The shipbuilder's daughter

By libraryofdaisies

Lily and her father Thomas Andrews, the Titanic's builder, board the ship of dreams on April 10th, 1912. More

𝐌𝐚𝐒𝐧 𝐜𝐑𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐭
Prologue: New York, US
April 10th, 1912
First-class club
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, April 19th
April 11th, 1912
A nice afternoon in third class
Getting to know each other
A third-class party
Senate Inquiry, April 19th
April 12th, 1912
The Andrews
Slipping through my fingers
The Senate Inquiry continues - April 19th, 1912
Into the snake pit

April 13th, 1912

148 4 0
By libraryofdaisies

Thomas and Lily had sat down to have breakfast at their usual table. « Are you planning to visit Tommy today? » Thomas asks, between two sips of his coffee. « I am » replies Lily. « Are you going to tell him how you feel? ». Thomas smiles. He knows his daughter is happy. « I think so. I would also like to tell him that we talked about this last night. And that you see this relationship in a good light. I think that might make him feel better. You know, he's a bit uncomfortable in our little world. He told me he feels like he doesn't belong. It's understandable, people from high society are not the most welcoming ones. They judge everyone, all the time. Including themselves » she tells.

Thomas nods in agreement. « You have to make him feel welcome among us. You know I do not care about what other people might think » Thomas says. « I know that. He admires you a lot, you know. I think he'll be reassured to know that you think highly of him too » she replies. « You should also check on the young Rose. I'm a bit dismayed by what you've told me ». Lily frowns. « You agree that it was all nonsense, right? » she asks. « It is strange indeed. What do you think really happened? ». Lily lowers her voice a little to answer: « I wonder if this avoided fall was really an accident. You know, she always looks so sad. And even more so lately, we've been talking about it ». Thomas nods again. « If you're right, it's even more concerning than we thought. She must be very desperate if she wanted to intend on her life » Thomas says gravely. « I will try to talk to her » Lily adds.

In the third-class general room, Tommy, Jack and Fabrizio took a seat among other passengers. Fabrizio is having a conversation with Helga. They are still struggling to understand each other, but they manage to get by. Jack is having fun with a little girl called Cora. He shows her his drawings and the little girl seems to be amazed. After a while, her parents come to pick her up. « Come on Cora. Time to say goodbye to Uncle Jack » her father says. « Bye Uncle Jack » said Cora. Jack smiles and waves goodbye.

He then turns to Tommy. The Irish boy has a blank stare and looks sad. « You okay, buddy? » Jack asks. Tommy sighs: « I'm gutted. I had no idea she was playing both sides » he says. His eyes are now filled with anger, thinking about this. « I understand you're disappointed » Jack replies. He places a friendly hand on Tommy's shoulder.

At the same time, Rose enters the room. Gradually, the room falls silent as she passes. Everyone seems to be amazed by her presence, her beauty. She looks around for Jack. She approaches the boys: « Mr Dawson, may I speak with you? » she asks. « Sure » replies Jack. Rose looks at Tommy, then at Fabrizio and Helga. Everyone is waiting to hear what she has to say. « In private? » she adds. « Of course » says Jack. He stands up. Tommy looks at Rose, then at Jack with a smirk. Passing in front of him, Jack gives him a pat, making him understand to stop teasing him.

After sharing breakfast with her father, Lily once again heads for the third-class deck. She is very eager to get back to Tommy. She will finally admit what she feels, she is ready to do so. She almost runs to make her way faster.

