Midnight Neighbor | 18+

By akawaiiisan

♤♤ MATURE CONTENT warning ♤♤ • • • He's charming. He's handsome, hot as f*ck, talented, charismatic. People h... More

|| summary ||
0|| Disclaimer
1|| You're like, ancient Soph
2|| Negligence
3|| Unaware
4|| Her ignorance
5|| Familiar
6|| A Shocker
7|| Disbelief
8|| It will end in tears
9|| Realization
10|| Game
11|| Olivia
12||Harrassment and Assault
13|| Fail Safe Plan
14|| Risky
15||For his Sanity
16|| Conflicted
17|| Overreaching
18|| Shameless
19|| Blessing
20|| Undercurrents
21|| A Memorable Night
22|| Only for you
23|| Drive you wild
24|| Behind The Scenes
25|| Starved
26|| Much too Impulsive
27|| Interrogation at its Finest
28|| Dangerous urges
29|| Insatiable
30|| Snake (part 1)
30|| Snake (part 2)
31|| Unease
32|| Honesty
33|| Assumptions
34|| Bad Memories
35|| Who is that Woman
36|| His Persistence
37|| Unforseen Changes
38|| Banter
39|| Burning Curiosity
40|| Petrified
42|| Unbelievable
43|| Oversight
44|| A Small glimpse is Enough
45|| Recklessness
46|| Show me
47|| Accidents and Confrontations
48|| Say it
49|| Exposed
50|| First Impressions Last
51|| Two Truths and a Lie
52|| Always Two Steps Ahead
53|| Silent Wars
54|| Then comes the Fall
55|| A Gift
56|| Contempt
57|| Hurt people
58|| Importance
59|| Quite the Scare
60|| Making Plans
61|| Her Dominance -Shortlived
62|| Angst
63|| Theft of Joy
64|| Uncertainties
65|| Under Pressure
66||Miranda
67|| Motherly Woes
68|| Blame
69|| Bittersweet
70|| Priorities
71|| Art of Gathering Information
72||Cater to You
73|| Keep a Secret
74|| Love so Pure
||Content With You {MN extras 1/?}
||Content With You {MN extras 2/?}
|| Her neighbor {MN extra 1/?}

41|| Undercurrents Flow Once Again

9.1K 428 516
By akawaiiisan

Unedited ~
• • •

"When were you planning to tell me, son?" The man began speaking softly, although his voice struggled to stay on that low octave, "-That someone out there miraculously caught your eye?"

Elijah stood at the floor to ceiling windows of the huge building, watching the cars leave one by one, shoulders squared and arms comfortably placed behind his back. The orange-red hues from the setting sun casted a fiery glow onto his face and gave him an almost ethereal silhouette. His entire visage was a sight that would stun many who gazed from the sidelines and the man behind him, sitting comfortably some feet away, did not loose out in this aspect.

Both men had been in comfortable silence just now, until the much older Osoro chose to break it with those few words.

Elijah did not immediately answer, he continued to stare down at the crowd getting smaller and smaller down below. It signified the end of yet another prosperous and fulfilling event, one that displayed the might of the Osoro name. What started as just a simple company event evolved into something far greater, being able to draw this many people.

Elijah, although he seemed calm on the outside was still distracted. In fact, for the past hour or so, he could barely contain the growing rage deep inside his chest. All his years of practicing restraint and self control went into that moment, that exact moment he almost did something that'd spoil the family name for years to come.

The day was going well before that incident. He recounted it with vivid memory.

He did his necessary duties, managed to keep a steady eye on Sophia, went over to extricate the annoying bee buzzing around his flower and got to put everything back into the clear once more, all while entertaining the few important people who chose to attend the event. This was all done to the best of his abilities.

All of that later went down the drain as he lost sight of Sophia once more and just as he was contemplating the crazy idea of finding her himself and chaining her to the table, just so he could properly keep an eye on her, she appeared out of nowhere once again.

Sophia was not alone, however, much to Elijah's horror.

He didn't even want to reimagine the sight of that man holding on to what was his...his Sophia. But he had to because Sophia had been behaving very oddly ever since that interaction.

