How To Unlock A Duke's Heart

By liaapeaa

This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at... More

How To Unlock A Duke's Heart
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
A/N

Epilouge

3.1K 155 24
By liaapeaa

Granville Estate
Shrewsbury, England

The pitter patter of small feet ran through the second floor of the house. Giggles and shrieks could be heard all the way from the morning room that Francis became quite fond of over the time that he and Georgia lived there.

The season had just ended for a brief recess and he found himself wanting to be back at Granville estate more than ever, especially after he sent his wife and children there one month ahead of him for the extensive journey.

It was another one of those scorching hot summers that he'd grown to appreciate in the years they spent there as well. The estate had been transforming to him. He fell in love with his wife on these very grounds and they spent every summer here with all of their children.

They spent many a summers making love all throughout the estate, on the grounds, and even in the small reverie that Georgia had found many years ago.

He smiled at the memory of those times before the children came.

"Francis, I've just received a letter from our dear friends Lord and Lady Hackett." Georgia told him eagerly as a smile spread wide across her face.

"And, how do they fare?" Francis asked lowering the latest newspaper he received from the London times. They were both still having breakfast together and he looked over at her and caught Georgia taking another sip of tea before she spoke again.

She was still beautiful as if it were the first day he were setting eyes upon her. Over the years they had been together she became evermore radiant. He could only fathom what could be the cause of that smiling a little to himself feeling entirely lucky for having made Georgia his wife.

"They've just had a little girl! Her name is Alice Rose." Georgia beamed excitedly. "Isaac will finally be an older brother. I'm quite happy for them."

"I feel quite the same, although it's quite unfortunate we are unable to go to them. I believe that the time for playing house calls has well and truly passed, my love." Francis said, his eyes sliding past Georgia's face to her overly rounded belly. It was nearly a month before she was due to give birth again, if the Duke's calculations had been right, and her roundness quite confirmed his speculations.

Just then Georgia began to rub her belly lovingly before the morning room door swung wide open and two small children around the same height came running through the room both shouting for their mama and their papa.

Francis smiled taking the boys into his arms. He sat them both on each of his legs and watched their little grubby fingers begin to pick with the left over food that was on his plate.

The twins, Oscar and Earnest were now well in their second year, and were born the same year Georgia and Francis had married. Their next child was soon to be born any day now. Francis couldn't contain the happiness that cocooned him.

Luella came in and gave all three of the men in her life a kiss on their cheeks before doing the same thing to her mother and the growing baby in her belly as well.

Francis could remember a time when Luella was much smaller, even she had grown quite a bit in the years. She was now at tall willowy thing and her blonde curls came down flowingly. She was smarter than ever and would no doubt charm the boots off of anyone who came near.

They all sat talking enjoying the rest of their meal as they normally would. Georgia had finally felt in her heart after watching the man she loved with all her children with the newest addition growing inside of her that she never knew she could ever know such happiness.

Later on that evening, when the Duke found himself in his study after needing a brief respite from a day outdoors entertaining all the children. He wanted to give his wife the much needed time to rest so late in her pregnancy as she was so involved in their children's lives barely letting a nursemaid take over and do the job for her.

So, instead he spent the entire afternoon playing with boys and teaching Luella how to shoot arrows until they all eventually wore themselves out. He was just about to fix himself a glass of brandy, but a knock came at the door.

"My, apologies. I do not wish to be disturbed at the moment." The Duke called from were he was standing with his back turned half way to the door.

"Please, your grace. It is in regards to the Duchess." He recognized one of the maids voices immediately and instantly his heart started in a panic of flutter at the near mention of Georgia.

"Please, come in. What has happened? Is the Duchess well?" He spoke quickly not even waiting for the maid to enter the room completely. Four long strides and he was at the other side of the room.

She opened the door and to her surprise the Duke was already right there in front of her causing the poor maid to nearly squeak.

"My apologies for interrupting, but it is the babe, your grace. It is time for the Duchess to give birth." The girl said pleadingly. "Her Grace, is asking for you."

There was a scream that ricocheted through the entire marble manner causing the hair to rise on the back of Francis' neck.

