Changeling

By Reika-Suzuya

This is a Tokyo Ghoul fanfiction. There WILL be spoilers; you have been warned, not-caught-up people.~ Discla... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Ghouls & Doves
Chapter 2: Food for Thought
Chapter 4: Life is Beautiful
Chapter 5: Beggin' for Thread
Chapter 6: Black Widow
Chapter 7: Among Friends & Enemies

Chapter 3: Feelings of Emotion

67 9 4
By Reika-Suzuya

[A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Shizu-san because of a Nook friendship that was temporarily lost due to my not being on and the rekindling of that friendship thanks to Wattpad. *gives everyone a bunch of cookies* I'm so happy!~ The pic used for this chapter was so fitting because of the donut, but this is after his hair is dyed black. Hahaha~]
{Ah~ Remembering these things brings forth such a nostalgic feeling. I rather like it. You're paying awfully good attention to what I'm telling, Reader-chan.~ Hmm...I smell donuts, so yummy.~ Eh? I got distracted! Heh~ Well, back to my tale.}
I bit into a donut and my eyes widened, then I stuffed the entire donut in my mouth. I stuffed my face with more donuts and ate all of my share quickly. I now loved donuts.

"Mmmm! Mph! Mm!" I made little noises as I chewed happily.

"I never thought a ghoul would be enjoying a donut," Hanbee mumbled as I swallowed. "Are you faking?"

"Haaaanbee!~ Are you going to eat that? Or are you too weirded out?~ If you're not eating your donut, I will!~" I giggled, already reaching for the sugary treat. This was part of the reason I was called Changeling; I could eat food as if I were a normal human despite being born a full blooded ghoul. If you know stories of the Fair Folk, then it makes more sense. It had started with my parents taking notice when I was two. That's a flashback for another time, though. I didn't feel like thinking about that at the moment.

"Awww! I wanted to eat it!" Juuzou whined. We'd both eaten most of the donuts and Hanbee was the only one with a donut left.

"I'll share, Juuzou-kun~," I said.

"I don't like sharing," Juuzou said.

"I wouldn't have suggested sharing for Hanbee. I wanna share with you," I said, not really thinking of what I spoke.

"That's mean," Hanbee mumbled, feeling left out. Juuzou made a thoughtful pouty face for a few seconds.

"Fine, but I get the bigger half~," Juuzou said.

"Okay~," I giggled, splitting the donut into uneven halves and giving him the bigger piece.

"I never even got a say in this...." Hanbee mumbled. The poor guy was being so ignored. Juuzou and I ate our donut halves.
|~|~|~|~|
"Rei-chan, are you sleeping? You're still walking, so why are you sleeping?~" Juuzou asked, rousing me from my sleep. Apparently, I'd fallen asleep some time after leaving the donut place and started sleepwalking. I rubbed at my eyes sleepily.

"Hnn? Sowwy. I always feel sleepy after eating something~," I hummed.

"That's a strange habit....and unsafe," Hanbee said, trembling at that last thought.

"Nothing is safe because there is no such thing as safe~," I hummed darkly.

"D-don't say things like th-that," Hanbee stuttered.

"But it's true!~ No matter what, there's no such thing as safe~," I said in a much more lighthearted tone.

"Haha~ It's no use. Hanbee will always be a coward~," Juuzou said teasingly.

"Coward!~ Coward!~ Hahaha~," I laughed.

"Reika-san, why did you come to the 20th Ward?" Hanbee asked, changing the subject.

"I move around a lot, never really having stayed in any one place for longer than a few weeks," I replied. Suddenly, a particular scent drifted passed my nose.

"Really?" Hanbee asked, a little surprised. I ignored him and started for the scent, a bad feeling about the cause of it.

"Rei-chan, where're you going?~" Juuzou asked, running after me, Hanbee right behind him.

"I scent blood. Someone's dead," I answered. Turning a corner, I saw two people down an alley covered in blood. One was dead, the other sobbing profusely in both fear and grief. My nose twitched, searching for the one who caused the two humans such pain. I didn't trust that the person was gone; this could actually even be a trap. No, this was definitely a trap, one that two innocent people were forced into.

"Got you!" a female ghoul yelled, grabbing hold of Hanbee and knocking him to the ground. I'd moved out of the way at the last second; it wasn't my fault Hanbee happened to be behind me. "Eh? Where'd she go?"

"Why does everyone seem to want to eat me? I'd like to know," I said softly in a dangerous tone, my breath in her ear and my ukaku kagune draped lazily over her shoulders. The woman stiffened and gritted her teeth. "It's really quite annoying, especially when you types always underestimate me like that."

"Why you...You'll wish you'd stayed still once I'm done with you," she snarled.