He'd be lying if he said he didn't recognize that man either. His name that Elijah remembered was Ethan and Ethan's file was already brought out from the man dared to make a pass at Sophia.

Elijah knew something was terribly wrong here. He had a feeling and his feelings never lied. Something happened in that short moment she stood with Ethan. Elijah just didn't know what it was.

It was killing him slowly. Not knowing.

He only wanted to sit Sophia down and have her recall whatever happened, telling him word for word.

Even though that was what he really wanted, Elijah couldn't even find a moment to make his way to her side and it was truly unfortunate. Just as he was ready to throw caution to the wind,  twice as many people began hounding him as the event neared it's close.

Elijah was in a bad mood and it was as of a dark cloud stayed suspended over his head. That much was clear from his steely eyes that watched the scene below.

It was already decided though...Even while not being completely aware of the shit that went down, Elijah thought Ethan was truly an eyesore. People he found displeasing to the eye were bound to 'loose their way' somehow.

That Ethan...one offense already had him on thin ice but Elijah simply delayed his judgment to not alert Sophia of the eyes he had stationed around her floor. Elijah was really busy, too busy to check on the situation on her floor and after today, that would be no more.

A complete reshuffle was needed. Truly unfortunate that a certain man would be...lost in that reshuffle.

Two offenses already done and Elijah would not leave the space open for another one. That man had gotten his full attention this time. Elijah even felt like making the call now...

"Son," the voice was no longer far behind him and it dragged him out of his interal contemplations. His father came to stand at his side, joining him. "-Do you not plan to answer any of my questions?"

"No," Elijah replied curtly.

It brought a small smile onto Dominic's lips. "Stingy as always, but there really no need to hide it." His gaze locked with Elijah's through their semi transparent reflection in the windows.  "-I've been many things through my lifetime. A blind man was not one of them "

"Whatever do you mean...?" Elijah murmured.

"Who is she?"

"None of your concern for the time being."

Dominic looked taken aback, "I always thought you found it too bothersome to sneak around? What caused this sudden change?"

Elijah paused, then turned to Dominic, "Does it seem so? Like I'm 'sneaking around' as you put it?"

"Well," Dominic chuckled, "none of my questions for the past hour got answered and I wasn't aware of this lady until today so forgive me for assuming."

Elijah stared at him for a few seconds longer before looking away. His hands left his back and he stuffed them inside his pockets casually. Thinking about Sophia, he smiled, "It's not up to me."

"Smitten...thats what you are." Dominic  murmured in surprise at first, then a smile found it's way onto his lips, "It's a strange sight to see you compromising to this extent but your mother will not like this."

Elijah shook his head, then began frowning, "Don't mention it, and don't mention her to Mama, in fact, I'd appreciate it if you kept her at a distance."

"Hmm?" Both of Dominic's eyebrows flew upwards, "It seems you wish to attend my funeral by the morning? Mine and everyone elses who'd be getting in the way of her seeing the sight of a possible daughter in law."

"She's your wife," Elijah looked away with a miniscule movement of his shoulder. He remained unmoved.

"That she is," he laughed in turn only to become serious once more, "Skittish?"

"Like a wild animal," Elijah sighed softly, "Mother will only scare her away."

Dominic laughed, slapping Elijah on the shoulder. His laughter echoed inside the room, "Seems like you finally got yourself a handful, I'm looking forward to meeting her."

"If she wills it."

"Did I say this before? It's really strange hearing you speak like that," he laughed, "Tell me...does 'she' have a name?"

"Sophia." Elijah peered at his shoulder then looked away.

"Ah, Although I'd love to hear more about how she caught your eye...my presence is needed elsewhere," his father lifted his hands, albeit awkwardly, to check on the smartwatch wrapped around it. It pinged once more making him sigh, "-younglings and their modern tech."

With a final nod towards Elijah, the older man turned and left. Elijah guessed that Amelia was most likely the one calling for him seeing as she was the one to fight the battle to get the damned thing on his wrist.

Elijah watched his father go before turning back to the window and breathing out a heavy sigh.

Now that he was finally alone, his gaze hardened and his mind went back to thinking about Sophia and the oddity in her behavior.

Something happened. Elijah was very sure of it.

