-san, to which she also looks back at me. I look at her face to look for the answer from her, and we both nod in understanding, knowing what we have to do next. Together, we start chasing after her, following her running path.

'But this is something I committed first. I am responsible for this, so I think I should be the one to settle it.'

I'm sorry, Shikimori-san, but there is no time for another crazy plan, and I know you understand me! This is an emergency! Just like revealing my health condition to our friends, I need to do this. I have to do this! Or else, who knows how many "another times", or how many "tomorrows" it could possibly take?!

"Kamiya! Wait!"

"Kamiya-san! Wait for us! We need to talk! Kamiya-san!"

End of chapter 6

~0O0~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

500 18 5
Ten years have passed since Uesugi Fuutarou failed to make a choice. Ten years have passed since he left, and faded out of her life. After a decade o...
763 9 15
"Promise to tell me if someone is hurting you " Izuku felt his heart flutter and his resolve was close to breaking. He had never expected someone to...
1.3K 55 2
My AU!Takemichi a 27 year old, graduate with a doctors degree, had always loved animals ever since he was a young boy, to which he had dreamed of bec...
21.8K 772 13
You're a researcher, who was planning on getting married to the love of your life and settle down. But, life decided to play a twist of fate on you a...