"Baka," I said. I stabbed a flurry of feathers from my kagune through her abdomen as I spoke. She didn't get the chance to respond as to protect herself and coughed up blood. I then kneed her in the back, breaking her spine. She screamed in agony and I flung her to the side, towards Juuzou. I'd let him handle the rest as I squatted in front of Hanbee with a smile now gracing my lips and extended a hand to him. "Are you okay, Hanbee?~"

"Y-yeah. J-just a little shaken," he replied. Hanbee took my hand and I helped him up. I then went over to the sobbing high-school girl, sitting next to her and giving her a comforting hug. My head rested on her shoulder.

"Hush awr, blant annwyl, nid oes angen i dagrau, Dream ymaith dy holl ofnau drwg.~ Cwsg yn awr, angel melys, peidiwch â crio, Mam yn addo i gyd i fod yn iawn~," I started singing softly in Welsh. I was trilingual, knowing English and Welsh as well as my native Japanese. I'd learned a little Welsh from my mother before being abandoned and had taught myself the rest by sneaking into libraries at night and reading the necessary books. Really, it was a way to pass the time, but it came in useful now since I felt it was the most soothing language to sing in, even though this girl had no idea what words I sang. She soon calmed, her sobs turning to sniffling.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm such a bother like this," she said in a whisper after I finished singing. She didn't seem to mind that I was a ghoul; perhaps because I'd just taken part in getting rid of the ghoul who'd killed the lifeless female next to her. "Thank you for saving me, e-even if that wasn't your intention."

"You're no bother. It's fine, isn't it? You just lost someone you really care about, so it's only natural to cry," I told her, my kagune twitching a bit. "I'm Reika. What's your name?"

"I-I'm Kiomi. Th-thank you for being so nice, Reika-san. It'd be nice if we could be friends," the girl, Kiomi, said. I tilted my head sideways.

"Friends?" I spoke, testing the word out.

"Y-yeah. If it's o-okay with you, I'd like to be your friend," she said, smiling a little. I started to understand a little what the word meant.

"Okay. We can be...friends~," I said. As I spoke those binding words, I felt a little as if that's how I felt towards Juuzou and Hanbee. I also started to realise something else as well. "Let's get you home safe now, Kio-chan.~"
|~|~|~|~|
After dropping Kiomi off in front of her house, the three of us walked in a random direction. Juuzou had his hands clasped behind his head. If possible, Hanbee actually seemed a bit braver.

"You were really kind to that girl, dropping her off like that. Why'd you do it?" Juuzou asked.

"Hn? Well, she wanted to be my friend, and that made me realise something," I replied.

"Hm? And what's that?" he pried. I looked up at the starry sky with a complacent smile, putting my hands behind my head like Juuzou.

"She made me realise that.... I don't really want to be all alone like I've been for so long," I answered. "I think maybe a part of that realisation was also because of you and Hanbee-kun."

"Eh? Really?"Hanbee asked, surprised. I tilted my head back to look at him from an upside-down view, still walking.

"Yeah! I think I'm really starting to care about Hanbee-kun rather than just see him as an amusing person to play with~," I said unabashedly, wording it in such a way despite speaking directly to him. Hanbee's cheeks flushed a bright red.

"D-do you actually mean that?" he asked. I giggled.

"Of course!~ I wouldn't lie about my own feelings~," I chirped.

"Haha~ If you're saying that, then make sure not to become useless, 'kay~," Juuzou laughed. I looked at him, still smiling brightly.

"Who knows? Maybe this will make me stronger ~," I giggled.
|~|~|~|~|
Normally, I slept during the day, but I couldn't. I decided on going to the nearest coffee shop and relaxing in the scent. Just as I'd closed my eyes and let the smell drift passed my nose, I felt a lot more calm than usual, less hyper.

"Reika-san!" a familiar female voice called. I opened my eyes and saw Kiomi walking towards me, waving.

"Kio-chan! Good morning~," I greeted, waving back. She hugged me once she reached where I was and I hugged her back. "How are you?~"

"I'm all right. Still a little sad about Takiode-senpai, but doing a lot better than I might've if not for you, Reika-san," Kiomi replied. "Oh, and her funeral's going to be in two days. Um...if you don't mind, I'd like you to come."

"Of course! I'll be there for Kio-chan, definitely~," I trilled. She smiled a little.

"Thanks, Reika-san. Want to get a coffee? My treat," Kiomi said.

"Okay~," I said, then we went inside the little coffee shop.
[A/N: If you can guess what's different about this chapter from the previous two, I'll give you Kaneki shaped cookies.~ Also, I'd like to dedicate the OC of Kiomi to iLiVe-san.~]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65K 1.3K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...
162K 5.7K 42
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
600K 12.8K 43
i should've known that i'm not a princess, this ain't a fairytale mattheo riddle x fem oc social media x real life lowercase intended started: 08.27...
177K 4.7K 40
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...