He just needed to find out what. Sophia had a rigid tongue sometimes... it made him briefly wonder whether or not she'd tell him in great detail.

♤♡

Sophia felt jittery.

She wanted to sit still, wanted to regain that calm she had before today, when it felt as if she was floating on clouds yet it was impossible to do just that.

Ethan was wrong. Ethan knew nothing of her situation. Him and Olivia were two sides of the same coin, ignorant and fucking delusional. 

Sophia repeated those words in her mind like a mantra yet the damned words didn't want to stick.

Why didn't it stick?

His words were baseless, without truth or fact and she was wrong to be as shaken up as she was right now. Sophia knew all this and more yet her stuttering heart did not stop it's weird uncoordinated beating inside her chest, making her head feel light.

She was on autopilot and the event was over before she knew it. Donnét appeared soon after and Sophia knew it was finally time...

All that was a good while ago and the longer she sat here, inside the soft sofa, waiting as the world carried on around her. The worse that feeling got.

It was awful. She knew exactly that the reality of her and Elijah differed vastly from any fucked up assumptions Ethan made yet even that wasn't enough to keep her old fears in check. Those old fears kept leaking through the tiny cracks in her psyche.

She sat alone. Kayla and Seong had to leave for a short while. Only Donnét and her minions remained, moving about while chatting quietly amongst themselves.

How long had she been here? She couldn't remember but she overheard from one of the others that the Charity follow up event would soon begin.

That made her even more nervous. Sophia remembered the eyes that followed Elijah wherever he went and almost blanched at the thought of them also following her. This time, those eyes would only be in scrutiny, among other things.

Sophia couldn't even take some time to appreciate the white and gold dress Donnet stuffed her in. It was amazing, filled with lace just like the cute tiny mask that were paired with it.

Sophia didn't know if they always had a theme, still she found it a bit bothersome to keep the darn thing on her face . She held onto it regardless.

Donnét remained ignorant to her woes, moving around like busy bees with her team of three this time. She peered at Sophia from every other angle, clapping excitedly to herself.

"Oh my..." she finally spoke, "I'm so happy right now I could..." she sniffed, wiping away non existent tears.

Sophia had to stuff her worries deep down inside, smiling as she replied to Donnét, "Dramatic as always."

Donnét laughed, "Why shouldn't I be? It is fun. Not everyday I get to stand back and properly admire my work. It's always a rush against time," she took a soft white towel handed to her and dabbed at her forehead.

"If you say so," Sophia muttered. She was glad the dress wasn't as awfully heavy or layered. It fit all her curves and even emphasized some she hardly noticed before. Even her bust was pushed up and another neat necklace sat just above them. If Sophia wasn't already swamped with dread she'd admire the way she looked in the mirror.

Sophia suddenly looked up, she almost forgot to ask. "Since you're here...Is there anything I need to know?"

Donnét paused for a second before waving her hand dismissively. "No no, the after party was never known to be formal or as stringent as the event, it's best to think of it as a smaller get together."

"A smaller get together of many rich and important people," Sophia muttered making Donnét laugh.

"Best to think of them as the average Joe to release the nerves...Plus, dont forget who you're attending with. Few would dare approach you or look at you wrong if he sticks by your side."

Sophia immediately pursed her lips as she thought, that's really not gonna be a problem for him. "I guess you're right, Donnét."

"That I am...come now, He's been waiting for the past few minutes."

Sophia's eyes immediately widened and she sat up straight. "He has?!"

Her heart jerked inside her chest and those annoying fluttery insects invaded her stomach again. Sophia could barely wipe the small smile from her face as she got up.

Why did she expect less? When did Elijah ever pass up on opportunities like these? Right now, being with him would be enough to distract her from small fears.

Very few things mattered when it was only them together.

Donnét giggled and nodded, pointing to the other door, different from the one they entered through. Seeing that door, Sophia wanted to laugh. His old habit to situate himself as close as humanely possible would never cease to amuse her.

Sophia nodded to Donnét and moved to that direction. Her legs were a bit sore from walking in heels since morning but Sophia ignored it.

She needed to see Elijah more than anything right now.

