Until my Final Breath (Shikim...

By JayFlynnPKM

"... Or just put it simply, I want to be with them forever..." Just before Izumi Yuu thought his luck could... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Guilt
Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 1)
Chapter 4: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 2)
Chapter 6: Unlock the Heart
Chapter 7: Silent Heart
Chapter 8: Reminiscence
Chapter 9: Brother

Chapter 5: Honey Lemon Tea (pt. 3)

378 8 3
By JayFlynnPKM

"... Stay with you?" I asked Shikimori to confirm what I had just heard. "You mean... here, at your home?" I asked again and pointed at the floor, my face was also blushing the same color as her.

"... What are you talking about, Izumi-san?" Shikimori asked while looking away and fidgeting her thumbs. "If it is not here, then where else?"

"I mean... t-that's fine!" I told her and shrugged my shoulders. "If you want, I can stay here for a little longer before going ho-" I was trying to reassure her, but I got cut off when she shook her head, denying what I said.

"I-Izumi-san, when I said 'for tonight', I mean..." Shikimori tried to explain, but perhaps there was something stuck in her throat. She then takes a gulp and continues. "I mean... s-stay with me... o-overnight... until tomorrow... You know, l-like a sleepover..." She stuttered, her head was lowered so deep that I could barely see anything through her hair bangs except the shade of red on her face.

... Okay, this is so surreal.

This is definitely not the first time I have stayed somewhere with Shikimori-san. She used to stay at my home for dinner or go for a picnic with us. We even spent a night at a hot spring with my family. As my relationship with her becomes closer, I have to admit she has been like an important family member to my family. Inviting Shikimori-san to have a trip or stay somewhere with us has become necessary.

However, this is a different case. We are talking about me staying at my girlfriend's home, not just for a short period, but for a very long one, like she said, overnight. I don't know anything about her brother, but since I stepped into her house, I have not seen her mom anywhere or heard any mention of her from Shikimori-san herself. This also means that if "something" happens, there will not be any barricade, except for her brother, who can do something to stop it. However, I might sleep in her room, as well, which is a first for me. All those thoughts are wandering in my head, keeping me from thinking straight.

"B-But Shikimori-san," I stuttered. "I-I thought your mom didn't allow you to bring anyone home if she was gone? Besides, she's not home, right? What if something happens-"

"Mom is not coming home until tomorrow morning. She's having a night shift." She cut me off, then she leaned toward me and whispered. "Besides, rules are meant to be broken, am I right, Izumi-san? Wouldn't it be exciting if we do something... wrong?"

When did she get this bold!?

"By the way, Izumi-san..." She whispered again, both of our faces were having the same shade of red. "I haven't told her that I was inviting you here. So basically, I've already broken the rule and become a 'criminal', and you are now my accomplice, Izumi-san."

To be honest, calling yourself a "criminal" for bringing your friends home without any permission is a bit exaggerating. However, I am now too flustered that I cannot even utter a word. Shikimori-san is using her home advantage to push me against the wall and make me feel that I have no choice but to accept her request. As she said, I am at a point of no return. If her mom finds out about this, not only her, but I will also get in trouble. I know how bad this can get, but it is nearly impossible to get out.

"Shikimori-san, I..." I tried to tell her, but I couldn't think of anything clear. Therefore, I take a deep breath to calm myself down and continue. "Y-You know, it's not that I don't want to, it's just... kind of wrong," I told her, and I soon realized that her facial expression became sad, as her lips curled into a frown. I know Shikimori-san may be disappointed to hear it, but I have to tell her my reasons, as I don't want her to get in any trouble with her mom. "Your mom does not allow it, and I also don't want anything bad to happen between you and her. B-But if you want, as I said, I can stay here longer with you. I think my mom will understand if I go home late-"

Before I could end my sentence, I got cut off when she grabbed my hand and cupped it in her palms. She starts squeezing it and brushing her thumbs on some of my knuckles.

"...Do you think I can let you go that easy after hearing about that?" She asked me quietly while trying to avoid my gaze. "What if something happens to you on your way home? What if something happens to you tonight? I don't want to bear thinking about that..."

I feel like my chest is getting heavier. I take a look at her cupping hands and get noticed by the soring red mark on one of her hands, which is the aftermath of that slam on the bed frame she did earlier. It's not as bad as what I last saw, but I doubt that the pain has been eased. After all, who could stay completely calm when they hear that someone they care about is in some sort of illness or just simply had something bad happen to them.

"... You could get in trouble with your mom when she gets home tomorrow, Shikimori-san." I tried to convince her one last time, but she shook her head.

"I-I don't care! I can deal with that later!" Shikimori retorted.

"W-What about somewhere for me to sleep? I don't see any spare pillow-"

"I have a spare one! I can lend you that!"

"H-How about your brother? Will he be fine with that?"

"He'll understand! I can just... e-explain to him!"

"Okay, Shikimori-san, that last part is kinda..." I was about to tell her about her uncertainty when suddenly her squeeze on my hand got tighter and cut me off. She starts squeezing her lips while her palms are getting shakier, especially the soring one, like she is desperately trying not to let me go.

"P-Please... just... stay with me... That's all I a-ask for..." Shikimori pleaded while lowering her head to her cupping hands and touching her forehead on my cupped hand, her voice was almost trembling.