A few metres away from the third class, Lily runs into Rose and Jack. She looks surprised, but doesn't lose her broad smile. « Oh, what a surprise! How are you, Rose? » asks Lily. « Very well, thank you. I was able to recover from my emotions. And I wanted to thank Mr Dawson for saving me » Rose replies. « Where are you going so fast? » she then asks. « I'm going to visit a friend in third class » says Lily. Jack looks embarrassed. « Can we speak for a moment? » he asks Lily. « Sure. What's going on, Jack? » They both take a step aside from Rose. « I think you shouldn't go » Jack says. Lily looks shocked. She doesn't understand. « Why not? ». « I think you should leave him alone. We both heard you last night. You were telling Rose and her fiancé that you had no interest in Tommy ». Lily is speechless. She had indeed said that. But she wanted to get rid of Caledon and his indiscretion quickly. She didn't mean a word of it. « No, Jack, you don't understand... » she begins to say. She doesn't smile anymore. She looks desperate and confused. « He is hurt. He really is. I can tell you where he is, if you like. But I really think you should leave him alone » Jack adds. This may sound a bit harsh, but Jack didn't know how Lily really felt. All he knew was that she had hurt his friend. And that, he could not accept. He was angry with her too. Lily notices his coldness. She feels helpless, she doesn't know what to say. She feels tears coming to her eyes. Not wanting to cry in front of them, or anyone else for that matter, she gives up and goes back to where she came from.

« What is happening? » Rose then asks, noticing that there was a delicate situation. « She played with a friend of mine. We've heard her when you were talking last night » Jack replies. Rose seems surprised. « Well, I don't know what this is all about, but let me tell you this girl is the most honest and frank person I've ever met. Therefore, I'm sure there was a misunderstanding » Rose says.

On her way, Lily meets Mr Formosa. She notices him, but pretends not to see him. Unfortunately, Formosa's determination had not waned. « Miss Andrews! » he calls from distance. He manages to quickly reach her and stops her on the way. « Lily, I would like to steal some of your time. I have an important question to ask you » Formosa explains. He seems so excited about what he's about to do that he doesn't even notice that Lily is upset. Before he can go any further, Lily raises her head and looks at him, straight in the eyes. « Mr. Formosa. In spite of all the honor that your interest in me can procure, you must know that I do not care ». Formosa frowns, he didn't expect that. « This is too much. My father warned you. I don't intend to get married. And if one day it should happen, it would certainly not be with you. I would like you to stop coveting me, once and for all » she adds.

She was about to continue walking, but Formosa holds her arm to stop her. « Do you think you are the only one living in a world that is not made for you? ». Lily then looks at him questioningly. « You are not the only one who has to fight against so-called proprieties in order to be who you really are. I cannot marry for love, this world would not accept it. Therefore, I set out to find a woman who is worthwhile. So who better than you? A woman who also has no great interest in marriage. A woman who is not looking to fall in love. A woman who has her own business, who will not be dependent on me in every way. A woman who could have simply become a life partner, a friend. That is all I wanted » he says.

Lily can't believe it. There is a silence between them. She finally realizes. She understands the delicate situation in which Mr. Formosa finds himself. She understands how much, indeed, this world would not accept a man like him. A man who could never see in Lily anything more than a friend. In Lily, or any other woman. The aggressive look she had shown is now leaving her face. It softens, becomes compassionate. « I'm really sorry » she simply says. She walks over to him to take his hands and clasp them in hers. She looks into his eyes again, but gently this time. « Truly ».

Formosa nods and smiles softly at her. He wanted her to understand that what had just happened was not important. Before she leaves, he adds: « May I ask you to keep this conversation between us? ». « Do not worry. It's our little secret » she says. They smile at each other again, then Lily eventually goes back on her way.

A little further on, on the deck, Lily sees her father. When he sees her in turn, he understands right away that something has gone wrong. He immediately abandons what he was doing to come and meet her. « What's the matter, sweetheart? ». Lily starts to cry. Thomas takes her in his arms. « Let's go somewhere else, away from prying eyes » he says.

