They Who Slaughtered Hope 🌈|...

By CrystalCallistral

|𝙵𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝟷𝟷𝚡| There's a war in London. No one knows how it started, but those caught in the fray... More

Introduction
Chapter 00
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Character Art

Chapter 11

152 27 86
By CrystalCallistral

┏━━━༻✿༺━━━┓

𝙻𝚎𝚗𝚗𝚘𝚡

┗━━━༻✿༺━━━┛

𝘚𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 20𝘵𝘩, 𝘍𝘳𝘪𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘔𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨

Lennox shifted around in a set of silk sheets, his mahogany king-sized bed creaking and groaning beneath his weight.

Consciousness began to poke at him, his dream ebbing away as his eyes fluttered open like a scene in a cliche movie. The blond blinked, once, twice, not recalling what caused him to sit awake in that bed. He felt confused. Wasn't he just... Wait. He couldn't recall where he had been yesterday. And the day before that was foggy at best.

Leaping out of bed, Lennox cast his sheets aside. He was wearing the clothes he used when going out on dealings. It meant he was brought here. But by whom?

Then he remembered his phone. Surely something on it could help him piece together what happened? Lennox surveyed his texts from the past two days, pacing around his room. There was indeed a conversation involving a T exchange, but nothing more. He pulled up the news feeds, a particular story catching his interest.

'Exhibitionists: Lovers Canoodle Above a Verita Aser Gathering'.

His father's name appeared in the article, and Lennox chose to read on.

'This bold pair was seen Tuesday night frolicking atop the glass roof of The Happenstance, where a party honouring Wade Carson as Commander of the 23rd regiment was being held. Spectators say that one of them was the Commander's son, Lennox Kendrick-Carson. It is hard to tell whether his partner was female or male, as the figure had dark hair with a hood obscuring their face. A security guard was able to see the couple—up close and personal—and was willing to be interviewed.

"'Aye, one of them was blond, with freckles and green eyes. I chased him up the roof, but the young 'un was faster than me. When I caught up, he was on top of this guy in his twenties. At least, I think he's a guy. I didn't have that good of a look. Whoever they were, I hope they're happy together, but they need to stop going on top of roofs. It's dangerous, especially in times like these. We don't want the next generation to be dead n' gone before they have a chance to live properly."

And Bob's your uncle! The son of a prominent Verita family, dragging their name through the muck. Not to mention, he hasn't been seen since that scandalous night. Did his lover kidnap him... or did something worse befall Mr. Kendrick-Carson? News Station 9 will keep you posted on this and every other piece of juicy war gossip in London!'

Lennox studied the picture that accompanied the article. It was definitely him, but why was he with this stranger? He wasn't in a relationship, so what was he doing on that rooftop? And it still didn't explain his whereabouts yesterday. He clearly hadn't been home. Perhaps Chase would have some answers for him. 

He trod up the stairs lightly but in vain. The skeleton stairs would make noise despite his every effort not to. His mother would give him hell if he woke her this early, though.

Lennox crept through the hallway on the second level, knocking at his brother's door. "Chase? You there?"

Silence.

Was he asleep? It was... He took out his phone. It was seven o'clock, and Chase was usually awake by then.

"Lennox? You're awake?" His mother's reedy voice startled him, her question followed by a tiny hiccup.

"Mum? Have you been drinking?" His mother didn't drink. Lennox considered his mother's makeup-streaked face. Her eyes were puffy, and her eyelashes were caked with tears. She had been crying, too.

He wondered if Father was to blame. Wade should have known by now the impact his words had on his wife. "What did he do this time?" Lennox asked, exasperated. He didn't think that he himself could be the root of the problem.

Emily fell into another bout of sobs. "Wade said that it was my fault that the article was ruining our reputation, and when you and your... partner came back here... he stomped off, saying that you were better off dead," she sniffled. "We all thought you were dead... and Wade, he wanted it to stay that way. He's going to file for divorce if I can't fix all this by the end of the month! That's in two weeks! I can't..." Another petite hiccup. "I can't provide for you and Chase if that happens."

"What article, Mum?"

His mother looked up. "You haven't seen it? It's about you and the person on our couch, and whatever in heaven's name you were doing on that roof."

Lennox's eyes narrowed, his brow shooting upwards. "There's a person on our couch? And you didn't bother to tell me?"