This makes my chest even heavier. My heartbeat is getting faster like it can pop out of my chest at any second. Perhaps Shikimori-san is afraid of what might happen to me. I think she still needs more time to process what she has heard. However, the more I see her like this, the more pain I feel. I remember what she said about 'bear the burden I am piling up inside my chest', and I guess this is her effort of trying to do it. It must be very difficult for her to bear such news for the first time. Even I could not accept it the first time I received it, back in the hospital. Maybe right now, Shikimori-san needs me to be by her side...

'Please, Izumi-san, allow me to bear this burden you are piling up inside your chest, okay?'

But if anyone needs someone to be by their side at this difficult time, it should be me... Izumi, you did something wrong again...

"... Okay, I'll stay," I told her while reaching out my other hand to soothe her shaking palms.

When Shikimori-san hears it, she shoots back at me, her lips get more relaxed and curl into a smile. Her palms are no longer shaking, as they also start to be more relaxed and loosen my hand. Before I know it, she leans forward and wraps her arms around my neck, while placing her chin on my shoulder, which I return with an awkward wrap around her waist.

"Thank you, Izumi-san..." She whispered into my ears and rested her head on my shoulder. We stay like that for a long time, as time has stopped to leave us a space for ourselves.

~0O0~

"So... How do you know about that?"

We had been sitting in silence in her room for quite a while. Shikimori-san was holding one of my hands with her soring one, while her thumb was brushing each of my knuckles. She was having a concerning look on her face. It's not that I didn't like it, but this situation was getting a little awkward, so I spoke first and asked her to break the silence.

Having heard my question, she shoots her head back at me and gives me a chuckle. "Didn't I tell you? I knew it from Kamiya-"

"No, no, that's not what I meant." I denied what she said and started scratching my forehead, thinking of a clearer question. "How can I say this... Uhm, how did you know that Kamiya-san could give you the answer?"

After hearing my question again, Shikimori-san nods understandingly and smiles at me. "I mean... It's kinda obvious, right?"

"Obvious?"

"You know, back in the school entrance yesterday," Shikimori said. "You two were very unnatural when seeing each other." She continued. "Since you still had those 'tee hee, I'm not gonna tell you anything', 'no-no, there's nothing wrong with me' things, I thought that I would just go for her all by myself." She mocked me.

"I don't remember I said 'tee hee' before..."

"I know," Shikimori said and covered her mouth to hold her laughter. However, she soon uncovers it and starts folding her arm, her lips curl into a frown as she tilts her head slightly to the side. "You know, it was quite a struggle to make her tell everything since she was not the type of person that easily confess herself. However, when she finally told everything, she looked very... sad and worried. I mean... keeping one of the biggest secrets is not such an easy thing, huh? Someone can relate to her..." She told me while leaning her back slightly to my side and keeping her eyes on me.

"... Yeah, I guess you're right..." I answered her and let out a sigh. I acknowledge the fact that I asked Kamiya-san to keep my secret, something that she did not even have it or any reason to be behind it. After all, I kind of expect that someday, this will be revealed, sooner or later. However, what I did not consider was how Kamiya-san would take it. I know she is a strong girl, but not even the strongest one could bear or accept what they just witnessed, and it was a scene that I made, something that would shock anyone...

And I guess not even the closest one to you, as well...

"... But to be honest, I was thinking about something far worse than that," Shikimori said, bringing me back to reality.

"Far worse?" I asked her in confusion.

"Y-Yeah! I thought that..." She answered, but then paused for a couple of seconds. "I thought that... you two were having some sort of affair behind my back..."

"... A-Affair!?" I was shocked by what she said, so I could not control my cracking voice. After hearing my exclaim, she starts turning her head away from me, while pushing out her lips and intertwining her thumbs together, trying to squeeze out of the gap. "How could you even figure that out just by seeing it, out of the water!?" I asked her, still unable to keep myself from being loud.

"... I mean... Everyone would think so if they saw that, right?"

Not everyone can figure out something so brilliant as you did, Shikimori-san!

"I can't believe this..." I started facepalming myself and mumbling in my palm while chuckling in disappointment. "You were talking about being honest and trusting each other, but even you didn't trust me and doubted me on such a thing..."

"Okay, okay! I'm just kidding!" She exclaimed, then she stumbled to my side and wrapped her arm around my back. "I trust you, Izumi-san! I really do!" She told me while rubbing my back.

Even though I know that was a joke, I can't get over the fact that she thought I had an affair with Kamiya-san, something that not a single human being could figure out so brilliantly. For a second, I thought that she had lost her belief in me. As I feel the sensation on my back, I hold my chin and start thinking about a proper way... as payback.

"... So... You thought that I was having an affair with Kamiya-san?" I asked Shikimori.

"It was just a joke! Can you get over it!?" She exclaimed.

"Answer my question, Shikimori-san. Be honest..."

"I... yeah... no... I don't know!" She answered puzzledly.

"And you think that it is far worse than what actually is, or the real one, right?"

"Uhh... maybe...?" She answered, still having the same puzzle in her voice, which I knew was the right time to strike.

"So... What you mean is... The news, or the fact that I have cancer, is better than I have an affair with someone else?"

"Yes... I mean no! Of course that... I... Argh!" After hearing my question, she started to be a lot more confused. She pulls her hand away from my back, starts rubbing her hair, and groans, which I find both hilarious and a bit cute, so I have to cover my mouth to hold my laughter. "P-Please don't ask me such a difficult question!" Shikimori complained.