♤♡

Minutes flew by at record speed and when the sun finally disappeared, giving rise to darkness. The first few cars began pulling up to another huge building that wasn't too far from the first.

This area wasn't as high profile as the first venue that housed the Event, that in the sense that very few journalists were allowed to linger outside. A lot more security was deployed to deter them along with anyone else who had 'funny' ideas.

The building was tall and the entrance was finely decorated. Flowers of all assortments were on both sides of the short path meading up to the entrance and the ground was covered with a dark crimson carpet that led to the inside. The sight was exquisite but very few of the people making their way into the building batted an eye at it.

They were already used to sights like this and expected nothing less.

No more than 100 tickets were on the market for this close knit afterparty and with counting the ones who were allowed to take a plus one, the entire population wouldn't go over 150, a harsh contrast to the huge yearly turnout for the other event.

There were very few formalities needed, the party began as the total inside went over twenty and as more people joined, a comfortable and exciting atmosphere settled.

Looking down from above, from the VIP area, the sight below was something to marvel at. The room looked grand and the ceilings were high, held up by expertly carved pillars to support the structure. The waiters and other organizers tasked with servicing positions all wore one suit, in the same color and the same simple and easily recognizable mask. They made sure the hands of everyone never remained empty for long.

Even if many of the attendees were upset by the last minute changes, they still went all out, capitalizing on the opportunity to flaunt their backgrounds with ease. The women looked dainty, elegant, and some were somewhat bold with sheer fabric that exposed their slim waists, chests and legs. They wore masks of all sizes and some barely wore any at all.

Behind the scenes, many organizers were rushing around with even more mental load. Any mistake on their part would spell the end of them being hired to take on this event and no one wanted that loss. Not only that but Jiho made sure to leave his warnings and instructions before leaving them.

On the ground floor, in the center of the designated dancing floor, two people stiffly held onto to the other while slowly rocking in tune with the music. Around them were more couples and duos who preferred lingering here than in the bright area. Here was dim, almost dark and quiet so of course many gravitated towards it. 

Seong was as stiff as a steel pole and his movements with Kayla who dragged him over here were very mechanical.

Kayla, for the 5th time hissed out a breath of air, stepping forward with no coordination, bouncing into him. "You're like a fucking robot man...move!" She hissed.

Seong nodded pathetically, his frustration very visible from the small and simple white mask covering his eyes, "You know I can't dance."

Kayla only huffed in annoyance, wanting to throw her hand up in the air, "We aren't even dancing!"

"Then what do you call this?" He murmered.

"You're embarrassing us," she rolled her eyes.

"Hey! You dragged me here!"

"It was only for us to pass time-" she snapped.

Seong huffed, leaning forward to rest his head on her shoulder. "What for? The night only just bega-"

Kayla pinched him and he immediately straightened, she was glaring at him. "Its better to do this than sit and drink what those waiters are offering," Kayla explained, "Its all the strong stuff and trust me...you absolutely do not want to get drunk and make a fool of yourself here."

Seong nodded after thinking about it. Who knew what the rich did to entertain themselves. "I guess you're right."

"You're agreeing with me this easily?" She laughed, "the sky must be coming down." Kayla resumed her slow movements like the people around them.

"Ha," He only made a dry sound.

Seconds later, Seong released a defeated sigh and his hands slid lower from her waist. In that same moment, Kayla froze and shot him a look, bringing his hands back upward. Seong smiled sheepishly after being caught. "-I cant help that my arm gets tired, this is kinda boring."

"I told you it would be, why'd you think I didn't want to come here."

"Yeah but..."

"As a matter of fact, if Sophia wasn't gonna be here I would've already left, find myself a real party and get fucked up for an entire night and two days after."

"I hope you don't mean that literally..."

"Guess," she shrugged.

Seong didn't bother wasting his time, "Oh come on, there must be something you always did to keep yourself entertained after being stuck here."

Kayla paused, thinking to herself, "As a matter of fact, I do...you have no idea how easy it is to find some rich idiot here willing to have a little fun in a bathroom stall."

Seong, after his mind registered her words, immediately froze. His eyes snapping to hers. "You're joking."

Kayla only laughed devilishly, "Nobody will ever know."