"Well, you were unconscious! What else was I supposed to do when some guy carried you home yesterday?" Emily demanded, her teardrops long gone. "You couldn't bother to tell your own mother you're gay, let alone when you have a boyfriend? You're even more secretive than I am, Lennox!"

His fists clenched at his sides, not even comprehending her words. "And with good reason! Do you know how unreliable you are? You're always clinging to Dad, or going out to parties, never sparing me or Chase a second glance!" Lennox slammed his hand on the nearby end table, jostling the vase set on top of it. "London's not like how it was twenty years ago! It's changed, and it's time for you to change along with it. You can't go gallivanting into the sunset without a care in the world anymore, Mum. You have children, and you owe it to Chase to stay alive. He... he graduates middle school this year, did you know?"

A hurt expression appeared on his mother's face. "No... I didn't. I'm not at home much, and Chase usually keeps to himself, so I never really kept track." She glanced at Lennox. "I'm sorry, my son. I know you think I haven't been that great of a mother to you or Chase, but I promise, I'm trying every day to give you two a better life. Far away from here. Away from me, if that's what you want. I just need more time," Emily pleaded.

"I'm not sure you have that luxury. You probably haven't noticed, but the flower shop can't sustain us anymore. Unless you have a magical plan to incur a steady income, I propose that you stop making empty promises and put in some damn work already," he snapped bitterly. His mother was shocked, and Lennox continued, "Sorry, Mum. Your apology isn't enough anymore. Put some action behind those words, and maybe—"

"Okay. I'll be better. Would you, uh, like some breakfast? Because try as you might to hide it, I know you can't cook." Her small smile turned sour. "Maybe it's the only thing I know about you."

He felt conflicted. He knew he shouldn't... but still, he felt sorry for her. After all, she had to deal with Father more than anyone else, didn't she? Lennox urged himself to stop. She was obviously guilt-tripping him, so why was it working?

He groaned inwardly. "Fine."

Lennox was infuriated with his mother—and himself. They were both strung together in a long chain of mental manipulation. Emily was still attached at the hip to Wade, and Lennox couldn't help but be swayed by his mother's tears and hollow words.

As he ambled into the kitchen, he gave his mother one last sideways glance. Her hair was in its usual bun, but there was a messiness to it that unsettled him. The same went for the rest of her ensemble—a grey shift dress and plush slippers. He thought about how hard the past few days must have been for his mother until his focus diverted to a mouthwatering aroma in the air.

Since when had Chase learned to cook eggs? He was sure the boy was as talentless as he was. He glimpsed upwards. The face he saw was not his brother, but a familiar stranger. A man with grey eyes that twinkled as he prepared a pan of scrambled eggs.

He had wild, short hair the colour of raven's wings, with Lennox's clothes wrapped around him as he turned to simper sweetly at him. "Lennox! You're finally awake! And your mother is here too! Sorry for helping myself to the kitchen, I'd figured I would whip up something since I didn't know when you folks normally wake up."

"It's quite all right, darling. We can't cook that well anyways, so I'm glad you won't go hungry on our account," Emily chimed in. She had taken a liking to the mysterious visitor, it seemed.

"It's a good thing I made extra, then. Would you like some?"

Lennox's mother nodded; however, the blond found his head shaking.

"Apologies, guy I don't know. I'm not comfortable taking food from strangers. Especially ones who appear in my house without any warning or premonition, stealing my clothes and acting like they've lived there for weeks." His lips thinned as he stared out at the newcomer. "Sorry, but I don't trust one bit of your sham. I was with you on a roof Tuesday night, and I want to know why. So, start talking."

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

𝐆𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐠𝐨 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫? 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 --->

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 8.9K 39
Riley Steele, an omega soldier, is ready to do whatever it takes to get accepted into a special unit in the army full of alphas, and the people stand...
39.5K 2.8K 62
Marrying a straight person isn't good at all. But falling in love with a straight person is it wrong? Having crush on him for several years is it a c...
625 48 12
One complicated relationship. Two converging timelines. Three beautiful women. What secrets will be revealed when they relay the tale that connects t...
1.4K 122 20
Magic, power, and blood. It's all about who you know. Thomas was raised to be a fighter. With no known magical power to speak of. He has had to push...