Bagsy Beetlehorn and the Infe...

By leollyen

Bagsy's third year of Hogwarts is set to be anything but peaceful. With quidditch matches, helping Mezrielda... More

The Report
The Goodest of Girls
A Supposed Kidnapping
Mandatory Inspection
A Speech of Trust
Tod's Favour
Explosions and Sneezes
Quidditch Try-Outs
The Warpdoor
Opius Pepsini
Owls Know Best
The Secret to the Missing Hufflepuff
New Partners
A Surprise Inspection
Boy Troubles
Weeping Weeds
Hogsmeade
Exhaustion
Five Days
Christmas at Hogwarts
The Sleepover
Tag
A Vow of Silence
Struggles of the Silent
The Full Moon
The Spell is Cast
The Young Villain
Forgiveness For Free
Abundant Energy
The Hairless Cat Of The Scaled Girl
The Equalizer
The Eavesdropper
Stress Relief
The Armchair Thief
A Terrible Accident
Hide and Seek
A Giant, Square, Squid
Infant Inferno
The Girl Without Magic
Trees With Arms
Looking Forward To A Gloomy Summer

The Animagus Plot

6 4 5
By leollyen

The first weekend before the start of term was always a mad one, but it was made only worse for the third years because they had to choose two new subjects for the year.

'Can you believe they used to make students chose in second year before they'd received their exam results?' Itsuki asked in disbelief, his mohawk lovingly restored by the dancing cacti as he spoke. 'Thank goodness for the scheduling. I'd have chosen Care of Magical Creatures if I hadn't of know the abysmal Defence Against the Dark Arts mark I was going to get.'

'What does that have to do with magical creatures?' Jon asked. He, Itsuki, Teresa and Neve were sitting around one of the coffee tables that dotted the cosy Hufflepuff common room.

Teresa scoffed.

'Here we go...' Jon groaned.

'Obviously,' Teresa began, 'the better you are at defending yourself from dangerous creatures the better you'll be at controlling them. It's not a one-to-one correlation, but if you can't protect yourself from a Hippogriff or a Jobberknoll you're better to stay far away from them and leave the zoo keeping to other spellcasters.'

'Too right,' Itsuki nodded, giving his head a shake and feeling his mohawk happily.

'And,' Teresa added, 'if you're not particularly good at duelling, you should leave other important battles relating to magical beings to others, too.'

Jon furrowed his brow in confusion. 'What's that supposed to mean?'

Teresa shrugged cryptically. 'Only that people who don't have the spine to do what needs to be done should step aside so others can.'

Jon and Itsuki shared a puzzled expression but neither they nor Neve pushed their questions any further.

Bagsy had left her room and seen the group of friends sitting and chatting. Now she stood awkwardly nearby, wondering if it was appropriate to join them. She didn't want to stay too long – she had yet to have breakfast and she wasn't too keen on being around so many people at once – but she did want to say hello to them given she hadn't seen them all summer. Neve pointed silently where Bagsy was standing and the other three turned towards her. Bagsy gulped and looked away self-consciously.

'Well, well, well,' Teresa tutted in amusement.

'It's the missing Hufflepuff,' Neve added in her small voice.

'Hi,' Bagsy murmured.

'Don't just stand there,' Teresa encouraged Bagsy, moving along the sofa to make room. 'Come sit.' Bagsy ducked her head gratefully and sat down next to Teresa, who continued ranting about how care for magical creatures was an underappreciated subject.

'Teresa, it's one of the most chosen electives,' Jon reminded her.

Teresa laughed mockingly. 'It should be mandatory!' Jon didn't look convinced. Bagsy wanted to ask what they were all choosing, but she couldn't seem to find a moment in the racing conversation. She managed to pick up which electives each was selecting as they passed around a scrap of paper with the subjects written on them.