Seong's hand almost slipped from the soft lace of her floor length gown. "Be serious, for a quick second please?"

Kayla stared at him in reply, feigning innocence and confusion before suddenly bursting out in laughter. The sudden sound made a couple, with more than half their faces hidden, turn around with frowns on their faces.

"Take a joke idiot," she giggled then grabbed him by the collar, pulling him down to her level.

"Fine then since you wont stop bitching, I'll show you."

Seong didn't get to reply as she was already dragging him out of the dimly lit area to the other side.

"Wait, shit-" She then immediately took a u-turn after spotting a familiar face up ahead, "You absolutely do not want to meet my brother so let's just...go around."

Seong was being pulled all over. He resigned to his fate and allowed Kayla to drag him up a stairwell to the inside balcony overlooking the venue.

"-If were lucky, maybe we can even spot the mayor doing something scandalous," she grinned and pushed him down to sit.

Seong was surprised to hear that, "The mayor is here-?"

"Oh God why is that bastard here too," Kayla cut him off. She was about to answer his question but her eyes that had been scanning the growing number of people down below caught a glimpse of one man that was really hard to miss.

Seong immediately got up from his chair, hurrying to stand next to her. It didn't take seconds before he also spotted that same man that irked his soul.

Seong wanted to curse. How the hell did Ethan gain entry into a place like this?

♤♧

The man in question, Ethan, had a small smile on his face as he led his partner on the carpet, down the few stairs and into the bustling venue.

Although the smile didn't quite meet his eyes, it was enough for his partner to be satisfied. The woman who looked like she was just entering her older years, stared at him with twinkles in her eyes before looking around equally as marveled with the scene around them.

"In the past few years I always felt as if this party was missing something, it seems as if that little something was a theme all along," the woman began, lifting her mask which was supported by a dainty and well decorated piece of thin wood to her eyes.

"-And you, Ethan," She continued, turning her attention towards him, "I'm so glad you decided to accompany me here. That old knob of mine sould rather die than attend a place like this."

Ethan's smile turned stiff, "Its no problem really, Miss May. My intended date canceled last minute and I couldn't let you show up alone with that opportunity could I?"

The woman tsked with a shake of her head, "Puh.. These young women, they always know how to let a good chance pass them by," she frowned. "You're as charming as they come Ethan, the fact that you're not married yet is even more puzzling."

Ethan froze and nearly missed a step. He quickly recovered though, so fast that the woman he walked with barely noticed a thing. "Ha...you keep flattering me, Miss May," he laughed, quickly changing the subject. "Should I remind you that you're the reason I was even able to get the chance to be here?"

The woman waved a hand dismissively, "With my position, doing a good friend a favor is the least. You're an amazing man Ethan, I just hope you'll be able to find the right lady with this opportunity."

Ethan laughed again, "I appreciate it, Miss May."

Ethan swiped of two glasses of a passing waiters tray and gave the older lady one of them, taking a quick sip of the other to hide the fact that his smile was fading fast.

He hated this more than life itself.

Miss May. She was a vice president inside a very important sector at Osoro.co. She was his direct superior and some would say his most powerful backer inside the ranks.

Becoming friends with this woman was a task he took seriously but there was no need for that anymore now that the years flew by. Miss May was already being considered for an even higher leading role which meant it was soon time for him to move up along the ranks but he couldn't even find the joy in that.

Nothing seemed to be going to way he wanted it to go and Ethan found it annoying.

He remained silent and walked over to a group that was just as important in status as the woman he 'chaperoned'. She immediately joined into their greetings and discussion so he had a chance to properly blend into the background.

He didn't need to be introduced as they were already aware of him and his relations with Miss May.

Ethan was glad he remained unimportant to them though, that made it easier for him to take his leave and find himself someplace else. He was planning on leaving this woman very soon.

The thin gray mask covering the top half of his face was annoying and as expected, he wasn't really pleased with the so called 'new theme' in contrast to Miss May.

These damn masks only got in his way and made it harder for him to quickly recognize and take note of everyone in attendance. Well, the most important ones, to be exact.

