Behind His Mask

By iced_aa

You're a news reporter in Gotham when the Joker makes his debut. Willing to do anything it takes to jump star... More

His Debut
Scene of the Crime
Playing Detective
Chance Encounter
Exclusive Interview
On The Air
Interrogated
Uninvited Guest
Breakfast
Kingdom
Isolated
Party
Cheers
And Scene
Take Two
SOS
Home

Fallout

926 60 16
By iced_aa

I hadn't even heard the news anchors introduce me when I got the cue that I was now live.

Like a flip of a switch I slipped into my role as a reporter. My voice was steady and clear as I began the report.

"Greetings Gotham. I come to you with breaking news following the murder of Gotham's own mayor, Anthony Garcia." I read aloud as the teleprompter steadily scrolled before me. The tightness in my shoulders loosened and the stress over Jack, prison, my life as I know it melted away. When I was in front of the camera nothing else mattered.

"Eye witness reports have come flooding in from those in attendance. I come to you live to offer a first hand account of the tragedy as I, Y/F/N Y/L/N, was the last person to speak to the mayor alive." My eyes remained focused on the teleprompter but I saw the entire crew behind the camera stiffen from my peripheral vision. No doubt the entire city reflected the same response.

"I spoke with Mayor Garcia about the recent crimes against Gotham by the newly named 'Joker'. He voiced his confidence in our city to overcome this new foe." I recounted that terrible evening as I spoke. Anthony's face flashed before my eyes. Stop. Now wasn't the time to fall into those memories. I had a job to do and the hardest part was yet to come.

I saw the next lines scroll, but I couldn't read them as another memory forced its way to the surface.

———— Last Night ————

I opened the car door to exit and make my way up to my apartment. My arm was caught within the Joker's grasp. I turned around to meet his eyes.

"Now listen here, dearie." He licked his lips, smoothed his hair back, and scooted closer to me. He spoke with his hands as he continued. "They're going to want you to say things a certain way. I'm going to need you to... well...not do that." He snickered. I stared back at him with a confused look, not really sure what he was getting at.

"I'm saying that your little "news force" is going to want to keep you on a leash. I want you to uh... break it." He trailed his finger along my neck where a figurative collar would have laid. He smiled wickedly. My breath caught in my throat at his touch. He seemed to notice and giggled at my response.

"You'll be my good girl and tell them exactly this..." He stroked my hair and it took all my strength to not melt into his touch. I hated that he had this effect on me. I chalked it up to the praise and dismissed the thought once more.

———— Present ————

Jack's words from last night played back in my head. If I stuck to the news prompt in front of me I may have a chance of avoiding any consequences with Gotham PD. This report was safe, but it was also a half truth. The words praised the mayor and shown a bright light upon him in honor of his death. It rallied Gotham to stay strong, to stay together in the wake of this loss.

There was more to this story though and I never left out facts, regardless of the fallout. This story was no different. It just so happened this truth carried the weight of my entire future with it.

I now followed it blindly because this was bigger than me. The citizens deserved to know the truth. Even if that truth was painful and frightening. They had a right to know. And so I continued on.

My next lines were spoken quickly. I didn't know when they would cut me off. I had one chance with this.

"It seems his confidence was misplaced because the very man that he swore to take down was the very one to bring about his demise. That's correct. The Joker himself was behind this attack and the one responsible for Mayor Garcia's death. I met with the Joker himself last night and he had these words to say, 'You will not sleep. You will not rest. You will know no peace until this city is in ashes.' Haunting words indeed. Thank you. This is Y/F/N Y/L/N. Be safe Gotham."

I stared into the camera, surprised to see the red light still lit. I broke eye contact and looked at the crew behind the camera. They collectively snapped out of their apparent trance. The red light finally dimmed. I sighed heavily. It felt like I had just opened Pandora's box. So why was I feeling so elated? I had never felt so alive.

Did Gotham hear me? Were they listening? Was Jack listening? My body was abuzz with anticipation now that this was over.

The voices of the news anchors snapped me back to reality. I shook my head and walked off set and back to wardrobe.

"Y/N what the hell was that?!" I heard Gerry's voice shout from behind me. I spun around to see him stomping towards me. So the fallout begins.

"Gerry. I'm sorry. I can explain." I started before he cut me off with a raise of his hand.

"You're just full of explanations it seems. I wasn't going to pry about your grandmother. That was until I saw reports of you being at the Fireman's Ball. And I was even willing to let that go because of the buzz you had brought to our station... but this? This?!" Gerry threw his hands up in disbelief. I could see his side of things, sure. But when he saw the buzz that this segment would bring them? He would have a change of heart. For now I had to try to soothe his anger if I had any hopes of keeping this job.

"Gerry please. I'm sorry. The Joker. He made me say those things. I had to." A truthful explanation yes, but not the entirety of it. I omitted the fact that I did this all on my own accord. There was no gun against my head or threats upon my life. This was my choice.

