THE LITTLE MERMAID, marauders...

By -kindredconfetti

look at the stars look how they shine for you POTTERVERSE OC x REMUS LUPIN ... More

THE LITTLE MERMAID
PROLOGUE
→ PART ONE
002. welcome to hogwarts
003. till the luck runs dry

001. train wrecks & puddlemere pins

370 21 23
By -kindredconfetti

chapter one
train wrecks
& puddlemere pins

    KING'S CROSS STATION was a sight for sore eyes. Or at least that was Ariel's first impression. Painted in a majestic palette of scarlet and black, Ariel's eyes widened and jaw dropped almost immediately. And no matter how uncomfortable, being around muggles, wizards and witches alike made Rosita, the absurdity of watching her daughter push through the barrier between platforms nine and ten, and doing the same to find this incredible view had made her take in a breath of relief and awe.

Smoke from the engine drifted over the heads of the chattering crowd as they pressed through them with Rosita looking around and taking everything in, Ariel still couldn't take her eyes off of the train and Rosita found herself busy talking to the parents of a young bespectacled boy. In her trance, she didn't notice as he approached her, "Oi, Oi girl," making her immediately turn her head, wide-eyed, far-off look now replaced with a frown.

"Yes?"

"Isn't this exciting?" He was practically jumping now, "I've dreamed of going to Hogwarts for a long, long time," he continued, making Ariel light up again as she noticed the pin on the boy's sweater. It was the Puddlemere United pin! She didn't know much about Quidditch as she had only recently had proper exposure to the wizarding world, but in the little time she had known about it, she had all but printed the things she was reading about the world in her brain.

"I'm James by the way━" before he could finish his sentence, a very excited Ariel interrupted, "Is that a Puddlemere United pin?" James had never been quite as happy on being interrupted before as he replied with the same amount of excitement, "You're a Puddlemere fan too? Terrific! I believe we are going to be great friends!"

This was the happiest Ariel had ever been, well she was happy most days but since her whole mermaid problem had started, she had barely had any time to think about all the fun she was going to have! She had never quite fit in with the muggles at her muggle school, she was quite good at making friends but they always turned out to be a little mean to her, her so-called best friend, Katy, had spread nasty rumours about her absentee father and hot-headed mother. Suffice to say, so far, her newest friend seemed much nicer than Katy.

"Well I haven't really watched any of their matches but from what I've read they sound wonderful!" Ariel answered with a huge grin on her face and continued, "and it is very nice to meet you James, my name is Ariel, but you can call me Ellie."

Before James could reply, Rosita called for Ellie and James' parents for him, cutting their conversation short.

Bending down to Ellie's level, Rosita softly said, "This is where we part I guess." Ellie had not thought about that. She had never lived away from her mother and they were basically each other's lifelines. But as grateful as she was for Rosita letting her go to Hogwarts without a hiccup ( ok maybe one hiccup ), she was only just realising how difficult it was going to be for her to live without her mother.

Rosita's eyes were glistening, much like Ariel's now, but she smiled. It wasn't a forced smile. It was a smile a proud mother would have watching her young daughter grow. A smile which was a mixture of melancholia and utter happiness. When did she grow up so much? She asked herself. Ariel was still a long way from growing up, but this step, this huge step would determine the course of the majority of her life. "Mama, I'm going to miss you," the girl said, enveloping her mother into a hug controlling her tears, and Rosita pulling her in her arms with just as much love, "Oh Mija, I'll miss you too."

"You're going to do great things baby, I know it. You've got such a big heart," she continued, one hand holding her daughter's and the other cupping her cheek, "And an even bigger brain," she chuckled alongside Ellie and then proceeded to remind her to write to her everyday, or every alternate day, whatever worked best. And of course, all the steps and precautions to keep her mermaid identity a secret.

Rule number 1: Make sure to stay away from places that could be splashing/sprinkling water.

Rule number 2: If you do get water on you, don't panic, nothing will happen if it's just a drop or two. Quickly wipe it off.

Rule number 3: If the water is a little more than a few drops, atleast about a mug full of water, immediately go somewhere no one can see you and stay there for a while. If you turn into a mermaid, wait it out. If not, still wait it out.

Rule number 4: Don't tell anyone about it no matter what. If someone finds out, contact professor Dumbledore immediately

And finally Rule number 5: Never, EVER, go out during a full moon. And certainly don't look at the moon during a full moon.

With that, she bid her ado. And as Ellie ran towards the train's door, dragging her trolley ahead her, she was instead met with a━

CRASH!

Now lying on the ground and quite angry, she looked up to see the face of her most recent bad luck, a boy with slightly sandy but darker brown hair lay sitting on the ground right in front of her. Completely contrasting her, he looked anything but angry, somewhat panicked even. Quickly standing up and offering his hand to the shocked Ariel, he said, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't see anyone coming, I was very slow, I promise!"

His rambling made Ariel calm down a bit, a soft smile making its way on her face as he took his hand and got up.

"Don't be sorry, I was lost in thought it seems, and I was certainly not slow, I promise." she gushed, making the boy sigh in relief and his cheeks redden with embarrassment, so with his head down ( in an attempt at hiding said embarrassment ), he said, "It's alright, you should go first anyway."

Smiling to herself, Ellie entered the train, making her way to find an empty compartment.

☾ ⋆*・゚⋆*・ *・゚:⋆*・゚

Looking for a compartment, Ellie was feeling nervous for the first time since leaving her home, or even since she got her letter. Seeing all the older kids laughing as she walked past their little chambers of happiness, intimidated her to no extent. There was one that seemed quiet but as soon as her hand reached its handle she was met by roaring laughter from a group of older boys who hadn't even noticed her presence. Flinching, she quickly scrambled onto the next few ones.

Luckily, she found one consisting of only two people who looked around her age, and plucked up the courage to open the door and ask, "Hello, if you don't mind, can I sit here? The others are mostly filled with older children. Are you first years too?"

Ellie was instantly met by a kind smile from the redhead girl and a barely a look of omission by the boy sitting on the seat in front of her. "Of course you can, come on in!" The enthusiastic redhead replied, waving her hand beside her on the seat. And as if all the nervousness was replaced by instant relief and happiness, she tucked her belongings safely below the seat and sat down.

"Well, if that wasn't an adventure I don't know what is! For a minute there I thought I'd actually get bullied by fourth years before school even started." Ariel rambled on, "Oh Sorry! I didn't even introduce myself, I'm Ariel, but please call me Ellie." extending her hand to shake Lily's who replied with a chuckle, "I'm Lily, this is Severus." The boy only nodded, "Ariel."

"Oh wait, Ariel, like The Little Mermaid? I accidentaly read it from the school library once, and it really scared me! I had nightmares for weeks. I liked it, but not...at the same time. Does that make sense?"

Now here's the thing. Ariel actually liked The Little Mermaid as well. And she did think it was a little scary as well. Then, why was she currently frozen in shock and all the colour from her cheeks was drained making Lily as if she was alright, you ask?

Mermaid.

The word rang in her ears, making her heart skip a beat, like the sight of something moving in the dark. Or when your teacher calls your name out of the blue when you aren't paying attention. Or when you're a shape-shifting creature who literally grows a tail in water and can't tell anyone about it. Something like that.

But she recovered quickly. "Yes! The book! I like it too! My mum actually named me because she thought I was a lot like her," her nervous laugh blending into a real one as she saw Severus' face visibly confused at the name The Little Mermaid, "I have no idea why she thought that, but oh well."

The rest of the train ride went quite well, without any mermaid mentions or anything of the sort. Ellie also tried to explain fairy tales to Severus, but he just seemed so disinterested in something that confused him, she just decided to shut up in diminutive embarrassment.

The clock struck 7:00, and there was still about an hour till Hogwarts. Lily and Ariel could not stop talking. It seemed as if they were separated at birth and just had everything to talk about, Severus chimed in occasionally but mostly kept to himself and his book. Ariel also felt good about already having made three friends. Everything was going quite well until they were interrupted by a boy, well two boys, but mostly one boy who took notice of Ariel immediately. Stopping in front of their compartment, he peeked and said, "Oi Ariel, right?" It was James, and this time he was with a friend ( who didn't look so bad in Ellie's opinion ). However, James' attention on her was short-lived as soon as he noticed Lily sitting beside her.

Fumbling on his words, he said something about changing into their robes because Hogwarts was arriving ( or specifically, how Lily should change because Lily's school was arriving soon ) and left with his friend laughing in the background, reminding both the girls as well as Severus to get ready, even though the boy had been quite mean to Severus earlier.

Ariel's heart was beating faster and faster as they neared Hogwarts, especially when she put on the school robes. She stood tall despite her short height, feeling a newfound sense of belonging.

Soon enough the train slowed down, till it completely came to a stop with a booming horn. They quickly got off the train as they heard an unfamiliar voice coming from a big man.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over ter me! This way! Follow me, firs' years!" Following the man ━ who she had just noticed seemed to be ten times bigger than her ━ they were all lead to a lake, a seemingly never ending, sublime lake, which was lit up by the lanterns on the many boats. "All righ', firs' years, settle down, please. I'm Rubeus Hagrid, groundskeeper at Hogwar's. No more'n four to a boat so get on, firs' years!" Lily looking at the slightly scared look on Ariel's face figured she was afraid of water and said, "It's alright, everyone's afraid of something, but I believe if we go together, this one will look quite....magical." She smiled proudly at the pun she had made which proved contagious and she and Ellie quickly got on one of the boats, accompanied by Severus and another blonde girl with a far-off look in her brown eyes.

As the boats started moving, Ellie turned around to see the reflection of the castle's shimmering light on the lake's surface as she slowly moved her head up to take a look at it. The majestic castle. The cool and crisp air blowing hair on her head back and the ones on her arm shoot up.

This was it. This was Hogwarts. The one she had been waiting for for months. Years if she were to get philosophical. And it was absolutely glorious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.7K 2.6K 91
Hogwarts has been socially run by the marauders for five years, Lorelei intends to change that. Meanwhile, Voldemort rises to power. (It's a very sl...
156K 5.3K 17
in which a girl named for the stars falls in love with someone with a smile incomparable to any star in existence - [hp] [marauders era, sixth year] ...
849K 22.9K 28
"i don't think i can imagine promising to love someone forever." h. potter / oc x james potter UNFORTUNATELYOURS • 2016
20.7K 566 28
Florence has never had so much trouble going unnoticed. ★彡---------------------------- No update schedule, this is just for fun!