Ethan considered himself to be a networking specialist. While his target for tonight was a specific woman, that didn't mean he wouldn't take the opportunity to broaden his list of contacts.

The main entertainers for the night had already taken the stage, adding to the air that blanketed the wide space. Ethan looked around aimlessly and even spotted the huge expertly done chart on stage, paired with tiny bells that had the total amount of donations collected with also the names of the many listed charities in elegant fonts.

Millions in donations and his eyes only glanced over it.

There was a huge grand piano and on a small bench next to it, a man sat and played. Singing softly into the microphone.

Ethan looked around and later spotted another sight that was hard to miss. They were like magnets, the center of everyone's attention.

Ethan educated himself properly and that much was clear by how quickly he recognized the members of the Osoro family who stood as if they were the main characters of the night. Dominic, Amelia and Jiho. Their names were imprinted inside Ethans head.

The siblings talked and laughed amongst themselves as if the people surrounding them were air while the oldest Osoro remained stoic as he spoke with another older man.

They partially gave him confidence too. Mr Osoro barely appeared beside or spoke with Sophia at that last event. It was as if he didn't want to be seen in public with her...like they were strangers and it made Ethan grow bolder in his advances.

Sophia really overestimated herself, he thought.  There she was, to unimportant to even be introduced to his family. This only solidified Ethan's views of Sophia's interaction with Mr Osoro being purely a farce.

Ethan's gaze only brushed over those Osoro family members. They were unimportant in the grand scheme of things and he didn't think he'd have any opportunity to interact with them for any reason.

Ethan was looking around, trying to spot Sophia. Was she hiding from him? He questioned internally. The after party had seemingly began half an hour ago yet she was nowhere to be seen.

He guessed she'd most likely be with her friends but he couldn't spot them either.

Ethan was careful not to randomly walk around although it was tempting. That was because unlike the Event where people of all backgrounds attended. Only a select kind were able to find themselves here.

There were people who came from old money, new money, people who partnered with the conglomerate, other businesses chair persons, etc. If you were to accidentally offend any if them, they only needed your name and you'd be finding yourself out of a job the next morning or at your earliest convenience.

Dont even think of complaining to HR for unfair dismissal either. Ethan already knew that HR only existed to placate the employees while only supporting the company in reality. It was the dark truth.

As usual, he steeled himself and thought up his next plan of action. Even if he was too sure about moving around, he certainly wasn't about to spend the rest of the night inside Miss May's shadow.

Minutes ran by and Ethan kept a watchful eye but still, there was no sign of Sophia anywhere. He then made up his mind.

It was time for him to go look for her. Maybe his words from before scared her a lot more than he intended.

Ethan quickly made his intention to leave known and with a nod to Miss May, he sauntered off, departing his now empty glass on a passing tray.

He only made it as far as three steps before gently colliding into a passing woman.

The woman however, fell none too gently on him, as if she was knocked completely off balance. Ethan had to reach out and help her.

The woman in question, straightened with a sound of surprise, "Oh God, I'm so sorry."

Ethan looked up and their eyes met. It was nothing too special or impactful but it still left him feeling strange. "It's not a problem," Ethan murmered, making a move to sidestep her.

"But it is," She immediately got in front once more, her clear eyes apologetic. Even when wearing a mask like that, one could tell that she was pretty. Her dress was a dark green that looked soft and velvety, like silk and her lips were deep red.

Ethan smiled stiffly. Her apologies were like air to him, mostly because right now she was getting in his way.

The woman released a small gasp afterward, "Oh wait...I was looking for you-!" She sounded even more surprised, taking a step closer toward him.

Ethan pause and his brows immediately furrowed, "...Looking for me? Why?"

She still spoke, "-Coincidences sure are amazing, you're Ethan aren't you?"

"...I am?"

She immediately smiled, bright red lips parting to reveal a set of straight white teeth, "Good, good, now...if you follow me I'll..."

Ethan shook his head, not bothering to hide the fact that he'd rather be elsewhere, "I'm really sorry Miss..."

"Seinna," She offered her name.

Ethan nodded slowly, "-Yeah I'm really sorry miss Seinna but I have to go."

"I think you'll be very interested in what I have to say though?" She smiled sweetly yet the humor was absent from her eyes. It made Ethan pause.

