Love Punched | COMPLETED

By SkylerChase29

❝ I'm as much a bad-boy as you're an average girl. So I suppose that answers both our questions. ❞ •♤• Lila S... More

IᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴT
Aesthetics
Dedication
01. Oblivious
02. They bet?
03. A Nuisance
04. Sly Intentions
05. Universal Signs
06. Annoying Guys
07. Tricked
08. Black & Blue
09. Deep Talks
10. Friday Fights
11. Holy Turn On
12. A Brilliant Idea
13. Messed Up
14. Everyone Has Secrets
15. Irony At Its Finest
16. Jalapeños
17. Damning Conscience
18. Confrontations
19. Unwanted Changes
20. Body Building
21. Convincing
22. Sad Anniversary
23. Downhill
24. Slip Of Control
25. Backstory
26. Complexity
27. Changing Perceptions
28. Backstage
29. Not Ready Yet
31. Smitten
32. Burning Up
33. Knowing Lila
34. Knowing Derek
35. Interested?
36. Talk It Out
37. Connections
38. What Happened?
39. Get It Over With
40. Strained
41. One Chance
42. Wildcat Vs Wolf
43. Birthday Girl
44. Tell Me
45. High On Emotions
46. Kiss It Better
47. Fall Prey
48. Warning Bells
49. Bittersweet
50. Be Mine, Kitkat
Epilogue

30. Birthday Boy

3.6K 206 66
By SkylerChase29

(Derek's P.O.V)

Before I knew it, next month greeted us and it was my special day.

Or so my new friends said.

"You're 18 now. Buy us booze."

Nora shook her head disapprovingly at War's comment and Michael rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes straying to hers.

They sure had come a long way.

I snickered. "Sure."

It was Sunday, so everyone who mattered had decided to arrive unannounced at my house.

Rebecca chuckled and nudged me with her shoulder, "I'm just here for the cake."

War shrugged. "Point."

I didn't miss how his eyes took note of my house and especially the absence of a certain mahogany haired girl.

Like me.

My father came out of the bedroom and smiled wide. "You all must be Derek's friends. Glad to finally meet all of you."

While the introduction happened, my eyes met my Mother's from across the room and I looked away, pained. She'd opened the door but I hadn't let her talk to my friends.

It was evening and War, Michael  Rebecca and 'James' had decided to surprise me.

Once my Dad was satisfied, he left us to ourselves and I decided to head out to the courtyard.

Okay, so maybe that had something to do with Kitkat being my neighbor but....

"Let's go out for a bit." I sighed heavily. "My Mom ordered the cake so it should be here in an hour or two."

"Cool." Michael grinned and I was elated that Nora and he had made paramount progress since Michael's father was put behind bars.

"We brought a cake too, let's keep in the refrigerator." With Rebecca's hands full, we made quick work of putting the chocolate cake away for now.

As we exited, my phone buzzed in my pocket and even though I had an inkling who was bothering me, I was also hoping that it was Kitkat's message.

It wasn't that she didn't wish me or something.

She did.

Kitkat had texted me a simple 'Happy Birthday' in the morning and thrown fifty dollars into my room with a note scrawled along saying: money is best.

It was....

Okay, it was disappointing.

There you go.

I was excepting something solid.

I mean birthdays never mattered so much to me anyways but somehow, if she showed she cared.....

I felt like I'd really appreciate it.

Denial is a boat I love sailing in if you haven't figured that out yet.

I checked my phone and grit my teeth.

Me: Thank you.

There was no way I'd give a response more expressive than that to Ana's wishes on my birthday.

The lighter she'd given me as my 16th birthday present burned a hole in my pocket but I couldn't bear to part with it.

Objects carry memories.

And sometimes we want to keep the memories at least if we can't keep the people.

"Are you alright?" The blonde touched my shoulder gently and I gave her a grin, pocketing my phone.

"Never been better." But my words lacked and she could tell.

It wasn't as much because of Ana's messages but that I still couldn't get the thought of Rebecca's letters to Lila out of my head.

Besides, suspicious things kept happening in Ladenhill.

Just two weeks back, a detective and an inspector at the local police department had been taken in by the FBI. Although not much was disclosed like it had been during Mr Serdano's arrest, it didn't take a genius to figure out that the unrest in the town wasn't going to end. It was only going to amp up now and the reason had something to do with Kitkat's best friend and her suspicious 'death'.