"I-I mean you technically started it, right? Maybe find a way to finish it, as well!" I laughed, but when I soon figured out what I just said, I stopped laughing. I start acknowledging that I made a joke based on the horrible truth that I was trying to hide. Thinking of that, I let out a sigh and smile sourly again, while knocking myself on the head lightly with my fist. Before I know it, Shikimori-san starts wrapping her arm around my back again and rubbing it.

"Goddamnit..." I silently cursed myself.

"You're such a terrible comedian, Izumi-san..." She sighed.

"... Aren't you too?"

"Yeah... maybe we're both terrible comedians..."

We both start chuckling with each other before our chuckles turn into laughs, not so loud but quiet. I start to enjoy her sensation on my back, relieving that I still have someone by my side. Let alone those jokes about the "non-existence" affair, I know that even if I want to or think of it, it is impossible to betray someone like her. She trusts me and I can't let her down by doing something suspicious behind her back. Once again, I feel lucky that even in hard times like this, I still have someone to rely on.

While I was in my land of thoughts, Shikimori-san was brushing her thumb on my spine. However, I soon snap back to reality when the sensation stops. I look back at her, who is having a frown on her face, seeming like she is concerned about something. "What's wrong, Shikimori-san?" I asked her, and she replied with a sigh.

"... Let's... back to be serious, okay?" She demanded. "Have you... been eating much, Izumi-san?" She asked.

I remember that in the diagnosis the doctor provided me, there was a page that stated some symptoms that could happen to me, based on my illness. One of them was about how I could lose weight rapidly without reasons such as cutting down my diet. I think she asked that question because she's been feeling my knuckles and my spine before. I can sense that my body is getting weaker day by day, perhaps it is my illness that causes this.

... Or maybe it's not only because of the disease.

"... To be honest, it's one of the symptoms," I answered. "Maybe that's why I'm losing weight..." I told her, but she shook her head in denial.

"I don't think so, Izumi-san..." She said. "Yesterday, I kept attention on how you were having lunch. You ate... quite a concerningly little amount of food in your box, even how full it was..."

"... I guess it is because I am worried about my health, then..." I told her and lowered my face. Before I know it, she starts patting my back and using her other hand to soothe mine.

"Jeez... You should care more about your nutrition, Izumi-san..." She said worriedly, before letting out a giggle. "Remember when I tried to carry you in my arms? At this rate, I bet that I can do it in more than one second." She said, making me smile as I thought of that memory. Then she pulls her hand away from my back and pushes it onto the ground like she is about to stand up. "If you want, I can go downstairs and cook you something-"

"No no, I don't need to! Just stay here!" I begged her, making her raise an eyebrow.

"B-But you're losing weight! You can't-"

"I've already had dinner! S-So I'm still full! You don't have to!" I told her while reaching out my hand to stop her.

"... Alright," She said, got back to her place, and resumed brushing my hand with hers. "But still, if you want to have something to fill your stomach, feel free to tell me, okay?"

I'm sorry, Shikimori-san, but with my health condition, this is not a good time for me to try your food...

~0O0~

While she is holding my hand, I see that Shikimori-san is holding it with her soring hand. The red mark is not as bad as it was before, but it is still having the tinted red color of blood pressuring on it.

"So... how is your injury, Shikimori-san?" I asked her to break the silence, which made her look at me in confusion.

"Injury...? What are you talking about?" She asked me, so I pointed at the red mark on the back of her hand to answer. She silently say 'oh' and nods her head in understanding.

"I see..." She mumbled, then her tone turned into a worried one. "You... must have been scared from what I did, right?" She asked me.

"Yeah, a little bit..." I told her, or to be more correct, I lied to her. I still remember that slamming sound that she made when she heard the news. It was so loud that it echoed across the room and sent a shock through my spine. Even when everything has subdued, sometimes I can still hear its echoes in my ear. I know she can be a bit scary, but that is the first time I've ever seen her that angry.

"I'm... sorry, for scaring you, Izumi-san..." She apologized, which made me confused. "I... couldn't hold my feeling when hearing that. I couldn't control my action, I-"

"You don't need to apologize!" I told her to cut her off. "I shouldn't have kept the secret from you, Shikimori-san. Besides, not everyone can take it easy. So please, don't be sorry." I tried to calm her down.

"... Thank you, Izumi-san." She looked back at me and smiled happily. "B-Besides, it's not really an injury! You don't have to worry about it! It's still fine, see?" She told me while spinning her arm with her soring hand rapidly, trying to convince me that it was alright.

However, somehow her spin loses its orbit, and she accidentally slams her hand into the bed frame behind her again. This makes her puff her cheeks to hold the scream of pain from coming out of her mouth and her eye sheds a single tear. Soon, she starts holding her soring one and squealing in pain.

"Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow..." She whispered while squeezing her eyes, gritting her teeth, and rubbing her soring hand, with the red mark getting redder. "Oh my god, this is painful as hell..." She groaned silently.

As far as I am worried about her pain, I find her reaction to being a little bit adorable, as well. I even have to try to hold my laughter when I see her blowing rapidly into her hand, desperately hoping that the pain will ease away.

"Do you need some help, Shikimori-san?" I asked her while smiling, making her look at me and pout.

"... Yeah." She finally admitted defeat and held her soring hand out for me, which I carefully grabbed it. I look down at her hand and start soothing the back of it while rubbing the mark up and down to stop the blood from pressuring it.

"Pain, pain, go away... Pain, pain, go away..." I said the magic words while soothing her hand. A few seconds later, the red mark fades away and her skin color has returned. I let go of her hand, and she quickly pulls it to her side. "Feel better?" I looked back up at her and saw she was blushing red.

