Across the Pond

By renrach

Nico Bradford is nothing like me. He's rich, popular, and gorgeous. He's also been my best friend and neighbo... More

CHARACTER MOOD BOARDS
PLAYLIST
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Bonus Chapter!
Bonus Chapter 2!
Bonus Chapter 3!
Bonus Chapter 4!
Bonus Chapter 5!
Bonus Chapter 6!
Bonus Chapter 7!
More Mood Boards!
Sequel Update!
Under the Stars: Sneak Peek Chapter

Chapter 1

24.8K 408 133
By renrach

I didn't sleep a wink last night. I tried, don't get me wrong, I tried. I even resorted to counting sheep, but by the 100th sheep, I was over it; I had accepted the fact that I was going to look like a zombie the next morning. 

That wasn't the goal though. The goal was to look perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, because I'm well aware of the fact that perfection doesn't exist, but as close to perfect as possible. Because today was the day.

I push the covers off my body, hop over my bed, and pull the baby blue curtains to the sides. Even though there's plenty of time to get ready, I find myself running to the bathroom. I guess you could say that I'm excited. I go through the steps of my morning routine: brush my teeth, wash my face, moisturize my skin, and pull my long brown hair into a pony.

I make it back to my room and glance over the articles of clothing that lay flat on the ottoman. Even though I picked my clothes out last night, I find myself contemplating the white shorts, basic tank, and high-top white Converses that I set aside. Like I said, I have to look as close to perfect as possible, and I'm not sure that showing up to Wilmington in my standard outfit is going to cut it.

"Bella, almost ready?" mom calls from downstairs. I glance at the clock on my wooden nightstand. 8:29 AM. Why am I not surprised? The woman is always on time...if not early. "Better three hours too soon than a minute too late," is her go-to quote. Thank you, Shakespeare, for that.

"Just a minute," I say, loud enough so that she can hear me. I check myself in the glass vanity and try to decide whether or not my olive skin tone needs a touch of makeup. Now normally, I'm not a fan of the whole blush, lipstick, mascara thing, but like I keep saying...close to perfect as possible.

I end up keeping my look as is. I'm not going to change who I am and what I like for someone else. Even if that someone else isn't just someone else. Who am I kidding? Nico Bradford is everything. My first friend, first crush, first...love. Though, he's unaware of the last two. My best friend Remi, who I met at summer camp when I was 6, bugs me that I make my infatuation obvious, but if you ask me, I think I play it cool.

You see, playing it cool has become the norm to me. When you spend 9 years of your life crushing on the same guy, you know what to expect. You're used to the nervousness he makes you feel the second that he enters the room, you're used to the tongue-tied words that come out of your mouth when he says "hi, how are you?", and you're definitely used to the annoying fact that you've probably just met the love of your life even though he doesn't know it or feel it.

Nico and Remi are both from Wilmington, North Carolina, which is where mom and I have spent every summer since my parents got divorced. It's where mom's family resides. At the time, mom needed her mom, so we invited ourselves to crash at Grandma Ruby's ranch for two months. My Grandpa Will died before I was born, so Grandma Ruby loved having the company. 10 years later and we're still carrying on the tradition.

I'm not complaining. I love Wilmington and everything that it represents. I love the quaint vibe, the beaches, the local restaurants. But most importantly, I love seeing Nico.

The first day that I met him happened to be the first time that I fell in love. I know, I know...that's dramatic of me to say considering I was only 7 years-old, but it's the truth, and I remember the day perfectly. I was hosting a lemonade stand outside of Grandma Ruby's house with Remi.

Bella, Age 7 / Nico, Age 9

"Bella, can we please go inside?" Remi whines. "It's so hot out and I'm getting mosquito bites everywhere."

"No, Rem. We haven't sold one cup of lemonade yet."

"But we've been standing in the same place for almost two hours now. How much longer do we have to wait for someone to show?"

"Let's give it 5 more minutes. Then we can go back inside."

"5 more minutes?! Nuh-uh, I'm going back inside now. Sorry, Bella, but it's just too hot."

I don't stop Remi because I don't blame her. I'm ready to call it a day myself when, suddenly, a silver Bentley pulls up to the curb. The driver - a regal-looking lady - rolls down the passenger window, as well as the one in the back.