'Care of Magical Creatures. Duh,' Teresa snickered, filling out a form on her lap. Neve gently poked Teresa's shoulder. 'Yeah?' Teresa asked kindly.

'Will you do a subject with me?' Neve asked.

'Aren't you doing Care of Magical Creatures?'

Neve shook her head, averting her eyes. 'The monsters are creepy... I think I'm better off in a safe, warm classroom.'

'They're not monsters, that's an unfair characterisation,' Teresa protested, before biting tip of her quill in thought, ink smudging on her lip. 'Okay, so what electives are you taking?'

'Muggle Studies and Study of Ancient runes,' Neve revealed with a small and excited smile.

Teresa deflated, letting out a long breath. 'Oh my god, that's so boring,' she muttered. Neve looked sadly down at her feet. 'Fine,' Teresa sighed. 'I'll take Muggle Studies. I hear the professor who teaches it is a laugh and that it's an easy pass. Plus, I'm muggle-born, so the homework should be a breeze.'

'Oh, thank you, Teresa!' Neve exclaimed happily.

Teresa couldn't help but smile. 'We share all our other subjects, you know?'

'I know...' Neve murmured.

'Done!' Itsuki chimed. 'Thaumathletics and Study of Ancient Runes!'

'You too?' Teresa wrinkled her nose. 'Study of Ancient Runes is so dull. You're both mad.'

'History is never dull,' Itsuki argued. 'Weren't you listening when Professor Binns explained about the war of the pointy hats? Or the great cheese wheel chase of 1662?'

'I was too busy trying not to fall asleep,' Teresa explained with a yawn. Neve and Jon couldn't help giggling. Bagsy found her sympathies lay with Teresa – History of Magic was very boring and Study of Ancient runes sounded even worse.

Itsuki pouted at them all.

'Thaumathletics sounds fun, though,' Teresa added hastily.

'It will be,' Itsuki affirmed, filling out his own form.

Jon nodded. 'Yeah. I'm taking it too.'

'Thaumathletics is basically P.E.,' Teresa reasoned. The others looked at Teresa quizzically. Bagsy had no clue what P.E. was. Teresa rolled her eyes. 'Maybe all of you should take Muggle Studies. P.E. stands for physical education. It's sport.'

'But how do muggles do sport without magic?' Jon tilted his head in confusion.

'They still have bodies, don't they?' Teresa snapped.

Jon held his hands up in surrender, leaving the topic there. 'Whatever. I'm also taking Divination. What about you, Bagsy? Or am I the only one here who fancies seeing into the future.' Jon wriggled his fingers mysteriously, making mad eyes at each of them.

After a short spurt of giggling the group went quiet and looked at Bagsy.

'Um...' Bagsy stuttered, looking down at her hands.

'I don't think she's decided yet,' Neve explained gently to the others. 'Here,' she added, handing Bagsy the scrap of paper with the electives. 'We've finished with the paper anyways.'

'Thanks,' Bagsy breathed gratefully, standing up. 'I think I'm going to head to breakfast and think it over.' With a final glance at the notice board, proclaiming the time of Quidditch try-outs that year, and that third years had until 10pm on Sunday to choose their electives, Bagsy swiftly left the Hufflepuff dormitory.

Mezrielda was brazenly sitting at the Hufflepuff table, glaring at the confused and indignant faces of the Hufflepuffs whilst she confidently snacked on the table's toast and jam. She hadn't even waited for Bagsy to arrive. Evidently, she was perfectly happy claiming a seat at the Hufflepuff table regardless of whether her Hufflepuff friend was present or not.

Bagsy sat down next to her, letting out a sigh of relief.

'Are you ready to talk?' Mezrielda asked, grabbing a plate on her other side for Bagsy to use and offering her some croissants, who gratefully took one.

'Yes please,' Bagsy said. 'I have no idea what electives I'm going to choose.'

Mezrielda let out a mirthful laugh. 'You've already forgotten, haven't you?'

