His Favored Empress

By ladydragyn

Shaugn is a history professor with an adventurous spirit. One day he wakes up and finds himself in a world s... More

Nag, Nag, Nag
Fresh Air
Splitting Headache
Identity
Dujshua
His Emperor
Fateful Encounter
Courtship and Questions
Eye Opening Chat
A Negotiation
Dagaslan
Not Your Ordinary Priest
Entanglement
The 6th Prince
Terrible Tea
Prince Etan
Making Waves
Fight For the Right to Fight
Uninvited Guest
His Bottom Line
Size Doesn't Matter
Preparations
Currying Favor
Mother Empress
Start From Small
Picky Eaters
Public Discipline
Discussion and Departure
Shifob
Clapping Back
Gloves Off
Man to Men
Out of Sight
Night Vision
Toshi
The Slums
The Military Camp
Camp On Notice
Memorials Arrive
Setting the Stage
Diminished Ministers
A Wager
Humbled Noble
Secret Meetings
Recruitment
Drowning Rats
Rumors
Late Night Rendezvous
Reforms

Court Full of Jesters

2.2K 196 25
By ladydragyn

Akechi and Kazim entered the bedroom to see Shaugn dressed and ready to go. He was sitting at the desk with his head down. A pen scrawled across the paper making a scratching noise against the wood.They looked at each other then back at the empress.

"Your majesty?"

He looked up from the papers in his hand with dark eyes cold and indifferent. He hadn't slept well and he was not looking forward to morning court. "Morning."

Kazim tugged on his tunic hem. Shaugn was usually bright and cheerful. This mood was more like the emperor. "It's early."

He gave a low hum then returned to reading the paper in his hand.

There wasn't much to tidy up in the bedroom because Shaugn had the habit of cleaning after himself. They prepared the table for breakfast and kept quiet so as not to disturb him. Akechi took note of his outfit and hesitated to speak.

"Is your majesty planning to wear this to court this morning?"

Shaugn looked down at his clothing. "What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing. It's just...dark, your majesty."

With a chuckle, Shaugn shook his head. Of course it was dark. It was black.

Akechi noted his simple hairstyle and asked, "What about your hair?"

Shaugn paused for a moment in thought. His hair was up in a messy bun with a pair of simple gold hair sticks. There was nothing about this dress that said elegant empress. This outfit made him seem cold and unapproachable – all business.

"Do I need something more?"

Kazim spoke from the side. "Well, you're going to the court, your majesty. You should have a small crown at least."

He waved his hand. "So be it." His stomach let out a low growl. Folding all but one sheet of paper and tucking them into his sleeve, he got up to go to the low table to eat. Mentally going over everything that needed to happen today, Shaugn scarfed his food down then polished it off with a drink.

He dabbed the corners of his mouth. Radagar."

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Send someone to trace the emperor's route and report any strange occurrences immediately."

The emperor? The three looked at him with wide eyes in surprise. Kazim recovered first.

"Do you suspect something happened to the emperor?"

Shaugn rubbed the carnelian stone around his neck. "I'm not sure. Just to be sure."

"Yes!" Radagar hurried out of the door and spoke to someone in the hall.

Shaugn picked up the sheet of paper on the desk and handed it to Akechi. "Take this sketch to the seamstress and tell her to make three as specified according to my size."

Akechi glanced at the sketch he'd made when he couldn't sleep. "You're changing your royal dress?"

Having fought with all the complicated different layers when trying to dress himself, Shaugn scaled down the clothing he was to wear and added buttons. He also designed modern boxer briefs, eliminating the fabric waste and ineffective undergarments.

"I've simplified it. This will be my daily wear from now on. If a special occasion happens, then the traditional dress will be worn."

Akechi nodded and summoned one of the waiters standing by to take it to the seamstress. When all was cleaned up, they left the emperor's rooms and headed to the front of the palace. A carriage was waiting instead of a rickshaw. Shaugn looked over his shoulder.

The steward stepped forward to explain. "The old man said it would rain later, your majesty."

Looking up at the blue sky, Shaugn sniffed the air. It was then he noticed the stifling humidity in the air. He pulled his fan out and stepped into the carriage with Radagar's help. Akechi climbed in beside him. Kazim rode with the driver and Radagar rode on a horse in front with several soldiers. Fanning himself along the way, Shaugn stared out the window with a wrinkled brow.