"Y-Yeah, I think... Thank you..." She thanked me while pursing her lips in embarrassment, which made my face heat up a little. "D-Do you need me to ease your pain, too?" She asked.

"What do you mean? I don't think I have one..." I asked her back in confusion. But before I know it, she reaches out her hands to my chest and starts soothing it.

"Pain, pain, go away... Pain, pain, go away..." She said the magic words.

As she does that, I soon realize what was the "pain" she talked about. Therefore, I simply close my eyes to enjoy her soothing. When her hands sweep on every inch of my chest, I remember how heavy and painful it felt. It was a painful feeling when I first received my diagnosis. It was a heavy feeling when I tried to keep my health condition a secret from anyone else. It was a mixture of both when somebody knew it, either Kamiya-san or Shikimori-san. Although their reactions were different, they still brought the same feeling of guilt to me. As I think about it, I can feel they are fading away. I guess I do have a "pain" that is needed to be eased away.

"Seems like someone is enjoying it." Her whisper brought me back to reality. I open my eyes to see Shikimori-san's face just inches away from me. Her blue eyes are reflecting my image, her breath is small but enough for me to hear, and I can feel that with just a small push, we could immediately close our distance. I can feel my heart pounding faster like it is ready to jump out of my chest. Therefore, I quickly back away and gasp for air, while our faces are as red as a tomato. "How do you feel now, Izumi-san?" She asked me while beaming a smile.

"... Holy crap!" I said it out of nowhere, which made her burst out laughing and I couldn't hold my chuckle, as well. "Now that was something!" I exclaimed and waited for a few seconds to calm myself. "But I think I need it. Thanks, Shikimori-san." I thanked her, and she gave me a thumb up while trying to calm down her laugh, as well.

As the sky outside the window is getting darker, I look up at the clock on the wall of her room, which is nearly half-past eight. I realize that I need to take my medication at that time, so I stand up from my place and pick up my backpack. "Shikimori-san, I'm taking my medication now," I announced, to which she replied with a nod.

"The water is downstairs, so do you need me to grab it for you?" She asked, but I shook my head and denied her request.

"You don't have to. I'll just go downstairs to take it."

"Okay... Then I'll be preparing my room for you to sleep in here. Feel free to tell me if you need help, alright?"

Shikimori-san asked me and I gave a nod as a response. Then I take out the plastic bag of meds from my backpack and proceed to leave the room. Before leaving, I take a glimpse at her again, who is putting away the cups and the bottle of honey lemon tea from the low table.

"... Shikimori-san?" I called for her, which caught her attention.

"Yes?"

"Next time, if you are making honey lemon tea again, just let me do it, okay?"

"W-Why?"

"It's... a little bit sour, to be honest..."

"Wait, r-really?" Shikimori-san was surprised by my review, so she poured out the tea into one of the cups and tried it again. This time, she lets out a squeal and sticks her tongue out. "Oh Gawd, that actually is sour..." She groaned, which made me laugh at her reaction. Before I leave the room, I can hear giggling behind my back, as well.

"Guess I'll have to leave that to you then..." She told me as I was stepping out the door, and I gave her a nod in response.

~0O0~

'And that's... the last one...'

I thought to myself as I swallowed the last tablet in my mouth with a gulp of water. Until now, I still haven't used to taking almost 10 capsules and tablets of different kinds into my throat. As I approach the sink and start washing the cup I used, that thought still hasn't left my head, as it must be incredible to be able to take all of those meds in one gulp.

Suddenly, I feel something furry snuggling my leg. I turn my head to my leg's side to see Kara, Shikimori-san's pet shepherd is the one snuggling it while letting out some happy woofs. Therefore, I start crouching down and petting her head. "Good evening, Kara." I greeted her once again. "Guess I'm staying here for a night with you, huh?" I told her while looking at her eyes, which had the same sharpness as her master's. This fact is still both fascinating and somewhat weird to me at the same time.

However, what I also didn't know is Kara was not the only one who visited me.

"Hey kid, you're still here? It's getting late..."

I turn around to see who is calling me. A tall figure starts approaching me. He has dark pink hair with piercings on his ears. What catches my attention the most are his blue eyes, the same color as Shikimori-san's and her mom's. "Actually you know what, I'll just wait for my sister to answer it..." He said while opening the fridge nearby to grab a bottle of water. When he mentioned his sister, I immediately figured out who he was.

"... You're Shikimori-san's brother?"

"Um-hmm..." The figure, who appeared to be Shikimori-san's brother, hummed in response, as his mouth was full of water he drank. "You seem fascinating. That fact alone is enough to surprise you?" He asked me, after swallowing the water in his mouth.

"Y-Yes, a little bit..." I answered. "I mean... She did mention you before, but this is the first time that I... you know, see the real one..."

"Is that so?" He asked then let out a laugh without waiting for me to answer. "Well, nice to meet you, then. I'm Micchon's brother." He introduced himself, then he pointed at me. "And you... You must be her boyfriend, right?"

"Y-Yes... Yes, I am..." I awkwardly answered while scratching the scruff of my neck.

"Okay then... Since this is our first time we've met..." He said and approached me closer. "Allow me to do a quick check on you, okay?"

Before I can say anything, he starts walking around me while wandering his eyes around my body. He then stops in front of me and lifts my bangs, maybe to check my forehead before letting it go. Shikimori-san's brother then tilts his head and holds his chin, must be thinking about something.