Bagsy stilled and stared at Mezrielda blankly until her friend's remarks from yesterday came back to her. 'Oh right,' Bagsy breathed. 'Winifred and Robin are inferno, and the Ministry are after them, and what are we supposed to do?' she whispered in a horrified voice. 'We have to tell someone, Mezrielda! The Ministry said-'

'The Ministry are many things,' Mezrielda responded calmly, placing a hand on Bagsy's shoulder to relax her. 'Fair to non-standard spellcasters is not one of their characteristics.' Bagsy looked at her quizzically. 'Do I need to remind you how they treated my parents when they visited Vespite Manor over the summer?'

Bagsy blinked, thinking it over. They had been vile towards Mr and Mrs Glint. They were odd, sure, and they had weird eating habits and a pet gargoyle, but they'd been nothing but nice to her. They hadn't deserved the way the Ministry had treated them. 'You're right,' Bagsy agreed. 'The Ministry wasn't fair to your parents. But that doesn't mean they aren't being fair now. How do we know that inferno aren't dangerous? For all we know the Winifred and Robin from last year have been swapped out with some scary inferno doppelgangers.' Bagsy shivered at the name. Mezrielda couldn't hold back a look of fear on her face, either. 'What if we're helping dangerous creatures stay hidden? What if they hurt someone and we let it happen?'

'Doppelgangers are stories to scare children,' Mezrielda said after a pause, letting go of Bagsy's shoulder. 'And that is all what Mr Mortem said was; a story to scare children. Winifred and Robin just want to go to school, like everyone else, and to feel safe. If we report them who knows what will happen.' Bagsy nodded, worrying her lower lip. 'Seriously, Bagsy,' Mezrielda cautioned her. 'Do not tell Mr Mortem, or anyone, for that matter, what we know about Winifred and Robin.'

'The rest of the Eagle Club already knows,' Bagsy pointed out, and Mezrielda narrowed her eyes, a look of thought gracing her face.

'We'll have to hope they remain silent.'

Bagsy quietly agreed, before seeing the thoughtful expression on her friend's face deepen. 'What are you scheming?' she asked warily.

'I have a few things planned for this year,' Mezrielda muttered, glancing suspiciously around herself to ensure there were no eavesdroppers.

'Oh, goody,' Bagsy sighed sarcastically. 'Another wish making McGuffin, maybe?'

'Nothing like that.' Mezrielda shook her head. 'No. Last year I realised that I needed to gain social respect and acclaim from our peers.'

'You care about what other people think?'

'In so far as their opinions influence how I am treated. One day I will be Minister for Magic,' she explained confidently, as if it was a given. 'I will need people to respect me. It's pragmatism that drives my desire for social acclaim, not any childish desperation for approval.'

'Right...'

'As well as improving my social standing, I have also decided to re-attempt becoming an Animagus, as I told you over the summer. This year, I will succeed on both accounts.'

'Will you?'

'Yes. With your help.'

Bagsy took a bite of her croissant, eyeing Mezrielda suspiciously.

'Not with becoming popular,' Mezrielda elaborated, to Bagsy's relief, 'just the Animagus part. It's an incredibly complex and difficult process. You do remember our conversation about this, don't you?'

'Uh huh,' Bagsy hummed around her food. 'I'm not an idiot.'

'Not completely,' Mezrielda said, to a mock glare from Bagsy. 'Of course, I can tackle such a challenge myself, but with my other plot to become more favourable with the general student populous also needing my attention, I'll need an assistant. Someone who is proficient with brewing potions, and able to come up with creative solutions to difficult puzzles.'

Bagsy looked at Mezrielda with a smug expression. 'Keep going.'

Mezrielda glared at her, but Bagsy didn't budge, patiently waiting. A frown formed on Mezrielda's face, her jaw clenching as a sigh forced itself past her gritted teeth. 'Someone who is a master at the craft of the creation of potions, magical items, and other such inventions. A genius prodigy of artificing the likes of which we have never seen.' Each word seemed a challenge to her.