Like a domino effect, one thing led to another and I couldn't wait to see where the end was.

I hadn't confronted either girls and it didn't seem like they had any secrets or animosity amongst themselves.

Yet, I knew that there was a connection.

The easy comfort I felt in Rebecca's presence had only decreased a little bit. It was a testament to her temperament and personality that I still couldn't ignore her.

In fact, I was convinced that these actions weren't of her own will. Her parents might be involved.

Like Michael's Dad was.

I didn't let myself ponder over the fact that I honestly didn't want this to be Rebecca's doings. I wanted her to not be involved in anything shady but the chances were slim.

"Come on, we gotta have fun. Let's just go to the Arcade!" The chestnut haired guy slung his arm over my neck and I chuckled, feeling better already.

"Let's go then."

•♤•

2 hours later, we were all grinning from ear to ear as we reached my house.

We'd had tons of fun and dare I say, it was one of the best birthdays I'd had.

Not if only Kitkat had also been there....

No, Derek. Don't think about her.

I shook my head and appreciated the blending oranges in the sky. A light pink dusting of clouds floated above us and I smiled.

"Thanks, guys. It was fun."

Nora smiled, "You missed Lila though, right?"

I gave her an incredulous look as I fiddled with the key, opening the door to my house.

I glanced at Warren and Rebecca from the corner of my eyes, sensing the shift in mood and cursed internally.

But before I could respond to Nora's out of the blue declaration, my sister's scream turned me deaf.

"Happy birthday, kiddo!"

Desiree squeezed me to her chest and I groaned but hugged her back, not having taken even one foot into the house.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her once she let go of me and messed with my hair.

"I took a leave, of course." She sounded affronted.

I felt my lips tip up.

"It was my favorite brother's 18th birthday after all."

I rolled my eyes, "Your only brother, you mean."

She shrugged and looked behind me, spotting my friends.

"Ooooh, New friends."

I cringed. "How do you have so much energy? When even did you reach?"

She grinned, pushing past me and I sighed as she looked at Nora and Rebecca.

"You're nice and taken. Makes sense." She shook hands with the short blonde bombshell with glasses, "I'm his sister. Desiree."

Then she switched to Rebecca, "Ooh, you're a hottie. I like you."

Rebecca rose a brow. "Okay? Thank you." She looked a little uncomfortable so I grabbed Desi and dragged her over to me.

"Could you answer me now and stop eye fucking Warren?"

"But the other one's taken so what should I do?" She pouted and I sighed in exasperation.

Michael blushed and Nora bit her lip. Their reactions made me snicker and Warren tilted his head at Desi, looking all good and handsome.

"You're never happening. Stop seducing my dumb sister." I directed the words towards Warren and everyone burst out laughing.

I shivered to even think about them together.

"Nah, he's not my type. Plus I got a boyfriend, baby Derek."

I threw the keys onto the dining table, knowing Dad was out at some client meeting and Mom probably sensed my reluctance to still spend time with her.

"I pity him."

She glared at me and cuffed me in the head.

I shrugged unapologetically, rubbing the back of my head.

Once I was done pouring out the juice, I took the trey and headed to the living room where everyone was once more seated.

"God, you seem mature already." Desi wiped fake tears from her eyes.

"And you're not mature at all for a 20-year old."

I plopped down on the sofa next to Warren who was still assessing my sister by the way.

I kicked him in the leg and he shot me a sheepish smile.

Desiree mused, "I brought the cake, by the way. And aren't I simply the best gift ever?"

I narrowed my eyes, about to say no but then everyone stared at me—

"Do you guys like her?" I asked, baffled.

They all nodded like those bobbing toys you put in the car.

I squinted my eyes at them before grunting, "Sure, yes Desiree, you're the most annoying gift I could've asked for."

She pinched my arm as she flitted about and I cursed.

But it was true that I was happy she was here. My sister was far too important to me.

"God, it's been a while since we celebrated someone's birthday like this." Nora's smile was tinged with sadness.

"I know, right?" Rebecca topped back her glass. "Ladenhill is such a busy town."

A satirical laugh escaped Warren and Michael sighed heavily.

