The price of a mile (Second s...

By KennyMichels

May 12 1943 the attack on Kasserine Pass in Africa by the Axis has commenced. The men of war from Germany's w... More

Chapter 1- Test your metal
Chapter 2~ The metal horses
Chapter 3~ Evening the odds
Chapter ~ 4 Ally counter offensive
Chapter 5~ For whom the bell tolls
Chapter 6 - Raining fire
Chapter 7- First step into Hell
Chapter 8 ~ Men of war
Chapter 9 - Goodbye my Mina
Chapter 10~ Sandstorm
Chapter 11 - Air raid
Chapter 12 - Italian shores we near
Chapter 13- Order of the Iron Cross
Chapter 15- Nightmares
Chapter 16 - Operation Husky
Chapter 17 - Into the breach!!
Chapter 18 - British Marines
Chapter 19- Over the hills and far away
Chapter 20- Centuripe
Chapter 21- There's no rest for the wicked
Chapter 22- Day one
Chapter 23 - Day Two
Chapter 24- Day three
Chapter 25 - Surrounded
Chapter 26- Sabateurs
Chapter 27- Run
Chapter 28- Once more into battle
Chapter 29-W.I.A.
Chapter 30- Epilouge

Chapter 14- Homeward bound

120 10 0
By KennyMichels

Taking a step into Heinrich's office Karl closes the door carefully behind him then facing forward towards the Colonel General, Karl straightens up and clicking his heels together he salutes.

Looking up from his paperwork Heinrich commanding voices comes out short "At ease." he says as Karl relaxes a little. Standing with his hands behind his back and his feet spread apart slightly Karl stands to attention quietly then he inhales speaking.

"Morgen herr, Major Kriesser reporting." Karl says awaiting for the OberstGeneral to speak, and there he continues to stand at eased as he waits. Looking up at Karl and then back down at his desk where Karl's military career and the promotional document is from one of the higher ranking Field Marshals that sits on his desk.

He then looks back up saying "We're dangerously low on our lower General staff ranks, due to the drawn out battle of Tunisia.. As well as the German forces surrendering at Cape Bon, our main Colonels there where either K.I.A or they're now POWs." The General says in a angered voice from the news of the German forces dishonorably surrendering without fighting at Cape Bon.

"You're being promoted to Colonel, Major. So in other words, you're being rank-jumped because of the permission I was given to fill up the lower ranks by the Reichsmarshal. Since you're a experienced officer, and with most of our other forces are fighting in Russia. As well as the fact you're being transferred to the Sicily defenses, you're being promoted as well as your new commanding officer will be GeneralLeutnant Eberhard Rodt." Heinrich says drawing a big breath in the end.

After a moment he raises his cup to his lips drinking the contents of water within it, taking the time to let the information for Karl sink in so far. Then after a minute he continues briefing Karl of what is to happen.

"Generalleutnant Rodt, is in Sicily he's in charge of the 22nd Panzer Division that Rommel sent his way, and the 15th Panzer Grenadiers division. Obviously you'll be in charge of one of the Regiments from the 15th at the beaches of Italy, there the Italian army will fight along side of us to hold the beaches. Understood Colonel?" Heinrich asks looking at him with a uninterested glance.

"Ja herr, I do" Karl replies holding his surprise back saluting then Heinrich reaches down into one of the desk cabinets and he pulls a box out then retrieves golden aiguillettes. Then holding both of them out in one hand Karl carefully takes it and gently sets it down then Heinrich asks for his Major insignias and the silver aiguillettes he currently has on.

Complying with the order he removes them and he then exchanges them for the Colonel insignia and the golden aiguillettes doing the process of clasping the insignias on.

Then getting the aiguillettes on as well. Once done Karl salutes with a happy grin to his face and returning the salute Heinrich then grabs a official looking folder that reads 'classified' in big red letters on the outside of it. Then he hands it to Karl.

"Within the folder are the plans for the beach defenses of your sector, that you're going to defend along side one of the Italian Generals. Read it carefully and get down to Sicily when your leave ends as quick as possible. Dismissed." Heinrich says returning the salute then sitting back down.

With a nod Karl tucks the folder underneath his arm and against his upper body like he's carrying a helmet, the side with the word 'classified' on it is pressed to his chest to conceal it and keep prying eyes from him. Soon he heads back out into the courtyard seeing a jeep has pulled up for his ride that'll take him 3 blocks down to the train station.

Walking up Karl stands near and seeing the nod from the younger officer, Karl heads over to the passenger side and he opens the door. Getting into the jeep where he asks. "Zu dem Zug statione, bitte."