"Please, call for Dr. Narrymore and the midwife this instant, and please have fresh sheets and towels escorted up to the Duchess' chamber and extra maids." He ordered and then began to make his way to the Duchess's chamber immediately since he knew that's where he would find her this late in the pregnancy.

"Of course, your grace." The young maid called after him nervously at the turn of events. It was always tense for the household when the Duchess gave birth to another child or heir. The welfare for both were the only thing that were being hoped for amongst the house staff.

"Very good." He said continuing to make his up the stairs and down the corridor to where the screams were originating.

He entered the room to find his wife sitting on the edge of the bed squeezing hold of her belly. Pain laced through all her features and sweat beaded above her dark brows. Francis felt guilt sweep through him at the sight at rushed to her side abidingly.

"My love." He took the back of his hand and used his thumb to gently caress the sweat off of her brow. She squeezed her eyes shut at his touch and groaned out loud with pain.

"Francis, I cannot bear it this time. Something must be wrong with the baby!" Georgia cried whilst moaning and doubling over in pain.

"Shh, shh." He shushed her kissing her temple lovingly. "This is like any other time, I know that you can do it."

He assured her by placing his large hands on her belly while rubbing and massaging her with his hand to ease some of the tension. Over the next hour or so he found himself doing much to appease his wife until the doctor came along with the midwife and other maids coming in and out the room with whatever their ladyship needed at that moment's time.

Francis refused to be removed from the room as he watched and whispered encouraging things in Georgia's ear as she began to push their child out into the world. It was as if he was seeing it all over again for the very first time.

The whole thing was absolutely, breathtakingly amazing to him. To see that this beautiful woman that he loved so much could bring to life his children. It made him fall madly in love with her all over again in a whole different light, as if he couldn't stop himself from finding new ways to fall in love with her.

The split second later he watched as the babe's head reared forward and then the body followed with an excessive cry.

"Look! It's a girl!" He heard one of the maids say and he felt his heart nearly falter. A little girl? He was already blessed with his heir and a spare, but now he had a daughter as well. His heart welled with pride.

"Would you like to hold her, your grace." The midwife asked him after the chord was cut and the baby was cleaned.

He nodded his head for fear that if he were to speak he would find that he had no voice for his emotions had taken over for anybody plain to see. He took his daughter in his arms and looked down at her small, tiny, little face. She she opened her eyes and he saw that she had the same eyes as her mother.

Light brown hair that matched his were splayed in light patches across her tiny little head. A small tear began to form in the corner of his eye as he watched his daughter for the first time.

He looked down at his wife to find there had been a blanket tossed over her legs and she lay asleep exhausted from her exertions all night. The sun had just begun to rise and the roosters were crowing loud to let all know that a new morning had come and a new life had just been born.

Georgia lay there in the bed peacefully. Her dark hair was in a sweaty, tangled mess sticking to her forehead. Francis thought he couldn't have imagined her to look more beautiful.

He wasn't sure how long he stood there with their daughter or when he eventually ended up laying on the bed and falling asleep with them both, but sounds of children woke him from his slumber.

"Papa!" Oscar said running up to Francis tugging at his leg.

"Are you awake now, papa?" Earnest asked in all earnestness.

Luella sat on the chair with Earnest in her lap reading a book to him. He looked over next to him where Georgia had been previously sleeping to find she now sat up with their daughter suckling on her breast.

The color had returned to her cheeks and she even looked like she may have had a bath. Francis felt lost for a moment.

"How long was I asleep?" Francis asked his wife feeling silly.

Georgia smiled at him. "You missed dinner, and your daughter being officially named."

Luella smiled sweetly from the other side of the room before bringing little Earnest over to join them on the bed.

"Her name is Lillian Audley." Georgia told him meeting his eyes to see what he had thought.

"Lovely, Lillian." He told her with a proud smile. "It is the most beautiful of names."

They leaned in for a kiss and all the children became instantly grossed out causing Georgia and Francis to chuckle to themselves.

He leaned down and whispered in her ear so that the children would not hear them. "I'm ready to make another whenever you are, my love."

His devious smile reached his eyes and she leaned in once more for a kiss that would no doubt send the children flying out the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 91.9K 23
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...
510K 22.5K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
202K 9.3K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...
477K 22.2K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...