It was in that moment when I realized that all of them had been through suffering in their own ways. I think up until now I judged them on different scales but thing was that they were all grieving about something or the other.

Before I could comment though, the door clicked opened and Mom walked in with....

A politely smiling Lila Smith.

My heart skipped a beat as I noted her outfit. Unlike usual, her hair was left open and it suited her a lot, long tresses flowing down till her waist.

She'd donned a pair of black capris that hugged her shapely legs—

Wow.

With a black tank top and a light pink shirt over it, she completed her effortlessly beautiful look.

My assumptious self wanted to believe that she'd shed her baggy clothes and come here in these attractive ones because it was my birthday. That she wanted to set it apart from other days.

Now if only that would be the truth as well.

A frown creased my brows though, wondering why my Mom was with her.

"Mom! Lila!" Desiree hugged each of them and I gradually stood up. The rest of our friends remained seated though and for the first time that day, Kitkat's eyes met mine.

Teasing, metallic grey orbs seared themselves into my memory.

She waved and I kept staring until an elbow nudged me, "Don't stare like a fool!" Nora hissed.

That broke me out of the stupor and I waved back lightly as if she hadn't just ceased all functioning of my brain simply by wearing a different set of clothes.

Thanks, Nora.

"I'll be back in a bit, guys." I addressed my friends and looked around wherein everyone nodded understandingly.

Rebecca smiled even though when her eyes landed on Lila, it dimmed. I returned her smile, trying not to think of my discovery about her involvement in the letter-sending the other day.

I headed to the kitchen where Desi was talking to Lila and Mom.

My mother smiled as she laughed at something they said and an ache spread in my chest.

I still felt darn uncomfortable being around her, always waiting for the moment she'd pull the rug from right under our feet and come clean to Desi and Dad.

Mom spotted me and her smile diminished.

A bout of guilt hit me but I convinced myself that it was good she felt uncomfortable too. That I was probably a walking reminder of her mistake.

And yet some visceral part of me just wanted to erase my memory so I could go back to the days where I had my Mom bake me cakes and talk about random things that happened in our days. But it was too late and the damage was done.

When I focused back on the present, Mom gave me a tight smile, "Happy Birthday, Derek. Have fun." And then she slipped out of the kitchen and retired upstairs to her room.

Desiree was right behind her and she came up to me, "When are you going to fix things with Mom?" She asked in a low tone.

I looked into Kitkat's eyes, she'd been a witness to the whole exchange and she knew the truth about Mom cheating.

"Probably never." I replied tightly.

I suddenly felt too exposed, like all my insecurities and problems were bared to her whileas I knew basically next to nothing about her. In fact I knew even little than the townspeople here did about the younger Smith sister.

I was still in the dark about her but she knew so many of my secrets.

For a second I wondered how I could've told her so many of my emotional secrets without much hesitance.

Lila Smith wasn't exactly the kind of a person you'd go to for sharing your problems or your worries and thoughts. But I'd gone ahead and done all these unconventional things.

Desiree frowned and her worry was rightly placed because she didn't know anything.

"What's the reason? You've never told me why things went so sour between you two." She accused and I sensed that she felt hurt as her eyes darkened.

Uncomfortable, I blurted, "Lila does."

"What?" Desiree asked surprised.

I cursed mentally for saying it but now there was no going back.

"Kitkat knows why I don't get along with Mom."

The easy cadence I said the words in didn't match the tightening of my muscles. I looked away from her and a moment of utter silence passed before she spoke up.

"You...willingly told her?" Perplexed, my sister tilted her head to assess me with an unfamiliar glint in her eyes.

I shrugged as if it was no big deal even as my heart skidded in my chest and I again noticed Lila as she turned away at the other end of the kitchen to take some water.

Desiree's smile was strained, "I'm glad you told someone at least." Then she paused. "Will you tell me too someday?"

I looked into my sister's eyes and smiled at her, "I love you, Desi. That's why I can't tell you so easily."

Her retort was instant. "But your love for Lila is different and so you could confide in her?" She rose a brow teasingly.

I think blood rushed to my cheeks in an act that's dubbed as 'blushing.'

And I hated the heat in my neck.

"No." I hissed at her, "Now go away."

She smirked and I appreciated the topic change but also not.