'No, no, no,' Bagsy tutted, though she felt both deeply flattered and amused. 'You know that's not what I'm looking for.'

Mezrielda hung her head and then, in a defeated voice, said, 'I need help because I can't do it on my own.'

'Ding, ding, ding!' Bagsy chimed happily, finishing her breakfast. 'Wonderful. But you do realise I already agreed? Or is it you that has the poor memory?' Mezrielda opened her mouth and then shut it, scowling darkly. Bagsy smirked victoriously at her. 'When do I start?'

Mezrielda looked back up. 'To become an Animagus, we'll need some guidance...' She fished a folded piece of frayed, stained paper from her robe pocket and carefully spread it out on the table. It looked as if it had been ripped from an old book. 'My parents were busy fixing the house and Spot was hiding from the Ministry, so I had a chance to sneak into the library unsupervised and steal this,' she explained. 'Now.' Mezrielda pointed to the top of the page, 'I will need one mandrake leaf, ideally two, one vial, a silver teaspoon, dew that has never seen sunlight and hasn't been touched by human feet for at least seven days, as well as the chrysalis of a death's-head hawk moth. I will also need to locate a quiet, dark place that I can guarantee won't be disturbed, a large and secure place for the transformation to take place and...' Mezrielda fiddled with the edge of the page, her voice falling to a barely audible murmur. 'I need you to create a device that can control the weather.'

'What!?' Bagsy exclaimed loudly. Hufflepuffs shot them surprised and annoyed looks. Bagsy ducked her head apologetically, a blush flourishing on her face. 'Mezrielda,' she hissed in a low voice, 'how on earth do you expect me to create a device to control the weather? That is so silly!'

'It's not silly!' Mezrielda retorted. 'You've created dozens of brooms from scratch, gloves that can absorb spells, bats that have a magnetic connection with a ball and a potion that can suppress the phoenix effect. Did I mention you concocted that last one on the fly in about five minutes on a moving train with stolen ingredients? I know you can do this.'

'I don't know...' Bagsy trailed off, looking at the paper. It listed many odd things, like keeping a mandrake leaf in your mouth from one full moon to the next, or chanting Amato Animo Animato Animagus every sunrise and sundown. 'Didn't you give yourself a permanent feather-cough last time you tried this? What if something worse happens?'

'Last time I didn't have your help,' Mezrielda reasoned. Bagsy furrowed her brow thoughtfully. Mezrielda folded the paper and put it back into her robes. 'Bagsy, if you don't want to do it, that's fine with me. I shan't force you to do something you don't wish to.'

Bagsy looked at her plate, her mind already racing with ideas. The list was long, but if she split it into manageable chunks it wouldn't be so hard. A dark, quiet place that has no chance of being disturbed. A mandrake leaf. A silver teaspoon. Dew that's never seen the sun or touched human feet. 'The kitchen will have the teaspoon,' Bagsy muttered, tilting her head to the side and looking at the ceiling. 'I'm sure I can find a Mandrake in the greenhouses somewhere. We had a few lessons on them last year so I know how to extract a leaf safely. I can find a dark, secluded spot to grow grass and get the dew that way... but, really, you've missed one crucial thing we need.' The ceiling above Bagsy's head was showing clear skies. Bagsy wondered if this was the third or second time in all of her years at Hogwarts that she'd actually looked up.

'What?'

Bagsy looked at Mezrielda, a fire lit in her eyes as the beginnings of an invention blueprinted itself in her mind. 'Something to let us sneak around Hogwarts undetected.'

'You already know what to make, don't you?'

Bagsy shrugged, not giving anything away beyond her smug expression. 'Oh, and one more thing,' Bagsy added. 'What electives are you taking?' 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4M 787K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
950K 16.3K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
249K 16.3K 80
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...