"... This is strange..." He mumbled, making me confused.

"S-Strange? Why's strange?" I asked him.

"You look so... normal..."

"N-Normal? In a good way or bad way?" I puzzledly asked.

"As in... I don't know." He shrugged his shoulder while I was getting more worried. However, he then chuckles. "But... I guess this is normal in an okay way. After all, I thought she would date some sort of delinquent or something, which means I might have a harder time dealing with him."

"D-Delinquent?" I asked while being a bit shocked myself.

"Yeah..." He confirmed. "I mean, one time, when she came back from her school trip, she was having such starry eyes. So I just thought that she actually did 'something' with her boyfriend, which kind of solidified my theory." He reminded me. "But I guess it was just because of something else. I mean... you don't look like the kind of person that would do something outrageous..."

When I heard what he had said, the first thing I thought of was the Kyoto trip we went on with our friends in the second year. And when I thought of that trip, together with what he had said, I started chuckling awkwardly while my ears were heating up. Yes, Shikimori-san's brother, I'm not the kind of guy who would do that...

"So... how's your health, kid? Feel any better?" He asked me out of the water and brought me back to reality.

"You... knew?" I asked him to reconfirm, as I was surprised that he knew about my health condition.

"You two were very loud in her room." He explained. "That door is not very good at soundproofing. It was hard to concentrate on doing my work."

"I-I'm sorry... for both of us..." I apologized, but he waved his hand to shake it off.

"No need to apologize." He told me. "Now, back to my question..." He then reminded me.

"... Honestly, I don't know," I answered him, making him raise his eyebrow. "Until now, I still haven't been cleared about my condition. I don't know how bad it is, I just have to wait for the day to come, I think..." I trailed off. "B-But, thanks to Shikimori-san, I now feel a little bit better now, you know, mental wise..."

"I see..." Shikimori's brother mumbled. "Well, I'm also not a medical expert, so perhaps all I can say right now is good luck, I guess." He continued, and this line made me a little surprised.

"... That's it?"

"Y-Yeah, that's it! What else do you want, kid?" He asked me surprisingly.

"I-I thought you would try to... like... force me to break up with her because of my illness or something..."

"W-Why would I do that!?" He asked me and let out a sigh. "I know your health is not in its best form, but my little sister still trusts you and wants to be with you, right? Then that's fine by me, too."

"You..." I couldn't utter a word, so Shikimori's brother just laughed to brush it away.

"After all, I still haven't known much about you, so I'll just hang up my decision until then." He told me and started grinning. "But for now, I'll just lay my bet on my sister."

Hearing him say that makes me let out a sigh of relief. I thought this conversation would be difficult but turned out to be this easy. On the outside, Shikimori-san's brother looks a bit scary and hard to talk with, but on the inside, he is actually a caring and friendly person, just like his sister. Talking with him is fresh air for me, as I have someone to share with. Maybe I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, after all.

He also reminds me of someone else, too...

"Thank you, Shikimori-nii-san." I thanked him, but he shook his head.

"Calling me that multiple times and you'll twist your tongue." He told me and grinned, then reached out his hand. "I'm Fuji. No prob, kid."

"I'm Izumi. Thanks, Fuji-san." I thanked him again and grabbed his hand for a handshake.

This is so cool... I'm making friends with my girlfriend's brother...

"You two seem to get along quite well..."

The sound of someone broke our handshake. We both look back to see Shikimori-san behind us. She is folding her arms while leaning her shoulder on the wall and pouting. She doesn't look very happy...

"Oh, there you are!" Fuji-san exclaimed. "I was looking for you! Why haven't you escorted your boyfriend home yet?" He asked her.

"I... was also looking for you, as well..." Shikimori pursed her lips, her face was blushing a little. "I want to ask... if he could stay here overnight..."

"Stay here!? You know mom doesn't allow us to bring someone home without her permission, right?"

"I-I know!" Shikimori exclaimed. "That's why I'm asking you if you could allow it on her behalf..."

"I- Ohhhhh..." Fuji-san was about to say something before he realized something else, which could be seen when he held his chin. His lips then curl into a smirk, which makes Shikimori-san swallow something down her throat and scare me a little, as well. "I see what's happening here..."

"W-What?" Shikimori stuttered.

"I don't know... Who would have thought that my little sister would bring someone home, who is her boyfriend, and even let her stay for a sleepover, behind her mom's back...?" He said while covering his mouth. "Wow, my little sister has finally grown up..." He continued. I believe his word has flipped up something in Shikimori-san's mind, as she starts squeezing her lips and grunting, while her face is getting redder. As far as I find this a bit funny, I need to get us out of this situation.

"Fuji-san, can you let me stay here and keep this a secret from your mom?" I requested. "It's getting late, after all."

"Sure, no prob." He responded. "I'm just... proud of my sister for what she did..." He continued while covering his mouth to hold his laughter, but I didn't mind it much.

"Look, Shikimori-san, he accepted! Maybe this is easier than-"

"Izumi-san...!" She cut me off and pointed her thumb upstairs while lowering her head and letting her bangs cover her face, but her red blushing was still visible. "Upstair!" Shikimori ordered me.

"Shikimori-san-"

"Now!"

"Y-Yes, ma'am!" I obliged and followed her upstairs, leaving Fuji-san behind, who seemed quite amused at his sister's reaction.

"Hey, do you need me to prepare the mattress? I think we still have a spare one!" Fuji-san called for Shikimori-san.

"Already prepared!" She simply responded loudly and followed me behind.