"What-?"

Ethan didn't get to continue. His voice automatically got cut off as the sudden pindrop silence registered inside his brain. Ethan went still, then looked around. Everyone had shushed themselves silent, hell, even the person who played the grand piano missed a key afterwards before hurriedly catching himself.

It was no easy feat but, in a room of almost 150 people combined, very little chatter could be heard over the sound of the piano that sounded loud as ever. The silence was only momentous yet left a lasting effect.

In the end, both of them turned and their gazes locked on to the one place where everyone were looking.

♤♡

Jiho was busy. He was standing still yet busy nonetheless. Busy trying not to let his abject stiffness show as he stood close to his father.

He would much rather sit elsewhere but circumstances led him to this crowd. He had no opportunity to slip away mostly because every few seconds or so his father turned and his gaze speared into Jiho, pinning him to the spot.

Just when Jiho began to think he was lucky because their mother was running very late, his father gave him no choice but to stay in this area and wait.

Jiho had a gaze of longing, watching the waiters walk by with trays full of very expensive liquor in glasses. He pitied himself more because he could never taste even a drop of it.

Amelia stood only a few feet away, a smug look on her face as she took unhurried sips of her drink.

"Big brother," she called out in that sickly sweet tone, the one that drove him up the wall. "-why dont you try the orange juice, it's really good."

Jiho didn't answer her, he took a step to the side and turned to face another direction.

Amelia giggled to herself. This was payback in a sense because Jiho had been making fun of her age and the fact that she wasn't allowed alcohol, only to end up not getting any himself.

Jiho also knew that was exactly what she poked fun at but felt it was a waste to entertain her.

"Big brother," Amelia called out again, this time her voice was even closer. Jiho almost lurched because he didn't know when she walked up to him.

Amelia smiled wildly, "-Try some!"

Jiho gazed at her flatly.

"It's really sweet," she smiled, offering her glass and straw.

Jiho sighed in defeat. "Okay fine, if it'll get you to shut up."

The scene that came after was picture perfect. A smaller sibling offering a drink to her much older brother with a cute smile on her face. On the outside it made people tear up at how loving the Osoro siblings appeared. On the inside however, it wasn't pretty because Jiho quickly emptied her drink with one big sip before she could pull it away.

Amelia's eyes went wide and she gasped out loud. Jiho straightened with a very satisfied smile on his face.

Amelia quickly felt an urge and wanted to hit him, then she remembered the not so discreet eyes on them and took a deep breath. She exhaled afterwards and stepped away with the smallest smile, ""-I knew you'd do some shit like that, that's why I spat in it."

She spoke under her breath to Jiho, never dropping her sweet smile then went to discard the glass ignoring Jiho who started coughing. Amelia didn't get to part with the glass because seconds later, her eyes spotted something and it almost made the glass slip from her hands and smash onto the floor.

Amelia was frozen then she immediately backtracked and made sure to blink more than once just in case her eyes were seeing hallucinations. Sure enough, there was nothing fake about that sight. It was very real and it left her incredulous.

"No...fucking way."

Jiho immediately looked up in shock, "Hey! Language, I'm telling Mom-" Jiho got harshly cut off as Amelia lovingly planted her elbow in his side as secretly as she could.

Jiho immediately sobered up, "-What the hell-"

"Jiho...are my eyes deceiving me...or is that my big brother, escorting a woman?"

Jiho immediately froze and then quickly turned to look where she was looking. He was surprised but only for some seconds, the feeling that took over him afterwards was pure excitement.

Jiho thought they'd leave their relationship under wraps for a bit longer but apparently not.

And it was even better this way too. So much better for Jiho who suddenly had to withhold the urge to rub his hands together like an old scrooge.

Ah...finally!

His days of being poor was finally over.

In the short second of silence, scenes similar to this one kept happening in many different ways as Elijah made his way through the crowd. And on his arm was Sophia who's facial expression quite literally matched his in every way.

Many would say it was nothing special. After all, there was many who went with a woman as their date for both the event and the afterparty/charity ball.

In reality though, Elijah was no normal man and in all the years of him being the main host for these Annual events. He never once had anyone hanging off his arm, nor did he display any need or intention to have anyone.