How could he use his knowledge of the future to change things without revealing too much of himself or making people suspicious? Ancients were highly superstitious. They were quick to call someone a witch or demon and put them to death. Not only that, but he had to deal with the bureaucracy of the court; pedantic old men who spent too much time tucked safely away in the capital with no clue how to bring about change for the good of the people.

Akechi opened and closed her mouth several times but in the end, kept quiet so as not to disturb him.

Vendors on the street were still setting up as the carriage made its way to the court so there were less people on the streets. They passed unimpeded and reached the court before most of the ministers. A few of the older ministers were standing on the lower steps conversing in a circle. Another group stood at the top of the steps discussing something with enthusiasm. All of these were men who had served the court for far too long and had way too much power and wealth. Shaugn narrowed his eyes as the carriage passed by and disappeared into an alley.

The minister of rites was newly appointed. He was just twenty and looked as if he'd be blown away with a strong wind. He struggled with the weight of the heavy board used to secure the back doors of the court. This was the entrance used by the emperor and empress. Sweat rolled down his reddened face and a few wisps of hair started to stick to his face. 

Shaugn felt sorry for the poor boy. Why didn't the guards help him? He knocked on the carriage walls and raised his voice. "Radagar, help the poor boy before he dies of stroke."

"Yes, your majesty." He jumped down from his horse and instructed several guards to help open the doors to the court. The court had four entrances in total; one in front , two on the sides, and one in the back. The one in the back was for the emperor and empress only. The door on the left was for delivering items when there was an event or celebration. The door on the right side was for the prisoners and guards and the front was for ministers and the general public.

There was a room in the back for the emperor and empress to rest and have light refreshments before court sessions. Shaugn sat on the sofa and closed his eyes. Lack of sleep, hormones, and tense nerves made him feel irritable. He ordered one of the guards to go to a vendor and bring back something sour. Rubbing a hand over his stomach, he condensed his thoughts and ran over the task at hand.

After a while, thunderous footsteps sounded as the prison and royal guards took up their positions around the courtroom. Several years ago, a group of men were on trial for stealing. At that time there were only ten or so guards. Twenty males related to the men stormed the courtroom to free the men, wounding four ministers and killing six of the guards. After Xoan and his guards suppressed the men, they found out they were a group of bandits that had no fear of the emperor nor respect for the laws of the empire.

Shaugn closed his eyes and ran over everything he wanted to say one more time. He didn't want to lose face in front of the ministers. The muffled sound of the ministers in the main court could barely be heard as everyone waited for the empress. This was the first time since his arrival that Shaugn had been so quiet and serious.

The minister of rites tapped on the door. Seeing the stern face of the empress, a cold sweat broke out on his forehead. He'd never dealt with a displeased sovereign before. With a trembling voice, he announced it was time for court to begin.

Shaugn stood and straightened out his clothes. His eyes swept over the minister of rites who was trying to make himself invisible.

"What is the minister's name?"

Shocked the empress would speak to him, the minister stuttered. "Ru-Ruten, your majesty."

"Ruten? Do you enjoy your job, Minister Ruten?"

Ruten nodded enthusiastically. "I do. Even though there are...challenges."

"Oh?"

"My age is a bit of a hinderance." Realizing he was fidgeting with his fingers, Ruten hid his hands in the sleeves of his robe and straightened his back. "Not to mention my family isn't as prestigious as some of the others."

Shaugn gave a half nod. "Merit and hard work are better than family fame and money. Remember that."

He put his fist over his heart and bowed. "Yes, empress. Thank you, your majesty, for your wisdom."

"Work hard for the people, stay loyal to the empire, and avoid power struggles in the court. You'll do well in your post." Shaugn patted his shoulder and walked down the hall.

Ruten's cheeks flushed as a huge grin spread across his face before he hurried to lead the way.

The sound of the ministers' voices grew louder as they approached. A gong resounded through the hall. Ruten's strong voice announced Shaugn's arrival. The court fell into silence and all eyes landed on the dais.

Shaugn covered his mouth with his fan and side-eyed the ministers as he made his way to his seat. The disdain for the empress was clear from the eyes of several ministers. Shaugn made mental note of all their faces. Arriving at his seat, he stared down at them with deep eyes.

