Trust In Me (Triplets book 2)

By Sarahbeth552002

#1 in Chicklit One day, in the elevator at work, Shayne Richards saw him. He was handsome and quiet, and he d... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28 (The End)
Next to Me (Triplets book 3)

Chapter 25

9.2K 761 50
By Sarahbeth552002

Nate wasn't back in a few days. It was over a week, and when he returned, it was the same day as the premiere of Sullivan's new movie. Nate had offered to tell Danica that he couldn't go with her, stating that the only reason he had agreed to go in the first place was as a cover to hide his attraction to Shay.

Shay was so incensed that he had only mentioned attraction and not feelings or love that she had told him to go right ahead and take Danica to the premiere. It would serve him right to spend the night in her company, and Shay would be there to keep an eye on him anyway.

Shay had offered to take LouLou instead, and she had been thrilled.

Shay arrived with a car to pick LouLou up, and the entire building was on the front steps to see her off. LouLou had her hair done and bought a new dress for the occasion, it was white with big purple flowers on it, and she was glowing from all the excitement.

The chauffeur opened the door for LouLou, and she slid into the seat across from Shay as if she was to the manor born, but as soon as the door closed, she gave a little squeal. "Am I really going to get to meet your mother!"

"Yes, and my father and brothers. I know that they are going to love you." And they would. Shay didn't doubt it.

It took a little longer to get to the bookstore where the premier was being held because of traffic, and Shay took the time to fill LouLou in on the back history of the movie.

"My brother, Sulivan, and Ophelia fell in love while making the movie. They're engaged to be married in the fall." Shay gave a brave smile as she told the story. She wished her life would work out as well as theirs had but seeing as she and Nate couldn't even find the time to go on a date, she had her doubts that it would ever happen.

"Wasn't there some drama over Ophelia and your father and brothers? Didn't they report that she was dating all of them?" LouLou played with the strap on her purse.

"No, that was made up by an angry actress. Sullivan and Ophelia have only had eyes for each other. We all knew it before they did, but they're both so hard-headed that it took them time to admit how they felt. Now that they have, they're always lovey-dovey." Shay swallowed her jealously like she always did when she thought of Sully and Phee.

"That's so romantic!" LouLou sighed. "Love is for the young."

"Don't tell my parents that," Shay gave an honest smile.

"Are they still madly in love?" LouLou leaned forward.

"Madly, I hope I'm half as lucky as they are."

"I have a feeling you and Nate will be." LouLou patted her hand and then leaned back in her seat. Her words caused butterflies in Shay's tummy.

They were silent until they arrived at their destination, and when they stepped out of the car, flashbulbs went off while questions were shouted. LouLou preened as they walked up the stairs and into the building.

"Do you think I'll be in the paper?" LouLou asked as they entered the building.

"Maybe," Shay nodded as she scanned the room for Nate, finding her mother instead. "Follow me, LouLou. I have found my mother." LouLou started to blush as Shay took her by the hand and led her to where her mother was holding court near the stage that had been set up for the occasion.

The bookstore was in a four-story building. The store and coffee shop were on the basement level. There was a large gallery on the ground level and living space on the second and third stories. It was a massive building that smelled of coffee.

Shay led LouLou toward her mother, who stopped what she was saying to Ophelia and turned to LouLou as if she had been waiting to meet her forever. Shay had told Reyna that she would be bringing one of her biggest fans, so she was prepared.

"Momma, this is my friend, LouLou. LouLou, this is my mother, Reyna Richards." Shay gave the suddenly shy LouLou a push forward.

"LouLou, I have heard so much about you, and I'm honored to meet one of my daughter's friends. I hope we'll be friends as well." Reyna took LouLou's hands in her own as she led her off to the side where they could talk.

"That's the fun part about working for Reyna," Phee smiled as they watched the women enter into an animated discussion a few feet away.

"Momma has always been classy," Shay smiled as she scanned the room once more and hit pay dirt as her eyes landed on Nate. He looked good in his tux. He would have looked perfect if it weren't for the woman hanging on to his arm.

"That's Nathan Wright, isn't it?" Phee asked, watching Shay's eyes devour him.

"Yes." Shay nodded as Nate found her across the room and took in every inch of her appearance. Shay had splurged on her dress, and she knew she looked good in the peacock blue silk. It was backless with a draped neckline and a long skirt with a high slit. Her heels caused her to tower over most people in the room, including Phee.

"Well, that answers that question," Phee said to herself as she watched their interaction.