"Alright then..." He said, then paused for a little while. "And Izumi!" He called for me, which caught my attention, so before I took another flight of stairs, I turned around to see him.

"Yes?"

"... Keep fighting, kid." He told me, which made me delighted, so I responded with a nod and resumed joining Shikimori-san upstairs.

I have finally earned the trust of the Shikimori family. This is such a good day for me...

"Your brother is a pretty nice guy, Shikimori-san."

"S-Shut up!"

~0O0~

I am now sitting alone in Shikimori-san's bedroom, waiting for her to finish taking a shower, as the sound of streaming water is echoing through the gap in her room's door. The low table has been set aside and the bottle of tea is placed on top of the bedside table. To keep myself occupied, I turn on my phone and start scrolling through the text messages in our group chat.

When I read some of the messages, maybe just another discussion of some random subjects, I can't help but think about how I am going to explain everything to them. Explaining to Shikimori-san was hard, but it might be harder when it comes to them. Inuzuka-kun could be the one to understand the most, but at this point, who could ensure everything would be alright? This is the same with Nekozaki-san and Hachimitsu-san. How will they react to this news, and will they accept it easily?

Speaking of revealing the news, there is someone that knew about it, but I still need to meet her: Kamiya-san. Based on what Shikimori-san said, I could tell that Kamiya-san must be puzzled right now. She couldn't keep the secret, something that was not hers, and maybe she now fears that our friendship could be ruined because of what she did, or something that might happen to me. All those thoughts are making me worried and lost in my land of thoughts once again.

I had been thinking about how I could deal with the new situation that I didn't realize the sound of streaming water had stopped. What I hear next is the sound of somebody stepping into the room.

"Izumi-san, I've left the toothbrush and cup inside for you. You can go and-" Shikimori told me, but she suddenly paused for a few seconds. She then proceeds to sit right next to me. "What's wrong, Izumi-san? You're worried about something?" She asked concerningly.

"... It's nothing, actually."

"Really? Is it true?" She asked again, and this time I couldn't answer her. I feel like something is stuck in my throat again, and my brain cannot think clearly to find a proper word for her question. Then I see her leaning her head toward my phone and reading what is on the screen, a little bit too close, though, perhaps it is her eyesight.

"Are you... thinking of telling our friends about it?" She asked, and after a few seconds of silence, I gave her a nod.

"Yeah... Turns out it was harder than I thought..." I confessed. "Like, explaining it to you was hard. But who could tell that it would be easier or harder to explain it to them? I mean, are they going to accept it? Or something else might happen...?"

I told her everything I thought of. After a brief second or two, she starts grabbing my shoulder and giving me a sudden sensation. "Izumi-san, I'm sure everything will be alright..." She reassured me, but I shook my head as I still had some doubts.

"I-I don't know, Shikimori-san." I denied. "How could you tell that? How could you make sure that things will be-"

Before I could finish my question, I got cut off when she suddenly grabbed my other shoulder and spun me around. Now finally sitting face-to-face with her, I finally see her full image. Shikimori-san has changed to her oversized t-shirt, with still the same shorts as before. Her straight, pink hair has turned into a permed one, something I don't usually see, still a bit wet from the shower. She is also having a towel hanging around her neck. I can even smell the scent of vanilla from her hair. The more I look at her, the more I admire it.

"Now listen to me, Izumi-san." She demanded me and started cupping my cheeks. "Everything will be alright! I don't know much about Inuzuka-san, but I know Neko and Hachimitsu, and I know that they will accept this. They're not going to leave you, just like me, okay?"

She told me and smiled at me, then she let go of my cheeks to cup both of my hands in her palm. "If you find it difficult to say, I can help you explain it to them. As I said, you are not alone in this fight. I'll always be with you, Izumi-san!"

Although the worries in my head have yet to be dissolved, her words really reassure me. I am still not sure that our friends will respond well to the truth, but I am sure that in this difficult time, I am not alone, as I know my girlfriend has got my back. This alone brings a smile to my face. The last few days have been harsh, but never have I thought that I would be smiling a lot more like today.

"Izumi-san? Hello? Earth to Izumi-san?" Shikimori called for me while waving her hand in front of my view, bringing me back to reality. "Where were you, Izumi-san?" She asked me.

"... Your hair..." After a few seconds, I started to speak. "... It smells so... nice..."

"... WHAT!?" When she heard my praise, it was like her brain decided to stop working for a couple of seconds, before she suddenly exclaimed. She then pushes me away from her and blushes furiously. "You... You..." She stuttered. "I took all of my courage to say that to you, and that's how you respond to me!?"

"N-No, Shikimori-san, I-" I tried to explain to her, but got cut off when she turned her back against me. She starts burying her face into her knees and sulking. "Shikimori-san?"

"No!" She briefly shot her head back at me before returning to her face burying. "I'm never giving you any advice ever again!" She mumbled on her knees.

As far as I am concerned that she is mad at me, judging by how she is avoiding my gaze and her pouty face, which is visible based on her cheeks, I am relieved and delighted that I have her on my side. I've always known that she is a caring person, and until now she still proves that I am right. When she starts twirling her hair strand, I can't help but smile at the scene, along with the content thoughts inside my head.

"Hey, Shikimori-san..." I called for her, after almost a minute of silence.

"... Y-Yeah?"

"Thank you... for everything..." I thanked her, not just because of everything she did for me today. I bet she is flattered from hearing that, as she starts squealing some strange but lovable voices while sinking deeper into her knees.

