A Journey From Germany

By IAmARandomPersonNow

This is a fanfiction of Anne Blankmans The Prisoner Of Night And Fog and it's sequel The Conspiracy Of Blood... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
My notes for the Fanfic

Chapter 1

43 2 0
By IAmARandomPersonNow

I looked at the map "Maybe we should go to Bregenz than Liechtechstein as it's easier to get by without an ID, maybe when we go to Zürich, we'll have to walk though, it'd take several days, and we'd have to stay in some smaller towns and have some jobs to pay for false IDs and for your arm" I said "No, we handle my arm after we get to Oxford when we get to..." He didn't finish the sentence "Whitestones" I said as I have never told Daniel my friend in England.
———

We soon arrived to Bregenz and got off the train and we stood on the station platform "We need to change our money" I said going to a coin exchange. I got out about 2000 .- (Francs) I was shocked since I had 4000 RM (Reinsmarks) I quickly got back to Daniel and we started looking for someone to make us false IDs

(I'm sorry if I get the coinage wrong but it's hard to translate dollars to Swiss Francs and German Reinsmarks, than translate to value from 1932 to 2022 money. Although the value of Francs and Reinsmarks is about half and much more, so to save you from trying to figure out the money they had about $20000 in todays money)

"How long do you think we'll have to stay here for before we can continue to England?" I asked, looking to Daniel. "I'm not sure, it depends on how quick we can have our IDs forged and someone to forge it for us," Daniel said looking down deep in thought. "We should probably find someone as soon as possible" Daniel said while looking over Lake Bodensee. Trees slowly losing their golden leaves and starting to float on the water.

I nodded and lightly held onto his right hand as his left hand was still injured from the fight yesterday as we were fleeing Munich. I took a shaky breath "We should find an inn that won't ask for our IDs" I said as looked at the buildings around us.

After a few hours of searching for a inn we finally found one. The rules were rather simple, don't be loud, disruptive, don't use lights after 9:00 or before 5:30. I was relieved when we didn't have to sign in or out every time we leave, although  we did have to sign our names. We used Daniels name since he wasn't as well known as I was.

We quickly noticed it was a small inn with only two other rooms. We went into our room and sat on the bed. The room was small and had a door leading to a small bathroom, the room itself had a bed, radio and a window. We were lucky how cheap the inn was, but I still had a question on the back of my mind. "Daniel, how are we going to get money? We'd need to use ID's" I said looking down, a hint of worry quickly spreading across my face.

"Gretchen; did you forget how old we are?" He paused, "We can quite easily get a small job without any IDs since we are only 17 and 18. As people old enough to still be in school they don't need to do a background check. Well, as long as we don't look like we've done something illegal." Daniel added at the end, I nodded. I remember how I got my old job, I had simply told Hitler that my mother made me drop out of Gymnasium and he got me a job within the National Socialist with Herr Hanfstaengl as a secretary for his department.

"I guess, but they'll have to be small jobs available for German speakers, since we don't share lots of vocabulary," I said. "But in this area of Switzerland they do speak  German since it's bordered with Germany." Daniel added. I nodded about to lay down, suddenly I heard Daniel groan. I quickly turned to him. I saw him gripping his left arm. "You told me it had stopped hurting." I scolded him, looking at his left arm. Daniel didn't answer but I saw that Daniel looked like he was about to scream out in pain, yet he didn't.

After about 15 minutes Daniel was panting, the pain had dulled down to a bare able pain. Daniel looked up at me with a slightly pained face. I didn't dare scold him, I remembered something I learnt when I studied to become a doctor in gymnasium. "I can't be sure, but I don't think that arm is going to heal. I remember when I was studying to become I doctor, although I was more into broken bones. Which that isn't, maybe a little, but enough for us to really worry, just don't put to much weight or strain on it and it should be fine." I muttered. Daniel seemed to have understood "How about tomorrow morning we go looking for work. It's to late now, after all, most places are starting to close since it's so late." Daniel said before lightly kissing my forehead.