With a nod the Lieutenant puts the vehicle into drive and he applies pressure to the pedal and it lurches forward beginning the drive down the street to the station. After a good 4 minute drive the driver pulls on up to the sidewalk and Karl gets out saying his thanks, then he turns adjusting his officers cap on his head and. He begins his walk heading to the station entrance to show his travel papers one of the station masters and he directs him onto the nearby train heading to Munich.

Saying his thanks Karl makes his way over and gets into the queue to board the train, luckily for Karl. This line moves along quicker then the last one had. Now that the line has moved along and Karl had his ticket punched out he find a seat in one of the forward compartments for the upper middle class to the first class seating. Karl had intended to sit back a bit where the less fortunate folk sat because all his life he was brought up as a gentlemen yet he couldn't stand being around the more fortunately rich. The lower middle and lower class citizens are better company because they know what it's like to suffer and how to work hard, and thats one of the things Karl likes about them.

Sadly one of the attendees seeing his Colonel insignia and his officers uniform standing out more then anything among the civilian folk. The man practically begged to have Karl sit in the upper class seating as he thought of him as a war hero and the man couldn't be blamed with the medals Karl had on him it'd easily mistake him for one. Along with the national pride of the people on the train and one man willing to give his seat up so Karl can sit down. He gave in and said his thanks to the people on board and to the younger gentlemen that was willing to give Karl a seat.

Taking his seat in the more comfortable part of the single seat sections where there's 3 seats side by side going down a row of 12 to fill the train car. With a small aisle in the middle that separates the left from the right along with the bagging that's put above in the holders and or cabinet above.

The train whistle blares making Karl jump with a startle as it sounds like a descending bombshell from the high pitch shrill, much like it sounded during the bombardments. Sighing and relaxing his body again, Karl leans back a little drowning out the gentle clamor of the people within the train car talking about family related things, their job or what their son is doing in the war.

The train moves forward with a lurch then the rhythm of the train engine propelling the model forward, the ride to Munich and his love Klaudia back at home has begun.

After a half hour trip Karl arrives at the Geletendorf train station and he steps off with the crowd looking around to see if Klaudia is here. Looking around Karl perks up hearing his name being called over the noise of the crowds shuffling through.

"Karl! Ich bin hier Karl!" sounds Klaudias sweet sounding voice from the crowd. Turning to the sound of her voice he smiles and waves quickly making his way over.

Being married for 4 years, Karl's been wedded to Klaudia since April 1939 and looking that way, he sees his wife and their first child Albert. Who's at the age of 3 and with a head full of rich chocolate hair, the boys grown as well since Karl saw him last almost 8 months ago.

Seeing his Father coming nearer and kind of remembering who Karl is, the little brown eyes grow wide with excitement and he bursts with giggles. As Karl chuckles walking up and giving his Wife a kiss, then he tickles Albert a little the stress from the past few days quickly melting away with the right company.

"Lets head home, I told your father and mother you're returning as well and your mother is cooking salted pork and honey ham back at home and they're both awaiting our return." She says with a smile leaning into Karl for a hug. Whilst Karl uses his free arm he wraps it around her body and he pulls her close to him and in his other, the classified documents and folded map of where troop positioning will be for his sector command.

Karl took a peek of the folder while he was in the jeep from earlier and the 8th infantry regiment and 14th Panzer Grenadier division has been placed under his command for his sector of the beach. Along with Italian troop positions are marked on the map as well and in detail is explained on his documents on what he's to do.

Smiling the two pull away from the embrace and with Albert in Klaudias arms the two of them head out to the awaiting taxi driver that's parked near the curb. Getting in Karl pays for the fare and the vehicle pulls out into the streets taking them to the upper residents housing in the urban area away from the larger town that's thriving around them.

*******

There's the end of the chapter here ladies and gentlemen,

What do you think about Karl and his immediate family so far?

As well as Herr Heinrich we had the pleasure of meeting?

Either way congratulations to you Oberst Kriesser, you are now in the General staff after 4 years of work!

As always don't forget to bayonet that vote button if you enjoyed the chapter and

Leave a comment if you want to share your thoughts, ask a question or in general tell me something, I don't mind either way reading comments and hearing your feed back brings a smile to my face,

G'day!!:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152 0 5
Book 1 Betrayal is worse than slaughter. That's what Antonio Ameen Felder always instilled in his friends. When a murder at the prison threatens to i...
7.5K 171 16
Started~ Nov 12 2021 Finished~ Dystopia: an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalita...
24.8K 965 15
The long anticipated sequel to It was My Willing Choice; the first chapter of the second book, and continuing virtually where the last one had left o...
31 0 8
Sightburgh and Trance City ally, and Shippendale is left to fend for itself. Ronnie comes to the conclusion that Shippendale isn't as innocent as she...