"What question?" Shay asked as she watched Nate drag Danica across the room toward her.

"If it's serious between you two." Phee sounded amused.

"What's she doing here?" Danica hissed as they reached Shay and Phee.

"Nathan Wright, this is Ophelia Carter. Phee, this is Nate," Shay introduced, watching as the two shook hands. She ignored Danica outright.

Sullivan appeared next to them, eyed Nate, then gave him a nod before he whispered something in Phee's ear.

"Would you both excuse us, please?" Phee asked as she grabbed Shay by the hand and pulled her toward the stage. "It's work time."

Shay was suddenly on stage, standing next to Sawyer, who looked upset, so she automatically thrust her arm through his in a silent offer of support as her parents stepped up behind them.

"Is it your girl?" Shay whispered.

Sawyer sighed and gave her a half-hearted smile. "I don't even have it in me to tease you about your Nate bringing another date to the party. It's downright depressing that I'm gonna let that one slip through my hands."

Shay stepped on his foot. "But somehow, you still managed to get it done," she hissed.

Sawyer looked down at her and grinned. "I did, didn't I?"

Sullivan stepped up to the microphone and gave a brief speech about the movie and the support of his family, and while he was droning on, Shay let her eyes scan the crowd until she found Nate steadily watching her and Danica frowning as the realization of where she knew Shay from finally hit.

"It looks like your Nate's girlfriend is mad at you," Sawyer sympathized. "Of course, you do look stunning, so there's no doubt as to why."

"Was that a compliment?" Shay turned wide eyes to her bother.

"Was it?" he sounded surprised too, and Shay rolled her eyes in response.

Sullivan talked a little longer before telling everyone that the film would begin in fifteen minutes after family photos had been taken. And indeed, the next fifteen minutes were filled with the Richards posing in different groups for the camera. Shay posed with the entire family, with only her brothers, and with only her and her parents. The list went on and on.

As they were dismissed from the stage and the lights blinked while everyone found their seats, Shay scanned the room once more, locating Nate in a chair on the far end with Danica on one side and LouLou on the other.

Shay watched Nate talk in earnest to LouLou, laughing at something she said.

When the lights went out and the movie started, the image on the screen caught Shay off guard. Sullivan had founded his own film production company, and he had named it Polly Works. The image on the screen was of Phee and their dog, Polly, sitting on a large piece of driftwood on an abandoned beach with the sun rising in front of them. Phee had her arm around Polly and the two looked content and peaceful. The image made Shay tear up.

Sullivan loved Phee so much and it oozed from the photograph.

Shay waited for a moment longer as the opening credits on the movie started, then she slipped down to the bookstore to wait it out. She had never been a fan of watching her family on the big screen.

Pops had beaten her to the shop and sat at a table working a crossword.

"Mind if I join you?" Shay asked as she sat next to him.

"Not at all, love." He patted his hand. "Is everything alright?" he asked as he looked down at where she rested her head on his shoulder.

Shay shrugged. There wasn't a whole lot to say to her father. She certainly couldn't tell him how frustrated she was feeling.

"What's an 11-letter word for love?" Pops asked as he worried his bottom lip.

"Infatuation, enchantment, amorousness," Nate's voice answered from across the room, and Shay's head jerked up to look at him.

"Ahh, infatuation! That's it! Thank you, son!" Pops grinned as he filled in the boxes while Shay and Nate gazed at one another in silence.

"The movie is 150 minutes from beginning to end. We're about ten minutes in so that gives you 140 minutes left as I see it. Why don't you take your Nate away for a little while and enjoy the enchantment of your infatuation, Shay," Pops suggested.

Nate held his hand out for Shay, and she stood up, placing a kiss on her father's head. "Cover for me!" she said before she took Nate's hand and they made for the door of the coffee shop without needing to say was word between them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.7K 1.9K 80
You & I are one big It's complicated Leon King a young CEO and also the hottest bachelor in NYC. Girls throw themselves at him some just to be in...
212K 5.6K 32
A cloud covers her eyes as the anger takes over her. I grab her wrists and push her up against the cold wall behind her. I grab her jaw a little too...
1.3M 57K 57
Highest Rank 💖#1 in Chicklit, 4th June, 2017... 💖#1 in Chicklit 17th June,2017 ********************************************************************...
537K 32.6K 31
Ophelia Carter has been working for the famous Richards family for almost four years. In that time they have begun to trust her and treat her as one...