After getting changed into a bathrobe that the inn provided; Daniel and I got into bed and went into a dreamless sleep. I kept waking up, I swear I keep hearing the sound of SA men boots on the pavement outside the inn. I would look at Daniel each time I woke up, he seemed to be in a light sleep, and only a few times had Daniel also woken up.

When it was finally morning, I neatened up my hair and tried to look more presentable seeing as we had nothing but a small amount of money. Once I deemed myself presentable I came out of the bathroom and Daniel followed after me. "So what's the plan for today?" I asked "Try to find a job, hopefully one we both can do." Daniel said, I nodded and we went on our way out of the inn.

We walked past a café called 'Café Fleur' and I stopped "We meet here at luncheon?" I asked, Daniel nodded and we went our separate ways. I walked around to the town while Daniel stayed around Lake Bodensee. I walked around some shops since they would have a higher chance of hiring. After a few hours I looked at the clock at the shop I was at 11:30. I decided it was time to go back to Café Fleur.

Once I got there Daniel joined me shortly after "Anything?" I asked "Not really, only ferry crew, but you need some knowledge before you apply." Daniel sighed. "There was only some jobs for stocking shelves and unloading trucks for stores," I said. Both Daniel and I dropped our heads in disappointment. "We have enough money to make it a week or two, besides, it's only the first day, I'm sure we could find a job by than," I told Daniel hopefully, mainly trying to make myself feel better.

"Pardon me," said a woman in good German "Aren't you the Fräulein that helped me with my son?" She asked. I widened my eyes and recognized the woman "Oh, yes," I said slightly embarrassed. "It sounds to me that you and your beau seem to be looking for a job," She said. My face started to glow a red, but I nodded "Well, I've been looking for a nanny for my children, they are quite the handful, but you seemed to handle them quite fine. If you want you can take the role of their nanny. My husband and I are stopping here for a few days before going to Bern, where my home is" She said. My eyes widened, I'll be able to earn some money, but what about Daniel?

"Your beau could also get a job, say, how educated are you?" She asked Daniel. "I finished gymnasium before I became I reporter, although I did study some sciences and math," Daniel said. I was shocked, I didn't know that. "Do you think you'd be able to tutor my children beside your girl?" The woman asked, Daniel nodded. "Perfect. Do you think you could take me to the inn or boarding house you are staying at so we can talk more about this?" The woman asked, I looked at Daniel before nodding.

After we walked back to our room we sat on the bed and the woman sat on a chair across from us. "My name is Rebbeka Schneider, so you'll address me as Frau Schneider when you work. My husband and I can provide you two a room, although you'll have to share since we were looking for a nanny who would also tutor and a spare room for a guest, if you understand what I'm saying. We should also be able provide you food most days, although Fräulein, you might do some cooking, but I should usually be able to do it." Frau Schneider explained.

I nodded in acknowledgment. "Herr..?" Frau Schneider trailed off, looking at Daniel. "Cohen" Daniel told her quickly. "Herr Cohen, you'll teach my children as if they were in school. So for 6 hours from 10:30 till luncheon where they will have a 20 minute break before continuing till 3:30. Fräulein, you'll be present during this time, and their lunch unless my husband or myself dismiss you. This will allow you to spend time with Herr Cohen and allow my husband and I to have time with my children. We'll further discuss this later. While my husband and I stay in Bregenz for about two weeks you'll have to stay here. When we leave you'll come with us. I'll return here tomorrow morning" Frau Schneider said before leaving.

Word count: 1624

A/N

I'll try to use proper thermology and if the characters speak French I'll type the in French but have the translation in brackets.

Some side notes:
Gymnasium is kind of like year 11 or 12, it prepares students for University.
Frau is a married woman while Fräulein is used for young or un married women
Herr is basically Mr
Beau is basically what the original author of the Prisoner Of Night And Fog used for boyfriend

Luncheon is basically lunch time

I hope you have a good rest of your day/night

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 5.7K 32
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
359K 29.3K 41
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
852K 39.7K 170
𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one
853K 45.3K 32
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...