Gerry's demeanor seemed to soften ever so slightly. He took a step closer to me and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Did- did he threaten you, Y/N?" He looked deep into my eyes. I knew I couldn't tell Gerry the truth. He wouldn't understand. He along with all the other people at this news station wouldn't understand that risk equaled reward. None of them were willing to go as far as I had. As far as I still was willing to go.

"I can't tell you anything. I'm sorry. I hope you'll understand." I looked pleadingly back into his eyes. I couldn't tell him but also I didn't want to. This was my story. I wasn't willing to share it or Jack with anyone else. He was mine.

Gerry placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder and nodded. "I don't know what mess you've gotten yourself mixed up in, but I hope to God you can get out of it." He gave me a weak smile to which I returned.

One of the directors burst into the wardrobe room where Gerry and I stood. "Gerry it's the police... again." The director shot me a look of disapproval. "They're downstairs in the lobby looking for Y/N."

Gerry shakily raked his fingers through his hair. He seemed to be more stressed than me. On that note why was I feeling so calm? Gotham PD was knocking on my door and here I was trying to calm my new boss instead of myself.

"It's fine. I'll head down to them now." I patted Gerry's back and offered him a few generic words of comfort. It'll be okay. Don't worry. Words I had told myself over and over just this morning.

Gerry didn't try to stop me as I left. In fact, he didn't say anything. I half expected him to fight me to stay hidden up here. I guess his concern only went so far when I repeatedly broke his rules.

I took the elevator to the lobby and exited to see a large police force loitering at the main entrance. "So many officers for little ole me?", I thought ruefully. I had a fleeting thought that that was something Jack would've said.

I made my way towards them. Like all the officers were on the same wavelength, their heads swiveled to look in my direction. Had someone actually radioed in my location?

Commissioner Gordon emerged from the crowd of officers. I stopped in my tracks as he and a handful of officers marched towards me.

"Y/F/N Y/LN, you're under arrest for aiding and abetting a criminal." Commissioner Gordon continued to read me the rest of my rights as an officer approached and placed me in handcuffs. Okay, I knew this was coming. Stay calm.

Hushed whispers were heard from onlookers in the lobby. I avoided their gazes and kept my eyes trained on the ground. I didn't need their judgement. I was escorted out of the building and into the back of an armored van-like vehicle parked oh so conveniently right outside the station. First the excessive amount of officers, now this? Had they mistaken me for the Joker himself? I couldn't wrap my head around the need for all this.

Gordon climbed into the back of the vehicle following me and took a seat directly across from me. He gave me a tight lipped look of disapproval. Honestly I couldn't care less what he thought of me.

"So we meet again, Y/N." Gordon commented matter of factly. I shrugged.

Now was probably one of those times where it'd be best to stay quiet. Anything I say can and will be used in court, or so they say. That is if I even stayed here long enough for that. Jack would surely come for me before then. Right?

"I'll cut you a deal right now. Full immunity. Just tell us where to find Joker." Gordon rested his elbows on his knees across from me, essentially crowding my already limited space between the two officers that sat on either side of me. I pressed my back firmly against the side of the vehicle to further distance myself from him.

As if I'd ever consider betraying Jack. That thought made me come to the sudden realization of where my loyalties lied. Was I loyal out of fear or was it more selfish than that? Yes, he was terrifying but deep down I believed he wouldn't hurt me.

At what point did my perception of him change? When he hatched the crazy scheme of us working together? One of those times where his touch lingered just a little longer than what could be considered a passing moment? Or was it that first day when he handed me my future on a golden platter when he spared me and gave me my first real news story? With him nothing was ever clear. There was no black and white when it came to him. He was painted with infinite hues of grey. It was always something new.

He made me feel alive.

I snapped back to reality as Gordon placed his hand reassuringly on my cuffed interlocked fingers.

"I'll take those cuffs off of you right this second, Y/N. Just give me something." He bargained with me. I pulled my hands from his grasp and he leaned back in his seat.

"Maybe Batman will be more persuasive. Can't say he'll be as patient as me though." Gordon all but smirked under his grey speckled mustache.

Shit. Jack where are you?

Author's Note:
As always thank you for reading! I've given this fan fic a much needed facelift for the book cover. See ya next chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

997 11 18
Joker - the most dangerous but genius villain in Gotham, finds another mob to rip off, but the leader catches him by surprise.
25.9K 554 17
She was the ruler of her own criminal empire, they called her Wildcard. After her biggest heist she gets ratted out and shipped to Gotham to be impri...
20.9K 729 11
This is a story about Jennifer Blue who falls in love with The Joker, a serial killer in Gotham, but her family tries to stop them from being togerhe...
212K 5.4K 40
You got fired from your job, assisted a bank robbery, and met the Joker all on the same day. Can you survive working for the Joker? Will having his t...