"... O-One more time and I'll... I'll rip your head off, a-alright!?" She mumbled in her angry tone while still avoiding me, but was that supposed to be a threat?

I start standing up from the ground and doing some small stretching exercises to feel my legs from the sitting. Before I leave the room for a shower, I start looking around it and finding something... strange.

She still has not prepared the mattress for me to sleep on tonight...

"Umm... Shikimori-san? Where's the mattress? Haven't you prepared it?" I asked her. Shikimori-san then turns around and gives me a puzzled look.

"... What do you mean 'mattress', Izumi-san?" She asked, making me raise an eyebrow.

"You know... the soft, rectangular, sometimes square thing that they sleep on... I mean, you should have known that, right? They look like the one on your bed..." I described it in case she actually didn't know what the mattress was.

"... Oh, you mean this..." She asked me and patted her hand on her bed's mattress. "I thought I... had already prepared for you..." She told me, her face was blushing red every inch. I was still puzzled by her saying, but when I started connecting the dots and figuring out the answer, my face was also as red as her. We just stand there and don't move a muscle.

So... by 'preparing me a mattress'... or just simply 'preparing somewhere for me to sleep'... the place I am sleeping tonight is...

"Hey, if you two are going to do 'something' tonight, make sure to keep it down, alright?"

"WE'RE NOT!" We both exclaimed to snap back Fuji-san, who was smirking at our situation at that time.

God, tonight will be a hard night to sleep...

~0O0~

Remember when I said it was surreal to be at my girlfriend's home overnight?

Well, this is an even crazier feeling!

I am lying on Shikimori-san's bed. Her bedroom's lights have been switched off, with nothing but the light shining from the moon as a light source. Her bed is still a single bed, after all, so we are trying to squeeze ourselves in different, specific spots so we can both fit on the bed and leave enough space to sleep.

However, I am now having a real difficulty to even trying to shut my eyes. She is very close to me, and our arms are just centimeters or even millimeters away. The distance is so close I can hear her small breathing sound. I try to think of something boring to drift me off to sleep, but the fact that Shikimori-san is sleeping next to me is too distracting.

When I am still thinking about what to do, I feel her start moving a bit, with the muffling sound of rubbing fabric, making our blanket shift aside a little bit.

"... Izumi-san...?" I heard her voice, although I thought she was asleep.

"... Hmm?" I hummed in response.

"Are you asleep yet?"

"... Snore..." I tried to fake a snore, but this just made her giggle.

"That means you aren't! Wake up, Izumi-san!" She giggled, which made me chuckle following her. As both of us can't go to sleep, we silently agree that we will just stare at the ceiling or anything else until one of us is drowsy.

"So..." I spoke first to break the silence. "How could you come up with... this?" I asked her.

"I... used to watch movies about married couples." She explained. "I saw them sleeping together on a bed. So... I thought that maybe someday... w-we can try this t-together..." She stuttered.

"But it's not what you thought, right?" I asked her, and without waiting for her answer, I continued. "I mean, after all, they still had some pretty high budget to make the movies. They definitely used some of it to buy king-sized beds to film those scenes."

"I guess you're right..." She replied. "Maybe... I could ask mom to buy a king-sized one."

"Don't be a spoiled child, Shikimori-san."

"I'm not being a spoiled child." She retorted. "I'm just suggesting a way for both of us to feel comfortable while sleeping."

"Um-hmm, you've got a point..." I nodded my head slightly. "But don't you think that a king-sized bed would be too big for your room?" I asked her. "If you arrange it in here, I'm afraid that we won't have enough gaps to squeeze through." I reminded her, looking at how small her room was.

"We could use the bed as a sitting spot, though." She answered. "I might not need to arrange that low table again."

"But it's just you using this room. Don't you think it's a bit too much?"

"Then I'll just invite you for more sleepovers and we can... b-both sleep on this bed..."

"Okay, that's a bit too far..." I told her while my face was blushing from hearing that. Having heard my reaction, she lets out a giggle herself. Soon the awkward silence has returned, so we both try to find a way to continue the conversation.

"So... have you found out a way to reveal the truth yet?" She asked me, reminding me of the challenge I had to face next.

"I have thought of some while in the shower..." I answered her.

"Really? Mind telling about them?" Shikimori asked.

"They are quite risky and may make me lose something, but bear with me, they might work."

"I... don't think you need to take the risk here... Just be honest and tell them." She sighed.

"Then I'm still afraid that they won't accept it..." I confessed, but then I felt her patting my arms under the blanket, sending quite a sensation through my body.

"Izumi-san... I'm sure it will be alright." She reassured me. "Just send me a signal and I'll be there for your help."

"Signal?" I asked her. "Like traffic signals? Bat signals?"

"I... don't understand what you said, but yeah, something like that." She whispered.

After that brief conversation, we then resume being in the dead silence again. I start to feel it's getting a little awkward, so I tap my fingers on the bedsheet into a rhythm to hopefully break the silence, and also to keep myself warm, as even though I am wrapped in a blanket, I have to share it with Shikimori-san, so there are still some spaces for the cold air to leak in.

"... Are you free tomorrow, Izumi-san?" Shikimori spoke first.

"I... guess..." I trailed off. "I mean, I've already done the homework before coming here... Have you done it, Shikimori-san?"

"No, not yet." She answered. "But I'm glad to hear you've done them."

"Why?"

"So I can ask you to let me copy them?"

