Chapter 6: Unlock the Heart

"Okay, okay, Gin-chan... I'm awake... Stop scratching me..."

I drowsily said as I lifted my hands to my face and grabbed the fur ball on top of my face, who appeared to be scratching my face to wake me up with his paws. I slowly open my eyes to see him, who is mewling happily. I put on a froggy smile on my face and carefully put him on my lap when I am slowly sitting up from my bed. "Good morning, Gin-chan..." I greeted him and gave his stomach some playful tickles, to which he responded by playing with my hand with his paws.

Sitting on my bed, I stretch my arms and arch my back forward, before doing a few twists with my waist as my little morning exercises. I look up the clock on my wall, which is showing six o'clock in the morning. I start yawning before letting out a long sigh and smiling to myself.

Never have I felt this relieved to wake up in the morning...

My chest now feels lighter. I still have difficulties in breathing, but it does not feel bad like before. My mood is now more positive. It feels like some magical spells were cast on me. I look around to observe my room, which does not have the same darkness as it used to be. This time, I feel like I'm ready to start a new day, unlike what I used to feel a few days before.

While I am playing with Gin-chan, suddenly my stomach starts rumbling, reminding me that it needs to be filled with some breakfast. I place my hand on it and feel how rounder it has become. It is not skinny anymore, or at least I don't feel like I am having a lack of energy like I used to. The rumbling sound of my stomach, combined with how it feels while I rub my hand on it, reminds me of what happened yesterday.

Damn... When she said she was gonna fill me up with food, she really meant it...

I remember my date with Shikimori-san yesterday. We had so much fun, as she took me to different places. For lunch, we went to a buffet restaurant, and honestly, I could not even figure out how much I had filled in my stomach. I also saw her glancing at her belly multiple times without her noticing. I remember her worried expressions, but she still managed to put on a smile to ensure me everything was alright.

I hope her weight will not get too bad, though...

I look at the paper bag lying on my bed, with the souvenir that I have yet to take it out. It is a keychain with a plastic-sculpted bear hooked on it, with a bubble text attached to it that said "がんばれ!", meaning "Hang in there" in Japanese. We bought a pair of them for our own. I believe this is her message for me to keep going, to keep fighting against my disease.

I used to go for a lot of dates with Shikimori-san, but this one is probably the most meaningful. It sucked to be separated from each other once the date ended. Even God cannot tell how delightful and relieved I am to have her on my side...

*Buzz* *Buzz*

The buzzing sounds of my phone brought me back to reality. Having let go of Gin-chan to free him from my tickle, I reach my hand to my phone and grab it. I turn it on to check the notifications, which I usually do, and the first thing that hits my view is the messages from my friends, in our group chat.

When I scroll through the messages I miss, about different subjects, from studying, mostly just them complaining about the teachers and lessons, to hobbies, they somehow remind me about my condition. Until now, I have not spoken a word about my health to them. During our date and even last night, I kept thinking about how I was going to tell them about my secret. Shikimori-san told me that I should not be too anxious about it and just tell them when I feel the time was right, but for some reason, that thought still has not left my head.

I start lightly gripping my phone the more I think of it and letting out a long sigh since I have made my decision...

"Yuu! It's morning already! Time for school!"

Until my Final Breath (Shikimori's not just a Cutie fanfic)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें