The 73rd annual Hunger Games

By cloveslays

Athena Ruckle of District 2 and Oakley Bass of District 7 are reaped for the 73rd Hunger Games. When Oakley j... More

Chapter One
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 18

4 0 0
By cloveslays

Oakley POV:

I woke up relatively late today. 10:30 to be exact. The sun is high in the sky now and I can hear people talking outside my door.

"Should we wake her?"

"I don't know."

"I think we should. She has to get ready.".

"Ya but it was a big day yesterday, she's probably exhausted."

"But it's a big day today that she has to prepare for."

"True. Why don't we give her thirty more minutes?"

"No. That's too long."

"Really guys?! I'm up!" I yell at them.

"Ahh!" One of the voices calls. Most definitely Annabeth.

"Are you guys going to come in or just gonna stand there?" I ask them.

Alliby opens my door and they all walk in. "Why do you need me up?"

"You have to be ready for the games at one. And you were still asleep." Alliby smiles.

"Well good thing I woke up." I climb out of bed. "May I have some breakfast?"

"Of course! Then we'll get going!" Annabeth smiles. She claps her hands and an Avox

walks up. "Get her breakfast! A.S.A.P!" the Avox nods.

"Thank you!" I call after her. The Avox returns shortly with a tray of food. She sets it

next to me and I engross myself with a croissant and many other foods. I finish breakfast quickly. The Avox takes the tray away and then I climb out of bed.

"Ok!" Alliby conducts. "Did you shower last night?" I nod.

"Ya. My face was incredibly itchy." I chuckle. Johanna nods.

"God putting makeup on as a tribute was the worst."

"I know right!" I exclaim.

"Ok then. So that means we have less work to do. We are just going to have to Do your hair and get you dressed which means you can rest for a while. But I suggest doing something."

"Right. I will get dressed then decide."
"Alright. We'll leave you be." Annabeth smiles.

They leave my room and I find myself alone. I pace my room for a bit before getting dressed. I dress in a pair of cargo pants and a green top. Then I leave my room and walk out into the common room. I check the clock. Which reads 11:45. I have over an hour. I sit down on the couch and turn on the t.v. I don't even watch it. I just stare out the window and listen to the capitol people scream and party.

****

Alliby sits beside me on the hovercraft and Hudson's on my left with his stylist Harathinan. I see Felix sneaking looks at me and smile when we make eye contact. A doctor walks around with a huge needle in hand. She walks to each tribute and injects them with their tracker. The boy from 6 cries when he's injected. I hand the lady my arm and wince when the needle is shoved under my skin. She pulls it out and the tracker beeps. She moves to the next tribute. The hovercraft slows down from what I can tell and slowly lowers down to the ground. We're here. I sigh.

"Ready?" Alliby asks.

"Not at all." I smile slightly at him.

"You'll do great. Even though I can't send you any fashion statements. I'm positive you'll do great." He gives me a wink and we leave the hovercraft. Were escorted by PeaceKeepers to a room somewhere under the arena. They close the door and I take a look around. The room is a basic tan colour and has black tiles on the floor. There's a big glass cylinder in the middle of the room. My eyes follow Alliby as he walks over to my tribute outfit. A pair of black hiking boots and cargo pants, a green long sleeved shirt and a black raincoat. I dress and say my goodbyes to Alliby.

"Wait! One more thing!" I say, and grab my pants. I pull my necklace out of the pocket and secure it around my neck.

"Goodluck!" Alliby smiles as I step into the tube. I wave at him as I slide upwards into the arena. The bright light blinds me as the tube stops. I look around the arena. Dry climate, forest to my right, probably water in there. I look around for the other tributes and spot Hudson. He has a pure look of panic on his face. I continue to find the boy from 6 having a mental breakdown. I'm definitely going for him first. I continue my search as the gamemakers start counting down.

"59, 58, 57, 56, 55, 54, 53, 52, 51." I spot Lillian to my left. She looks like her annoying self.

"47, 46, 45, 44, 43, 42, 41." I look to my right and spot Athena, Wade, and Felix on their podiums. Wade looks concentrated from what I can see. Athena looks like she's taking in her surroundings. And Felix just looks like his normal flirtatious self.

"28, 27, 26, 25, 24." I look at the cornucopia. I scan the area for my axe, right in the centre of the Cornucopia. And so are all the other careers weapons of choice. I smirk.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5." My heart starts pounding in my ears. I move into a running position and get ready.

"3, 2, 1." The gun goes off and I leap off my podium. I sprint as fast as I can towards the Cornucopia. Athena reaches it first and goes straight to her knives. Once I get there, I grab my axe and dart towards the other tributes. With a quick swing of my axe, the boy- August from 6- who was standing in front of me's head slides off. I turn around to find a girl behind me, running up to me with a knife posed to attack. I use the back of my axe to knock it out of her hand, then chop into her stomach, leaving her clothes a bright red. I dodge and swirl around others who swing at me. Until the Cornucopia is either filled with dead bodys, or my careers. I walk over to them. Athena is standing over a person who I assume she just killed. She makes her way over to where we are standing.

"How many did you get?" Asks Wade.

"Three." Athena smiles.

"Two." says Wade.

"Same." says Felix.

"I got one." whines Lillian.

"I got one!" Proudly announces Harrison.

"You Oakley?" Asks Felix.

"Two." I turn to look at him and smile. We clean out the Cornucopia before heading to find a place to make our shelter. We tucker down between three trees. We set up our sleeping bags and a supply pile.

"We need water." States Athena.

"I'll come." I say, getting up.

"Alright."

We each grab five water bottles and take off towards the woods.

****

I leap into my sleeping bag, water bottles flying in the air. I land with a thud and feel my feet kick something.

"Owww!" Squeals Felix.

"Oh, my gosh! Sorry!" I gush. He pouts and holds his cheek. I chuck the water bottles over to where Athena just placed hers. We chat about our districts and snack on dried fruit while we wait for the sun to set. The sun paints the sky a bright orange and purple colour. As the last hint of the sun is gone the anthem slowly starts playing. We watch as face after face of tributes that will never go home flash across the sky. We take turns naming the tributes and seeing who killed who. I smile as the face of the boy from 6 appears in the sky. As I stare at the sky I see out of the corner of my eye that Felix is inching his sleeping bag slowly closer to mine. This makes me smile even larger. When the Anthem ends, we all hop into our sleeping bag and let Wade take the first night watch shift.

****

I'm woken to a rough shaking to my arm.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Your shift," Athena says, her voice heavy with sleep. I get up and go sit by the tree trunk. She climbs into her sleeping bag and is asleep in minutes.

I sit and stare into the distance. Lillian ruffles her sleeping bag and Wade rolls over. I look over to Felix as he mumbles in his sleep. I chuckle and look up to the stars. The sky is black and dark with stars painted across it. I hear a ruffle and look back down. Felix is sitting up in his sleeping bag and scratching his hair. I look at him confusedly as he turns his head to face mine.

"Hey? You ok?" I ask him.

"Ya. I'm fine. Something just woke me up." He rubs his eyes and climbs out of his sleeping bag, he walks over to me and takes a seat.

"What time is it?" He asks.

"Well, it's hard to say, but if you look at the way the moon is you can tell." I point to the huge full moon in the sky.

"I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about," Felix chuckles.

"Well. I would say it's around 1 am because if it was midnight the moon would be right above us, in the highest part of the sky. But it's slightly to the left of us so that means it's around 1."

"Wow. That's quite cool." Felix looks up to the sky.

"Ya. I guess it is." I smile.

"How much longer is your shift?" he asks.

"Not long." I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! Oakley's writer her! I just wanna apologize for unactiveness! I was sick last week and Athena's writer was competing at a horse show! But otherwise! Pls enjoy the chapter and the following ones!  

<333333333333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.5K 2.1K 25
Johanna Mason. The girl from District 7. The victor of the 71st Hunger Games. But how did she become a victor? You know her name but not her story. T...
190K 3.2K 24
Wren Eldrid did not volunteer for the 74th Hunger Games. Cato Hadley did. Wren is from District Ten. Cato is from District Two. Hearing the news of...
26.5K 825 51
You've noticed that the odds seem to never be in your favor. When you are reaped in the 74th Annual Hunger Games, two years after your brother, will...
6.9K 124 28
Y/N Y/L/N is announced to be the district 4 female tribute for the 73rd Hunger Games. She has to leave her little sister with her dead beat siblings...