Several moments passed. Shaugn didn't sit nor did he speak. A few ministers felt the weight of his gaze and fidgeted in place. More than one clenched his hands in his robes. There was a slight cough somewhere on his right. A probing gaze met his and Shaugn gave a slight smirk.

Still standing, he snapped the fan shut. It was like a thunderclap in the deathly still court making several ministers jump.

"Um...Your majesty?"

Shaugn's eyes found Etan who gave him a nod that said, 'whatever you do, I'm with you.'

Clearing his throat, Shaugn addressed the court. "While the emperor is gone, I will hold court with you."

Murmmers rose immediately after he finished his sentence. Shaugn ignored their dissatisfaction and raised his voice over theirs.

"Be silent when I speak."

The ministers choked up. Some were picking their jaws up off the floor. What happened to the easily bullied empress they heard could easily be subdued?

Shaugn snorted at them. How could he not see their disrespect of him? "I'm not nearly as patient with the court as his majesty is. I find it a waste of time to debate with you over things that need to be done. I'd rather take action than talk to death." This was something from his modern life as well. He hated wasting afternoons in faculty meetings when he could have been doing research or any other thing of interest.

The right minister was an old man in his sixties who should have been replaced years ago. He didn't have any sons to pass the title on to so he was holding on for the birth of a son by one of his daughters. He liked to oppose Xoan on any and everything. He gave Shaugn a condescending look as he stroked his chest-long beard. "But, your majesty. Some discussion is necessary for major decisions. The opinions of all need consideration."

Hearing the sarcasm in his voice, Shaugn raised his brows and gave a smile. "Does an emperor really need the approval of a bunch of old worms who spend all day talking to make decisions on how to rule their empire and conduct wars?"

The air was sucked out of the room and time paused. Shaugn's eyes roved over the embarrassed and shocked gazes of the ministers. As soon as their shock wore off, the ministers began to voice their dissatisfaction. Etan's face was blank but there was a smile in his eyes.

Minister Lore's face turned red and his body trembled with rage. No one had ever spoken to him in such a way. This society believed in many Confucian and Daoist teachings such as respecting elders, respecting the strong, and filial piety. 

Shaugn didn't care. His motto was "treat me with respect, you get it back. Step on my bottom line, you're done."

"Y-you you –"

Shaugn mocked him with irritation. "M-me what? Collect your thoughts." His eyes swept the room again. "Court will be adjourned for three days after today. Each of you will submit to me the ten biggest issues you have to face by dinner tomorrow. I will review your lists and we will discuss – in depth- and resolve during our next session in three days."

The ministers excitedly began to discuss with each other.

"What is this!"

"We've never done anything like this before."

"This is outrageous!"

"The empress can't be serious!"

"You can't make decisions just like that."

"Your majesty-"

Shaugn flicked his fan ignoring them. "I told you, I don't like wasting time." Pointing his fan at three men at the end of the hall, he raised his voice. "Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Commerce, and Minister of Agriculture, I want to see you in the emperor's study one hour before the lists are due."

The three men looked at each other as if asking each other what to do. The Minister of Foreign Affairs recovered first and put his fist over his heart and bowed.

"The minister obeys, your majesty."

The two other ministers gave a hasty salute and repeated.

Shaugn nodded in satisfaction. "Give me order!" His voice sounded over the ministers', shocking them into silence.

Who was this empress?

His dark eyes passed over the room one more time. "Court is over. Your lists are due tomorrow. We will meet again in two days." Before anyone could say anything, he flung his sleeve making a loud snapping noise before walking off. 

*This empress is fierce!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.7K 805 12
Discontinued 🚫 Akashi × Kuroko × Akashi Moving into the next chapter of their life, Kuroko Tetsuya, along with his husbands; Akashi Seijuro and Seij...
299K 8.8K 60
..••°°°°••.. ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Atlas Toren Status: Completed I felt the comfort of the dim white light and blinked haphazardly as the car began to turn...
188K 3.4K 57
one shots of my fav BLs Requests are open, so if you have any ideas please leave a request in the request book on my profile and I will try them
1K 1 40
When class 1-A get's a new classmate (after Minoru caused too many girls to complain about him) the class discovers that Jasmine is suffering. Keepin...