"You want to copy my homework?" I asked her again while chuckling. "A public moral committee member like you wants to do something that immoral?"

"Hey, rules are meant to be broken, remember?" She giggled. "Besides, not every member of the committee is completely moral, if you know what I mean..." She whispered.

"Fair point... fair point..." I mumbled and rolled my eyes.

"So... back to my question. You're free tomorrow, right?" Shikimori asked again.

"Yep! Do you have any plan?"

"Cool! Then I have this idea." She proposed. "Let's just put aside this 'how to tell our friends my secret' thing and have a date!" She announced, which made me surprised.

"Date!? Like right tomorrow?" I asked her.

"Tomorrow! I'll let you pick the locations! Anywhere you want to go, I'll follow!"

"But... I haven't changed my clothes yet." I told her, looking at the clothes I had been wearing since I came to her home.

"That's alright. We can stop by your home and wait for you to get changed."

"Alright then..." I mumbled and nodded my head, confirming our date tomorrow. "So... anywhere?" I asked Shikimori again.

"That's right, Princess Jasmine." She answered. "I can take you anywhere."

"Don't call me that..." I requested her, while my face was blushing a bit from the nickname she gave me, and she just let out a giggle from my reaction.

After a few seconds of silence, Shikimori-san decides to speak again. "You know, perhaps the most important thing is we need to find a restaurant that can fill our stomachs real full." She said. "Like the ramen shop that we used to visit." She reminded me.

"You mean the one with the 'jumbo bowl' challenge thing?" I asked her. "I thought you hated it because their ramen made your stomach rounded-"

"It's not rounded at all! Here I'll show you- Hey! Don't you dare turn away from me! Turn back here! Isn't this what you want!?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! It's still so indecent! Please pull down your shirt!" I quickly faced the wall by my side and turned away from her as soon as I felt she toss her blanket away from her side and heard the sound of rubbing fabric, which I assumed was her pulling up her t-shirt. I soon find the courage to turn my head back to the original position when the blanket on her side is adjusted and it seems like she has pulled down her t-shirt.

"Besides, aren't you the one who really needs to fill the stomach?" She asked me and tapped at my ribs, which reminded me of my weight loss.

"Yeah... can't disagree with that..." I mumbled and let out a sigh.

As we let the silence take over us again, the light from the moon shining in the room has become brighter, which we soon realize. "Izumi-san, look!" Shikimori said and pointed at the windows by her bed, which I obliged and looked through it. I observe the beautiful scenery made by nature, the blanket of stars stretching to infinity now is even more starry with different sizes. I even try to find if there is any constellation in the sky, as the position of where we are is easy to see.

"Shikimori-san?" I called for her.

"Hmm?"

"Today is the best day of my life!" I told Shikimori-san with a smile on my face.

"Really? I thought you had much more days better than this?" She asked surprisingly.

"I know... But the last few days have been really difficult." I explained, thinking of everything I had been through. "But this is the day that I finally feel... peaceful." I continued. "And this is all thanks to you, Shikimori-san."

"Aww..." She cooed, then she paused for a few seconds before continuing. "So... You only have like 12 more months to live, right?" She asked.

"... To be honest, I'm not so sure about that..." I responded. "I'm still unsure about my condition, you know?"

"Then let's assume that you still have 12 months then..." Shikimori said. "I will turn those into the best 12 months you've ever had in your life! You got me?" She promised me, which made me smile even brighter. It is the happiest and most genuine smile I have ever had.

I really am a lucky guy to have someone like her by my side.

Before I can answer, both of us start yawning. We're both sleepy from such a long day and the only thing I can think of right now is shutting my eyes and drifting to sleep.

"Well, I guess this is a good night, then. Good night, Shiki-"

"Wait!" Before I wished Shikimori-san a good night, I got cut off by her. "Before you sleep, could you turn your head to my side, please?" She requested.

"... Are you going to do that lifting shirt up again?" I asked her doubtfully.

"Do you still want to see it?" She asked me playfully, almost sounding like a whisper.

"No?"

"Then I'm not gonna do it. Just turn your head around, please?"

Having heard her request, I oblige and turn my head to her side. What I am greeted with is such a beautiful sight. She still has her curled, pink hair, with the light from the moon shining on her sapphire blue eyes, making them sparkle like gems, and shines through her bright smile that she is beaming at me. I take some time to admire it as I feel like time has stopped for a while.

"... Good boy..." She whispered, before closing the distance between us. I am so flustered by her words that I cannot move an inch away from her. Before I can do something, she lifts my hair bangs, and gives my forehead a quick peck. "Good night, Izumi-san." She whispered and turned around, drifting herself to sleep, leaving me and my crazily blushing face behind with my beating rapidly heart from that sensation.

... How the heck am I gonna sleep now!?

End of chapter 5

~0O0~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.1K 2.1K 37
" We can't change fate , I wished I learned it earlier" " Everything ends someday , even us " Yeonjun , a 27 year old man who is sick of life and ha...
317 18 3
This is a book where I'll upload my Skate the Infinity one shots. It will be mostly hurt comfort or slow burn/romance stories and mostly be focusing...
66 3 1
AL CREDIT GOES TO : izayes angst with happy ending "sorry, it's just... you've been amazingly kind to me these past few days. ...but i'm still not su...
1M 40.7K 55
"𝐈 𝐇𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔." "𝐆𝐄𝐓 𝐎𝐅𝐅 𝐌𝐘 𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍." "𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐏 𝐏𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐈𝐍 𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍." ─ 𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗵�...