The Stars Guide Us; They do n...

By TeaPlease1717

Momo is a princess trapped by her station in life. Destined to wither away behind the stone walls of the cast... More

The Stars Guide Us; They do not Bind Us
||Chapter 2||
||Chapter 3||
||Chapter 4||
||Chapter 5||
||Chapter 6||
||Chapter 8||
||Chapter 9 - The End||

||Chapter 7||

286 10 12
By TeaPlease1717

"Here. I brought you something."

Momo looks up from the book she is poring over, surprised.

Her companion steps closer. Momo holds out her hand, and he drops a pouch into it. It's unremarkable, a brown drawstring bag that feels weightless in her hands.

He steps back and stares at her. His expression is carefully masked, but something in his posture almost seems uncertain. "It's not much, but I thought you'd like it."

Momo stares at him for a moment then slowly opens it. A small object no larger than a pebble falls into her hand and her breath catches.

She feels her heartbeat quicken.

The stone is small, an oval the size of a pebble, but it's radiant.

Her hand shakes. Carefully, she holds it up. Glowing reds and golds shimmer forming dark clouds that morph into luminescent fog. The remnants of ancient magic linger along the smooth edges.

Momo can barely breathe. "A creation stone," she whispers, voice quivering.

"Do-do you not like it?" he asks softly from next to her.

Her vision blurs. The stone can only be mined in her family's lands; there haven't been any found in hundreds of years.

She shakes her head. "It's beautiful." The words don't give it justice. It's like starlight—an entire nebula—caught inside a stone. "Why?" Her voice trembles.

"I thought you'd like it."

Momo wants to cry, instead she smiles and holds it up to the moonlight. It gleams and Momo can almost imagine the magic shimmering around it.

She closes her eyes and makes a wish, even though she knows that it's useless. The magic has left the stone a long time ago.

XXXXXX

"I finished." She hands him a piece of paper. Her throat is tight, like the words are bitter honey sticking in her mouth. "This is a list of ingredients your patron will need for the reversal spell. Most of the ingredients are easy enough to find but..."

Her companion takes the slip and scans it. His face grows ashen. "A phoenix tear?" His hands tighten around the piece of paper until his knuckles are white. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." Momo avoids his gaze. "I did the calculations and formulas a number of times. It's the only way."

His shoulders slump forward. "It would take forever to find a phoenix tear — There must be another way."

Momo doesn't say anything. Sometimes there is only one way. Destiny isn't that kind.

XXXXXX

Her companion continues to visit, looking for an alternative spell to counter the curse. Momo wonders every time he leaves if that will be the last time she will see him. She doesn't understand what drives him. Why is finding a cure so important?

XXXXXX

"I was thinking it was about time we married. The summer solstice is coming up...that seems like a good time. What do you say, my dear cousin?" Shigaraki turns to her, his eyes dance with cruel glee.

Her stomach twists.

I don't want to marry you.

The words echo in her heart, but Momo doesn't say them aloud. Her fate has always been to be queen. She folds her hands respectfully in front of herself and lowers her eyes. "As you wish, my king."

He smiles; it's the response he wants to hear.

XXXXXX

Momo stands before her window looking out at the moon kissed grounds beginning to bloom with summer flowers – hydrangeas and hyacinths.

The creation stone feels heavy in her hands. She brings it up to her lips and presses the rock to her mouth as she says a silent prayer.

Then she goes over to her jewelry chest and opens it. She locks the stone back into its secret compartment. Then takes a deep, steadying breath and pulls out her mother's phoenix necklace and slides it into her nightgown pocket.

XXXXXX

"I wanted to say goodbye. This is the last time I will be able to see you."

Her companion looks up sharply.

Momo opens and closes her mouth several times before she is able to put the truth into words. "I'll-I'll be getting married in two weeks. On the summer solstice."

There is a resounding silence, as her companion stares at her. His turquoise and gray eyes shine brightly, like fallen stars.

She sees his hands curl slowly into fists at his side.

"How do you feel about that?" he asks after a moment. There is a faint tightness in his voice but his expression is masked.

She opens her mouth and hesitates. "I'm scared," she finally admits in a soft voice barely above a whisper. She looks down at the stone floor as her vision begins to blur. Her feet are covered in the woolen socks. "I don't want to get married."

From the corner of her eye, she sees her companion move closer until he stands near enough that his dark robe almost brushes against her gown.

Momo swallows. Her hands twitch by her side. If she reaches out, she can grasp onto his cloak. But she knows she shouldn't. If she touches him now, she worries she won't be able to let go.

Her fingers tremble. She brings a hand up to curl over her heart as she bundles her courage and looks up to meet his gaze.

"May I ask a favor before you go?" Momo whispers.

He stares at her intently, and she takes it as a sign of acceptance. She inhales slowly.

"Would you kiss me?"

His eyes widen marginally, and Momo continues before she loses her nerve. "It's silly, I know. But I want my first kiss to be with someone I choose. Someone not my cousin."

She can see her dark companion's jaw tighten. His expression flashes for an instant. A myriad of emotions flicker behind his heterochromatic gaze so fast she doesn't have time to read them before his mask slips back in place and he stares at her.

Momo looks away. Her chest hurts. She thinks he is going to reject her when he takes a step closer, planting a hand above her head. She can feel the heat of his body through his robe.

His other hand comes up. His fingers brush against the column of her throat before his thumb slides up to nestle under her jaw and he gently lifts her chin, leaning forward. Momo's heart stutters, and she closes her eyes as his lips skim against hers.

It's a chaste kiss and so gentle her heart aches.

And it doesn't last long enough.

He pulls back slightly and Momo opens her eyes. He's staring at her, his expression intense. "Run away with me. Right now. I'll protect you."

Momo's heart skips a beat as his breath brushes over her lips. Hope and longing fill her chest.

It would be so easy to leave and forget everything. She could create her own destiny. But — she is a princess and her cousin, nor would fate, ever let her go so easily. Someone always has to pay.

Momo draws in a quivering breath and shakes her head. Her chest hurts. "I-I can't." Her voice breaks slightly.

The necklace in her pocket is heavy. She swallows and reaches into her dress and slides a finger over the curve of the pendant before pulling it out.

"I brought you something to say goodbye." Her voice is small. She holds out the golden necklace and places it gently in his open hand. "It was my mother's. The phoenix tear in the middle should be the last piece you need for the spell." Gently, she closes his fingers over the pendant.

Her fingers are shaking, and she withdraws her hands quickly to curl behind her back. There is a sharp tightness in her chest. "Remember your patron will need about a week or more to recover. Having been cursed for so long will take a lot of energy to undo. Make sure he only has his best men around him during that time."

Her companion doesn't respond. He continues to stare at her, his gaze piercing as if he is trying to memorize what she looks like, but perhaps that is just her own reflection shining back at her.

He doesn't come again after that night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 176 22
Having clashed at the recommendation exams both Todoroki and Izanami do not have the best opinions of each other, But after being in the same class a...
278K 7.4K 26
Another story for my black females <3 I really don't see enough of these! Y/n has been in love with shoto todoroki since they were children. Will he...
112K 5.1K 38
"Mom...I know it's not right, but I can't do it anymore. The children, they're...like him more and more every day. And Shouto...his left side. Someti...
1.2M 54.8K 123
The perfect princess, soon to be the perfect ruler. It is your duty to find a husband and be a good queen. You are ready. Now, let the bidding begin...