"Hi, sweetie," she greets me. "Is there any more lemonade left?"

Too much, I want to tell her, but I just nod excitedly instead. She's our first customer of the day and I'm not going to ruin that.

"Great," she says before turning her head towards the backseat. That's when I first lay eyes on him.

My gaze follows hers and I find myself looking at the cutest boy that I've ever seen. He has piercing emerald eyes and light brown hair. There's another boy sitting to his left, but I barely pay him any attention.

"Nico, Brooks, how about a cup of lemonade?" she asks them. I don't know which one is Nico and which one is Brooks until the one to the left of the cute boy speaks up first.

"I hate lemonade," he states with an annoyed look on his face.

"Okay," the woman says before shifting her glance to the boy with the emerald eyes. "Nico, honey, how about you?"

I notice Nico staring at me in the same manner that I'm staring at him - with intrigue. You know that feeling when you walk into your first day of school and you spot your new crush sitting at his desk? That's what I'm feeling. That's how I'm looking at Nico.

"Mommy, can I have two cups of lemonade?" Nico asks.

"Two cups?" the woman shrieks. "Two cups is too much sugar, Nico, darling. Why don't you start with one?"

"They're not both for me, mommy," he assures her, and the lady looks on confused.

"But your friend Brooks doesn't like lemonade," she reminds her son.

"It's not for Brooks, either." He turns to face me and I suddenly feel nervous. "It's for her."

"Ew!" Brooks shouts. "She's a girl. And girls have cooties."

Nico smiles. "But she's pretty."

"Okay," the lady says, letting out a deep breath and looking at me. "Sweetie, we'll take two cups."

I walk back to the table and pour the lemonade into two plastic cups. I keep mine on the table and then walk over to Nico to give him his. He reaches his hand out the window, taking it from my grip with a smile on his face.

"Thanks," he says, "but where's yours?"

I nod my head at the table. "Over there."

"Want to go get it? That way we can try it at the same time." I don't know why the harmless question leaves me speechless, so I shake my head yes repeatedly. "Okay," he chuckles endearingly. "I'll wait for you." I walk back to the table where my cup sits, then back to the car. "On three," he says. "One, two...three." We take a sip at the same time and keep our gazes on each other as we lower the cups down.

"This is really good," Nico says.

"Thanks," I smile.

"Here you go, sweetie," the woman interrupts, breaking me out of my lust-filled daze. She hands me a $20 bill, and I immediately wonder if she saw the sign on the table that reads, '50 cents a cup!'

"I'm sorry, Miss, but I don't have any change," I admit, embarrassingly looking down at the floor.

"It's okay," she smiles at me and says. "I didn't want any."

"Mommy, can she come play with us?" Nico asks, but the lady pouts.

"Oh, Nico, I'd have to check with her mother first."

"She's inside," I quickly chime in as I point my thumb towards the door. "I can go get her."

"Okay," the lady says, but hesitantly.

I quickly grab my mom and she follows me outside. After conversing with the woman for 15 minutes - and discovering that they live across the small pond from Grandma Ruby's ranch - mom thankfully agrees to let me go.

I give mom a hug, and Mrs. Bradford unlocks the doors.

"I'll pick you up in 2 hours," mom tells me as I wave goodbye from inside the luxurious car.

There's more than enough room in the backseat for the three of us, but I find myself gravitating towards Nico. I've never felt this nervous before; the good kind of nervous. The kind of nervous that makes you feel excited...alive.

"What's your name?" Nico turns his body and asks me.

"Isabella," I tell him. "Isabella Cooper."

"I'm happy we met, Isabella. This summer is going to be fun."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31 0 7
My dream didn't exist till I was fourteen where I had been through something no one should ever have to go through, something traumatic. But I've gro...
1.3K 17 33
I'm just your average nerdy 17 year old girl, Jordan Peace. Well not really.. I have to go home everyday to a drunk man you'd call my father. He beat...
116 0 27
It's your typical love story, except it's not. She fell in love hard and fast, he fell in love too fast. My best friend, my partner in crime, my comp...
267K 8.9K 35
Life is bound to happen. Vienna Conley learned this at a young age when she experienced a tragic accident. It's why she chooses to live each day to t...