"Right, I'll give you two some alone time." With a conspicuous chuckle, she too exited and then it was just Kitkat and Me.

I exhaled heavily and turned around to see Kitkat observing me as she leaned against the kitchen counter.

For a moment, I had a vision.

A vision where we were in a house and I'd wake up or come home to this view, with her in the kitchen, under the same roof as me and she'd greet me happily with a kiss--

"Hey, Birthday Boy." Kitkat's remark brought me back to the turbulent present but I didn't really mind it as long as she was in front of me.

"Hey, neighbor." I smirked, walking closer and she eyed my steps but made no move to get away from the kitchen counter she was leaning against.

"Why are you here now?" I leaned closer, hands in my pockets as I observed the black ring surrounding her grey orbs. 

Kitkat simply shrugged, a taunting tilt to her lips. "Am I not allowed?"

Her snark was my favorite. But I was also curious. "I don't know. I thought I wouldn't see you today considering the message in the morning." So, I may have been a little bitter over that fact. "Oh, and the fifty-dollars." 

I pursed my lips, rose a mocking brow and took out the fifty dollars she'd thrown into my room out of my pocket to wave in front of her.

She rolled her eyes, murmuring, "Once a Looney Tunes, always a Looney Tunes."

I chuckled and watched delighted as her eyes snapped to mine, a grumble escaping her lips. Like I was such a huge nuisance.

"I was busy."

"With what?" I stepped closer, the distance between us like a string pulled taunt, I towered over her and she raised her chin to meet my eyes.

"I had things to attend to." Vague answers escaped her sinful lips to sting me.

"Oh?" I asked as my eyes dipped to her lips. 

The corner of her left lip was cut but it only made me feel a sense of camaraderie. Of commonality. Her pink lips were still full and pretty and tempting me to kiss them swollen. 

"Eyes on me, Birthday Boy."

My eyes snapped up to meet hers, "My eyes are always on you. Specify which part of you, Kitkat." I grinned at her, aware my dimple would show and she was a sucker for my dimple. I observed her and it wasn't hard to notice it after spending four months with her.

She liked my dimple and she liked my tattoos if nothing else. And I wasn't beneath using all the tricks in my handbook to make her feel something for me.

"I'd prefer to not be eye-fucked and have you killed on the very day you were born, Derek." She replied, her eyes burning with an intensity that matched the seductive tone her words had escaped her in.

I grinned in response, "Death by your hands might be fun though. Would you straddle me or tie me up?" I arched a flirtatious brow.

"I'm not averse to trying some knife play either." I added as if I'd been considering it.

Kitkat shot me a glare and an exasperated look before she evenly tossed out her next words.

"I'm afraid you'll tire too quickly. I'm a woman with many needs..." Her eyes darkened and a sordid smile tipped one side of her lips , "And many secrets."

"Good thing I plan on learning every last one of them then." My voice came out deeper than I'd expected but the husky tone had a desired effect as Lila took in a deep breath.

"You're playing with fire."

I flashed her a toothy grin, "I too am a man of many talents...." Then wrapped my finger around her strand of hair, staring at it before meeting her grey orbs, inhaling her sweet scent and feeling the warmth of her body.

"And playing with fire is one of them."

•♤•

A/N

What do you guys think about the new friend group and how his birthday was spent? Desi's visit and Derek's actions?
What do you guys think of the tense scenes and dialogues between Lila and Derek?? Is there any chemistry between them?

I'd love some feedback.

Any theories on what the gift Lila will give him could be? I'm excited for the next chapter and hope so are you!

Thank you so much reading and voting and commenting, hope you'll still do the same! I appreciate my readers and will look forward to your opinions!

Till next time then!

~Skyelr

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 1.6K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
660K 15K 68
"You have no idea how badly I need to kiss you," he says softly, his gray eyes glancing between mine, then down at my lips. I let out a shaky breath...
31.4K 591 37
Allie was your Grade A typical Tom-boy who hid her crush on her neighbor, best friend, and mostly hero Michael James. He was a mama's boy through an...
3.3M 122K 68
🥇 Highest Rankings: #1 Action #1 Chicklit #1 Mystery #1 Teen Fiction #1 Thriller 2018 Watty's Long List 🥀 Trigger Warning/Sexual Assault ⚠️Mature...