Thus, they quickly return to their cabins. They both enter the one occupied by Thomas. « Tell me everything, what happened? » Thomas asks, taking his daughter's face between his hands. « I ruined it all. He thinks I've been playing with him » Lily tells. « How is that even possible? ». Lily continues to cry: « Yesterday, when I came back with Rose and Mr Hockley, he asked me about Tommy. You know, Caledon was judging the fact that I spend a lot of time with him. It wasn't Caledon I wanted to tell the truth to. So I lied. I simply told him that I had no interest in marriage, that I wasn't interested in Tommy, any more than in anyone else. But I didn't mean a word of it, you know that Papa. I no longer see it that way » she tells. It is difficult for her to breathe properly between her story and her sobs. She pauses for a moment, then adds: « And Tommy, who was a little lower down, would have heard everything ». Thomas takes her and holds her close. He had never seen his daughter in such pain before and it tears his heart. « Did you try to speak with him at all? » he asks. « I couldn't. I ran into one of his friends, Jack Dawson. Who saved Rose last night. He's the one who told me all this. He advised me not to go down to see Tommy and to leave him alone. He also thinks that I've made a fool of him » she explains.

Thomas frowns, but Lily doesn't see it. He doesn't like this situation. He could accept a lot of things, but to have his daughter blamed for intentions that were not the right ones, he could not. However, it does not add anything. He holds his daughter tightly to comfort her, leaving a short moment of silence between them. A moment to allow Lily to compose herself.

« I think you should get some rest » he then says. « Go back to your cabin and lay down for a while. Close your eyes, it will do you good. All those emotions you didn't expect are making you very tired ». Lily nods in agreement. She kisses her father and so heads towards her cabin.

Thomas then starts thinking. It was very painful for him to see his daughter so desperate and helpless. He felt that he had to do something about it. His daughter, who used to be so strong, so confident, now wears a sad and sullen face that Thomas does not like at all. For once she had taken the decision to open her heart, she is now facing a real injustice. After a moment of reflexion, he leaves his cabin.

He takes the first exit leading to the deck. He walks with a determined step, looking straight ahead. Some of the passengers are even wondering what is tormenting Mr Andrews so much. On the way, he sees Rose and a young man he doesn't know. But it doesn't take much for him to assume that he is the much talked about Jack Dawson, about whom his daughter had told him. Rose sees him pass. A little worried by Mr Andrews' attitude, she quickly explains to Jack that the man who has just passed is Lily's father. They both watch him walk away. There was no doubt that he was heading rapidly towards the third-class deck.

Thomas Andrews heads straight for the general room. He assumed that this was the first place he should visit if he wanted to find Tommy. And obviously, he was not mistaken. As he arrives, he looks around the room. Many of the passengers are there, chatting or drinking a beer. A few children are running around. It isn't long before Mr Andrews' presence is noticed. Several passengers greet him politely, honoured to meet him. After kindly returning some greetings, he eventually spots Tommy a little further on.

The young Irishman had also seen him from where he was standing. He could not believe his eyes. Mr Andrews' presence here makes him very nervous. What could have happened to make the shipbuilder come down here? To meet him! Tommy stiffens as Thomas approaches him. Although Mr Andrews was a genuinely good man, it was impressive to see him walk with such a determined step through the whole room.

"Mr. Ryan, could I have a word with you?" Thomas asks Tommy when he reaches him. Tommy nods in agreement. He doesn't even dare to say a word. « I think it's necessary that we talk about some things » Thomas begins. His face had softened. He could see that Tommy didn't know what to think and Thomas only wishes the upcoming discussion to go well. « But first, I have a proposition to make ».

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 52 15
Annamarie Cole died on April 15th, 1912 along with the Titanic. At least that's what Austin Harris thinks. But when he is searching the Titanic for a...
1.3K 84 19
Lydia Claire dreaded this trip. Accompanied by her oblivious father and her abusive fiancΓ©, she was trapped within the steel walls of the grandest sh...
9.2K 132 7
hello guys! I would like to warn you first that this is just my being addicted to my favorite movie ever. I just can't help myself from moving on in...
93K 2.6K 20
❝ He was there, waiting for a boat. She was on a boat, waiting for him. ❞ © Tommy fanfiction all rights go to Christopher Nolan © cover made by me