The closest anyone ever got to learning about his private life was years ago after he graduated university and took steps into the world of business. The woman he had at that time couldn't bear not being the center of attention and brought it up so much in her circle everyone got tired of hearing.

As a result. Nothing followed. Not even rumors of a particular chatty one night stand who wanted to become famous overnight.

Elijah Osoro was lowkey. He was someone who kept himself out of the media, only showing up when necessary and where he was absolutely needed, but even then, who would give up the chance to write about the most eligible bachelor yearly? The one who was now seated comfortably at the head of his very influential family and had insurmountable wealth plus a position that made both men and women alike salivate.

Everyone found it strange how he was approaching his thirties with no partner, no wife, not even a child to carry his name to the next generation. When placed beside his father, Elijah was the outlier because even Dominic had a wife before 22 years of age and a child months later. That child would later grow up to be the man who appeared before everyone right now.

Elijah Osoro.

The afterparty continued after people began thawing but even then, a strange air settled. It made many straighten. Even the rich and posh wasn't above gossip.

As expected, their eyes left Elijah who looked as serene and unmoved like usual, and moved towards the lady who held onto him. They contrasted yet seemed to fit together like pieces in a puzzle. What surprised 'some' people even more was the fact that she was a bit...darker than her counterpart.

Everyone had similar thoughts at that exact moment.

"Who is she?"

"Why was she standing that close to Mr Osoro?"

"Did Mr Osoro finally decide to bring a secret fling out into the public?"

"I didn't know his tastes lied in that direction..."

The skepticism and hushed chatter spread like a wave and many began sending out secretive requests to find out any and everything there was to know about that woman. This was regular routine for people who prided themselves in information gathering and knowing everything down to the last detail before going to make introductions.

If Mr Osoro personally escorted her here...there was no way she could be a nobody.

On the other hand, there was a certain woman who remained frozen for much longer. Her face was aghast, one of harsh complication and disbelief as she stared down from her seat on the high balcony.

Her mouth felt dry and bitter and not even the wine she finally had the opportunity to get a glass of could make it better.

To say Olivia was shocked would be an understatement.

Her friends shared alarmed glances with each other and her brother was only staring down at the scene below. He looked quite pensive.

Olivia gripped the glass with a now trembling hand, she held it so tightly it was literally seconds away from cracking.

No..no way!

Her expression got worse and worse as the seconds went by, all color draining from it. She really couldn't believe... hell -she wouldn't have believed it if someone slapped her with such a sight. But there it was, playing out right before her.

And she was absolutely not mistaken.

Olivia made a choked sound at the back of her throat and got up, tearing the sheer mask off her face so harsh it made her hair come undone and fall down her back.

"No..." her voice was quiet whisper she held the finely decorated stainless steel railings, looking over. "...Why her?"

"Come on Olivia maybe it's all just a misunderstandi-"

"Shut up," she snapped, surprising the friend who was trying to console her, "Why the fuck is it her, it should've been me-!"

Marcelo's head immediately snapped to her direction. His gaze was no longer pensive, he looked surprised at her tone at first then his gaze went dark and he quickly got up, sighing in his heart.

Even he wasn't prepared for this sudden development.

• • •

Second chapter posted today <3

Hope everyone enjoyed reading and remember to vote, comment and share if and in any way you can~

I'll be seeing y'all next chapter so happy waiting♡♡

~Nessa

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 48 9
Hendry Arnaud Camden came from a long line of wealth. Hendry was groomed to be one of the successors of his family's wealth. With all the strict rule...
1.3M 40.9K 39
18+ "BABY GIRL I'M NOT SURE I CAN GO ANY FURTHER WITHOUT FUCKING YOU SO HARD THAT YOU'LL SCREAM MY NAME" I feel heat run down to my core. Fuck i want...
39.6K 748 77
I had a one night stand with the self-proclaimed businessman of Manhattan, New York. I have told myself it can't happen again, it just can't. I get t...
190K 7.8K 43
I looked down at my freshly painted acrylic nails. My heart was racing and my palms were sweating. Although I was having a good time. It was time for...